Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike and Tom Tom launch Garmin killer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

GPS works in combination with a shoe sensor to keep logging your location even when you're running in the city

Wonder what that is about.. hanging onto the nike+ aspect of the runners maybe.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mloc123 wrote: »
    Wonder what that is about.. hanging onto the nike+ aspect of the runners maybe.

similar to the garmin footpod, it'll still work with nike+ in your shoes if you want to run indoors also I guess. Treadmill running is the real need for it I guess but possible it will help fill in blanks in gps coverage where a garmin would just draw a straight line to the point you come back into coverage the nike could draw a wavy one equivalent to what the shoes said.

Properly calibrated nike+ in shoes along with the gps watch should give very accurate results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tap to lap. :(

Were they not paying attention to the great "features " of the 405?

The 3 month battery life is just someone miss quoting from the wrong part of the spec sheet. Once you actually use it for anything other than telling the time the battery life will be back to measured in hours. Using USB interface is good though and probably helps with the battery.

robinph wrote: »
    Tap to lap. :(

Were they not paying attention to the great "features " of the 405?

Hopefully you can lock it off, I only enable the bezel on my 405 to switch to training and then disable it straight away. Even then it can be difficult to get it to change modes again at the end of a run.

At least Garmin kept important things like lap to a button I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

It looks good but doubth it works well.polar tried and failed.I can't see anyone getting near Garmin,too many satelites in the sky;)

• Advertisement

clubcard wrote: »
    It looks good but doubth it works well.polar tried and failed.I can't see anyone getting near Garmin,too many satelites in the sky;)

:confused: everyone uses the same sats and tom tom are pretty good at the sat nav end of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

I was told when i returned my polar this was the reason why it wassn't picking up the signal:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It sounds pretty good.. Will reserve judgement until the reviews come in.

There is already a decent competitor to the Garmin though, in the form of the Timex Ironman GPS. Not sure that it offers much more than the Garmin range though, arriving on the scene on somewhat of a similar footing.

I was told when i returned my polar this was the reason why it wassn't picking up the signal:confused:
    Lol. Someone's taking the pi$$.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:D

Someone didn't have a clue what they are talking about.

There are one set of US military satellites up there, plus a couple of EU and Russian ones but they don't really count. They are all transmitting a bunch of data as they fly over head, the Garmin/ TomTom/ whatever all receive this same data and use that to figure out where you are (they even all have pretty much the same hardware inside to do this).

There is no transmitting of where you are going on, the Garmin/ Tom Tom/ whatever is just like an FM Radio in that respect, anyone can pick up the radio signal bur RTE have no idea who it is that is that is doing so. The same with the GPS signals.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    There is no transmitting of where you are going on, the Garmin/ Tom Tom/ whatever is just like an FM Radio in that respect, anyone can pick up the radio signal bur RTE have no idea who it is that is that is doing so. The same with the GPS signals.
    Don't be telling lies robinph. Everyone knows the government can track you using your GPS receiver. I work for the government as an athlete tracker. That's why I'm always promoting Garmins. They're the easiest to track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Don't be telling lies robinph. Everyone knows the government can track you using your GPS receiver. I work for the government as an athlete tracker. That's why I'm always promoting Garmins. They're the easiest to track.

Well they might if they had a coherent IT policy and a proper computer infrastructure, but they dont, so in Ireland we are all safe from goverment tracking.

huskerdu wrote: »
    Well they might if they had a coherent IT policy and a proper computer infrastructure, but they dont, so in Ireland we are all safe from goverment tracking.
    Sure all I need is Garmin Connect, Notepad, a UHF aerial and my tinfoil hat. I see you are home right now. Krusty knows all. :eek:

That's why I have multiple GPS devices on me at a time, so that they all interfere with each other and you can no longer track me as I go on my evil missions. Muhahahaha!

Otherwise you'd be able to track the fillings in my teeth, and I can't be having that.

Another preview of the Nike+ Sportswatch GPS. $200, which seems like a good price. Looks like they may be competing in the entry level Forerunner 110 type market. Full review in a couple of weeks.

IMGP2450-300x225.jpg
    Compatible with the Nike+/Apple footpod (which personally I don't rate at all).

IMGP2444-300x225.jpg

IMGP2445-300x210.jpg

I see Lance has one already based on his twitter anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

mloc123 wrote: »
    I see Lance has one already based on his twitter anyway

I bet he did not have to pay for it, though

I bet he did not have to pay for it, though

Maybe not with cash but I am sure he gave up another bit of his soul for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Bought one of these and it arrived today. It's my first gps watch so I've nothing to compare it to, but I have to say I'm very impressed so far. It does everything I was looking for and more. Happy days!

Interested to see how it works out for you, the FR 601 release has possibly taken the lead again for me in potential 401 replacements

• Advertisement

I don't think this has been posted in here, so...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/04/brief-look-at-nike-sportwatch-gps.html

copacetic wrote: »
    Interested to see how it works out for you, the FR 601 release has possibly taken the lead again for me in potential 401 replacements
    In my mind there just isn't enough to warrant upgrading from my 405 (as I just don't to the tunney-level of data analysis), so until my 405 breaks, I'm happy with the one I have. I do reckon the watch will ultimately break though. With 6,582 miles it's already had a solid innings.

In my mind there just isn't enough to warrant upgrading from my 405 (as I just don't to the tunney-level of data analysis), so until my 405 breaks, I'm happy with the one I have. I do reckon the watch will ultimately break though. With 6,582 miles it's already had a solid innings.

Possibly not, but it looks much better has an extra data field and no touch bezel!!! My bezel really gets to me, only enable it to get in and out of training mode and even then it can be erratic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bought one of these and it arrived today. It's my first gps watch so I've nothing to compare it to, but I have to say I'm very impressed so far. It does everything I was looking for and more. Happy days!

Were did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't mind the bezel on the Garmin 405. But, two things I don't like are the display and the double button push to lock the bezel. 9 times out of ten I end up starting the timer prematurely. Also, my deteriorating eye-sight has got to the stage that I can only see one field on the display at a time. So, I like the look of the big numbers on that new watch :). Actually, a third thing I don't like is the wireless USB dongle. It looks like the Nike/Tomtom uses a more sensible USB cable. I guess that means it doesn't do wireless data and there's probably no HRM then. So, it looks like they're positioning it as easier to use and possibly less functional than the Garmin 405.

Won't be throwing out the Garmin any time soon. But, if I were in the market for a watch, I'd be looking at this one pretty seriously.

godtabh wrote: »
    Were did you get it?

Bought online at sweatshop.co.uk. I've used them a few times. Good site.

There's no shortage of online reviews of this watch, both written and video, but my 2cents..

GPS link up time can be hit and miss. From an impressive few seconds, to a frustrating 15mins today. No idea how this compares to other GPS watches. I know sometimes my satnav takes ages to find a signal so..

It's a delight to use once running. Scrolling through the sub display is simple. You can see everything clearly at a glance too.

You get a nice summary of your run, either when paused, or after you finish. Then when you upload, you get all your stats, plus graphs and maps etc.. The Nike website is a bit slow though.

Not sure what else to say.. So far so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

From an impressive few seconds, to a frustrating 15mins today. No idea how this compares to other GPS watches.
    15 minutes:eek: Thats very poor. The longest I've had to wait for my 205 is about 3 mins, lately its been only seconds.

gerard65 wrote: »
    15 minutes:eek: Thats very poor. The longest I've had to wait for my 205 is about 3 mins, lately its been only seconds.

Yeh it pyssed me off a bit alright. I'm taking it out for a decent run tomorrow (hopefully, .. it's the gf's bday today so we'll see what happens). The first thing I'm gonna be looking at is the time it takes to sync up to the gps.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

I know this is an old thread but I would like to resurrect it as I am on the market for a new watch...

Anyone got any further reviews of this? Would you recommend it over say a Garmin 110?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Dunno how sold I am on this. Ran a tempo run other day with a training partner. My Garmin 305 had 5.52 average pace while his had 6.00 despite him actually finishing his ahead of me by 20-30m

Bit alarmed at the discreprancies

Advertisement