Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocky Road to Rot(h)...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Izoard wrote: »
    Nice capture of the conversation involved in trying to wrap training around real life...

Eerily accurate to the conversations i had with Mrs JB:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Just checking back on the distance totals when I joined the S/C/R challenge at the end of March 2010, versus numbers to date for 2011...

26/03/10
    Swim 47,500m
    Bike 1,529km
    Run 383km

18/02/11
    Swim 57,100 (120%)
    Bike 639km (42%)
    Run 304km (79%)

I knew I was doing OK on the swim/ run front, but looking at these figures, I was inclined to get my ar$e on the turbo for the first time in ages...I wasn't doing much on the bike last year either, so this was a wake up call.

Also helped that "The Pacific", arrived the other day...still tuning in after an episode and a half:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Also helped that "The Pacific", arrived the other day...still tuning in after an episode and a half:)

I didnt like the Pacific, quite disappointed with it. No characters really stood out for me in it and I love my war movies.

I was thinking you were flying in the swim front this year, all the hotels you are staying in for work must have pools ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

About 4 weeks in the difference between the dats of those stats too so you are not doing too bad.

Hey IIRC you, jackyback, griffin100, interested(?) and a few others all on 11-12 hour missions so get your weekly short summaries into the mentored thread and the sensei can advise without having to trawl through all of our logs :)

catweazle wrote: »
    I didnt like the Pacific, quite disappointed with it. No characters really stood out for me in it and I love my war movies.

I was thinking you were flying in the swim front this year, all the hotels you are staying in for work must have pools ;)

Jaysus, I'm on very thin ice with the turbo and you pi$$ all over "The Pacific" already?:)

I'm still hooked, but the "macho commander who forms the foetal position at the first sign of the enemy" routine, was very Band-of-Brothers alright...

Haven't been on the road as much as normal, so have been putting the time in, in the pool, as it will drop off over the next few months.

• Advertisement

About 4 weeks in the difference between the dats of those stats too so you are not doing too bad.

Hey IIRC you, jackyback, griffin100, interested(?) and a few others all on 11-12 hour missions so get your weekly short summaries into the mentored thread and the sensei can advise without having to trawl through all of our logs :)

Meh, the bike is off - no question...good kick in the ar$e though...

Re; the sub-10 thread, it seems there is a world of difference between sub-12 (my effort) and what yourself, jackyback and Tunney are knocking out.

I genuinely feel you guys are training for a different event, as there is a "breakpoint" between the blag approach -which might get you to sub 12, versus sub-10 which is a different gig altogether...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

There's almost a month between those two dates. Do you know how training hours compare? Also - have you watched "generation kill"?

asimonov wrote: »
    There's almost a month between those two dates. Do you know how training hours compare? Also - have you watched "generation kill"?

True..but whatever way you look at the bike numbers they are behind, and I've been @ home for a good chunk of the past 6 weeks, so no excuse.

GK looks good, but I'm a bit old skool - my war movies generally terminate around the Vietnam era...

Heading on a road trip with the family to England (the glamour, eh?...) for the rest of the week, so unlikely to be any training going on there.

It is the start of a messy couple of weeks travel-wise, so more catch up to be done come mid-March....

A brisk minus 15 degrees on the mean streets of Moscow, so no outside running...
    Hit the treadmill with the mad idea of doing a half marathon - however multiple episodes of "The World's Strongest Man" had me bored rigid by 14km, so bailed at that point.

At least I know what sport to take up once I get too fat for triathlon:)

• Advertisement

Arrival of a new puppy yesterday, means I'm temporarily banned from the gym in the morning "in case I wake the dog"...:)

Good excuse to get out for a lunchtime run - 16km @ 4:50 pm - longest run in sometime.

Beautiful day for it, smell of fresh cut grass means spring is here and time to really start panicing!

Big volume increase this week - mainly due to time available and growing worry about the lack of time on the bike.

Most of the extra bike work was turbo, but good to get a feel for the tri set up for an extended period.
    Longest session was 2hr 10mins - not quite up there with the epic mcos rides, but was good to stay on the bars for long stretches.

With the weather geting better - time to get out and do the longer rides on the road.

Last 3 weeks:
    4.65hrs
    9.95hrs
    19.45hrs

No adverse reaction to the extra work, although the needle on the weigh scales is remarkably static - must-try-harder!

Will try to do another big week, followed by a tail off, due to travel etc...

Good stuff! I hear ya on the static needle. Just when I lost a few lbs, some more magically appeared last week. I think it may have something to do with m stifling the sugar cravings with EVERYTHING IN SIGHT :(

Good stuff! I hear ya on the static needle. Just when I lost a few lbs, some more magically appeared last week. I think it may have something to do with m stifling the sugar cravings with EVERYTHING IN SIGHT :(

Yep..constant grazing at the kids treat box does it for me.

They get pretty tight rations but somehow we are always at emergency levels:)

I need my mother to move in and monitor my eating habits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Arrival of a new puppy yesterday, means I'm temporarily banned from the gym in the morning "in case I wake the dog"...:)

Beautiful day for it, smell of fresh cut grass means spring is here and time
    to really start panicing!

Another man who has to tip toe out the door in the morning for fear of waking any sleepy heads. Good to see I'm not alone!

I got the grass cut on Sat - no need to panic:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

No adverse reaction to the extra work, although the needle on the weigh scales is remarkably static - must-try-harder!

At this stage I' d take static over rising :D

Just signing up for Olympics tickets - going to bring the kids over to see a few events.

Best news is, they only take Visa - looking forward to breaking the news to Mrs.I, that I'll be needing her card...:)

griffin100 wrote: »
    At this stage I' d take static over rising :D

For a downhill course like Roth, extra ballast might be a bonus...:)

First brick in about 4 years...

Stuck in a Dubai hotel gym, so did 38km bike followed by 7km run.

Doesn't quite replicate the real world, but had a solid dose of jelly legs for the first 3 mins or so.

Still f*%king hate them though:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just caught up with this now, I look forward to jealously watching you progress. How in god's name do you fit 19 hours into a working week?? Im glad Im not alone in the sneaking out of the house in the morning, tho in my case its not to wake the kids, who will want breakfast served and to describe in detail what they just dreamt of.....:)

And re the bricks, if you want to get away with it, load the bike in the car, drive to car park, cycle and run to your hearts content, then drive home via the shop for small placating gifts of chocolate. No going home in between. Works for me. :)

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I just caught up with this now, I look forward to jealously watching you progress. How in god's name do you fit 19 hours into a working week?? Im glad Im not alone in the sneaking out of the house in the morning, tho in my case its not to wake the kids, who will want breakfast served and to describe in detail what they just dreamt of.....:)

And re the bricks, if you want to get away with it, load the bike in the car, drive to car park, cycle and run to your hearts content, then drive home via the shop for small placating gifts of chocolate. No going home in between. Works for me. :)

Hey Oryx,coincidentally, while doing my once-in-four-years brick I was watching highlights of a UK race called the Rat Race/Run, which involved plenty of jumping into rivers and running in wet gear - I presume this is on your bucket list!

The 19 hours includes bike commute, so not really training, but time on the bike all the same.

It is very hit and miss though...I'll be lucky to do 8 hours this week with travel and some weeks it could be zero.

I'm comfortable on a program doing what I can and what I enjoy, so I'm probably unfairly using the OH as an excuse not to do bricks:)

Run #10 in my first pair of Asics (Nimbus 12s)...love them!

Was strictly a Pegasus man, until an un-named run store in Dublin city centre put me on the road to ruin by proclaiming that I needed stability and I ended up in a pair of structure Triax.
    A lot of my achillies problems started around then, but I never put it down to the shoes.
    A recent trip to AK and I ended up back in the Pegasus, but the local sports store had a sale on the Asics, so I gave them a lash (they are pitched as neutral, same as the Pegasus).

So, after some trial and a lot of error, I'll split between the 2, but promise to re-fresh them on a more regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Was strictly a Pegasus man, until an un-named run store in Dublin city centre put me on the road to ruin by proclaiming that I needed stability and I ended up in a pair of structure Triax.
    A lot of my achillies problems started around then, but I never put it down to the shoes.
    A recent trip to AK and I ended up back in the Pegasus, but the local sports store had a sale on the Asics, so I gave them a lash (they are pitched as neutral, same as the Pegasus).

So, after some trial and a lot of error, I'll split between the 2, but promise to re-fresh them on a more regular basis.

+1 on the Nimbus. AK in Galway moved me to these lately and I love them.

Just need to get another pair now and start rotating them.

Grrrr.....

Grrrr.....
    LOL. At least it wasn't the device itself! I remember years ago having a boxer pup who found my brand new iPod Nano. I administered the biggest boot in the arse that I could muster.... to myself, for leaving it within her reach! She was rather comically bemused by my fit of rage though :D

So, I joined the SCR Challenge on March 26th 2010...time for a reference check as to how I'm doing vs 2010

Swim 47,500m
    Bike 1,529km
    Run 383km

Swim 84,700m
    Bike 1,616km
    Run 548km

% of 2010
    Swim 178%
    Bike 106%
    Run 143%

Swim:
    IM 10: 1hr 23
    IM 11 Goal: 1hr 20 & feeling fresh at the end
    Probability of achieving goal: Good.

So far so good. Most of my 2011 sessions are ~3,000m, with little issue. Performance is a little better than last year, but expectation will be to deliver more or less the same performance.

T1:
    IM 10:6min 27sec
    IM 11 Goal: 5 min

Bike:
    IM 10: 6hr 25min 45 sec
    IM 11 Goal: 6hr 15min
    Probability of achieving goal: Poor

Having a major problem with getting the long bike done.
    Longest so far is 81km (today), but real life events mean that opportunities are very limited over the weekends between now and July.

I'll keep at the turbo, but the bike is the reason that I won't be doing an IM for the foreseeable future...

T2:
    IM 10: 5min 07sec
    IM 11 Goal: Goal: 5 min

Run:
    IM 10: 4hr 06min 52 sec
    IM 11 Goal: 4hr
    Probability of achieving goal: Its' all about the bike

Running is going well - even though I bailed on Connemara, I'm getting good mileage done.
    If I can get off the bike feeling like I did in Switzerland, I think I can go sub 4.

Overall:
    IM 10: 12hr 07min 07 sec
    IM 11 Goal: 11hr 59min

The bike is the major problem here - I've been doing distance cycling for a good while, so I'm hoping that when it comes to it, experience will help me through.

Mid week long bike? Book a day or 2 off work to get a couple of key long bikes in? You have the same miles in your legs as last year at this point so you are not doing too badly. Also you have the experience of having an IM under your belt too so that will count. Do a 3.8TT in the pool to see how realistic or soft even that 1:20 might be. If you are stuck for time and can't get 4+ hours done then a shorter session with quality threshold or hill reps work will stand to you too :) You'll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

+1 on the Nimbus. Mine are rubbing one toe and are due for a change so I was considering a diffferent brand. Might give Pagasus a try.
    I'll keep at the turbo, but the bike is the reason that I won't be doing an IM for the foreseeable future...

Probability of achieving goal: Its' all about the bike
    So does Roth not count as an IM ;)

So true about the bike. Focusing on it myself a lot more this year. Now if I could just get my nutrition sorted :rolleyes:..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

Swim 47,500m
    Bike 1,529km
    Run 383km

Swim 84,700m
    Bike 1,616km
    Run 548km

% of 2010
    Swim 178%
    Bike 106%
    Run 143%

Thems good numbers - I can't look at mine as this year has been so bad compared to last year.

I'd say you'r well on for sub 12hrs and beyond. I'm only back on the bike a couple of weeks now and I'm back up to 3hrs easy enough at a decent pace so given how much more you have on your legs I'd say you'll be fine for a 6hr bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey Izo your training seems to be going very well. Agree with mcos on the long bike, with the light evenings you should be able to get a couple of 4/5 hour spins in if you could leave work early.

Advertisement