Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M1 Garand Essential Reading

• 06-01-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I've decided to do my leaving cert history project on ''The Significance of the M1 Garand during WW2.'' I feel it's not too broad of a subject and can be studied in a fair depth within 1500 words (although I'm probably wrong).

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend some books that might prove useful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

im doing mine on a building in my locality... I should probly start it soon :o

i have a friend doing his on the "development of guns" :rolleyes:, his is way way to broad.

try seaching for "m1 garand pdf" (should get ya offical goverment manuals on the M1) on google or look here, and click through the refrences and external links until you find some solid stuff (u.s goverment reports etc...). and whatever ya do dont put wikipedia down as one of your sources, doubt they would like that. and the fact i can hit edit up the top and change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I've decided to do my leaving cert history project on ''The Significance of the M1 Garand during WW2.'' I feel it's not too broad of a subject and can be studied in a fair depth within 1500 words (although I'm probably wrong).

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend some books that might prove useful.

Remember, not a narrative as such, make it a good analysis. Certainly a very interesting topic and will make a refreshing change I'm assuming.

Post in the Leaving Cert. forum too for some general advice.

As for books, best bet is to check Amazon and see 'what others purchased'. Check the stars to gauge reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The big difference between the Garand and the other main battle rifles in WWII was that the Garand was a semi-automatic and all the rest was bolt action from the British Lee Enfield, the German mauser 98, the Russian moisin-nagant and the Japanese Arisaka. The Garand fired a full blown full bore calibre at a faster rate than the others mentioned above which would have given an American rifle man an advantage over his oponent in a straight fast moving confrontation.

Of course that leaves all the other small armaments out of the equasion like sub machineguns ( the Russians had a cracker that withstood anything the weather and environment could throw at it ), machine guns, mortars etc etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Your best bet is going to be to get onto one of the American firearms boards, and ask for recommendations, preferably e-books.

ar15.com and thehighroad.org might be two options. (Just stay out of the politics/general discussion sections)

NTM

Advertisement