Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic references

Options
  • 06-01-2011 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,

I finished university almost 1.5 years ago. After I finished I applied for a few jobs related to my degree , for which academic references were required. I asked my dissertation supervisor, and another lecturer, I didn't know too well. Anyway, I never got any of the jobs.

Now, I'd like to apply for a postgrad. I need two references again. Whereas when I just left uni, I was somewhat comfortable asking people who might vaguely know who I was, I'm not too sure now. Firstly the degree is different to what I asked them for references for previously. Anyway, I mean how are these things supposed to be done? In the current jobs market, when I apply for a job related to my degree, they want academic references. Should I be bothering these two academics every time I want to apply for something? One other thing - do you think I should look for different academics, for references, considering the last references obviously didn't convince anyone to hire me (although I obviously accept that it's more likely that they just felt I wasn't suited to the job).?

Anyone know of any countries/institutions that don't ask for academic references? Surely someone must have copped that it's a load of nonsense anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

just ask - I have gone back to one of my old lecturers from 9 or 10 years ago a few times

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Hi OP,

Yeah Id just ask ask too. Iv been out of my undergrad now for about 2yrs but have very recently asked one of my main lecturers to give a reference.

He was very glad to help and very interested in my progress. I think they generally have a ref typed up already if youve asked them before and its just a matter of sending it on.

Whats the worst that can happen? He says no? Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Yes, don't be shy about asking for references. Lecturers get asked for them all the time. They will probably have some kind of reference templates where they will change a few details.

Advertisement