Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about the Senior Moderators

Options
  • 07-01-2011 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Just a general enquiry really for future reference. Do the "senior" moderators (that is the nice people who run Boards.ie ) do specific roles?

If so, what are the areas of expertise that are covered?

I don't have any problems as such, it was just a general question in case I ever need to contact someone over a specific issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

While there are different levels of mods on Boards, the people who really run the site are the users themselves. Most of the site runs very smoothly and where there are issues there's usually someone who will report it, be it a technical issue or a problem with another poster. However, just to clarify the way we have things split, this is how things break down:

The total number of accounts signed up to Boards is just under 409,000, of which I believe something like 20,000 or so are active.

Of that, there are approximately 500 moderators. The mods look after the day-to-day running of each forum, which includes things like helping posters, moving threads to other forums if posted incorrectly, generally keeping the peace in the forum, which may necessitate giving infractions or bans and various other actions. Many mods look after more than one forum. You can see who the mods for each forum are by looking at the box in the bottom right hand corner of the front page of each forum.

Each forum is part of a category, and you can see the categories along the top of your screen. Each category is assigned 2 or 3 Category moderators (currently 29 in total). These would generally be more experienced mods and their main functions are to assist mods of forums in their categories if they have issues, very often relating to complaints or difficult posters. They also have a big input onto the selection of new mods when vacancies arise.

Then there are the administrators (currently 17). Our role is to ensure that the whole site runs as smoothly as possible. We look after things like appointing new mods, creating new forums, being the final "court of appeal" when disputes arise, issuing sitebans to those who deserve it and helping to decide on standards and policies for the site (usually through consultation with the mods and/or posters). If you have an issue that requires admin intervention you can either post here or PM any admin. While some admins may focus on particular areas such as Help Desk, Prison, forum creation, etc., we all have the same powers on the site and can switch between roles quite easily.

Finally there are the Boards employees, which includes IT developers, an administrator for Adverts.ie, our community and communications managers and one of the founders of the site. All these have the same powers as the admins and can perform the same functions in addition to their actual paid jobs.

I hope that helps clarify things for you, but feel free to ask any more questions you may have. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

The total number of accounts signed up to Boards is just under 409,000, of which I believe something like 20,000 or so are active.

Depending on what you term "active" there Zaph, of the 408,928 people registered (accurate at time of posting), 182,908 of those have been active in the last year, with 27,641 active in the last 7 days and 14,603 in the last 24 hours.

I really should share these stats with you more often :)

Also, we have 551 Moderators and 873 public forums active :)

Just to be accurate like ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thank you Zaph it is all as clear as mud. ROFL :pac: (Not really, that was a good informative post.)

Darragh that is ... umm Err thank you for that. (Rube now wondering what he has started):D:D:D

But once again thank you

14,603 in 24 hours? WOW thats at least .... a lot per hour:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Posted my thanks but the post vanished. So in case it never comes back.

Thank you both for your replies.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You're welcome. :)

Just so you know, any posts on this forum after your initial post to start a thread must be approved before they're visible. It can take a little while, depending on whether or not there are any admins around to approve the post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement