Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wifi router should I buy?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a laptop with wifi. The old desktop pc was connected to the broadband modem by ethernet cable.

I now want to buy a wifi router or modem if cheaper/more available.

Can anyone suggest one with a good range of about 30m.

I have my broadband connection with vodafone and the wireless router/modem is E79.99. Is that expensive?

I was planning on connecting the desktop to the router by cable but any suggestions for a wifi adaptor would be welcome too,
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ericstairs

Hi, I have recently seen the Netgear WNDR3300, I have set up many Netgear wireless routers (recommended) and this one works out of the box. PC World sells them and they are in around 45-50 but cheaper ones do the same job (range,security,features), avoid the temptation to go too cheap i.e anything called Belkin :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I ended up buying this one http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?class=wlan&pmodel=TD%2DW8960N

TP LINK 8960.

works fine and has good range and speed

Great Router for a fair price, i'll look for this brand in the future-enjoy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭francie82

where can i buy this,,i went on to dabs but they are all sold out. any other good routers that are as good of value as this TD-W8960N. any good ones i can just pick up in argos or harvey norman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I have vodafone broadband using a wired voyager router connected to desktop pc. Now plan to get a laptop but also retain the desktop. My questions are,-

--if I get the wireless router will that mean both computers should be connected wirelessly or will I get the option to leave the desktop connected to the existing modem?

--if answer to above is yes,could I then slot the wireless modem into any of the other phone points in the house to service the laptop?

thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I have vodafone broadband using a wired voyager router connected to desktop pc. Now plan to get a laptop but also retain the desktop. My questions are,-

--if I get the wireless router will that mean both computers should be connected wirelessly or will I get the option to leave the desktop connected to the existing modem?

--if answer to above is yes,could I then slot the wireless modem into any of the other phone points in the house to service the laptop?

thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭francie82

u do have the option to leave ur desktop plugged into the router and hav ur laptop wireless. the router can be plugged into any phone point.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Sorry for the hi-jack!

Thinking of changing my eircom route and replacing it with this from amazon. I recently set up a WD Live TV with a wireless dongle and put all my media on it. To stream from the WD TV to my laptop or vice versa is slow, the speeds on the Eircom Netopia are slow. I'm hoping the Linksys E3000 High Performance Wireless-N range will improve the wifi in the areas the Netopia are weak and obviously solve the slow data rate transfer.

Any views?

I would recommend starting a new thread for this - but, you need to make sure the WD live TV device is broadcasting in 802.11n/Wireless N and that your dongle is N capable also, unless you connect the WD live TV device with a cable into a spare LAN port on the new router and then tell the router to broadcast in N signal also, then your videos should stream smoothly.

francie82 wrote: »
    where can i buy this,,i went on to dabs but they are all sold out. any other good routers that are as good of value as this TD-W8960N. any good ones i can just pick up in argos or harvey norman

I bought it on amazon, free delivery to ireland
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8960N-300MBPS-Wireless-connections/dp/B0031SUB4S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭pedigree

nulabert wrote: »
    Sorry for the hi-jack!

Thinking of changing my eircom route and replacing it with this from amazon. I recently set up a WD Live TV with a wireless dongle and put all my media on it. To stream from the WD TV to my laptop or vice versa is slow, the speeds on the Eircom Netopia are slow. I'm hoping the Linksys E3000 High Performance Wireless-N range will improve the wifi in the areas the Netopia are weak and obviously solve the slow data rate transfer.

Any views?

Hi,
    I hear the Linksys E3000 runs very hot,I am looking at the new E42OO.
    Pedigree

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Hi,
    I hear the Linksys E3000 runs very hot,I am looking at the new E42OO.
    Pedigree

Its a bit pricey at £170 on amazon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Looking to upgrade my router. Currently have a netgear WGR614. Guess i'd be looking at an N router, but the main thing i'm looking for is range. Needs to be a cable router. Any suggestions? Looking to keep the price down - €30-50 range. Thanks!

el dude wrote: »
    Looking to upgrade my router. Currently have a netgear WGR614. Guess i'd be looking at an N router, but the main thing i'm looking for is range. Needs to be a cable router. Any suggestions? Looking to keep the price down - €30-50 range. Thanks!

Check out TP Link brand. I have the 8960. its not for cable but Im sure there is a model available. It has got good range and uses the N standard, cheap too from amazon.

Advertisement