Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thread titles

• 06-01-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Could we bring in a rule saying that the county must be mentioned in the Subject title, or perhaps the admins could put a drop down menu in as part of creating a new thread in this forum same as some of the other forums on boards? At the moment you've to open the threads to try and find out where people are based.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Should have clarified - a drop down with the counties in it that people can select from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

There was some discussion on thread prefixes before. Typically I can't find it now. I don't think we were going to add counties though. It was more to differentiate between people offering their musical services and people looking for musical services e.g. "I am looking for a bass player" and "Bass player wanted in <location>".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Malice_ wrote: »
    "Bass player wanted in <location>".

That would be the quick and easy solution, though people dont often give their location even in the thread itself. "PaintDoctor" : if you hold the cursor arrow over the thread title without clicking, you can usually get the gist of the thread.

Rigsby wrote: »
    That would be the quick and easy solution, though people dont often give their location even in the thread itself.
    They usually do once I tell them to :).
    Rigsby wrote:
    if you hold the cursor arrow over the thread title without clicking, you can usually get the gist of the thread.
    That's correct, I do that quite a lot. Basically hover the mouse cursor over a thread title and the first few lines of the post will popup. See below for an example:

hover_example.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Rigsby wrote: »
    That would be the quick and easy solution, though people dont often give their location even in the thread itself. "PaintDoctor" : if you hold the cursor arrow over the thread title without clicking, you can usually get the gist of the thread.

Agreed, then you do a little shuffle with the cursor, left and right quickly so you can read as much of the thread as possible before the text dissappears! :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah sure I'm round long enough to know that ;) But it'd still be a very quick way to be able to filter through them if we had drop downs, no?

Ah sure I'm round long enough to know that ;) But it'd still be a very quick way to be able to filter through them if we had drop downs, no?

For me, the cursor over the thread does the job nicely. :)

Agreed, then you do a little shuffle with the cursor, left and right quickly so you can read as much of the thread as possible before the text dissappears! :pac:
    :confused: You've lost me now. A little shuffle with the mouse cursor?

I'm just saying that when you have the drop down with counties, it's possible then to filter the forum by that county so you could see all the [Galway] ones together, all the [Cork] ones together, etc. Rather than doing the mouse olympics.

I'm just saying that when you have the drop down with counties, it's possible then to filter the forum by that county so you could see all the [Galway] ones together, all the [Cork] ones together, etc. Rather than doing the mouse olympics.

I understand what you mean, and it's probably a good idea, but the term "mouse olympics" infer that this method is awkward, complex, and time consuming, which I personally, dont think it is.

Maybe if enough people feel the same as you do, the powers that be might do something, but I dont remember anyone else ever having a problem with the present set up.

• Advertisement

Just take for example at the moment if I want to see Cork musicians, I have to hover over most links to see the thread titles, which will take a lot longer than just scanning a page for the [Cork] keyword, and if I want to go back a few pages (Which seem to stack up here quickly over a few hours, this is a busy forum), it's longer again. What is a 5 minute process of going through 2/3 pages hovering over each link to identify who's looking for who where could be really simplified and cut down to a few seconds.

I just think it's a simple thing to introduce and while it won't negatively affect anyone, or the use of the forum, it'll add one positive. Surely that can't be a bad thing?

Just take for example at the moment if I want to see Cork musicians, I have to hover over most links to see the thread titles, which will take a lot longer than just scanning a page for the [Cork] keyword, and if I want to go back a few pages (Which seem to stack up here quickly over a few hours, this is a busy forum), it's longer again. What is a 5 minute process of going through 2/3 pages hovering over each link to identify who's looking for who where could be really simplified and cut down to a few seconds.

I just think it's a simple thing to introduce and while it won't negatively affect anyone, or the use of the forum, it'll add one positive. Surely that can't be a bad thing?

Perhaps you should ask here in the "Feedback" forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Advertisement