Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Your Oddities

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

The Beret badge is the CBSI scouts badge.
    The rank flashes, was not aware of one star rank, thought it started at two star pte....anyone know? I should, I myself was in the FCA, but I went two, three pte to Cpl then. Love the button stick, had one lost it.( yes...I'm old enough to have had brass buttons..:rolleyes:.)...almost looks like they banged them out on the badge die, wish I could find another :)

Thanks for the info. They are interesting to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This is an oddity I picked up a while back, it came in between a lot of German WWI & WW2 documents and propaganda paperwork. It is a Russian-Japaneese War related document :

docu-27.jpg

It is a Russian, writing in English to a German.

Signed by the superintendant of 2nd Pacific Ocean squadron of fleet captain second rank Alexandr Gustavovich von-Witte lost in Tsushima battle.

Apparently 'Johannisberger' :

to%20captain%20of.jpg

was a German coal ship supplied 2nd Pacific Ocean squadron of fleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Not really an oddity, but the only one I have.
    A portrait of what I believe is a Tim Mahony from Tralee circa 1940, looks to be Cavalry(Beret, Tam-o'Shanter?), came with a couple of Irish army manuals. The photo isn't great quality.

scan0657bbbz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Here is one pair, what I don't own anymore.

Got them as an extra over the deal from Scandinavia (at this time I collected mainly German/Soviet Union stuff from WW2). Pasador top suggests some Spanish speaking country, so I let them go. However, first I put them up on OMSA forum, in order to find out what they are exactly - no one knowed.

As a odd item it was.... turned out year later pretty scarse set what was in use only short time in Argentina Navy. Regrget my decision now:pac:.

0981950323120f_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Morlar wrote: »
    This is an oddity I picked up a while back, it came in between a lot of German WWI & WW2 documents and propaganda paperwork. It is a Russian-Japaneese War related document :

docu-27.jpg

It is a Russian, writing in English to a German.

Signed by the superintendant of 2nd Pacific Ocean squadron of fleet captain second rank Alexandr Gustavovich von-Witte lost in Tsushima battle.

Apparently 'Johannisberger' :

to%20captain%20of.jpg

was a German coal ship supplied 2nd Pacific Ocean squadron of fleet.

I JUST LOVE IT!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

not that odd but made from a brass artillery shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Very cool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

great bit of trench art you got there...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Mousey- wrote: »
    Not really an oddity, but the only one I have.
    A portrait of what I believe is a Tim Mahony from Tralee circa 1940, looks to be Cavalry(Beret, Tam-o'Shanter?), came with a couple of Irish army manuals. The photo isn't great quality.

The cavalry cap is called a Glengarry and is still worn by Irish Cavalry Squadron troopers

Advertisement