Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practical Advice (trad)

• 06-01-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

won't be doing this till 2012 but i've some questions:P
    i'll be doing the performing and also techology so how many pieces must i perform? im going to be doing 2 instruments both trad (tin whistle and flute) so how many on each?

also what standard should these pieces be at as there is no grading system in place as there is in say piano? could someone give examples of A standard pieces? :D

should these be in sets of 3 pieces or is 2 sufficent?

final question :P i'd imagine there should be a mixture of jigs, reels and airs.. am i mistaken?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm in 5th year too. However I think (I'm not 100% sure) however I think if you do Music Technology you can only perform on one instrument.

I asked my Music Teacher earlier this year as I play Violin and Piano about Music Technology and she told me I could do 2 instrument or Music Technology and One instrument only.... .

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 48 chicken_little

thanks PictureFrame :D i checked the syllabus and it said as a higher level student the choices are three pieces and one unprepared test or two ordinary level performing activities and a higher level unprepared test. So what does this mean?

anyone have any advice on the standard of pieces. the only example the syllabus gives is the Liatrom Reel and i dont have this..

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

For Higher level here are your options...

1. 6 pieces on one instrument
    2. 4 pieces on one instrument and 4 on another instrument.
    3. 4 pieces on 1 instrument and Music Technology.

If you're good at both your instruments i'd go with no.2. When too many people do music technology the examiner can start to grade it a lot harder so doing the two instruments well will benefit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 chicken_little

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    For Higher level here are your options...

1. 6 pieces on one instrument
    2. 4 pieces on one instrument and 4 on another instrument.
    3. 4 pieces on 1 instrument and Music Technology.

If you're good at both your instruments i'd go with no.2. When too many people do music technology the examiner can start to grade it a lot harder so doing the two instruments well will benefit you.

thanks Bbbbloger :D i think ill be taking option 3 though as im only begining the flute. my original plan was to do the airs on the flute but seeing as its not possible the feadóg will do.

Music technology seems a bit too easy alright :) my music teacher has already said i've reached LC standard since september but i still have to start edits after the break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

The edits are just as easy to be honest. I got shown how to use Sibelius yesterday by my teacher and I'm having no problems with it. I've always been handy with a computer but even my teacher thinks Music technology is almost insultingly easy! I'm doing 4 songs and technology too...means I can perfect 4 songs as opposed to 6 or 8.

• Advertisement
Advertisement