Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starlet , wipers stop in upright position.

• 06-01-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Friend of mind has 98 Starlet and since the snow her wipers stop in the upright position. apart from this they appear to be working fine. I suspect a relay problem, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Anyone here with autodata, maybe they could put up a wiring diagram? I don't have autodata but maybe someone on boards can help me. Hint hint pm me please:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Surely this is a case of either a slipped arm on the wiper motor, or the park switch in the motor itself (less likely)??
    I cant see what wiring problem could cause these symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

wouldn't broken park switch cause it to stop immediately rather than always going to vertical. slipped arm/gear seems most likely, and probably caused by trying to operate wipers when they were stuck to the windscreen due to snow/ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

crosshair1 wrote: »
    Surely this is a case of either a slipped arm on the wiper motor, or the park switch in the motor itself (less likely)??
    I cant see what wiring problem could cause these symptoms.

When the wipers are turned on they go down to the bottom of the windshield and the up again, if it were a slipped arm would they not go the opposite way when turned on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sounds to me like the arm has slipped on the motor. That would cause the symptoms you describe if it moved through approx 180 degrees through the wipers being in the up position, frozen and the wiper motor completing its arc to the parked position.

THis is where I would start looking anyway.

Plenty of broken linkages after the recent cold spell!!!

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    Friend of mind has 98 Starlet and since the snow her wipers stop in the upright position. apart from this they appear to be working fine. I suspect a relay problem, any ideas?
    Do you know when the drivers wiper is at its highest during the wipe, is it nearly coming off the window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Plug wrote: »
    Do you know when the drivers wiper is at its highest during the wipe, is it nearly coming off the window?

No when you turn off the wipers it's not nearly comining of the window, it stops at the top of the normal wiper stroke if you know what I mean.
    Avns1s wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the arm has slipped on the motor. That would cause the symptoms you describe if it moved through approx 180 degrees through the wipers being in the up position, frozen and the wiper motor completing its arc to the parked position.

THis is where I would start looking anyway.

Plenty of broken linkages after the recent cold spell!!!

Thanks a lot this appears to be the general consensus here so I will start there when I next get a look at the car.

Cheers

The Muppet wrote: »
    No when you turn off the wipers it's not nearly comining of the window, it stops at the top of the normal wiper stroke if you know what I mean.

Thanks a lot this appears to be the general consensus here so I will start there when I next get a look at the car.

Cheers
    I wouldn't think the arm has slipped on the motor then. It could be the little cam in the motor or a wiring problem. It depends how it works. A lot of car wipers are controlled by an ECU.

Advertisement