Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhappy in job

Options
  • 07-01-2011 12:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Hi all,

I would like to get some perspective on a situation I currently find myself in. About 6 months ago I left my job in Dublin for a new supposedly better one in London. Fast forward 6 months and my new job has not turned out the way I had hoped. What I mean is that the role and responsibilities I have are not what was described at interview and in the job description and when I have questioned and pushed for additional responsibilities I am told that I am stepping on the toes of those above me.

I'm regularly told that I am very good at my job and that I'm seen as a talent for the future of the organisation. The only problem is that I really dislike coming into work every day and I'm getting frustrated and angry with the bureaucratic processes and internal politics which exist in this organisation; they are really beginning to get to me.

I wouldn't find it overly difficult to find another job and I'm happy enough in London and am happy to stay here. My question is: am I mad to leave a job so soon and will it be a bit issue in future when I go for jobs?

Am very conscious that this problem is at the lowest possible end of the spectrum in terms of people's employment problems at the moment however I would appreciate people's thoughts.

Thanks

TOS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are the only person who really knows how much the situation is not as described, and how it is affecting you. You could start looking around for something else and see if your attitude changes over the next couple of weeks. If something good comes up then go for it if you are reasonably sure it will be an improvement.

If your bosses are as happy with you as they are saying then there is every chance they will make an effort to keep you, if not, then you are better off somewhere else.

I don't think one short employment would make a lot of difference to your cv, but you wouldn't want to do it too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Hi all,

I would like to get some perspective on a situation I currently find myself in. About 6 months ago I left my job in Dublin for a new supposedly better one in London. Fast forward 6 months and my new job has not turned out the way I had hoped. What I mean is that the role and responsibilities I have are not what was described at interview and in the job description and when I have questioned and pushed for additional responsibilities I am told that I am stepping on the toes of those above me.

I'm regularly told that I am very good at my job and that I'm seen as a talent for the future of the organisation. The only problem is that I really dislike coming into work every day and I'm getting frustrated and angry with the bureaucratic processes and internal politics which exist in this organisation; they are really beginning to get to me.

I wouldn't find it overly difficult to find another job and I'm happy enough in London and am happy to stay here. My question is: am I mad to leave a job so soon and will it be a bit issue in future when I go for jobs?

Am very conscious that this problem is at the lowest possible end of the spectrum in terms of people's employment problems at the moment however I would appreciate people's thoughts.

Thanks

TOS

What do you work at?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The only problem is that I really dislike coming into work every day and I'm getting frustrated and angry with the bureaucratic processes and internal politics which exist in this organisation; they are really beginning to get to me.

Big organizations by their very nature are bureaucratic and sometimes you just have to mark time, if you want to work for such organizations....

My advice would be to put in another six months and see if you still feel the same about it. If not, then perhaps look for a small company that will allow you more freedom.

Jim

Advertisement