Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does ordinary flu-jab cover for Swine Flu this year?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭

Hope it's ok to post this question here, was just wondering if the ordinary flu-jab covers for Swine Flu this year?

I got Swine flu jab last year but I never went for the top up.

However, seperately I did get the 'general' flu jab just before Christmas.

I heard recently on the news that the general jab includes Swine flu this year, for health reasons I need to avoid Swine Flu or any other kind of serious viral infection.

Can anybody advise?

Many thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Anything Ive heard is that the flu jab is a two-in-one this year. The docs could tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Influenza vaccines are re-formulated each year to incorporate viruses/viral particles of the strains that are most likely to be a cause for infection in the following 12 months. Due to its prevalence, one of the strains incorporated into the current 'flu vaccines is H1N1 i.e. swine flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I got the jab this morning.

Apparently included are the H1N1 (Swine Flu) the Brisbane, Perth and California Variants.

Don't ask!! I didn't understand. But I was hoping they'd come with some warm sunshine :D:D:D

Regarding the top-up last year. Our son had the top up (he's high risk) our daughters didn't. Our son had the vaccine again today but will only have one administration.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, swine flu def. included.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Louise_M1990

I got the flu jab in October, would that be the same one? Or should I ask for another one? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I got the flu jab in October, would that be the same one? Or should I ask for another one? :confused:

check with your doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Louise_M1990

sam34 wrote: »
    check with your doctor

Yeah I think that be the best thing to do thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

We got the Swine Flu shot last year without a top up jab.

- Anyone know are we still ~90% covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Raiser wrote: »
    We got the Swine Flu shot last year without a top up jab.

- Anyone know are we still ~90% covered?

you need to check with your doctor

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It shold be the same one, that's when this year's vax became available, I got mine then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement