Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with my PC and Laptop (same problem!)

• 06-01-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭

This has just happened since yesterday, first both my PC and laptop won't play any youtube clips and now they both won't install any new downloads.
    They will download but then won't let them install. I've done a system restore and since i've done that my microsoft updates won't install now either.
    I have NOD32 on my PC and i actually have no antivirus on my laptop since today as i took that off and tried to install AVG but it won't leave me install that now either!
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

You say that programs and Windows updates won't install. What exactly happens when you try to install a program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Boooourns

bhickey wrote: »
    You say that programs and Windows updates won't install. What exactly happens when you try to install a program?

I've gotten a message that says 'installer integrity check has failed' even though i've tried downloading from different websites.

Boooourns wrote: »
    I've gotten a message that says 'installer integrity check has failed' even though i've tried downloading from different websites.

Can you download a failed program onto a USB key at another location and see if it can then be copied onto and installed on these computers?

Can you download a failed program onto a USB key at another location and see if it can then be copied onto and installed on these computers?

I've just taken the old setup of CCleaner from my PC and put it on my laptop and it installed no problem. What i did notice was when it goes to install it was when it asks 'do you want the following to make changes to your computer' that it has it as a verified publisher, this section is 'publisher unknown' when i'm i go to download and install at the moment. I've tried a couple of different sites so it's not just one in particular.

My Java just tried to update itself and it failed due to the integrity message again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If it's happening to both, then it could be a virus that's been spread via usb drive or email. Any possibility?

My Java just tried to update itself and it failed due to the integrity message again.

So is it reasonable to say that it's only newly downloaded programs that you're having trouble with on either machine?

What broadband provider are you with, what router do you use and have you made any changes to the router settings or computer networking settings recently?

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    If it's happening to both, then it could be a virus that's been spread via usb drive or email. Any possibility?

Not sure tbh, i've been trying to sort out my new HTC desire phone out recently that won't download big files using my home wifi and it will only download them now if i use the 3g network. That's been hooked up to both computers.
    So is it reasonable to say that it's only newly downloaded programs that you're having trouble with on either machine?

What broadband provider are you with, what router do you use and have you made any changes to the router settings or computer networking settings recently?

Yes only new stuff. I'm with NTL and i rang them and they told me there's no problem down their end. I haven't been messing around with my settings but if there's anything i could check just let me know.
    Cheers for all your help btw folks.

It seems some of my settings have been messed up, if i do a format and reinstall will it fix my problem? Looks like i have no choice.

It seems some of my settings have been messed up, if i do a format and reinstall will it fix my problem? Looks like i have no choice.

Hard to say yet. Can you connect the laptop to broadband somewhere else and see if you can download and install anything then? The only common denominator so far seems to be that the problem only relates to the downloading of new programs or to the playing of Youtube clips.

• Advertisement

Hard to say yet. Can you connect the laptop to broadband somewhere else and see if you can download and install anything then? The only common denominator so far seems to be that the problem only relates to the downloading of new programs or to the playing of Youtube clips.

I've just connected to an open connection in my area and tried a download and it worked, it recognised the publisher and installed no problem. I tried the same download under my home connection and it didn't know the publisher and gave me errors again.

Finally, finally finally got it sorted, there was a problem with my router and a simple reboot done the trick. That was a painful few hours, thanks everyone for your replies.

Advertisement