Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

halogen lights tripping after being replaced

Options
  • 06-01-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

as the title says my downstairs lights keep tripping after i replaced a blown bulb.

i have 6 downlighters in the sitting room and when i went to remove the blown bulb one of the pins broke off.

i had to get a vicegrips and screwdriver to remove the pin from the socket and eventually i got it out and replaced the bulb.

when i went to the fuse box to turn the power to the lights back on it wont stay up and there is a little flash every time i try to flip it up.

im wondering is it just the fuse on the fuse box that needs to be replaced or something more serious

i wasnt excessively rough when i was taking it out and putting it back together so im not sure what im after doing wrong

any thoughts welcome

jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

are the fittings low voltage or mains, ie....did you have to twist the bulb into the holder or just push the pins straight in.
    sounds like you have mains gu-10 lamps and the removal of the damaged bulb has damaged the lampholder, posibly causing a direct short and therefore causing the mcb to trip and stay tripped.
    if this is the case then you need a new fitting, but first try to remove the bulb you replaced and then try reset the mcb. if you remove the new bulb and the mcb stays untripped then atleast you will have some light till the fitting is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

had to twist them in alright,
    i took the new bulb out again but the trip wont reset just keeps making a popping noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Replace the fitting

just the fitting or do i need a new mcb also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Just the fitting sounds like it over heated and there is a short in the bulb holder, if your not sure about doing it im sure a local contractor will do it for a call out charge. I cannot stress enough to make sure all insulation is pushed well back from light fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

had to twist them in alright,
    i took the new bulb out again but the trip wont reset just keeps making a popping noise.

there is a dead short in the damaged gu10 lampholder dont keep trying to reset the mcb ,get the light fitting replaced.

Is it a straight forward enough to change out the fitting or should I just get a sparky in

easy enough to replace, but if not sure about it get a sparks in.
    you can remove the fitting by getting your finger nails under the edge and gently pull it down till you see the springs, the with one hand retain the springs and pull the fitting down. make sure the power is off and disconect itfrom the cable bring it to your nearest electrical wholesaler and they should be able to match it up.

ok thanks men. ill give it a try tomorrow, will update tomorrow

couldnt wait till morning have it taken out now, robus rs201e,
    anyone have a ballpark figure what these guys cost??

• Advertisement

depending on finish.....cost approx 4 euro. could be cheaper from a wholesaler who stocks them in large quantitys.

switched out the fitting took about 15 mins and flipped the trip switch and we have light again.

got new fitting new connector and pvc tape for 6 euros so all hap now.

big thanks to indie, maxfresh and beanie for input

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

No prob glad you got it sorted :)

Advertisement