Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite poet on the Leaving Cert English course 2011

• 06-01-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055888309

A follow up to last years thread. Who's your personal favourite of the 8 poets on the Leaving Cert course this year.

For me it's a toss up between Dickinson and Yeats. I personally like Dickinson a lot for some reason. Something about her poetry and style intrigues me.

Who is your favourite? 54 votes

Eavan Boland
    0%
    Emily Dickinson
    16%
    Aoifey!Keen2winirish_manGoldFour4mgsg27RainbowDropslydsomKamiKazeKittenSunny!! 9 votes
    Robert Frost
    29%
    BottleopenerdegausserxopartyatmygaffruadhansoccymonsterJ_EswiftbladenuggetclvniamhallenGrindylowcara_Sm4shboxCorkgirl18WonderstruckLittleMissLostwheelbarrow25 16 votes
    Patrick Kavanagh
    22%
    marzh007RMDnorwegianwoodLunoEvan93EverybodyLiesjawnMahoganystealinhorsesheyyjudeEmlieNiall_M93 12 votes
    Gerald Manley-Hopkins
    18%
    Bob the BuilderHelmetpfannkuchenBOHtoxciarashaunasob1467AD61MarthaaPatriKaiserLu 10 votes
    Adrienne Rich
    3%
    DaveMur1PictureFrame 2 votes
    William Wordsworth
    3%
    MellerIan_K 2 votes
    WB Yeats
    5%
    Patriciamc93cocoshovelConstantJoe 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KaiserLu

Gerald Manley-Hopkins
    Kavanagh was a genius. He gets my vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Adrienne Rich
    Gerald Manley-Hopkins,
    Definitely favourite , because im not studying him , I have no reason to hate him making him my favourite :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Robert Frost
    DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Gerald Manley-Hopkins,
    Definitely favourite , because im not studying him , I have no reason to hate him making him my favourite :D

Haha, that's some pretty impressive logic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Emily Dickinson
    Can't remember what it was called, but Kavanaghs poem about his ex really put me off him. He came across as a bit of a hypocrite tbh- writing a poem about how uninspiring she was, and how much of a muse she wasn't :rolleyes:

I like Boland - there's always something that holds my interest in her poetry. Plus, she's damn easy to write essays about :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Emily Dickinson
    Can't remember what it was called, but Kavanaghs poem about his ex really put me off him. He came across as a bit of a hypocrite tbh- writing a poem about how uninspiring she was, and how much of a muse she wasn't :rolleyes:

I like Boland - there's always something that holds my interest in her poetry. Plus, she's damn easy to write essays about :)

Was just about to say the same regarding Boland , find it so easy to write about her compared to others . I also find her poetry easier to understand then others such as Yeats .:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

My favourite would probably Yeats but imo Rich is the easiest to write about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

William Wordsworth
    First one to vote for Wordsworth gets a slap

Robert Frost
    Was just about to say the same regarding Boland , find it so easy to write about her compared to others . I also find her poetry easier to understand then others such as Yeats .:D

On the topic of easy to write about, I've noticed that many people seem to hate Rich, however I think she's by far the easiest to discuss in an essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Robert Frost
    Dickinson. I totally connect with her poetry and love her use of capitals and dashes. I've actually memorised a few of her poems simply for how good they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Robert Frost
    It was a toughie between Dickinson and Yeats :)
    But I went with Dickinson.

Wordsworth's poetry on the other hand can go burn in hell.....
    /creep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I'm repeating so I've had a little bit more time with some of these and others are completely new to me. But out of this list it would have to be Yeats. I would have loved for Walcott to be on the course this year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Which one do I hate least you mean?

Boland's not terrible to study, I found her poetry much easier to relate to then Dickinson.

I absolutely abhor Kavanagh, I find his poetry tremendously arrogant, especially On Raglan Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Yeats got my vote with Hopkins coming in a close second! I like Hopkins' "Terrible Sonnets" but I can't stand his poems of appreciation towards nature...far too light hearted for my liking :p

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Woo Yeats is picking up ha...absolute genius tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Patrick Kavanagh
    Frost has to be my favourite. His poems are communicated in such simple language but carry such profound and universal messages. It's upsetting his poem "fire and ice" is not on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

WB Yeats
    Looks like I am gonna be the one to be slapped cause wordsworth is my favourite becAuse I actually understand his poetry....... And he isn't the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Emily Dickinson
    I don't even do English this year but Eavan Boland gets my vote. All the chaos last year was priceless and the look on some of the fellas in my exam centre last year when she didn't come up. haha absolutely priceless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Adrienne Rich
    I'm not doing my Leaving until next year but I have a question regarding the poetry and didn't think it yielded a new thread. On average how many poets should you cover for HL if you were aiming for an A2?. So far we've covered Kavanagh and Plath. I think we've done 5 poems from each poet. Is this enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm not doing my Leaving until next year but I have a question regarding the poetry and didn't think it yielded a new thread. On average how many poets should you cover for HL if you were aiming for an A2?. So far we've covered Kavanagh and Plath. I think we've done 5 poems from each poet. Is this enough?

Well you have to study 5 poets to be guaranteed that one that you studied will turn up, but you can make use of the fact that every year there's going to be a female poet and an Irish one.

I think it's 6 poems per poet your meant to know? Not entirely sure.

Robert Frost
    Well you have to study 5 poets to be guaranteed that one that you studied will turn up, but you can make use of the fact that every year there's going to be a female poet and an Irish one.

I've been told we have to be able to analyze four poems per poet in an essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Adrienne Rich

Ok. Well i've studied one Irish and one female poet. I think there's 3 females on our course. On average how many quotes would you need per poet to be able to answer a question with detail?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Patrick Kavanagh
    Gotten be Frost. Acquainted with the Night is probably my all time favourite poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

WB Yeats
    I didn't think much of him at first, but Wordsworth has really become my favourite poet. There's something about his poetry, it's easy to understand, and even though some of them deal with death they're always really positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

Patrick Kavanagh
    I will be a happy boy if Frost should appear on the English paper this year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Robert Frost
    Dickinson, Hopkins and Rich for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Patrick Kavanagh
    Frost, most definitely. Beauty through simplicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Robert Frost
    Dickinson is definitely my favourite of all the poets we have. I just love her style.

For second place it's a close tie between Boland and Wordsworth.

Frost gets a respectable third place from me.

As for Kavanagh, I dislike him. No particular reason why, he just comes across as an unlikeable person through his poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Gerald Manley-Hopkins
    Kavanagh is my personal favourite. Aside from making the mondane seem magical and simple comforts sound attractive, he pretty much defines grass roots. Coming from a farming backround, I feel more Irish reading his work, it's wonderful. Ya so Kavanagh for the win! :) Who needs a dance in Billy Brennan's barn anyway...I got your back Kavanagh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

Without any doubt, it has to be Yeats :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement