Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Optimus v Nokia N8

Options
  • 06-01-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I'm upgrading my phone (on vodafone) and am considering the LG optimus 7 or a Nokia N8. The Iphone is out as I don't like the 3Gs and the Iphone 4 would cost 279 which I'm not paying! I've always used sony ericssons but they've all been a bit of a fail and my latest U5 vivaz is a disaster so I'm staying away from SE this time.

So it's down to the LG Optimus 7 and Nokia N8.

I prefer the the Windows OS on the LG but the handset is a little too big for my liking. The nokia is an acceptable size and has got a great 12mp camera but I don't like the symbian OS.

Help me decide please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

what about the sam galaxy s or any of the desire family? why is your search so limited?

you're bang on as regards the current sony ericsson's by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

theteal wrote: »
    what about the sam galaxy s or any of the desire family? why is your search so limited?

you're bang on as regards the current sony ericsson's by the way

Don't like samsungs or the galaxy (not to mention the look on the GF's face if I bought one after spending the last 2 years calling hers crap and saying i'd never buy a samsung.)

It's limited to the phone having to be a capacitive touchscreen smartphone that isn't over €150 on an upgrade. Iphone would come in at 279 for an upgrade for me.

I used the optimus 7 and I really liked the interface. but the nokia is a bit more compact and has a fantastic camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ok, windows 7 is looking to be a great OS, i just have reservations about LG's hardware

the n8 conjures opposing feelings, fantastic hardware but as you've said yourself, symbian has it's issues

out of the 2, i'd go with he n8

when you're back in the shop, see if you can have a play with a galaxy (or even better a htc desire - if they still have them) it just might change your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I dont see this as a hard decision out of theses two. AS you say the camera on the N8 is far superior, it also has a second camera. Might not be used everyday but I find it handy at times.

A big loss to the optimus is no card slot, with the N8 you can bang another 32Gb into it, and not forgetting little things like the fm transmitter thats built in already, I know what I would choose....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

N8 hands down, OS on both need work but WP7 needs another 9 months I reckon. I'd never buy an LG personally speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

I did quite alot of research and comparions before choosing my new phone. It's a N8. I have it a week now and, pretty much, so far so good. I'm very fussy.

mrs aol wrote: »
    I have it a week now and, pretty much, so far so good.

what happened :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I would opt for Windows Phone 7 over Symbian. While WP7 isn't quite there yet, it is only 2 months old. Symbian is years old and still isn't all there.

That said, I'm not a big fan of LG, hardware wise. It really comes down to good software/iffy hardware or good hardware/iffy software. :)

I'm currently using a Samsung Omnia 7, which I love to bits. Might be a good time, since you are out of contract and due an upgrade, to see options, and phones, with other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Nothing really. BUT to be very pickey:
    I really don't like the preinstalled browser,
    I haven't been able to set Opera to work as the default (yet),
    Simple point and shoot photos aren't as good as my previous phone (SEC905),
    I wish the camera lense was less exposed,
    I wish the screen rotated more quickly,
    It didn't recognise a couple of my external harddrives,
    I can connect to my wireless network to access the internet but I can't see the N8 from my other devices wirelessly (yet)
    It's not so transparent how much life is left in the battery and it seems to run down very fast (I'm trying out different setting tho).

... just off the top of my head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

OP you might be better off waiting for the new LG Optimus x2.

http://androidevolutions.com/tag/lg-optimus-x2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 martobaby

i bought nokia n8 over two weeks ago,and i am very disappointed with it,awkward and hard to use..

I'm steering away from the N8 myself now. Great camera but symbian is just so poor I don't think I could go down that road again!

martobaby wrote: »
    i bought nokia n8 over two weeks ago,and i am very disappointed with it,awkward and hard to use..

What do you find hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Windows 7 has more potential for improvement than symbian. I'd buy anything over symbian.

IMHO the iPhone is worth the extra. You'll be glad you spent it. Other wise get an Android phone or Windows 7 phone. Stay away from anything symbian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Whats so bad about Symbian tell me? Every single thread where Symbian is mentioned, it's consistently shot down by people with little reason whatsoever.

It need a few updates yes, but so does every OS out there. Maybe a few new transitions. They just remind me of MS PowerPoint though...

The real problem for Symbian is that it's seen as cool to have an iPhone. But they're common as muck these days. (unfortunately so, for the people who think they're being exclusive buying one)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

TBi wrote: »
    Windows 7 has more potential for improvement than symbian. I'd buy anything over symbian.

IMHO the iPhone is worth the extra. You'll be glad you spent it. Other wise get an Android phone or Windows 7 phone. Stay away from anything symbian.

give me n8 over iphone anyday. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

What's wrong with Symbian is mainly people's memories of the N97 running Series60 5th Edition.

I never had an N97 - the N8 was actually my first Symbian device, and I am pretty pleased with it overall, but I have used the N97 and it wasn't great - slow, awkward UI that didn't know whether it was keypad or touch driven, and the phone was under-resourced.

Those who defend Symbian, me included, I guess, do so because it really is the best mobile operating system out there in terms of getting the job done using the least amount of time and power (QNX, recently bought by HP for their Palm product line, is the only comparable system). Symbian3 added hardware accelerated graphics, which makes the whole device much snappier than other handsets running on far faster hardware.

However, I'm not going to say that its user experience is as good as even Android's, let alone iPhone, and it is user experience that gets handsets out of the shop.

Nokia badly need to update their UI, and are doing so with a new Qt-based system, due to debut on MeeGo, and very soon by the looks of things. The big advantage of them using Qt to write this is that Symbian users can quickly get the cool UI stuff that's going into MeeGo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I would wait till tomorrow OP as nokia maybe annoucing that it is to start making win 7 phones, which may indicate that at the high end symbian no longer being used on the top end nokia phones thus reducing developer confidence in it and so lack of any real long term support

I got the LG Optimus 7 a few weeks ago. It's excellent. The hardware probably isn't as good as the nokia but the software is so much better. I actually prefer windows phone 7 to IOS4 and Android. When the nokia-windows alliance release a phone it should be a serious machine. Great strategic move by both of them I think.

Advertisement