Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Roy Keane Been Sacked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Oh no, Keane on Gillette Soccer Saturday now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He made promises he couldn't keep so good enough for him.

What did he promise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

if true then maybe ipswich town can go back to a bit of normality now without the keane circus in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Sorry, but you serious?

If I paid thousands of pounds to go watch my country in WC, I like to think the team I supported would approach the competition in best way. Which is what Roy wanted.

Why do you like people to do ****e or something?

Personally I'd prefer if the whole team wanted to actually play football when the first game kicked off, especially the captain. On topic though, Roy Keane is a crap manager and good riddance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kryogen wrote: »
    thats another thing, Roy Keane is a winner, being a winner doesnt mean you automatically succeed at everything you do, it means you keep going until you do succeed. Never giving up. If you think thats the last management job he will have (if he has been sacked) you are nuts

The man is a born winner

Spot on. He did a decent job at Sunderland, and - while he has underachieved at Ipswich - it has not been a complete catastrophe.

Those who think this is the end of Roy Keane as a football manager are dead wrong.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but he could have gone home, made his point, told everyone the joke of a set up it was and then he could have gone back, the door was always open for him, but he was too ****en stubborn

Ah would you getting fooking real would ya?

Half the players did not want him back for fook sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah would you getting fooking real would ya?

Half the players did not want him back for fook sake.

So your saying half his team mates didnt want him either

So your saying half his team mates didnt want him either

Were you not around when this happened? Do you not remember?

Does it not take NASA to sort that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Sorry, but you serious?

If I paid thousands of pounds to go watch my country in WC, I like to think the team I supported would approach the competition in best way. Which is what Roy wanted.

Why do you like people to do ****e or something?

You said you love the way people knock others for wanting to be the best. You love the knockers.

That last sentence sounds like something a Swedish hooker would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tom_Brady wrote: »

Sometimes I just love being wrong! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Were you not around when this happened? Do you not remember?

Does it not take NASA to sort that one out.

I do and he ****ed off home, when he could have stayed

When this many people hold such a fierce, passionate hate for you - you're doing something right. Everyone sticking the boot in here serves as testament to the pure champion of a man Roy Keane is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Amazing player but a terrible person.

I'm sorry but do you know him personally which qualifies you to say that? I sincerely doubt it.

For what it's worth I had the pleasure of meeting Roy and his brother a number of years ago and shared a quick drink and a chat with him in the pub. He came across as a very nice, albeit shy, person. He's actively involved with the Guide Dog's for the Blind charity and does excellent work for them. He seems to be a devoted family man. What part of that makes him a terrible person?

Yes he has made some questionable decisions and done some unsavoury things during his playing career but I hardly think that defines him as a person.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to jump on your back, but I hate to see anyone being accused of being a terrible person if you don't know them.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    When this many people hold such a fierce, passionate hate for you - you're doing something right. Everyone sticking the boot in here serves as testament to the pure champion of a man Roy Keane is.

Haha, what kind of argument is that? Some people have a passionate hatred for Hitler :D Roy didn't do something right - so he got fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You said you love the way people knock others for wanting to be the best. You love the knockers.

facepalm.jpg

Champion? Didn't you hear, he's getting sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

FYI

> Search Function

> Any Date

> "Roy Keane Saipan"

You'll find a thread to have your little ****fest in there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Doesn't equate to being a good manager though

I was beng a little sarcastic, sweet Jesus christ.

If you have read my other mails ya have got what talking about.

Are Swedish Hookers any good???? seems like you know them well;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

" I don't think some of the people who come to this forum can spell 'football', never mind understand it."

Roy Keane (paraphrased)

Mick sent him home, what did you want him to do?

Knock Mick out and say "Im staying"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Haha, what kind of argument is that? Some people have a passionate hatred for Hitler :D Roy didn't do something right - so he got fired.

Godwin's Law in the soccer forum? This is a new low.

I'm sorry but do you know him personally which qualifies you to say that? I sincerely doubt it.

For what it's worth I had the pleasure of meeting Roy and his brother a number of years ago and shared a quick drink and a chat with him in the pub. He came across as a very nice, albeit shy, person. He's actively involved with the Guide Dog's for the Blind charity and does excellent work for them. He seems to be a devoted family man. What part of that makes him a terrible person?

Yes he has made some questionable decisions and done some unsavoury things during his playing career but I hardly think that defines him as a person.

Personally, breaking someone's leg on purpose something which was clearly pre-meditated for months, is enough of a mark on someone's character for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What did he promise?

Playoffs or he'd walk.

O so your saying everything would have been rosey in garden then?

As another poster pointed out this for another thread

I am sorry to all for me, being part of this rant, going back 9 years.

I just think people need move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I really hope he's able to "Get over it" as his found of telling everyone :)

Just don't think he has the temperament to be a manager, he probably looks at the players and compares them to his own high standards he set as a player. Lets hope Chris Hughton gets a go at the Ipswich job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Gah, I give up!

Change thread title to "Roy Keane's Career To Date: Featuring Saipan, Haaland Tackle and Ferguson Bust Up + NEW BONUS MATERIAL IPSWICH SACKING!!!"

#15 wrote: »
    Godwin's Law in the soccer forum? This is a new low.

Not Godwins Law buddy, I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of the argumemt if people have 'an intense, passionate hatred of you, you must be doing something right'. Feel free to swap Hitler for any monster of your choice

I really hope he's able to "Get over it" as his found of telling everyone :)

Just don't think he has the temperament to be a manager, he probably looks at the players and compares them to his own high standards he set as a player. Lets hope Chris Hughton gets a go at the Ipswich job.

Would love to see Tony Adams get it myself :)

Personally, breaking someone's leg on purpose something which was clearly pre-meditated for months, is enough of a mark on someone's character for me

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE893GeVf7vr0NK5B4R9YwO7Je7Vb1HMFFaKTGulDSHXiYHjQvkxH8t1Cc

• Advertisement

Playoffs or he'd walk.

Ok, so what did he break?

They still had time to do that?

Even if it did look pretty ****e I will admit.

Not Godwins Law buddy, I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of the argumemt if people have 'an intense, passionate hatred of you, you must be doing something right'.

Yes, but you used Hitler as an example. Godwinned. It's alright, this was an awful thread already though :)

Some people think keane is hated because he was successful. That makes no sense. I could give a list of successful players that most fans like and respect.
    I was beng a little sarcastic, sweet Jesus christ.

If you have read my other mails ya have got what talking about.

Are Swedish Hookers any good???? seems like you know them well;)

So you don't love the knockers?

Champion? Didn't you hear, he's getting sacked

cham·pi·on
    n.
    1. One that wins first place or first prize in a competition.
    2. One that is clearly superior or has the attributes of a winner
    3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person
    4. One who fights; a warrior.

Honours

Barclays Premier League : 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003 (Manchester United);
    Carling Cup : 2006 (Manchester United);
    CIS Insurance Cup : 2006 (Celtic);
    Clydesdale Bank Premier League : 2006 (Celtic);
    Community Shield : 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2004 (Manchester United);
    FA Cup : 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004 (Manchester United);
    FIFA Club World Cup : 2000 (Manchester United);
    UEFA Champions League : 1999 (Manchester United)

add to that his PFA player of the year award and his other personal accolades and I think you should understand why he is a champion

#15 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE893GeVf7vr0NK5B4R9YwO7Je7Vb1HMFFaKTGulDSHXiYHjQvkxH8t1Cc

Don't remember using font that large.... Meh, cruciate ligament

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Doesn't equate to being a good manager though

The hatred borne in this thread has nothing to do with his managerial record and you know it.

And irrespective of his managerial record - Roy Keane remains a great Irishman, one of the true winners produced by this country.

cson wrote: »
    Gah, I give up!

Change thread title to "Roy Keane's Career To Date: Featuring Saipan, Haaland Tackle and Ferguson Bust Up + NEW BONUS MATERIAL IPSWICH SACKING!!!"

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ok, so what did he break?

They still had time to do that?

Even if it did look pretty ****e I will admit.

Being realistic they were never going to make it, and evidently the owners agree.

Pushed before he could walk as opposed to the other way around, and that's better for the club.

The hatred borne in this thread has nothing to do with his managerial record and you know it.

And irrespective of his managerial record - Roy Keane remains a great Irishman, one of the true winners produced by this country.

But his nationality has nothing to do with it, why can't people base the discussion on his managerial record, are we not hyping him up because of his nationality/playing record?

cham·pi·on
    n.

Honours

Barclays Premier League : 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003 (Manchester United);

add to that his PFA player of the year award and his other personal accolades and I think you should understand why he is a champion

You forgot to mention his Ipswich Town win/loss record....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I could be great at my job but if I had a history of stubborness and falling out with team members on every project I worked on I would be out the door. Don't see why Roy Keane is any different, especially considering he's not great at his current job.

He was a great player but he's done nothing to suggest he's going to be a great manager. If I was a chairman I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Too much crap comes with him.

Meh, cruciate ligament

Wrong again.

The injury was on the other leg, not the one Keane hacked.

Some people think keane is hated because he was successful. That makes no sense. I could give a list of successful players that most fans like and respect.

So you don't love the knockers?

No, reason why I like Keane, is because he thinks he can win every game.

I meant my first post you refered to, that so many people here seem to hate someone who wants to be winner.

Sorry if got confused, although was tad obvious.:D

You forgot to mention his Ipswich Town win/loss record....?

I also didnt mention winning the Championship with Sunderland or his awards at underage level, if you want them you know what to do

I could be great at my job but if I had a history of stubborness and falling out with team members on every project I worked on I would be out the door. Don't see why Roy Keane is any different, especially considering he's not great at his current job.

He was a great player but he's done nothing to suggest he's going to be a great manager. If I was a chairman I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Too much crap comes with him.

He was a fantastic Irish player

cham·pi·on
    n.

Honours

The quote said keane is a "champion of a man". I think your post proves that it should have been written in the past tense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I think Keane will always have a problem in management unless he's with a top team with top players. As a player who never accepted mediocrity I imagine he finds it hard to understand why players can't do what he used to be able to do. He can't empathise with his players and understand them at their level. It's for that reason alone I think he will always have trouble managing so called "lesser" clubs. That for me is his fatal flaw and a reason why, as good a player he was, I don't think he'll every be truly successful in management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Great players dont always make great managers, maradonna been a good example.

roy keane was without argument one of the best players in the world at the time and one of the best irishmen to wear the green jersey but managerial ability im still undecided.

I also didnt mention winning the Championship with Sunderland or his awards at underage level, if you want them you know what to do

Well what about focusing on his Ipswich record, where he's just been sacked, justifiably so, for not being a 'champion'?

• Advertisement

Being realistic they were never going to make it, and evidently the owners agree.

Pushed before he could walk as opposed to the other way around, and that's better for the club.

But you said he kept promise he could not keep?

You are wrong. No if's or buts.

They 11 points of playoffs at moment. I like to think that any manager at club could turn it around, that's type league it is.

You see when people start spreading ****e like that, that's when things get mistaken.

and you are talking ****e.

Advertisement