Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocky Road to Rot(h)...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Nice session Izoard. I remember those climbs from the W200 last year. Yeah SM descent was a bit hairy alright. Some pretty slow parts and some quick decents too. Hey at least the roads will be nice and smooth in Germany. Jackyback is doing it too, you could hook up wth him. Thats at least one person from the masses who won't laugh at your socks, shopping basket, polka dot combo :)

I might add in the aero helmet while doing 8min kms up the Sally Gap:)

After yesterday's escapade, the plan called for 1 swim and a couple of bike commutes before Athy.
    Then the sun came out...:)

Beautiful 17km run (well, the weather was beautiful, whatever about the aesthetics of the run...) @ 4min 55 per km pace.

No dout I'll pay for it on Sat, but the first run I've actually enjoyed since, well, the last time the sun was out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey Izo good training ride around Wicklow no doubt it will set you up well for the W200. As MCOS mentioned give me a shout if you want some company on the day and i promise not to laugh at the basket and socks:). I am heading out on the TT rig with full IM race day fueling practice etc. I think i read somewhere you were thinking of doing it on the roadie? I think this is a perfect opportunity for you to do it on the TT rig and practice everything for Roth. Roth is probably not as tough as the W200 but it will leave you well prepared for it, just my 2 cents!!

On the SM descent it is really dangerous i think it was in WAR last year that i near came off on loose gravel doing 65kms, scared the crap out of me.

Hey Izo good training ride around Wicklow no doubt it will set you up well for the W200. As MCOS mentioned give me a shout if you want some company on the day and i promise not to laugh at the basket and socks:). I am heading out on the TT rig with full IM race day fueling practice etc. I think i read somewhere you were thinking of doing it on the roadie? I think this is a perfect opportunity for you to do it on the TT rig and practice everything for Roth. Roth is probably not as tough as the W200 but it will leave you well prepared for it, just my 2 cents!!

On the SM descent it is really dangerous i think it was in WAR last year that i near came off on loose gravel doing 65kms, scared the crap out of me.

Hey JB, for sure it would be great to start around the same time - although as soon as the road kicks up, I'm sure that will be the last I see of your skinny a$$...
    If I was in better shape, I'd chance the TT bike, but I know what I need gearing-wise when we hit the the SM/SE double after 130km and it ain't on the TT rig...!

I think there are a couple of other tri boardsies also signed up...RedB, are you out there?

Sent you a pm.

• Advertisement

One of my buddies has signed up for IM CH this year, so he was in and probably looking to get in ahead of me.
    He was looking lean and in good shape - oh dear:)

Real bonus to be off in the first wave - water nice and warm - let's go!

Nice swim, little current, although made the school-boy error of hugging the rope both up & downstream.

Exit the swim - 1:09 - What??? no excuses there...
    No sign of my mate's bike - bad sign.

Sun came out as we were finishing the swim, they've changed the course, so a little more cross country this year, to add to the straight up and down on the main road.
    Wind was surprisingly strong on the last 10km of each lap, which slowed everyone down a bit.
    Was almost solo on Lap 1, until the Olympic racers started to appear.
    A lot of people were passing me on the bike - flat and fast is not a good course for me:rolleyes:
    Paniced when I saw my mate coming the other way when @ 14km (I'd assumed the turnaround was at 20km..turns out it was at 15.5km)..believing he was 12km ahead already!
    Uneventful remainder and complete the bike in 2hr 44.

At this stage my mate was about 12 mins ahead - time to get my skates on.

Not a big fan of the grassy run at Athy, but a lot of people were flagging in the heat and off road conditions - I was ticking along at 5min per km pace and pass a lot of those who had passed me on the bike.
    Caught my mate at 10km and put another 15mins into him thereafter.
    1:41 for the run - really enjoyed it.

5.40 overall -
    enjoyed the day out and plan to be back for more of that next year (as long as they get us out in the first wave).

Wicklow200 next week and then Roth time!

Ballymoney-Courtown-Wicklow Town - Courtown - Ballymoney, with a few detours.

125km in 4hr 20 - perfect day for the TT bike.

Had to put an MTB stem on the new Tri bike, to allow me get on the extensions...the Focus designers must be weeping back in Germany...:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah that kind of mileage is very intimidating :) how do you cope with boredom, which for me is worse than saddle ache?

Oryx wrote: »
    Ah that kind of mileage is very intimidating :) how do you cope with boredom, which for me is worse than saddle ache?

Ideally, you'd do it in a group.
    It is a pain doing it solo, but my anti-social training hours tend to be club-unfriendly.
    TBH, the long bike is my main limiter for future IMs. I don't have the time at weekends any more and in any event I've little motiviation to go out for 4-6 hour solo bike rides.

I did enjoy yesterday though...:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Izoard wrote: »
    Ideally, you'd do it in a group.
    It is a pain doing it solo, but my anti-social training hours tend to be club-unfriendly.
    TBH, the long bike is my main limiter for future IMs. I don't have the time at weekends any more and in any event I've little motiviation to go out for 4-6 hour solo bike rides.

I did enjoy yesterday though...:)
    I'm just anti-social, full stop. ;) (The real reason is I dont think Im up for club riding, not fast enough)

My HIM distance training takes the same hours as your IM, (depressing, lol) and Ive tried radio, chatting on the phone, singing out loud, and I still go off my rocker. Id hoped there was a trick to it. Ive even considered getting audio books on an ipod or lingaphone to learn a foreign language while Im out.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

One of my buddies has signed up for IM CH this year, so he was in and probably looking to get in ahead of me.
    He was looking lean and in good shape - oh dear:)

Real bonus to be off in the first wave - water nice and warm - let's go!

Nice swim, little current, although made the school-boy error of hugging the rope both up & downstream.

Exit the swim - 1:09 - What??? no excuses there...
    No sign of my mate's bike - bad sign.

Sun came out as we were finishing the swim, they've changed the course, so a little more cross country this year, to add to the straight up and down on the main road.
    Wind was surprisingly strong on the last 10km of each lap, which slowed everyone down a bit.
    Was almost solo on Lap 1, until the Olympic racers started to appear.
    A lot of people were passing me on the bike - flat and fast is not a good course for me:rolleyes:
    Paniced when I saw my mate coming the other way when @ 14km (I'd assumed the turnaround was at 20km..turns out it was at 15.5km)..believing he was 12km ahead already!
    Uneventful remainder and complete the bike in 2hr 44.

At this stage my mate was about 12 mins ahead - time to get my skates on.

Not a big fan of the grassy run at Athy, but a lot of people were flagging in the heat and off road conditions - I was ticking along at 5min per km pace and pass a lot of those who had passed me on the bike.
    Caught my mate at 10km and put another 15mins into him thereafter.
    1:41 for the run - really enjoyed it.

5.40 overall -
    enjoyed the day out and plan to be back for more of that next year (as long as they get us out in the first wave).

Wicklow200 next week and then Roth time!

Well done man, you were looking strong when I passed. Bet your glad tp have that under your belt for Roth. Sorry I missed you at the end was on the bike home for my sins.

Got warm on the run did'nt it, and that grassy surface didnt help the speed!

George

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm just anti-social, full stop. ;) (The real reason is I dont think Im up for club riding, not fast enough)

My HIM distance training takes the same hours as your IM, (depressing, lol) and Ive tried radio, chatting on the phone, singing out loud, and I still go off my rocker. Id hoped there was a trick to it. Ive even considered getting audio books on an ipod or lingaphone to learn a foreign language while Im out.:D
    I'd say try suffering a bit more. I know its a long endurance cycle but at same time if you you can sing or chat on the phone i dont think your doing it right.

If i go out on my bike in 'touring mode' i get fairly bored of looking around within half an hour, but when im hammering myself for 3 hours the time flies by.

Maybe break it up into 20mins easy, 20 mins hard and so on

handangeo wrote: »
    Well done man, you were looking strong when I passed. Bet your glad tp have that under your belt for Roth. Sorry I missed you at the end was on the bike home for my sins.

Got warm on the run did'nt it, and that grassy surface didnt help the speed!

George

You'd a great outing at the OLY...very nice bike & run splits!

Enjoy the rest of the build up and hopefully I'll see you ready to roll at the airport...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good Day out in Athy and thanks for the report. Wished I was racing last weekend but I let my HIM go, assuming it would be too much before Roth...

Also, you 5min/km pace will probably not e far off the Roth pace so sub4 marathon or Bust eh

Take it handy on the W200.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I'd say try suffering a bit more. I know its a long endurance cycle but at same time if you you can sing or chat on the phone i dont think your doing it right.

If i go out on my bike in 'touring mode' i get fairly bored of looking around within half an hour, but when im hammering myself for 3 hours the time flies by.

Maybe break it up into 20mins easy, 20 mins hard and so on

Another reason to avoid going solo.

I find when cycling in a group, you are definitely pushing harder, whereas when on my own, I tend to ease off.

I need the discipline of others around me to push myself...which doesn't fit very well with completely solo training:)

Good Day out in Athy and thanks for the report. Wished I was racing last weekend but I let my HIM go, assuming it would be too much before Roth...

Also, you 5min/km pace will probably not e far off the Roth pace so sub4 marathon or Bust eh

Take it handy on the W200.

You are delivering in spades against your plan, so it looks all-good for you.

It appears the sh1te weather is back for the week...here's hoping we'll get something benign on the day for the W200..

As for sub-4?
    Well, if I keep cycling as slowly as I am, it might just be on:)

You'd a great outing at the OLY...very nice bike & run splits!

Enjoy the rest of the build up and hopefully I'll see you ready to roll at the airport...

Thanks was hoping for sub 2:30:00 but ended up 2:30:05 - those damn 5 secs are killing me! Didnt kill myself enough on the run it seems, like all those school reports - Could do better.

Not long to go now Roth awaits..............

George

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lads the race numbers and waves are up on the Challenge Roth website. I'm number 940, wave 4 off at 0700hrs in case either of you are in there with me :) Its starting to feel real now :eek:

Lads the race numbers and waves are up on the Challenge Roth website. I'm number 940, wave 4 off at 0700hrs in case either of you are in there with me :) Its starting to feel real now :eek:

Your with the elite Mike, you can have the beers ready at the finish line. I'm off at 7.25am in Wave 9, himself is 7.30am so he'll pass me on the swim (isnt that right Fergal!).

George

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I think there are a couple of other tri boardsies also signed up...RedB, are you out there?

Just back from an intensive carbo-loading week in Italy :rolleyes:. Had great intentions of training. Brought the swim and run gear, planned on at least hiring a bike, had a training plan, etc but did absolutely nothing :o. Eat plenty of pizza and ice cream and drank plenty of beer and wine. Read 2 books and had quality family time. In the afterglow I mentioned to MrsB on the flight home that I was considering a 2012 IM and while I didn't get a green light it wasn't a straight red either ;). The club are looking at Austria and there's plenty of interest so I'm drip feeding that scenario at home. Picking my battles!
    I did a flat 155km cycle on the May Bank Hol Monday and I've been on the bike for 3 x 30-40km cycles since :(. I've a call put out for an electric bike or a rickshaw service but I'll be at the W200 start line at 7am. I'll be the one with the great tan at the back :cool:.

• Advertisement

RedB wrote: »
    I'll be the one with the great tan at the back :cool:.

I'll just look out for one of those skinny Italian-types with an all-white ensemble (including the obligatory sleeveless top) and mahogany tan.

handangeo wrote: »
    Your with the elite Mike, you can have the beers ready at the finish line. I'm off at 7.25am in Wave 9, himself is 7.30am so he'll pass me on the swim (isnt that right Fergal!).

George

Sh1te! I'm the one that needs the headstart - mcos will probably be back in Dublin by the time I show up!

Planned 20km run replaced by a volunteer day at a Beaver camp in Larch Hill.
    Managed to fall over at one stage and now looking at a rapidly swelling right knee.
    Perfect taper for the Wicklow200.

Throw in the predicted inclement weather and tomorrow promises to be a bundle of fun....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I'll just look out for one of those skinny Italian-types with an all-white ensemble (including the obligatory sleeveless top) and mahogany tan.

Ehhhh no.

By great tan I meant a beetroot red face like this :mad: :o Will have my shiney new blue Limerick Tri top though but the weather forcast might limit its exposure! I will have an all-white bike and as for the skinny Italian-type, well I'm more of a Mick Galway impersonator :p

Well done on the beaver camp but watch out. I offered to help out at one of those one time and I'm now a fully fledged cub leader for my sins! I missed the Munster v Leinster game the other week as I had to take them all off on a camping weekend. Still recovering!

Best of luck tomorrow and enjoy the spin

RedB wrote: »
    Well done on the beaver camp but watch out. I offered to help out at one of those one time and I'm now a fully fledged cub leader for my sins! I missed the Munster v Leinster game the other week as I had to take them all off on a camping weekend. Still recovering!

Best of luck tomorrow and enjoy the spin

Ahh, you didn't miss much there... :)

Planning to head out early - will keep an eye out for the Limerick Tri gear!

Good luck with it...

What's to report?

Lashing rain, high winds and cold conditions all the way around - this is becoming a theme of 2011.

It was a suffer-fest and zero visibility descents were an added "bonus".

On the plus side, I felt good all the way around (aside from the chattering teeth for most of it...) and could have actually considered going for a run at the finish, if only to warm myself up:)

Don't want to look at a bike for a while, so will look to get a few longer runs in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Nice report Izoard, I really like the sound of doing that some day - where do i sign up?

You left your snorkle behind on slieve Mann :)

asimonov wrote: »
    Nice report Izoard, I really like the sound of doing that some day - where do i sign up?

Your feeble 10-min tempo sessions are no match for the epic 14-hour bike rides required to shine at the eh, Wicklow200...

• Advertisement

You left your snorkle behind on slieve Mann :)

Bet you are sorry now you didn't go with the full Tri set up (including a solo tri-suit and pointy helmet...):)

Advertisement