Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO choices

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CMARTY10

When is the final day of CAO form decision time?

Thanks a million!
    p.s i need to freeking make my mind up lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

My first four are medicines.
    After that I haven't ordered them, but the rest will be some selection of
    Theoretical physics - Trinity/Maynooth
    Dental Science - Trinity/UCC
    Pharmacy - Somewhere
    Actuarial and Financial Science - UCC
    Actuarial and Financial Studies - UCD
    Human Nutrition and Dietetics - DIT/Trinity
    Human Genetics - Trinity
    Applied Maths/Physics - UCC
    Human Nutrition - UCD
    Mathematics - ?
    Some kind of engineering, maybe electronic - UCC?
    Biomedical Science - UCC/CIT

I'd be pretty happy doing any of them, which makes this a really difficult choice :-P :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Ok i feel like the odd one out reading many of these posts. but a lot of ye are high flyers. and want the same course. but me im sailing in a total different direction all together.

Level 8
    1. Real Estate(L.I.T)

Level 7
    1. Auctioneering, Valuations,Real Estate(D.I.T)
    2. Construction Management(D.I.T)
    3. Property Economics(D.I.T)

If all those fail its off to England. but i have until july? to sort things out. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Ok i feel like the odd one out reading many of these posts. but a lot of ye are high flyers. and want the same course. but me im sailing in a total different direction all together.

Level 8
    1. Real Estate(L.I.T)

Level 7
    1. Auctioneering, Valuations,Real Estate(D.I.T)
    2. Construction Management(D.I.T)
    3. Property Economics(D.I.T)

If all those fail its off to England. but i have until july? to sort things out. :D

In light of the property crash we've experienced (with the worst yet to come), I'm not sure about the prospects of a career in property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Soldie wrote: »
    In light of the property crash we've experienced (with the worst yet to come), I'm not sure about the prospects of a career in property.

They want a job they like and enjoy for the next 50 years.. Just because the next 5 years will be bad shouldn't dictate the rest of your career!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It actually could be a good thing to do this if you look at it in a way that when things pick up again (which they will ) they will need property retailers again. Because of the fact that people might be moving away from this career choice there will be a limited numbers of valuers and hopefully a lot of jobs! Go with your heart, not your head!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

They want a job they like and enjoy for the next 50 years.. Just because the next 5 years will be bad shouldn't dictate the rest of your career!

If they want a job then they should be aware of the sectors in which there are likely to be jobs (and also be aware of those that have been hit the worst by the crisis). If the poster in question is set on a career in property then so be it; I'm not trying to convince him or her otherwise, I'm merely pointing out that the property sector in this country has been utterly decimated, and is likely to deteriorate even further in the months and years to come. It will be a long time before it recovers, and anyone looking to pursue a career in property should be aware of this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You should probably also bear in mind that the poster will be in college for the most part of the crash. by the time that they graduate things will probably be starting to look up. Don't base your choice on money and career prospects in the future, you can't predict what will happen. Base them on what you want to do. If you're good enough you will be able to get a job somewhere when you need to! If everyone based their college choices on the current state of the country what will we do when in a few years

Apparently my damn phone wouldn't take the whole post! To continue: what will we do when, in a few years, we have lost a whole generation of workers in a sector that is all of a sudden greatly in need?! That could cause just as many problems

Well yes Ireland may take forever to recover. But thank god theres the rest of the world. But there is a positive note to doing this. 1. The classes will be smaller so a student should get more attention(so i been told). 2 The points will be lower due to no one going for it. and in the long run its a skill for life and there will always be something in building.

• Advertisement

If they want a job then they should be aware of the sectors in which there are likely to be jobs (and also be aware of those that have been hit the worst by the crisis). If the poster in question is set on a career in property then so be it; I'm not trying to convince him or her otherwise, I'm merely pointing out that the property sector in this country has been utterly decimated, and is likely to deteriorate even further in the months and years to come. It will be a long time before it recovers, and anyone looking to pursue a career in property should be aware of this.

But your just looking at ireland. What bout the rest of the world. i know most of it other languages but America , Australia, our neighbor next door. Not directing this at you but when one mentions Property. The other assumes They are only going to work in Ireland. It kind of bugs me because no one opens their eyes. To see there is the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I've firmed up my choices a bit, it may change slightly between now and Thursday but I think i'll be sticking with the below

1. TCD Medicine
    2. RCSI Medicine
    3. UCD Medicine
    4. TCD Pharmacy
    5. RCSI Pharmacy
    6. NUIG Medicine
    7. UCC Medicine
    8. UCC Pharmacy (Considering removing one or two of my UCC choices)
    9. TCD Science
    10. TCD Engineering

I'm still considering removing my choices for UCC so as to not put all my eggs in one basket. If I do end up doing that i'll probably swap it out for another Engineering course or a Law degree. I know i'd be being a bit broad having Medicine, Pharmacy, Engineering and Law in my CAO list but I honestly wouldn't mind doing studying either one. I love Science and Engineering (Hence Med, Pharm and Eng) but I also love English.

The one thing that's haunting me though is if I don't get enough points. All the courses i've chosen are fairly high points and one bad exam and the year is lost.

Still four days to go until the deadline though...

You should probably also bear in mind that the poster will be in college for the most part of the crash. by the time that they graduate things will probably be starting to look up. Don't base your choice on money and career prospects in the future, you can't predict what will happen. Base them on what you want to do. If you're good enough you will be able to get a job somewhere when you need to! If everyone based their college choices on the current state of the country what will we do when in a few years, when we have lost a whole generation of workers in a sector that is all of a sudden greatly in need?! That could cause just as many problems

Exactly. Everyone is basing it on the current economy which i am thinking could end up to be a mess. as you say "what will we do when in a few years, when we have lost a whole generation of workers in a sector that is all of a sudden greatly in need?" There will be too many in a certain Sector. And not enough in another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Aviation Managment, DCU, rest are all business in Trinity,dcu,dit.

@partyatmygaff, would you not consider a lower points Science course as a 10th choice as your back up, especially if you're worried about points. It can also be a really good back door into med! Or maybe English if you genuinely think you would enjoy it, although you're clearly a science person so I would be wary seeing as Eng is very different in uni! As you have probably seen from my post I am a huge advocate for the whole have a back up issue! :D Also there is a big difference between Law and English! S
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=70114819

@partyatmygaff, would you not consider a lower points Science course as a 10th choice as your back up, especially if you're worried about points. It can also be a really good back door into med! Or maybe English if you genuinely think you would enjoy it, although you're clearly a science person so I would be wary seeing as Eng is very different in uni! As you have probably seen from my post I am a huge advocate for the whole have a back up issue! :D Also there is a big difference between Law and English! S
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=70114819
    I really wouldn't choose to do graduate medicine. It's far too expensive (To the tune of €52,000 for the four years) and there's also the GAMSAT. I'd much rather repeat than go the graduate route.

As for Engineering, I am quite interested in Engineering. I'm fully aware it's nothing at all like LC Engineering. I know it could be almost classified a maths degree but that doesn't really put me off. I like Maths, just not when your university application depends on it.

Em I was talking about English not Engineering... :P That's up to you but I would still advise a back up! Even if not as a back door! You just don't want to leave yourself with the risk of a 0 offers situation you know? And if you have to you can always save up or start finding ways to get the money together if you need it! That's what I'm having to do for my future law career, and there's no way for me to bypass that either! :) Btw I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to help! :)

Em I was talking about English not Engineering... :P That's up to you but I would still advise a back up! Even if not as a back door! You just don't want to leave yourself with the risk of a 0 offers situation you know? And if you have to you can always save up or start finding ways to get the money together if you need it! That's what I'm having to do for my future law career, and there's no way for me to bypass that either! :) Btw I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to help! :)
    I always write down Eng when i'm taking down homework and it never ceases to confuse me. Then again you don't really write essays on Hamlet in Engineering or draw thermal equilibrium diagrams in English so it all works out in the end :p

I've got UCAS as well as a backup and i've already gotten an offer from University of Ulster. All I need to do is get three As and a B for pharmacy over there.

As for a low points back up I really can't think of anything below 400 points that appeals to me. I know I should have something below 400 just in case things don't go to plan but I haven't found anything remotely interesting to me and i've a lot of things i'm interested in.

Just out of a matter of interest, how is the Law course over at Maynooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

am I the only one with no Idea, my plan was to pick 10 random courses then change in june.
    A teacher recommend an Arts degree in history and geography, but i see no jobs in them besides teaching. he said "you might not get a job in the field you study but they (arts degrees) usually leading onto somthing else"
    why would i study 4-5 years in order to not get a job.

I was thinking medicine (doubt id get the 500+ plus points but its still gonna be my first choice), computers, Journalism, maybe the odd engineering course etc...

just realised its 2:50 AM and im just finished the part of my construction project.
    tomorrow will be fun waking up at 7:30 :(

Personally I love Law here, the classes are small enough that everyone knows each other including the lecturers! The lecturers are really involved with the students as well. If you show any interest in being involved they will try to help! The course is fascinating as well except for EU law... Btw I was the same with the 400 points thing, was just lucky about law through arts here so I threw it down luckily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CMARTY10 wrote: »
    When is the final day of CAO form decision time?

Thanks a million!
    p.s i need to freeking make my mind up lol
    1st Feb, 5.15 p.m.

Do NOT leave it until the last day, the servers tend to implode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

1. Medicine - Nuig
    2. Medicine - RCSI
    3. Biomedical science - Nuig
    4. Biomedical Health and Life Sciences - UCD
    5. General Science - Nuig
    6. Medicine - TCD.

It seems a tad bare with the prospects of four additional courses, but nothing else is worth putting down in my opinion :) nothing I can find anyway. I'd be elated with Biomedical science or general science, I'd take them and not repeat but my heart is set on helping people, so someday, please god, even if not in the near future, I'll get to study medicine :)

Oh and Trinity is there more for the craic than anything, don't worry I know it's an impossible probability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

So far I only have a few choices, I'm clueless for the rest of them...

level 8
    Aeronautical Engineering -UL
    level 6-7
    Aviation Technology - DIT
    Aircraft Systems - Carlow IT

Patri wrote: »
    Oh and Trinity is there more for the craic than anything, don't worry I know it's an impossible probability.
    Once you're putting it at number 6 because you would prefer to get any of the courses listed above it rather than it, not because it's "an impossible probability" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Once you're putting it at number 6 because you would prefer to get any of the courses listed above it rather than it, not because it's "an impossible probability" ...

Well it is at no.6? If I were to get the points needed for Trinity I would be offered Galway because that's my preference. As much as I would study medicine anywhere in the world, Galway will remain less congested with CAO offers than Trinity, it has done year in year out, this won't change this year, as much as you may propose it might? It's there for the craic it was never going to be my no.1 and so it's effectively "an impossible probability".

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

So far I just have:

Veterinary Nursing (AIT)
    Veterinary Nursing (LYIT)
    Veterinary Nursing (UCD)

Probably put those in for now and then add more at a later date. I am also applying for a fetac course in Animal Care in St. John's as a back door just in case.

Quick question, say I have my level seven Vet. Nursing courses down and I put in some random level 8 courses for back up, would I be offered those over level 7 courses? Since they are higher? Or would you get offered first available choice from all three columns on the CAO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

So far I just have:

Veterinary Nursing (AIT)
    Veterinary Nursing (LYIT)
    Veterinary Nursing (UCD)

Probably put those in for now and then add more at a later date. I am also applying for a fetac course in Animal Care in St. John's as a back door just in case.

Quick question, say I have my level seven Vet. Nursing courses down and I put in some random level 8 courses for back up, would I be offered those over level 7 courses? Since they are higher? Or would you get offered first available choice from all three columns on the CAO?

I'm pretty sure you get offered the top one you can from the Level 8s and Level 7s. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works!

Well it is at no.6? If I were to get the points needed for Trinity I would be offered Galway because that's my preference.
    And if Galway is your first preference, what you would most like to be offered, that's *exactly* what you should have as No. 1.
    As much as I would study medicine anywhere in the world, Galway will remain less congested with CAO offers than Trinity, it has done year in year out, this won't change this year, as much as you may propose it might?
    No, I'm not proposing that it will change, I'm just saying that's not a good reason for putting Galway as No. 1 and Trinity as No 6

You should always list your preferences on the CAO in the order you yourself want them, not on the basis of which college is less or more congested / has higher points. Have a read here ... I probably explained it better at the time.

I'm not trying to tell you how to order your courses or anything, I suppose your post caught my eye because it had Medicine at 1 and 2, then a range of science courses, then medicine in Trinity at 6, and some colleges which offer medicine not there at all ...

You will receive two offers (assuming you have indicated preference in each category, and that you qualify for at least one offer in each) ... one from your Level 8 choices and one from your Level 6 / 7 choices.

You're perfectly free to accept your Level 6 / 7 offer rather than your Level 8 if you wish.

I know I constantly harp on about this, but can I strongly advise people to read their CAO handbook. it really does pay dividends on the investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 egennery

Whatever you do, get something on that CAO form bef 1 Feb.

Then get some help to understand exactly what courses will motivate you over the next 4 years. That is down to ability, personality, interests and values. It is an important choice, but not an impossible one.

good luck
    Elaine

Advertisement