Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy dying more and more.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I just don't think games should be dismissed on graphics alone.

I should have put in a funny picture of smiley to make sure you knew I was joking.

Yes and it slows the game down terribly and makes it even moreof a chore since it takes even longer to kill enemies. The battles are designed to make use of the gambit system and without it they get even more drawn out. Turning off Gambits made it even worse.

Slows the game down? You mean like being whisked from the main world map to a battle screen and back again via another menu with stat updates?

Bah! No pleasing you.

EDIT: By the way I didn't love FF12 but I did enjoy the battles and the systems (didn't use gambits much I admit). It was the characters, races, locations, music and story I didn't like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually liked the story until it just suddenly ended halfway through when it was obviously rushed. Characters were great other than Penelo and Vaan and the cock end with the sunglasses that was Nomura having to get his designs in there somewhere. Locations were fine in some cases but in a lot were just copied and pasted sections and really boring. Music I didn't like until I heard the soundtrack outside of the game. It's actually really good but the sound mixer of the game should be shot because it's in the background and barely noticeable when you play the game.

I really don't mind being whisked to a seperate battle screen as long as the load times aren't criminal or the random battles are infrequent. FFXII's problem was that the enemies just took too long to take down. It wasn't turn based or had loading and yet normal battles took longer than games with turn based battle systems. The really repetitive locations that outstayed their welcome really made the game drag. It wasn'ta bad game but I wasn never really enjoying it and hoping to get to the end of long drawn out dungeons and overworld sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

FF12 battle system is fine to me - at least it made me spend more time on it than ff13.

FF12's is more customize-able than ff13's and it requires you to actually figure out a smart way to setup each character's gambit in order to beat some enemies. you spend time on 'playing' the battle system rather than actually 'fighting' the enemies with the battle system. and that's the problem with FF12, once you get some powerful spells/weapons and you can setup a 'gold standard' gambit that works 95% of the time, it is basically a dumb offline MMORPG. i havent have the chance to try the International version but judging by the huge change of the battle system, they kinda officially admit that our normal FF12 has its big flaws in the battle system....

ff13 has a huge potential but i they ruin it :
    1)level cap according each chapter(this is worst way to give a balance to a game)
    2)some design of the mechanics failed (lightning spell casting is faster, chain system is hard to strategically apply when you are facing some enemies-too many enemies can 1 hit kill your supporter and your attack is cancelled when the character get hitted etc). too many enemies are retardedly designed to waste our time(remember those shield enemies?). and dont let me go to the weapon system. Overall, It is a FF in Monster Hunter version.
    FFXII's problem was that the enemies just took too long to take down.

retro you need to do more ff13's side quests :pac: admittedly i remember some of the enemies in ff12 has crazy Hp, but most of them can be killed quickly if you attack him by weakness/buff. Yiazmat was the only one that i have problem to deal with. but in FF13 you will find some really really nasty enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

seraphimvc wrote: »
    FF12 battle system is fine to me - at least it made me spend more time on it than ff13.

FF12's is more customize-able than ff13's and it requires you to actually figure out a smart way to setup each character's gambit in order to beat some enemies. you spend time on 'playing' the battle system rather than actually 'fighting' the enemies with the battle system. and that's the problem with FF12, once you get some powerful spells/weapons and you can setup a 'gold standard' gambit that works 95% of the time, it is basically a dumb offline MMORPG. i havent have the chance to try the International version but judging by the huge change of the battle system, they kinda officially admit that our normal FF12 has its big flaws in the battle system....

ff13 has a huge potential but i they ruin it :
    1)level cap according each chapter(this is worst way to give a balance to a game)
    2)some design of the mechanics failed (lightning spell casting is faster, chain system is hard to strategically apply when you are facing some enemies-too many enemies can 1 hit kill your supporter and your attack is cancelled when the character get hitted etc). too many enemies are retardedly designed to waste our time(remember those shield enemies?). and dont let me go to the weapon system. Overall, It is a FF in Monster Hunter version.

retro you need to do more ff13's side quests :pac: admittedly i remember some of the enemies in ff12 has crazy Hp, but most of them can be killed quickly if you attack him by weakness/buff. Yiazmat was the only one that i have problem to deal with. but in FF13 you will find some really really nasty enemies.

even some of the normal monsters could be a pain in 13 probably why i couldnt finish it too much time on random enemies that really where not that hard they just had massive hp :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

never liked any of the ff games if im being honest

7 bored me to tears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Penelo.

Reason below.

penelo.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

^^pic doesnt work for me :P

but i defo get wat ya mean:
    dat-ass-4374-1261079704-107.jpg

right??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I enjoyed FF12 and FF13 but Final Fantasy hasn't really been great since FFX as far as I'm concerned (and I wish they would stop giving the online ones roman numerals since I'm not interested in them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Am I the only one who finds RPGS (in general) just to slow? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

It was only lately I found Lucifers Call still in it's wrapping at my parents house. I bought it brand new just before I moved out and I must have forgotten all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Theres still some great jrpg titles out there , Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Quest got great reviews , persona (etc) i agree with final fantasy is going down hill , i hoped ff13 would get me into the series but that wasn't the case.

Advertisement