Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC build. Some questions.

Options
  • 06-01-2011 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Looking to throw together a cheap and cheerful HTPC for the sitting room. I've got a Dual Core Intel CPU(haven't got the exact spec to hand), and 3GB of DDR2 that I'm looking to build it around. Will only be used for watching videos, listening to music, internet. Nothing too intensive.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations for a MaTX MB mainly i think.

Would adding a Blu Ray drive be out of the question given the components I'm using? Would i need to look at a graphics card?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Hi el dude.

I've recently put together a cheap htpc for the living room. It consists of a really basic dual core AMd X2 and just 2gigs of ddr2. Ive not even bothered with a graphics card as the motherboards onboard graphics was absolutely fine for 1080p resolutions. I'd say what you have will be absolutely fine, the only question though is which exact cpu do you have? Without knowing, its very difficult to reccomend you one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

thanks.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27518

99% sure it's that one. I know i should be able to play HD content handily enough but wasn't sure if i was to add a BluRay player. Not a huge concern really. Wasn't planning on adding it straight away anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Yeah that CPU will be fine for HD playback. And aslong as you get a socket 775 mAtx motherboard which has SATA support (They all do) then there is no problem in adding in a blu-ray drive. Do you have everything else apart from the case at the moment? The only problem is finding the right motherboard. I've had a look on quite a few sites and i can find the boards, but none of them with inbuilt HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Yeah, pretty much have the other parts, had them left over over from upgrading a little while ago. I have nopticed that HDMI seems to be absent from, i'd say all of the MaTX boards i've seen. Think i'll get by with VGA and audio jack for the time being though.

Advertisement