Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do we drink? Seriously

• 07-01-2011 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Over Christmas i drank a good bit- was ok -Had no hangovers at all. Stephens day comes and i start drinking at 6pm(ive started earlier) and finish at 3am. Go to bed, get up at 12pm next day and i am fine- about 4 hours late the headache , dizzyness and vomiting comes! I am in bits until iv thrown up 3 times, Then im fine fresh as a daisy. But its a pretty ****ty experience(due to the fact i hate vomiting, it makes me cry literly)

So why oh why do we drink!seriously! Ive seen people vomiting on nights out, ending up in hospital, etc. and i bet the next weekend they wil be drinking again!

me included i dont know why i do it!!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Its an addiction like any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Over Christmas i drank a good bit- was ok -Had no hangovers at all. Stephens day comes and i start drinking at 6pm(ive started earlier) and finish at 3am. Go to bed, get up at 12pm next day and i am fine- about 4 hours late the headache , dizzyness and vomiting comes! I am in bits until iv thrown up 3 times, Then im fine fresh as a daisy. But its a pretty ****ty experience(due to the fact i hate vomiting, it makes me cry literly)
    :

That wasn't the alcohol making you sick.

You're pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

'Cos they enjoy blocking up the A+E in their local hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Kills brain cells, makes ugly people pretty/able to get the ride, makes boring people more fun and creates scandal so why not??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

THRINK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

You're pregnant.

I bet she blames that on the drink too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

SadieSue wrote: »
    Its an addiction like any other.

No it's not. It's only an addiction if you are addicted to it.

Most people enjoy a drink, but can also live without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Meh, gotta have something to do at weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Cause we are generally reserved, we need drink to have fun, the two then get associated.

Instead of a few drinks to loosen us up and have fun(nothing wrong here) people think that the drink makes us have fun, so, more drink!

Then the puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

I do it because I like getting Hammered! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

for the lulz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Ive seen people vomiting on nights out, ending up in hospital, etc.

95% of people don't end up like this.

Because when your drinking/getting drunk there is literally nothing else more enjoyable and fun. Its simply great craic. Feeling hungover for a few hours is a small price (vomiting being a very rare occurance) and when the worst of it is over the pleasure of eating a big feed is nearly worth the hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Because it made water safe to drink centuries ago and it got incorporated into our lifestyle and traditions.

Also being drunk can be fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's a nice treat after a hard weeks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

No it's not. It's only an addiction if you are addicted to it.

Most people enjoy a drink, but can also live without it.

:pac: Ah you got me.. now say that 10 times fast after a few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Escapism. Lets face it, the world is pretty ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

talla10 wrote: »
    Kills brain cells, makes ugly people pretty/able to get the ride, makes boring people more fun and creates scandal so why not??

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's fun. Nothing like letting loose after hard days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

You're pregnant.

I knew that hobo did somethin to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Well I just havent found a sober alternative that is as much craic. Lookin tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

We drink to relax and have fun or in many cases , to escape for a few hrs a mundane existance . I very rarely get to the point were I throw up after drinking ,specially after seeing that episode of fr Ted ...put me off for life (not drinking but throwing up )

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Alcohol - The cause of, and solution to all life's problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

m@cc@ wrote: »
    95% of people don't end up like this.

This.

I've had nights were I thought mixing gin and beer together was a cocktail, but I've never been in a hospital for alcohol related reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

one bad hangover and you're questioning booze.....man up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Smoking_Gun

To prevent dying of dehydration? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

when I'm with the girls we end up getting so hyper from being together and messing that we forget about the drink!!!

There'd better be pillows. In fact pics or GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Because it is..........

AWESOME!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

for shits and giggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Like everything in live, we do the enjoyable part, knowing but not really caring about the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

It is fun. It's the easiest way in the world to unwind - or get wound up tighter and start fights.

Seriously though, I've been giving this some thought myself lately and am thinking of hangin' up me boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

to make ourselves feel better. Its the best 'escape' drug i know of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Because its fun drinking with your mates and its a good stress reliever me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Love the taste, well certain drinks, bitter, especially Fullers London Pride, beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Intoxication is one of the basic human needs.

It's not on that Maslow's needs pyramid thingy, but it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Most people I know that do drink on a regular basis, would not feel comfortable at a social gathering without it. Now if you asked them if they were addicted they would say no. And this maybe true, but certainly, at the very least a crutch to lean on.

I used to drink alot in my early 20's and always had a self confidence issue, felt very awkward in social situation and meeting new people. Unless of course I had a few drinks. As I got older and started to drink less my confidence grew considerably. Now I'm not the f@cking fonz or anything, and I realise my increased confidence could be put down to age too, but I really believe it has to do in some part to drink.

Regarding hangovers, german style beer (few, natural ingredients) will go a long way to feeling better the following morning. Budweiser and the like, is the devils p!$$

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

Because when your drinking/getting drunk there is literally nothing else more enjoyable and fun. Its simply great craic. Feeling hungover for a few hours is a small price (vomiting being a very rare occurance) and when the worst of it is over the pleasure of eating a big feed is nearly worth the hangover.

Need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

It makes the world a more bearable place.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

We drink to forget that we are nervous
    To be come more relaxed....
    But is when we start forgetting where we live that we should stop :D

Never mind drink

here I go again does anyone know anywhere that opens early for a coffee in Dublin City Centre, fancy a coffee and to read the paper before i catch an early bus to work...

All the drink inxs have messed up my bodyclock:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its essential to our social lives , great friendships are forged in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I like the taste of good wine and beer, German especially. I don't drink to get wasted as I don't want the hangover and hate loss of self-control (and I don't think my life is mundane and want to escape) but nothing wrong in enjoying a few. I know when I've had enough.
    Hate being around drunks though, always makes me feel unsafe so I prefer drinking at home with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

I drink for Ireland :) the rest of the irish drinkin team only train 2 or 3 days a week but I do the full pour 7 days a week...

The way to stop getting a hangover is always be a little drunk... prevention is better than cure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

i start drinking at 6pm(ive started earlier) and finish at 3am. Go to bed, get up at 12pm next day and i am fine-
    eh no...you were still pissed when you woke up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ElasticMan

Because everybody does it, so you're afraid to deviate from the norm and be seen as an outsider. If you're young and you don't drink, well then obviously there must be something wrong with you. Either that or you're a dryballs. At least that's the opinion of the majority of our fabulous youth in this country. And if you vomit, have sex with a complete stranger, and wake up in the morning not being able to remember a thing... all the better!! This makes you NORMAL!! Apparently.

You can then go on Facebook, issue a public apology for your behaviour, ask everyone what happened and have a good laugh about it. It's only a bit of craic sure!! Let's face it, if drinking a gallon of petrol, dousing youself in and then lighting yourself on fire was socially acceptable, everyone'd be doing it, and if you didn't.. well then I don't want to know you! Because you're obviously a freak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

to make ourselves feel better. Its the best 'escape' drug i know of!

I thought alcohol made people that are depressed even more depressed... Is that true? I wouldnt know as I dont drink

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

We drink to have a good time and loosen up after a hard week. Do we over do it? A lot of us do! And that's our problem in this country, we tend to over do it a bit too often

When I was in America I noticed the Irish students were always a little quieter than the yanks when sober. I think in a social surrounding without alcohol, we were a bit inept in some ways. But by god once we the gargle started flowing, we were the life of the party!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i drink cause i enjoy the taste of good whiskey n such,

if you drink just to get drunk, your an idiot.

Wasteing your money so ye are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Escapism. Lets face it, the world is pretty ****.
    no man, the world is great.
    Drinking when you´re in a great mood in a nice place with good people is the balls. Furck that "escapism" shi´ite, drinking is great craic whether youre poor as a monkey or rolling in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Drugs make people feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    I thought alcohol made people that are depressed even more depressed... Is that true? I wouldnt know as I dont drink

i have heard it is a mood enhancer so if your feeling sad you will feel more sad BUT if your happy it makes you go fuckin mad!

• Advertisement
Advertisement