Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Your Oddities

Options
  • 06-01-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Most of us have something that does not quite fit into any theme - an oddity so to speak but something usually with an interesting tale behind it. So this thread is to post your oddities whatever they may be!

Here is mine - the Ukrainian Liquidator medal.

DSC01385.jpg

This medal was awarded to the rescue teams that took part in the first days of the cleanup of the Chernobyl disaster, the worst nuclear accident in history. Many of them died from exposure to lethal levels of radiation or developed diseases in later years.

I saw an interview with one of these people before and he was asked did he know it was dangerous. he said that officially they were not told but each man knew that it was potentially a one way trip, which makes their efforts all the more remarkable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

I think that it would be safe to change your "most" to all, or a fluke if they didn't perish. Did you try placing a light bulb on that medal and seeing if it lights up?!:D;)
    Very nice medal and an interesting piece of modern history.

A friend of mines mother was hanging the washing out in Poland at the time and they wondered why the sky darkened. The cloud had spread that far. Well actually there are areas of land to this day in Co. Donegal and Scotland that are still classed as unfit for production of human food- so sheep cannot graze in those areas still. That shows the size of the cloud. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I have one of these medals,when you think, its so little in recognition for what those people went through and I remember reading that a lot of these medals were never awarded due to the people dieing.It's a medal that can be picked up very cheaply still.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Yes indeed its a cheap medal. I seen one some time ago with the identity and some other documentation of the man for less than ten euro.
    And it is also quite a gaudy medal - there is no real elegance to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

HS,
    Good idea to start a thread like this, and thanks for posting the Ukrainian Liquidator medal.
    (BTW, here's a very interesting site that is somewhat related to the theme, it's well worth reading through to the end - some very haunting images)
    http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl-revisited/chapter1.html

This would be one of my 'oddities' - it's not exactly a militaria item, but it has a connection. I'm not a coin collector, but I like the story behind these coins. I know that it's condition is poor, but I didn't buy it for its resale value but just to have as a historical artifact.

This is a piece of what is known as 'Gunmoney'... it's a James II shilling from June 1690.
    James II was the last Catholic monarch to reign over the Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland. He was overthrown in 1688 by a union of Parliamentarians with an invading army led by the Dutch stadtholder William III of Orange-Nassau (William of Orange - his son in law).

He was declared to have forfeited the throne and was replaced not by his Catholic son, James Francis Edward, but by his Protestant daughter, Mary II, and the son-in-law, William III. William and Mary became joint rulers in 1689.

He made one serious attempt to recover his crowns, when he landed in Ireland in 1689 but, having no money to pay an army, he issued this coinage in brass which came from melted down cannons and other sources including church bells.

Intended as a 'token' coinage, it was dated by month as well as year so that it could be redeemed by James after he regained the English throne in the order in which it had been issued.

James was defeated at the Battle of the Boyne in July 1690, and as a result this coinage was discontinued, and it was then considered an offense to have one of these in your possession.

(Apologies for the large images)

100_2320.jpg

100_2318.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have thought about getting one of those before. It's definitely one of the most interesting coins to own and this example is a lot better than many others I have seen.

• Advertisement

Here is one from my collection to keep the thread going - not that odd really just that I never really followed it up with expanding the Franco-Prussian War Medal side of things. I currently own just 2 different Franco Prussian War medals (as well as some paperwork and certs) despite finding this war very interesting I just never felt all that compelled to collect from it. I possibly will move into this area at some future point as this is the war that helped shape the pre-WW1 europe. Re this medal it's always stiking how Metz remains to strategic during WW1 and then WW2 70 yrs later.

Medals59.jpg

Medals60.jpg

Very nice items! And I like the large images as they show amazing detail. I have one or two items that I will post up later. Not as interesting or as rare as the above but I will post them anyway.

That is an interesting site Dan - very spooky images. I imagine it must be very eerie travelling through there with hardly a soul to see.

I never saw one of those coins before - great item and I learned something new! And the link with the Battle of the Boyne. Are they still plentiful? Any item the approx rate for such an item?

1690...I do not have anything that old yet! I was trying to get my hands on some "Notgeld" from Westphalia, in particular the 50 million Mark coin but did not come across a good condition one at the right price yet.

Morlar - just looking at your Franco-Prussian item - it says on it that it is made from fragments of shells from the war.
    Normally its the wearer of an award that may have killed somebdy, not the actual award itself :eek:

That is an interesting site Dan - very spooky images. I imagine it must be very eerie travelling through there with hardly a soul to see.

I was watching a documentary a few weeks ago about the tours that you can take to the site to see the ghost city. They were saying that the radiation naturally starts to sink down into the ground becoming safer over the years. But then dignitries go to visit they have spruch the place up a bit so they weed and dig up the flower beds, grass areas etc- bringing the radiation back to the surface!

I don't know if you would call these oddities or not, but I will post them here anyway. They are not as interesting or as rare as the above but they still have meaning to me.

My Uncle joined the RAF in 1945 and retired from it in 1969. When I was a young kid he gave me his Morse Code training kit. Luckily even as a kid I kept it pristine comdition which I am glad of today.

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

Christmas cards that he sent back home during the 1950s and 1960s from different RAF bases that he was stationed in:
    DSC_0151.jpg
    DSC_0153.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg

Then from my Dad, he was in the FCA during and after "The Emergency" or "WW2" as the rest of the world referred to it as!

Beret badge and cloth ranking stars
    DSC_0143.jpg

His brass button polisher.
    DSC_0142.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

1690...I do not have anything that old yet! I was trying to get my hands on some "Notgeld" from Westphalia, in particular the 50 million Mark coin but did not come across a good condition one at the right price yet.
    :eek:

i got one off ebay a while back, great big lump of a coin. The coin beside it is my personal favourite, Stadt Düren 10 pfenning coin, you can get them for a euro on ebay.
    the bottom coins are from Danzig (g'Dansk).
    i collected a few german coins before collecting photos.

Note the image has been resized to make it smaller, so they arent actual size in the picture
    coins-1.jpg

The last banknotes of Saddam
    scan0005-1.jpg

• Advertisement

I really like that Saddam note- that is some piece of history.

My slugs:

1. British musket ball found in Waterloo, Belgium. Napoleonic War 1815

2. 0.577 inch bullet from a Henry Martini rifle from the Zulu or Boer War. Found in South Africa during the 1960s. 1879-1902

3. 0.455 inch WW1 pistol round from my grandfathers Smith & Wesson revolver. 1914-1918

DSC_0044-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Then from my Dad, he was in the FCA during and after "The Emergency" or "WW2" as the rest of the world referred to it as!

Beret badge and cloth ranking stars
    DSC_0143.jpg

thats a boyscout beret badge, is it not?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    thats a boyscout beret badge, is it not?

To be honest I never really asked much about them as he gave them to me as a kid. And I presumed the whole lot were FCA- and I never looked into any further. I will have to ask him, but I never thought that he was in the boy scouts. .... Interesting....! ;)

Some interesting stuff so far. I see a few things I would like to have :D

Heres another from me - the Rhine Army Cross. Odd in that it is an occupation of a buffer region during peacetime rather than the entire country. After WW1, allied forces were stationed in the Rhineland as part of the Versailles Treaty. This area was also demilitarised to form a buffer zone. No German troops were permitted in this region.

in 1936, Hitler sent his troops into the Rhine in what was his first major gamble. They were instructed to turn back if they met any resistance. The allies did nothing and the Rhineland was swiftly re-occupied. Makes you wonder what would have happened if they were stopped. Probably just a delay to the inevitable.

DSC01394.jpg

To be honest I never really asked much about them as he gave them to me as a kid. And I presumed the whole lot were FCA- and I never looked into any further. I will have to ask him, but I never thought that he was in the boy scouts. .... Interesting....! ;)

its the same badge i had in CBSI, which no longer exists.
    the one star private badges have been out of use for some time, the three star still very much in use, worn with the two stars at bottom and the third star pointing upwards.

Heres another from me - the Rhine Army Cross.

I like that cross!
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    its the same badge i had in CBSI, which no longer exists.
    the one star private badges have been out of use for some time, the three star still very much in use, worn with the two stars at bottom and the third star pointing upwards.

You are right! A quick check on Uncle Google shows that it is a Catholic Boy Scouts of Ireland beret badge. I just have to ask my Da about it now. There is so much that I don't know about his life back then.

That makes two Scouting items I have then!! I have this CBSI beret badge and the Polish Scouts & Girl Guides(the ZHP) Cross of Merit.
    This is the highest decoration of the Polish Scouting and Guiding Association (ZHP). The order was awarded to members of the ZHP for heroic acts. I have the Silver Cross of Merit. (also came in Gold and Bronze).
    Scouting.jpg

In 1939 Nazi Germany and red U.S.S.R. invaded Poland. They then branded the ZHP as criminals and the organisation was made illegal. Nazi Germany executed many Scouts and Guides, along with other possible resistance leaders, but the ZHP carried on as a clandestine organization.
    The Soviet Union held the Boy Scouts that they had captured during the invasion at Ostashkov Prison. But then in 1940 they decided to execute them all.

The Scouts became nicknamed the Szare Szeregi (Grey Ranks) and cooperated with the Polish underground state and the Armia Krajowa resistance. The older Scouts carried out sabotage and armed resistance. The Girl Guides formed auxiliary units working as nurses, liaisons and munitions carriers. At the same time the youngest Scouts were involved in so-called small sabotage under the auspice of the Wawer Organization, which included dropping leaflets or painting the kotwica sign on the walls. During “Operation Tempest”, and especially during the Warsaw Uprising, the Scouts participated in the fighting, and several Szare Szeregi units were some of the most effective in combat.

206px-Srebrny_Krzy%C5%BC_za_Zas%C5%82ugi_dla_ZHP.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Fuinseog,do you know which of the two M.Goldstones listed on the CWGC the Death Plaque was issue for?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Not really an oddity as such, but it's nice to have it all the same...
    A bit of my Great-grandfather reminder, although that eagle had nothing to do with 99 Infanterie Regiment

AH_stuff.jpg

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Hi Fuinseog,do you know which of the two M.Goldstones listed on the CWGC the Death Plaque was issue for?

I would have to check out the paperwork that came with the plaque. all i can remember is that he was Jewish and came from the north of England, lincoln? i will give you a more concrete answer in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

arnhem44 wrote: »

I have just found the documentation that came with the plaque.

31116 Private Mark Gladstone, son of Isaac and Rachel Gladstone of Grimsby, late of the East Yorkshire Regiment fell on 9/04/1917. he was 23 and is buried at Cojeul British Cemetery in St Martin Sur Cojeul.
    hope this narrows it down a bit

Just a few from a pile of Imperial German postcards I picked up a while back....
    Scanned at high resolution - click twice to zoom in.

A serious amount of Pickelhaubes
    (and no awards yet worth mentioning)...
    3FrOJ.jpg

field hospital:
    9EpkS.jpg

Ravaged landscape:
    R2DjS.jpg

danpatjoe wrote: »
    Just a few from a pile of Imperial German postcards I picked up a while back....
    Scanned at high resolution - click twice to zoom in.

A serious amount of Pickelhaubes
    (and no awards yet worth mentioning)...
    3FrOJ.jpg

field hospital:
    9EpkS.jpg

Ravaged landscape:
    R2DjS.jpg

That must have been some artillery barrage to create the landscape in that last picture.

I've been reminded of this by one of the other topics.... This is one of my most prized possessions....

IRA1a.jpg

IRA1c.jpg

I'm so jealous :)

Is that an original logbook with it also?

I'm so jealous :)

Is that an original logbook with it also?

It was my grand uncles medal, the paper is his military pensions certificate. He died in 1942 and his family were presented with this handmade embroidered memorial on a piece of linen bedsheet, which was made by some of his comrades who were interned at the time.

Mem1.jpg

Amazing! I'm very impressed!

They are in pristine condition!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

The Beret badge is the CBSI scouts badge.
    The rank flashes, was not aware of one star rank, thought it started at two star pte....anyone know? I should, I myself was in the FCA, but I went two, three pte to Cpl then. Love the button stick, had one lost it.( yes...I'm old enough to have had brass buttons..:rolleyes:.)...almost looks like they banged them out on the badge die, wish I could find another :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Not odd, but I would imagine not too common

Advertisement