Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbonara - settle a bet

Options
  • 06-01-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Afternoon!

I maintain that a classic Carbonara does NOT have cream in the recipe and that it is only the following:

Pasta of choice
    Whipped egg
    Parmesan
    Cracked black pepper

???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

1/2 pound bacon, chopped (i use the lidl chopped packs)
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 pound fresh spaghetti, cooked al dente
    4 large eggs, beaten
    Salt
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesan.
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerrz

Classic italian carbonara doesn't contain cream see wikipedia link below( I use cream in mine though :D )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

There should be no cream. Although lots of people like it

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

+ cubed pancetta

no cream. pasta water and the eggs (mixed with a little grated Parmesan) make it creamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd go with pasta of choice, egg, parmesan and black pepper being 'authentic', but I also add a little caramelised onion and bacon bits stirred through (do them on a low heat in a pan in a little butter until the onion goes transparent, then starts to take on colour, then add the bacon - takes as long as the pasta takes to cook.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'd go with pasta of choice, egg, parmesan and black pepper being 'authentic', but I also add a little caramelised onion and bacon bits stirred through (do them on a low heat in a pan in a little butter until the onion goes transparent, then starts to take on colour, then add the bacon - takes as long as the pasta takes to cook.)

Went to Il Vicoletto in Temple Bar few years back and tried to order Carbonara with onion.
    The chef popped his head out of the kitchen and screamed NO!!!:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Make it whatever way you think tastes better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There is the "traditional" way to make it but apparently even that changes from region to region in Italy. It certainly doesn't contain cream though. It's quite basic. Pancetta, Pasta, Parmessan, Pepper, some of the pasta cooking water, all served with a raw egg on top. You just mix the egg into the pasta and the residual heat cooks the egg.

I make mine with cream and occasionally mushrooms too. But as irish_goat has said "Make it whatever way you think tastes better"
    People get too fixated on the original or traditional methods way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

BaZmO* wrote: »
    People get too fixated on the original or traditional methods way too much.

Couldn't agree more.
    I add cream, onion, mushroom and white wine. Oh the blasphemy.
    I can eat this everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Correct . NO CREAM.
    butter
    pancetta
    garlic
    eggs
    parmesan
    percorino cheese
    pepper

Having said that a dash of cream is soooo nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Afternoon!

I maintain that a classic Carbonara does NOT have cream in the recipe and that it is only the following:

Pasta of choice
    Whipped egg
    Parmesan
    Cracked black pepper

???

A classic Italian carbonara does not contain cream. :)

However, in a reputable Italian restaurant I worked in we used some good Pancetta cut into small strips fried in a little olive oil, add your cooked pasta (we used Handmade tagliatelle pasta) add your cracked black pepper then quickly mix in a egg yolk and plate, finish with finely grated Parmesan.

in Ireland cream, mushrooms and herbs are also added but its not a true carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

The last time I made a carbonara-esque sauce, I didn't use any cream and made the sauce from a little cornflour and milk. Its just a basic white sauce.

I used plenty of onions, garlic, mushrooms, streaky bacon and herbs. I then added all the fried ingredients to the sauce so the flavour was great. I also like to add a few chopped olives and a decent amount of grated parmesan or other hard cheese on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

The last time I made a carbonara-esque sauce, I didn't use any cream and made the sauce from a little cornflour and milk. Its just a basic white sauce.

I used plenty of onions, garlic, mushrooms, streaky bacon and herbs. I then added all the fried ingredients to the sauce so the flavour was great. I also like to add a few chopped olives and a decent amount of grated parmesan or other hard cheese on top.

Sorry, this just ain't carbonara by any stretch! Not that that matters, if you liked it.

Sorry, this just ain't carbonara by any stretch! Not that that matters, if you liked it.

Thats why I said 'esque' :-) Thought it was worth throwing in considering how many abbreviations there are from a traditional carbonara.

Thats why I said 'esque' :-) Thought it was worth throwing in considering how many abbreviations there are from a traditional carbonara.

Deviations?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Deviations?

haha indeed. Thats what I meant to write!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I always use cream and about 4 egg yokes (for two people) Thats why I have a pain in my chest most of the time!!:) I compare mine to what I get in reastraunts and I prefer mine, bit rich for some tastes though.

murphym7 wrote: »
    I always use cream and about 4 egg yokes (for two people) Thats why I have a pain in my chest most of the time!!:) I compare mine to what I get in reastraunts and I prefer mine, bit rich for some tastes though.
    4 egg yolks for two people?:eek: That's a lot all right.

I'd just use 1 whole egg for 2 people.

Here's a link to the recipe I use. It was also my effort for the Cooking Club last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

egg yolks guys, egg yolks,
    keep the white for merainge's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Magic!

20 quid the better off boys and girls!

Slam

• Advertisement
Advertisement