Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Edinburgh

Options
  • 06-01-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Am considering a move to Edinburgh (later in the year) for a year initially possibly longer. I would be going on my own more than likely. I'd love some feedback from anyone who has made the move over, what's life like over there? social scene? cost of living?

Are there any recommended sites I can look at to suss out accomodation and the job scene?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Anybody??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've been here 18months now and I love it. From speaking to people (non Scottish) who live here, I've yet to hear bad reviews.
    Job scene is pretty good depending on what line of work you're in, but there's always jobs in bars being advertised.

The cost of living is high compared to most other UK places (think it's 3rd behind London and Manchester) but the wages tend to be pretty decent and the cost isn't that noticeable compared to back home.

Renting would be the most expensive ad you pay council tax as well as rent and you dont get alot of bang for your buck but that being said everything else is pretty cheap.

Accomodation wise:
    For flat shares check out gumtree.
    For your own place I used s1rentals, citylets and rightmove as they contain all the major rental agencies.
    One thing to note if you have no previous references you'll need at least 3 months rent as a deposit (this will be used as the rent for the final 3 months of your lease for a normal 6month lease).

The social scene is very good, different strokes for different folks and it's got great connections with the rest of the UK and only 40mins train from Glasgow so there's always somewhere to go/do.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need to know anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Donkey16

Hey I am planning on moving to Edinburgh/Scotland soon aswell, as the jobs market in Ireland for recent graduates is very poor.

The only problem is I have a part-time job n Ireland ( Sales assistant) which i dont want to leave to move to edinburgh with the risk of gettin no job. Advice anyone??

I have garduated with a business and arts degree last yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You will at the very least get a part time job here anyway.
    Plenty of jobs around for anyone interested in "business" anyway as there's a huge amount of HQs around here.

Advertisement