Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocky Road to Rot(h)...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey Izo your training seems to be going very well. Agree with mcos on the long bike, with the light evenings you should be able to get a couple of 4/5 hour spins in if you could leave work early.

I admire your negotiating skills:)
    Thems good numbers - I can't look at mine as this year has been so bad compared to last year.

I'd say you'r well on for sub 12hrs and beyond. I'm only back on the bike a couple of weeks now and I'm back up to 3hrs easy enough at a decent pace so given how much more you have on your legs I'd say you'll be fine for a 6hr bike.

Part of it is mental, I guess - the comfort of knowing that you've comfortably done a few good spins before the big day.
    Mid week long bike? Book a day or 2 off work to get a couple of key long bikes in? You have the same miles in your legs as last year at this point so you are not doing too badly. Also you have the experience of having an IM under your belt too so that will count. Do a 3.8TT in the pool to see how realistic or soft even that 1:20 might be. If you are stuck for time and can't get 4+ hours done then a shorter session with quality threshold or hill reps work will stand to you too

Yep, I think this (a couple of mid week long bikes during the day) will be the way to go, if the weekends remain blocked off.

I've been putting off the 3.8km TT, but now that you've reminded me...:)

Reverse brick yesterday - 13km run followed by HIM distance on the turbo.
    First time in the 3 hour range on the turbo - finally got through "The Longest Day" and put a big hole into "A Bridge Too Far"...

Some residual guilt over missing Conn, but I'm sure that will disappear once I hit the beach!

It has been my season kick-off event for the past few years, so I'm feeling a little undercooked at the moment - although my run volume is reasonably high by recent standards.

Hope the sun shines for the race - great day out when the weather is kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Izoard wrote: »
    Some residual guilt over missing Conn, but I'm sure that will disappear once I hit the beach!

It has been my season kick-off event for the past few years, so I'm feeling a little undercooked at the moment - although my run volume is reasonably high by recent standards.

Hope the sun shines for the race - great day out when the weather is kind.

I am beginning to regret not having another crack at it myself but I have only been thinking that the past few days - making sure its too late to do anything about it ;)

Dont know about the sun shining, I could have done with a little less heat last year!

catweazle wrote: »
    Dont know about the sun shining, I could have done with a little less heat last year!

Hey CW, yep - it was hot last year - saw one fella in full Mayo colours (complete with rolled down socks) tear off at the start of the marathon, only to be horizontal around mile 6!

I'm much happier in heat than cold, probably due to my sloth-like pace!

Anyways, being solo in the Caribbean, means that I can get some time in the gym between beers & cocktails.
    Good brick session; 31km bike/8km run. Will try to do something similar for the next couple of days.

• Advertisement

Just got a text to say my new tri-bike bike-to-work bike, has been delivered.

Caught on the hop a bit there - will have a bit of explaining to do when I get home:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just got a text to say my new tri-bike bike-to-work bike, has been delivered.

Caught on the hop a bit there - will have a bit of explaining to do when I get home:)

Best of luck explaining that one:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck explaining that one:p

Try hiding it in the garage? My OH spot checks the garage now to see what new toys I've been hiding from her! :D

What did you get? Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭griffin100

What did you get? IIRC you had a nice white Trek Equinox (and we all know white bikes are the fastest) so I'm assume you got a P4 if you're trading up from that :D

griffin100 wrote: »
    What did you get? IIRC you had a nice white Trek Equinox (and we all know white bikes are the fastest) so I'm assume you got a P4 if you're trading up from that :D

The Trek remains the weapon of choice - this is a back up that I will leave in Wexford for the summer and saves me bringing a tri bike up and down from Dublin.
    Actually, that may well be my defense - "think of all the money we will save on fuel by only bringing only one car up & down"

Focus - going cheap on Wiggle...

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Try hiding it in the garage? My OH spot checks the garage now to see what new toys I've been hiding from her! :D

Luckily most toys are more or less invisible or they just wouldn't believe that you might actually spend say, ~€300 on a digital watch Garmin....

3km sea swim with no wetsuit and just a few fish and turtles for company.

Easy to train for tri in these conditions...they should give the Paddies extra points for our normal training environment!

On the way home through Paris and met a bunch of runners returning from the Paris marathon.
    Seemed like it was pretty hot but most were pretty happy with the organization.
    Met one lad I know who's doing Malin-to-Mizen in Sept...training plan involves 13 marathons between Jan & Sept this year:eek:

Nice Roth warm up video..88 days to go!

First early morning outdoor run this year - loved it! Comfortable 17km @ 4:52 per/km pace.

First impressions of the new toy are very positive - serious spec for the $$$.
    Mind you, I haven't ridden it yet, but hoping to give it a test drive tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well wear with the new steed Izoard. Thats 15 mins off your Roth time already ;) Soo jealous of that sea swim. I've lost the gra for the pool at the moment

First early morning outdoor run this year - loved it! Comfortable 17km @ 4:52 per/km pace.

First impressions of the new toy are very positive - serious spec for the $$$.
    Mind you, I haven't ridden it yet, but hoping to give it a test drive tomorrow.

Well wear with the new bike, that is actually one of the bikes i had shortlisted when i was buying as it had a great spec for the price.

Well wear with the new bike, that is actually one of the bikes i had shortlisted when i was buying as it had a great spec for the price.

When I got home, I was stumped with the question:
    "So, which bike does this one replace?":)

When I got home, I was stumped with the question:
    "So, which bike does this one replace?":)

At least you did not get the "Why do you need two bikes you only cycle/need one at a time" my reply of "it should increase my avg speed by 2.95kms an hour resulting in a faster IM bike time" sort of went over her head.

Great to have understanding other halfs though:)

''Why do you need another bike / expensive wheels / an expensive bike / a new wetsuit (delete as appropriate) when you're never going to win a race?''

Wives, can live with em, can't kill em.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    ''Why do you need another bike / expensive wheels / an expensive bike / a new wetsuit (delete as appropriate) when you're never going to win a race?''

Ummmm....harsh!

Did you not tell her you consistently place on the podium for "Giant-riding, Volvo-driving, 40-44 males"* category?:)

* Based on historical data and a fuzzy recolection after Sperrin HIM 10- many not be any of these things, currently!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its not all men who have these problems. 'Youre doing another event? You should give them up, youre getting awful thin....' :)

But Izoard you are taking the mick. You mention swimming with turtles to annoy the rest of us. Ive more chance of swimming with turds. :)

Did you not tell her you consistently place on the podium for "Giant-riding, Volvo-driving, 40-44 35-39 males"* category?smile.gif

Oryx wrote: »
    Its not all men who have these problems. 'Youre doing another event? You should give them up, youre getting awful thin....' :)

But Izoard you are taking the mick. You mention swimming with turtles to annoy the rest of us. Ive more chance of swimming with turds. :)

Ummm, I don't think anyone has ever said to me "you're getting awful thin":)

The turtles were a once-off...Grand Canal Dock is my usual habitat:rolleyes:

28km run in a brutal 2hr 21.
    Felt rough from the off (0630 start after a few bevvies at the RDS:rolleyes:), but glad to have booked my first run >25km this year.

Went out on the new steed yesterday...was impressed with the aggressive TT set up - for about 10 seconds:)

Looks like I'll be investing in a new stem, sharpish.

Dead week ahead due to work travel, so hopefully will get out for a couple of bikes over Easter.

Haven't been near a pool in nearly 3 weeks, so need to get back in the swing of things this week.

Stat check Apr 30th:

2010 2011 %
    Swim 95.9K 108.1K 133%
    Bike 2,347k 2,836k 121%
    Run 573K 772K 135%

On the face of it, looks promising, but today was my first >100km bike - 114km - not really what is required at this stage of the plan...

Will be interesting to see how the Wicklow200 goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Will be interesting to see how the Wicklow200 goes!

Glad I'm not the only one wondering that :)

TCD pool closed for a month! WTF?????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So get the wetsuit on twice a week instead ;) Enjoy the W200

• Advertisement

I'd invite you out to use UCD's lovely new 50m pool but it wont be open until early next year - although in the early days opening was predicted for about now:rolleyes:

Advertisement