Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muay Thai in Thailand

• 06-01-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey hows it goin. Seriously thinking about going to Thailand in the summer for 3 months to train Muay Thai and see the country aswell. Have been looking online the last few days and found some really good gyms around Phuket. Just wondering has anyone got any advice or recommendations of gyms and just how the general experience went. Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

There's a poster called Millionaire who spends 6 months a year training Muay Thai in Thailand. Maybe give him a shout?

EDIT: This is him: http://th.linkedin.com/in/gerrynolanrecruiter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

If you go into the Self defence & martial arts forum there have been a few threads on this topic.
    They are worth going over and have excellent information in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

There's a good thread over at sherdog about this.It basically gives a review of price, cost and training quality of all the major and minor gyms around thailand by guys who went there to train.I cant remember where it was but if do a search over there you should find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shinobi academy

have a look on www.muaythailand.com it gives alist of all gyms and reviews from people that have been there its pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Cheers guys I'll check a few of them. Have read a few reviews and contacted 1 or 2 of the gyms Dragon and Suwit seem to be the best value especially Dragon for facilities. Had a look at Patong boxing club great place and cheap but 5km to nearest town/beach and as I'll be on a budget I won't be able to afford to spend too much on transport if I don't need to.

• Advertisement

There's a poster called Millionaire who spends 6 months a year training Muay Thai in Thailand. Maybe give him a shout?

EDIT: This is him: http://th.linkedin.com/in/gerrynolanrecruiter
    Cheers for the link m8 but to get in contact with him I need to subscribe to linked in for 25 quid so I'll leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

It being the weekend the forum can be a bit quiet but give it time there are a good few thai fighters/gym owners that post here so theyn should get back to you on it

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    It being the weekend the forum can be a bit quiet but give it time there are a good few thai fighters/gym owners that post here so theyn should get back to you on it
    Cheers I have looked through the other posts on the subject but they are very old. I'd like to hear from someone who was there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DTB

http://www.sinbi-muaythai.com/ training at sinbi meant to be good.

sanchai has moved to sinbi and does private to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPie3e2ic9A&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Thailand is absolutely awesome, if you go then try and travel! Watch out for the tuk-tuks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Cheers I have looked through the other posts on the subject but they are very old. I'd like to hear from someone who was there recently.

Honestly, nothing much has changed about training in Thailand since those posts were written and there's some great info in them. Here's the long and short of it: Bangkok is great for training, but not so great if you're not mad about spending your time in a city. The islands can have good gyms but tend to be significantly more expensive to live on than the mainland. The cheapest training is up North, but it's harder to find a decent gym.

In general, try not to let facilities be an issue for you. The best kitted out gyms may not be great for training in. Some of the best training is to be had in gyms that have a ring and a few bags.

As for the 5K, it may not be such an issue for you if you end up renting a moped (likely). The islands also have like private van / bus things (they're just vans that drive around in large circles...you hop in and go as far as you want for a fixed price). They pick you up / drop you off anywhere on the route.

If you're gonna spend that long in Thailand, it's worth learning a few key phrases in Thai IMO. I did and even though I was rubbish, for the most part people seemed very appreciative that I at least gave it a lash rather than just assuming they could speak English. Also very useful if you're trying to find a jacks where nobody speaks English. ;)

It's a great country though. You'll have a great time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Oh yeah....when you walk out of the arrivals gate in Bangkok airport, ignore everyone. Walk straight outside and join the queue for taxi's. You get a ticket that has your destination written on it from someone sitting at a table with a little ticket book. There are no surcharges or any of that nonsense. Do NOT take a taxi from anyone inside the airport, or take assistance from anyone inside the airport.

That's worth knowing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Khannie wrote: »
    Oh yeah....when you walk out of the arrivals gate in Bangkok airport, ignore everyone. Walk straight outside and join the queue for taxi's. You get a ticket that has your destination written on it from someone sitting at a table with a little ticket book. There are no surcharges or any of that nonsense. Do NOT take a taxi from anyone inside the airport, or take assistance from anyone inside the airport.

That's worth knowing. :)

The same applies if your going to watch a few fights at Lumpinee, just go straight to the hatch for falang!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Rob Carry

Cheers guys I'll check a few of them. Have read a few reviews and contacted 1 or 2 of the gyms Dragon and Suwit seem to be the best value especially Dragon for facilities. Had a look at Patong boxing club great place and cheap but 5km to nearest town/beach and as I'll be on a budget I won't be able to afford to spend too much on transport if I don't need to.

Trained for a while in Suwit Muay Thai, I found it to be a very good gym with some good trainers. it's well away from the tourist centres of the island, but is close enough to the beach. You get quite a few foreigners there and their standard is very mixed but overall well worth a look. they also have a small on site stadium so they can arrange a fight for you.

Advertisement