Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pain in the neck of a course

• 06-01-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hello all, don't mean to moan or bring you down with my story. I am currently doing a BTEC diploma in a Further Education college. When I did the interview for it last year, the head tutor said there would be a lot of work. Im in January now of the course and have already done 10 assignments and have two to hand up by the end of next week. Apparently, there are 24 assignments in total for the whole year.

Is this standard for most BTEC courses or indeed further education colleges? The work rate is ridiculous, assignments every two weeks!,and is slightly impacting on my life outside of college.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Yeah there can be quite a few assignments alright. I finished a 2 two year BTEC course last year, had assignments due all the time. I think it's because of the way courses are assessed. My course was all essays. Modules aren't broken up with essays, tutorials, and exams so the assessment at the end is completely based on written assignment.
    But having a heavy workload is what college is mainly about! I'm in third level now under a lot more pressure with essays and exams compared to BTEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think you will get a great deal of sympathy! You were warned there would be a lot of work, and 24 assignments is approx. one a week over the course. What level are you doing? If its anything like FETAC level 5, say, that should be quite possible. Of course its going to impact on your social life, you are getting a qualification - if you were doing a degree it would do more than slightly affect you!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Yeah there can be quite a few assignments alright. I finished a 2 two year BTEC course last year, had assignments due all the time. I think it's because of the way courses are assessed. My course was all essays. Modules aren't broken up with essays, tutorials, and exams so the assessment at the end is completely based on written assignment.
    But having a heavy workload is what college is mainly about! I'm in third level now under a lot more pressure with essays and exams compared to BTEC.

Mine is the same. All assignments. I just hate it.

I've been in college before and the workload wasn't as heavy as this. You got breathing space between assignments. You're exhausted from one and they throw another at you. Third level is more pressurised than BTEC even with exams?
    looksee wrote: »
    I don't think you will get a great deal of sympathy! You were warned there would be a lot of work, and 24 assignments is approx. one a week over the course. What level are you doing? If its anything like FETAC level 5, say, that should be quite possible. Of course its going to impact on your social life, you are getting a qualification - if you were doing a degree it would do more than slightly affect you!

I was warned I know.

Im doing level 5 this year. Second year is level 6 and that's the year to gain entry into college but Im not doing it. I don't know how I'll finish this year. I have had two assignments to do over the xmas break and I've done barely anything. One is done this Monday. The way the assignments are worded are confusing and cause me to get writers block often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Out of interest, what are you studying?

You could talk to the person of charge of your class and they will, in my experience, try and help you in any way they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Dean820 wrote: »
    Out of interest, what are you studying?

Im studying Business and Marketing.
    Dean820 wrote: »
    You could talk to the person of charge of your class and they will, in my experience, try and help you in any way they can.

I'll try that advice. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

This field is hard because real-life marketing and business is all about hard graft, long hours, and persistance.

You will have customers and tax-men demanding more and more for less and you will have to be a tough cookie to get on.

Most business/sales people I know have a passion for their work which goes beyond leisure and social life.

Advertisement