Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 407

• 06-01-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Cannot engage 3rd gear! Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

is your foot on the clutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

milage, engine size, petrol or diesel?
    Are the other gears engaging ok? Is this a sudden thing - - as in was this building up for a while or did it just happen this morning?
    Could be linkage hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thelaoislad

I have a 2007 407, before 40K miles were on 2 new clutches had been put into it.....found out its happening to almost every other 407 that I know of ..lady at work has put 3 into hers, a 2005 model, 2 others I know put clutches into 07 and 08 models....happening to them all...mechanic who fixed it told me its a design fault with the bearing in the clutch plate ... lovely cars but will never buy one again..BTW they were all diesel ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Will it not engage 3rd at all???

My 05 one has a small problem where it gets stuck in neutral when you try to put it in 3rd while all the other gears work perfectly. Try put it in 3rd again and its still stuck. But usually the 3rd or 4th attempt it engages properly. Don't have a clue what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jt69er

2004 407 1.8st,not big mileage,during the really cold weather gearbox would be frozen in morning but would be ok after running the engine for a few minutes,then a couple of days later could not get 3rd gear,other gears ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

jt69er wrote: »
    2004 407 1.8st,not big mileage,during the really cold weather gearbox would be frozen in morning but would be ok after running the engine for a few minutes,then a couple of days later could not get 3rd gear,other gears ok!

What happens on the 407's the cables from the gearstick to the gearbox
    freeze and make it inpossible to move the gearstick.
    The only solution is to let the engine heat up for 20 mins + which thaws
    out the cables....not so good when your late for work...:(
    I'm thinking you have forced the gearstick and strained one of the cables which inturn makes 3rd gear difficult to select.
    I cannot remember if these cables can be adjusted...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jt69er

Row wrote: »
    What happens on the 407's the cables from the gearstick to the gearbox
    freeze and make it inpossible to move the gearstick.
    The only solution is to let the engine heat up for 20 mins + which thaws
    out the cables....not so good when your late for work...:(
    I'm thinking you have forced the gearstick and strained one of the cables which inturn makes 3rd gear difficult to select.
    I cannot remember if these cables can be adjusted...:confused:
    thanks for your help,off to the garage I think!

Advertisement