Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of cremating kitten

• 06-01-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

We have just discovered over the last few days that my 6mth old kitten has stomach cancer and an abnormal liver, i brought him home from the vets yesterday for some TLC but he will be put to sleep tomorrow evening:(

My son is terribly upset and has asked if we can get him cremated and get his ashes back. Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost?

I already owe the vet E300 for the treatment my kitten has recieved since Monday and Im broke after Christmas,

I'm in Dublin if that makes a difference in price

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:(:(:( Aww thats terrible OP I'm so sorry!!! I got our cat cremated and we got the ashes back in a wooden box shaped like a cat - It cost about €150 I think. He loved to lie on the stairs and block them lol so we have the box at the end of the stairs to remember him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

So sorry to hear that OP,what awful news to get. I got my dog cremated (small to medium size) and it was €120, for a kitten id say itd be less. The casket posted above costs a bit more. I got a scatter tube which is a pretty little tube with a picture of a forest and flowers. I never scattered it though :o I have it with a framed photo of her though on a table in the sitting room.

For a kitten id say you'd be looking at less than €100. Ill find out for you tomorrow though and PM you.

I know it sounds bad, but would you personally be happy with letting your vet "dispose" of the kitten like they do with other deceased pets that arent cremated? Plenty of people do it so dont think cremation is your only option.Its an expensive thing to do so dont in anyway feel guilty for not doing it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ValleyoftheDoll

anniehoo wrote: »
    For a kitten id say you'd be looking at less than €100. Ill find out for you tomorrow though and PM you.

Thank you I would appreciate that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

That's awful! sorry to hear your story :( I don't know about exact prices but It's a good bit cheaper to cremate them if you don't ask for the ashes back (because they can cremate them in a group then instead of individually). A lot of owners go for this option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Sorry to hear that OP. Its heartbreaking to loose a pet. Like another poster was saying above, cremation isnt your only option and either is having your vet dispose of your kitten in his way.

Your son is young and cremation costs a lot of money. How about you bury your pet out in your back garden. We did that with my cat snowy and we placed a little stone statue of a cat above where he is buried, so we know exactly where he is.

You could explain to your son that he could be closer to the kitten in this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Im so sorry xxx.I was going to get my Bruno cremated but after speaking to a few people we decided to bury him so myself and my children had something physical to grieve?We wrapped him in blanket and my children put their favourite teddies in with him.I got a little tree so the kids can watch it grow and know he is "some how" with them xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I really feel for you. I lost my big fella in October and miss him every day.:(

My other cat I had cremated and the vet took care of the ashes. At the time, I couldn't afford individual cremation and always regretted it. So my DH suggested we cremate our fella separately.

I think it cost about E80 and I have his ashes in a sealed box with his name on. It sits on my bedside table and gives us a lot of comfort to know he's still with us. I say 'Good Morning' and 'Good Night' to him every day.

Feelin particularly soppy now. Bonnys anniversary is on sunday(died jan 9th last yr)This is it:
    007_4.jpg

and i put her last collar (she was 14 and had loads of them) around the frame.

008_5.jpg

They're very pretty holders and are the cheapest to buy. Dont feel in anyway guilted into getting a cremation OP, it really is personal taste,feeling and budget.I bought the cheapest because i had every intention of scattering her...i didnt though (and in fairness prb wont now).i wouldnt feel bad at all burying her. It is technically illegal (sorry :o) but we've buried countless pets when i was a kid.

/off to departed pets to post some pics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I don't know how much it would cost, but I think that's the saddest thing I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vixdname

I don't know how much it would cost, but I think that's the saddest thing I've ever heard.

Dont you think it would be sadder if it were a human ?

OP it is a terrible situation, but as another poster said, your child is young and in a years time will probably have forgotten the cat.
    If things are tight financially and lets face it, it is for most of us nowadays !!! Then I wouldnt be putting myself under extra pressure trying to pay for a cat cremation.
    I think the idea of burying it in your garden with a little dog statue to mark the place is a lovely idea - and will be what I will do when any of my mutts croke it.:D

• Advertisement

Its €93.50 ex VAT to cremate a kitten and get the ashes returned in a scatter tube like i posted above. If you need the number of the crematorium send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

vixdname wrote: »
    Dont you think it would be sadder if it were a human ?

OP it is a terrible situation, but as another poster said, your child is young and in a years time will probably have forgotten the cat.
    If things are tight financially and lets face it, it is for most of us nowadays !!! Then I wouldnt be putting myself under extra pressure trying to pay for a cat cremation.
    I think the idea of burying it in your garden with a little dog statue to mark the place is a lovely idea - and will be what I will do when any of my mutts croke it.:D

I tend not to read about 6 month old babies dying of cancer...

I tend not to read about 6 month old babies dying of cancer...

I never said anything about human babies, what are you talking about ?
    The issue with the 6 month old cat dying is very sad indeed but I wouldnt go as far as to say as you did, that it was the saddest story you ever heard......What I said was that if it were human it would (to me) be worse.

Thanks everyone for their help, Max is now in kitty heaven, it was very quick and peaceful.

I chose to have him cremated but I will not get his ashes back, my vet quoted E220 for putting Max to sleep and cremation with returning the ashes, I cant afford that and was too upset to ask about different options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Im so so sorry for your loss xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Seems like alot of money for that?? xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Aww - that's so tough to read, but very glad Max is no longer suffering. He'll always be a kitty in kitty heaven, chasing lots of mice, annoying the older ones and just being a baby....He's looks a beautiful boy too.

Night Max - sleep tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I was very upset to read all that and I am so sorry for you and your son - who sounds like a wonderful and caring little boy:)
    I lost my precious cat, Mog, almost three years ago, on February 11th 2008. He was 15.5 years old. I had him cremated and I lay his little Christmas stocking over the box with his ashes every year - I still miss him so very much:(
    There is a website called www.petloss.com on which you can post a photo and a tribute to your lost pet. They have a candle ceremony every Monday night to remember the pets and it is very comforting - your son might get some comfort from it and it will be nice to see his kitten on-line and he'll feel his little pet was really extra special. It's just a thought and you know best.
    Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the website Shazanne, I will have a look now, it sounds like a lovely idea

Really good idea Shazanne. OP dont feel bad for not being able to afford it, its a lot of money. Comfort yourself with knowing he had a good life and was very lucky to get to live with you and your son.

Very sorry to hear the inevitable happened, tis never easy:(

As one of the others said, the cat was very lucky to have yourself and who sounds to be a very sensitive and caring little boy to look after it during its short little life.
    Both you and you son should be proud of what ye did and of each other.

X - thats a kiss for you and X - thats a kiss for your little lad.

Take care both of you.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement