Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Car Park

Options
  • 06-01-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

I like the idea of new car parks, not enough spaces in Sligo by a long shot. But the new one at puzzles me particularly since the exit is onto Adelaide Street an already busy street. Is there the likelyhood you will get into the Car Park but never come out???? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was gonna comment on this as well, the car park its self doesn't look particular big, and the money spent tossing the two plus empty houses for access to site, leveling the site, amenities etc etc, was probably more than what it would have cost to do up the row of houses and find homes for some of the less fortunate in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Was gonna comment on this as well, the car park its self doesn't look particular big, and the money spent tossing the two plus empty houses for access to site, leveling the site, amenities etc etc, was probably more than what it would have cost to do up the row of houses and find homes for some of the less fortunate in the country.

I don't know.

There are plenty of whole new estates out there that could be used too.
    Tossing these places was probably cheaper for them in the short term, shur doing them up would cost a pile and why do it when there are tonnes of empty units all over the town.

They probably think that when the Tiger roars back into life in the future, they can just build away on an open site while getting a bit of cash in in the meantime.

They could be waiting a while.

Not great access to it though alright, but off peak it'll be grand and the people of Sligo are very good at letting people out aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Haven't seen it & really can't see the need for it.

Only lazy people have trouble finding parking spots in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

everyone else just seems to abandon their cars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I personally have never had trouble finding a space in town, bar having to wait a few minutes to get into the Quay Side just before Christmas.

I often drive past empty spaces in there to head for the SUV/people carrier/compacts/super mini spaces (easier to get in and out of)

Anytime I have used the glass house, at least a quater of the spaces empty.

Wine St or Stephen St is the only one you will ever have to drive around looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Plazaman wrote: »
    I like the idea of new car parks, not enough spaces in Sligo by a long shot. But the new one at puzzles me particularly since the exit is onto Adelaide Street an already busy street.

Its not that busy a street as the inner relief road and o'connell street run parallel to it, and take a lot of the traffic. Its a great location for a car park as its between the inner relief road ( where most motorists come from when they visit Sligo ), and the town centre. I wish they would reduce the price of parking in Sligo and make more of it. The new car park, on what was previously unused old property, is a step in the right direction. Pity they did not make it a bit bigger though and knock the other 3 or 4 derelect houses ...this would give the car park greater street frontage and move its access / "centre of gravity" that bit closer to Dunnes + the town centre. The more car parking and the easier you can make it for people to visit Sligo, park their car and walk to the shops the better....and then easy quick access to the inner relief road to get home.
    It should do well and its a step in the right direction. Hope it will not be too expensive. The Dunnes / Wine st car park is always too expensive and too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If I'm going for a quick look in town, Abbey Street Car Park would be my preference!

I live on the same side of town, and it's only 80c an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I think its there for when the development of wine st. goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Absolutely, a lot of people seem incapable of walking from the car to their target destination. It's all the lazy saps tying to park on the doorstep of where they want to go, that slows the traffic down in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Absolutely, a lot of people seem incapable of walking from the car to their target destination. It's all the lazy saps tying to park on the doorstep of where they want to go, that slows the traffic down in town.

The worst of the lot are the selfish gimps who park half on the path & halfway out on the road outside The Gourmet Parlour, as if "I'm only popping in for a cake", is a good enough excuse to bottleneck two lanes of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

i see a ticket machine on the carpark down where Craig and Mcgowan were,the free carpark didnt last long did it,
    the powers that be feel we do not not need free parking anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

sligono1 wrote: »
    i see a ticket machine on the carpark down where Craig and Mcgowan were,the free carpark didnt last long did it,
    the powers that be feel we do not not need free parking anymore.

Where abouts is that? Thought I knew of all the free parking spaces around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The worst of the lot are the selfish gimps who park half on the path & halfway out on the road outside The Gourmet Parlour, as if "I'm only popping in for a cake", is a good enough excuse to bottleneck two lanes of traffic.

Don't get me started on the "Hazard Light Brigade". All towns have them but for some reason in Sligo they tend to congregate around Bridge Street. These pack of winkers annoy me nearly as much as those who insist on parking on the double yellow lines across from Xtravision blocking the footpath and the road!!

**Idea forming for another good old fashioned bitchin thread**

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Where abouts is that? Thought I knew of all the free parking spaces around :)

it used to be free but theres ticket machines in there now, across the road from the brooks timber yard,on the corner below the coperation yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

sligono1 wrote: »
    it used to be free but theres ticket machines in there now, across the road from the brooks timber yard,on the corner below the coperation yard.

They had left it free for Christmas but as & from the 4th, it's €1 a day. Doesn't seem like a lot, I know, so if Brooks is full up you'll maybe not mind paying it but given that Brooks is just across the way & you'll pretty much always find a space there...

Plus I don't like the thoughts of giving the council money for inadequate parking.:)

Was driving up Adelaide street today & noticed that the building across from the Lithuanica shop (where some of Lithuanica's customers park) has a lane way opened beside it & a sign saying "Parking €1 per day". Someone deciding to make a little money for themselves by renting out their garden?

Re: The new carpark on Adelaide street (the council one): seems a bit silly that it wasn't open for Christmas, no? Surely the time the town needed it most!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Plazaman wrote: »
    not enough spaces in Sligo by a long shot.
    There's a corporation car park out in the Showgrounds and no one ever parks there. People just couldn't be bothered walking the extra distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

thebuzz wrote: »
    There's a corporation car park out in the Showgrounds and no one ever parks there. People just couldn't be bothered walking the extra distance.

Its too far out, especially if you are carrying shopping bags....plus its the wrong side of the inner relief road, which you would have to cross. Between the inner relief road and the town centre ( tesco etc ) , which is where the new car park is, is the ideal location. Most people going to Sligo would arrive in the inner relief road from the south ( Carraroe, Ballisodare, Collooney etc ) or from the north ( Cartron, Donegal road direction ) or from west of the inner relief road ( Maugheraboy, Strandhill etc ) ...and they would want to park close to the shops ( eg Tesco, Penny's ), restaurants, surgeries,offices etc. The showgrounds car park is ok if you are not in a hurry, if you are not carrying heavy shopping bags, if you are not elderly, if its not raining etc.

Advertisement