Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveling with SLR

• 07-01-2011 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, i've had a D-SLR for a few years now and despite being fortunate enough to travel to some impressive places i've never had the guts to bring my good camera with me, that changes on Monday. I'm heading to Malta for a few days and was wondering firstly how people pack their cameras during travel and secondly how they carry them while knocking about?

I have a big padded case for it but i wanted to know if that was 100% necessary for a carry on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i got one of these for a present . It was around 30 euro.

I cant fault it. Its perfect for . But no good if you have a bunch of lens as well.
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rezo-120-AW,2004,20.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I brought my old D200 plus lenses to the States in a cheap old camera bag, just bring it on as hand luggage and there's no reason to worry. Look after it while away same as you would at home. I bought a better bag while there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I've brought my enormous, gargantuan full-sized camera bag with me along with two bodies and about 8 lenses etc. etc.. etc... without any problems to a few places before. (London, Paris & Prague.)
    It's not easy to haul that much around though.. so a smaller bag is probably a good idea, and I've used smaller bags before as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

I bring mine as carry on as I've had things crushed on flights in the past and baggage going to wrong country etc.

I either bring a small dedicated camera backpack or a top loader which can be put inside a larger bag for the flight and to disguise it in dodgy areas. I find the top loader most convenient for walking around all day as it's light. I find the bigger bags a pain in the a*s to go around with especially in warm countries.

edit: if bringing a small bag bring a versatile lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I always take mine (DSRL and SRL, always take the 2 of them) in carry on luggage, just pop them in my bag with the rest of my stuff, no padding or anything and never had any issues with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

gsxr1 wrote: »
    i got one of these for a present . It was around 30 euro.

I cant fault it. Its perfect for . But no good if you have a bunch of lens as well.
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rezo-120-AW,2004,20.htm

I actually have one of these myself, would you use this while walking around taking pictures or do you just mean when traveling and if so do you put this bag then into your carry on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

I have something like this http://www.connscameras.ie/lowepro-rezo-tlz-20/056035345906pd.html

I brought it to Lagos and around Portugal for a week. Just put it in my handbag or rucksack if I was wearing.

You don't want to be stressing on your holiday about carrying loads with you.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I actually have one of these myself, would you use this while walking around taking pictures or do you just mean when traveling and if so do you put this bag then into your carry on?

I take it everywhere . Everyday. And to be honest , I dont treat it like a baby either. I have not been on a plane with it yet. But would and will. Its really well padded where it matters. If its carry on and wont get knocked that hard. I would not check it with a suit case .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've taken my DSLR to Poland numerous times, Paris and Prague too as well as taking it with me just about everywhere I go in Ireland. Get yourself a reasonable shoulder bag OP and take it as carry on luggage. When I'm heading on a plane I usually pack my camera bag into a rucksack so I can take some extra stuff with me.

This is the bag I use:

http://www.google.com/images?q=Lowepro+Nova+2+AW+black&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-SearchBox&biw=1659&bih=854&prmd=ivns&wrapid=tlif12943587169921&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I've brought pretty much my entire kit in a small LowePro Orion Trekker bag numerous times to Europe travelling with my BMX so the backpack compartment was stuffed with tools, clothes, other bits and pieces and I brought it on as my carry on.

With more stuff these days I've got a bigger half/half style bag that accomodates most of my stuff. It gets pretty heavy when loaded with cameras, lenses, wireless triggers, laptop, chargers, tools, clothes etc.... so comes to at least 15-20KG and I use that as my carry on (although Ryanair did make me weigh it once and I was forced to check it in. I was not happy).

I've never had any issues traveling with all my kit, other than the bag being cumbersome and not having much legroom on planes, trains and buses because its never ever away from my side. The bag I currently use most is the CompuRover AW.

I've travelled to Japan with my BMX for a month with just this bag carrying my D3, 14-24, 24-70, 50mm, 80-200, a flash, a wireless trigger, chargers, lonely planet, 5 pairs of socks, 5 t shirts, 5 pairs of underwear. I had my tools thrown in with my camera bag because traveling with camera kit and a bike is a pain in the a$$ without worrying about another bag to carry. Granted, the Japan trip took its toll on the zipper for the camera compartment but its still going nearly 2 years later.

In about 10 days I leave to go traveling for 2-4 years and its the bag I'm bringing with me.

Just make sure you have travel insurance to cover any accidents that might happen with your camera and you've nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Did quite a lot of traveling with my SLR and lenses. Bought a small flight case in maplin took out the foam and re-enforced it with 3mm MDF. Then cut the foam to size for both the case slr and lenses and it was rock solid. Small enough to carry on the plane and sturdy enough for hiking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I never "pack" it. Hand luggage all the way!
    Then its no different to bringing it on a day out anywhere.

Carrying: Any purpose-made camera bag - my gf has a small one that just holds the camera with one attached lens (this is lovely and compact but lacks the option of carrying extra lens). My bag is slightly bigger and bulkier but it allows me to hold 2 extra lens and extra bits n bobs.

Personally, I'm more worried about taking my DSLR on nights out/to gigs where alcohol + big crowds are involved . . .
    Any1 experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭NooSixty

I prefer a backpack to a shoulder bag purely cause I find them comfier and put less strain on my back. Lowepro are super comfy and durable so are my preferred choice. I currently use one of these

http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuDaypack,1922,16.htm

and it is great for everyday use but I am heading back home at the start of next month and need the extra space to fit other stuff in so I am going to get one of these

http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuRover-AW,1923,16.htm

Both these bags are a laptop/camera combos and you may not need that aspect (my laptop always comes along when I travel) but Lowepro do straight camera bags as well. I have used this one in the past

http://www.hotsoftwarelive.com/online/store/images/loweproOrionTrekker_4.jpg

and it is amazing, it is the most comfortable bag ever. It is deceptively small looking but you can fit loads of stuff, not just camera equipment, in it. IMO this would be the perfect bag to take. Lowepro don't make this exact bag anymore but the replacement is just as good, just has a slightly different body shape

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Orion-AW,1987,7.htm

I personally would never check my camera bag in, not only cause stuff could get lost, broken etc but also cause I am a tad worried bout the temperature changes and condensation.

NooSixty wrote: »
    I prefer a backpack to a shoulder bag purely cause I find them comfier and put less strain on my back. Lowepro are super comfy and durable so are my preferred choice. I currently use one of these

http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuDaypack,1922,16.htm

and it is great for everyday use but I am heading back home at the start of next month and need the extra space to fit other stuff in so I am going to get one of these

http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuRover-AW,1923,16.htm

Both these bags are a laptop/camera combos and you may not need that aspect (my laptop always comes along when I travel) but Lowepro do straight camera bags as well. I have used this one in the past

http://www.hotsoftwarelive.com/online/store/images/loweproOrionTrekker_4.jpg

and it is amazing, it is the most comfortable bag ever. It is deceptively small looking but you can fit loads of stuff, not just camera equipment, in it. IMO this would be the perfect bag to take. Lowepro don't make this exact bag anymore but the replacement is just as good, just has a slightly different body shape

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Orion-AW,1987,7.htm

I personally would never check my camera bag in, not only cause stuff could get lost, broken etc but also cause I am a tad worried bout the temperature changes and condensation.

:eek::eek: How much did all that cost!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have a Backpack which is about the maximum size for carry on. Loaded with a spare body, flash, chargers, filters, laptop and some lenses it will be about 10kg - 15kg

Ryanair is the only airline that has ever questioned it. The solution with them is to wear the camera around your neck and, as long as the lenses are weather sealed, swallow the extra lenses. It may take a day or two to get some back though. ;)

When moving from Australia to Ireland it was easy ... my gear was 1 X Laptop 1 X Body 2 X Lenses. On my move back I had my backpack loaded up to 15kg then the wife's carry on loaded up too with some lenses & second laptop. The rest went into Hold Lugage as well as a few items of clothing. I had some padded Hard Cases for the Lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

gsxr1 wrote: »
    :eek::eek: How much did all that cost!!!

It didn't cost her a penny....she just keeps stealing my bags! ;)

Gunns in Wexford Street are reasonable. I've got bags form Gunns that were cheaper than the low alpine shop that used to be in Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

Just a wee warning about checking in cameras into the hold, I'd my dslr & lens stolen from my checked luggage traveling from Pisa to Dublin, Ryan Air wouldn't cover it as they state not to put camera equipment in the hold in their conditions, I was shocked but my own fault as I never read the fineprint (does anyone?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I generally just use one of the Lowepro TLZ bags. I travel light lens-wise, just usually a 50mm and the kit lens, and the off-lens fits in the space at the bottom. Unobtrusive, easy to manage, and like others have said, it fits into a larger daybag too!

@luke sorry to hear that, thanks for the warning! Does travel insurance cover it, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Cheers everyone for the advice. I've no extra lens or anything like that unfortunately as i havent the money and, if im honest, despite a passion for photography i've never put that much time into which is a shame i feel and thats what im hoping to rectify this time round.

After reading through this thread carefully what im going to do is pack the camera in my carry on in this bag rather then carry it around. One question i have though as im not sure what size the bag im bringing is, if im packing the camera in a carry on and i run out of space and cant fit the full lowepro bag will the camera be safe enough wrapped in clothes or is that a stupid thing to do? As i said ive never once traveled with this camera so im just getting all the info i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭NooSixty

I would personally rather check my other bag in if need be. I would much prefer to know exactly where my camera stuff is at all times and not risk it getting broken, stolen etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement