Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC upgrade from 8Mbit to 15Mbit, now the WiFi is slow

• 06-01-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi there,

So today I got a text message saying that UPC has upgraded my Broadband from 8Mbit to 15Mbit and I should unplug my modem from the power and then back again.

I did that this afternoon. Now I noticed that the Internet is really slow. Took me about 10 minutes to go on to boards and several other websites, keep timing out etc. Now I noticed that my Wireless signal is really weak.
    First I thought it's just my laptop. I have a MacBook Pro and it shows me a Transfer rate of 1Mbit, normally it's at 54Mbit or even higher. (see picture)

Now my house mate said, she has the same issue on her Windows Laptop. WiFi connection is really weak.

There is nothing new in the house that would jam the signal. So I wonder if it has anything to do with the upgrade today or me unplugging the modem.

I live in the Terenure area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it might just be on a busy wireless channel.

i've heard of the UPC routers resetting some settings after a power cycle so it's possible that it's reset your wireless channel to the default one it ships with and that other nearby users are also on that channel, causing interference.

this is where I'd normally tell people to download inSSIDer and scan for wifi networks in proximity to you, but i see you're using a Mac, so you could try KisMac, iStumbler or MacStumbler.

you're basically looking to find nearby wifi networks and get a visual representation of which wifi channels are busy and which ones overlap which others (there should be a GUI in those apps to show you) so you can find the quietest (and usually best) wifi channel with the least nearby channel overlap interference to use to get the best speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

Hi there,

So today I got a text message saying that UPC has upgraded my Broadband from 8Mbit to 15Mbit and I should unplug my modem from the power and then back again.

Out of interest, what bband package are you on? I thought the 8Mbit was only upgraded to 10Mb for €25 a month?!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

Hi there,

I did this last night and my modem (motorolla surfbox) didn't connect at all, DS light flashing. (It was working fine just before I turned it off.)
    Same story this morning.

Anyone else resolved this issue. Going to call UPC in a while, just wanted to see if anyone else had worked this out.
    Robert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I just got a text from UPC this morning to say they have increased by BB speed from 5Mb to 8Mb, just plug my modem ....

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

billbond4 wrote: »
    I just got a text from UPC this morning to say they have increased by BB speed from 5Mb to 8Mb, just plug my modem ....

Yeah I got that same text, I've always been of the opinion that you get nothing for free in this life so I'm waiting for the catch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I've just gotten the same text. I rang up CS to see what its about and was told that the amount I pay would be going up to €25 (for 8mb)

Could this be correct? Surely if I sign up for a year at one price it should remain at that price

Thats incorrect the price for 5MB bb should only be 23 €pm,
    http://www.upc.ie/about_us/pricenotice/
    I didnt tell them to upgrade me to 8mb BB, so when I see my next bill it should be increased by 1€ as 5Mb was 22 €pm
    And here there is no mention of a price increase to 25 €
    https://www.upc.ie/pdf/Broadband%20speed%20change%20notification%20012011_A.pdf

And anyway 10MB BB is 25€pm. I would say ring up again !! That person has some incorrect info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Got the same txt today. Upgrade form 5Mb to 8Mb. No mention of it being free, so haven't sone it yet. Does anybody know if it means I'll have to pay whatever the rate is/was for 8Mb?

The price for 5MB has gone up to 23€ pm, but at least we got a speed bump to 8MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

billbond4 wrote: »
    The price for 5MB has gone up to 23€ pm, but at least we got a speed bump to 8MB.
    I'm a tad confused about this 8MB offering. UPC on twitter say they've withdrawn this product. I can't find it on their website. Surely we should have been upgraded to 10MB?

• Advertisement

UPC = Confusion

Heres whats happening
    2010 5MB for 22€pm
    Jan 2011 5MB for 23€pm
    Jan 2011 5MB "Gets a name change, to 8MB" and the associated speed increase.
    As the 10MB is now the basic BB plan the older plan the 8MB is no longer available
    But ! (Theres always a but with UPC)
    You can get this newer 10MB BB for 25€pm.

So basically, watch you bill and see what the latest offerings are for UPC as for a bit more € you might be able to get more MB !

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

I was upgraded for free to the 15bit broadband with UPC along with a free hd recorder television box.The broadband service is excellent, never slows, always on, brilliant signal all around the house, the Telly box not so brilliant.

+1
    Think the best setup is UPC for your BB and Sky for your TV.
    I hated UPC crappy analogue service, but had their BB service in athlone since it came out in 2008 and its been rock solid ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Got back after christmas and now my UPC wireless isnt working... Anyone know what could be wrong with it? We're still receving internet but its no working without connecting laptop to the modem.

Advertisement