Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Photography School

• 07-01-2011 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Has anyone ever heard or dealt with this crowd (http://www.dublin-photography-school.com/index.html). I'm thinking of doing a digital SLR photography course there. Its run by 3 professional photographers; Steven Maybury, Sinead Bradley and Stewart Kenny.

Can anyone recommend them?

Thanks in advance.

Doink

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Never heard of them before.

The place I'd recommend is - http://www.instituteofphotography.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

+1 for Institute of Phography

I've done 2 courses there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 murfi1976

I did a landscape field trip with the Dublin photography School a while back and thought it was very good - well planned out and informative. Got some good shots and tips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Doinker wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard or dealt with this crowd (http://www.dublin-photography-school.com/index.html). I'm thinking of doing a digital SLR photography course there. Its run by 3 professional photographers; Steven Maybury, Sinead Bradley and Stewart Kenny.

Can anyone recommend them?

Thanks in advance.

Doink

have you tried googling the "photographers" names to see if they are professional....I just did it for the first name..... only shows up flickr account.

my advice avoid them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shuritaz

I've dealt with Dublin Photography school a few times, and I'm a fan of Stewart Kenny's work - I'd definitely recommend them!!

no offence intended to the photographers listed above - but .... not what I would call inspiring images there, all fairly basic - in terms of photography.

have a look in the random pics section to find images which shows what a photographer should aspire to.

fantastic images taken by amateurs and some pro's.

my advice is still to avoid the "school" .

edit.... anyone else getting a whiff of shill ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There is nothing concrete yet, but this thread does have the smell of Schill about it. Low post accounts being the only people to have heard of this place where as none of the experienced members here know anything nor have they heard of the Pro Togs involved.

Will leave this open for the moment to wait more comments.

On a general note I would exercise caution dealing with any business that employs deceptive tactics to promote themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Boaz

PCPhoto wrote: »
    have you tried googling the "photographers" names to see if they are professional....I just did it for the first name..... only shows up flickr account.

my advice avoid them

I have known these guys for the past few years and would have no hesitation in recommending them. They have recently set up their school and offer good classes for all levels. So much for encouraging new business and enterprise. A bit more credible research on your behalf would not go amiss and not basing opinion on a quick 'Google'. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I know Stu personally, he didnt post this thread. I've bought some of his work and it's genuinely very high quality. He is, from my understanding, a new business so maybe that's why he doesnt have a huge wealth of professional awareness.

Anyway, vouching that Stu is not shilling and that I personally think is work is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sexy Lady

Hi I seen through facebook this discussion, and i had to come on to see what was going on. (yes i am that nosey)

But please allow me to make this point, whatever your personal views on the photographs themselves not being to your taste, i think its wrong to assume that one should not trust Dublin School Of Photography for this reason alone.
    Taste is individual, and proves nothing about anything.

And it is your choice as to believe me or not, but I have actual experience with the school and found it marvellous! Even as just a beginner going along because I thought I had a keen eye for photo's, my ignorance and fumbling was not only tolerated but my imagination and desire, if not skill, was encouraged. This is just my personal experience.

But i think it is really wrong to ASSUME that something is unreliable or not good simple cause you havent heard much about it. From my information, and i could be wrong, in business terms i think its relatively new, as in a year or two, so dont discourage someone trying to make a go of themselves by using their talents, in the current climate we should be encouraging people not slagging them off.

And before ANYONE says it, NO i am 100% NOTHING to do with the Dublin School Of Photography AT ALL, i am just an individual, a nosey individual albeit, with an opinion and a sense fair play.

I hope this is somewhat useful to the person who originally posed the question as to anyone having heard about it.

Oh and ps. The reason i happened to go to them was, again through facebook friends & noseyness, i seen some the photography and was very impressed by the beauty and serenity of the pictures.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I think we've proved the OP is not a shill, and that this is a new business that is, as-yet -- unaccredited (insofar as it is new and needs time to grow) and I would encourage other friends of Stu's or otherwise not to post, as you'll do more damage than good. This is not how boards.ie works. If you love Stu's work, great. Other people are entitled to hate it. Butting in will not do him or DPS site any favours. Let's drop the random seperate discussion and focus on the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The OP asked a simple question. A few of us replied, with the information we have.

It is just very unusual that only those who know and like DPS have post counts under 10.

Yes, of course, new business takes time to grow and be known. Nothing new there. But, knocking the frequent posters here because we haven't heard of DPS or don't like the images displayed, etc is not exactly constructive and not what boards is about.

Again, the regular posters can only provide their own opinions and views, based on their own experience in the photography industry.

I think we've proved the OP is not a shill, and that this is a new business that is, as-yet -- unaccredited (insofar as it is new and needs time to grow) and I would encourage other friends of Stu's or otherwise not to post, as you'll do more damage than good. This is not how boards.ie works. If you love Stu's work, great. Other people are entitled to hate it. Butting in will not do him or DPS site any favours. Let's drop the random seperate discussion and focus on the OP.

no offence to you but - all that you have proven is ...nothing.

someone started a thread asking advice about the "school" .... the advice given by another member was to use a well established and well proven school.

then all of a sudden some "dormant" accounts jump in claiming they have been to the school and can recommend it..... then you come in saying you know "stu" personally - nothing about the other "teachers".... it seems like everyone is here to defend "stu".

This may be a new business - but if as the MOD has said ...
    I would exercise caution dealing with any business that employs deceptive tactics to promote themselves.
    if someone associated with the "school" has started this thread they made a bad mistake - trying to gain exposure and "trick" people into believing they are a legit, well established business with a good background.

My advice to everyone reading this or anyone that asks me about it will be to avoid - I am a professional photographer and have been on boards (mainly floating around the photo section) for a number of years.

If the business wanted to introduce themselves - they should have done so in a legit way..... simply come onto boards and say "hi" become a member, offer advice, put some pics up for C&C.

- maybe you can pass a message to "stu" tell him of the damage done to the reputation of a business he is associated with - and the possible damage done to his own reputation by being associated with a website which is not honest with potential clients.*

*=assuming that it is someone associated with the business that has started all this.

Hey PCPhoto.
    I was just doing my bit to help a friend out who seems to be getting stick he doesnt deserve. The unaccredited posters are one of the main reasons I did post (I dont usually tend to get involved) - I am here since 03, I am a mod, and I know shills, so for what it's worth (which doesnt have to be much, but is better than nothing) I was doing my part.
    As I said, we're all entitled to our opinion. Mine means I have three of Stu's prints hanging in my house. Yours means you wont use DPS. Each to their own! :) That's the beauty of boards!
    I think it's kinda neither here nor there at this stage, because the thread is serving to do more damage than good :/

Oh, for the record. I dont know the other teachers and have never done a course with DPS, I just know Stu as a legit guy trying hard to start a good business and on that basis was vouching (in what little capacity I have) in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sexy Lady

can i just clarify that i only commented cause i saw a discussion elsewhere, i didnt even realise i had a boards.ie account but when i went to reply it turned out i had. My main reason for bothering to reply was cause i hate to see someone/soemthing being picked on, unfairly, especially if by stating my opinion honestly i can balance things a bit.
    I also always voice my opinion, but i think, although everything i said was legit and correct (as per MY experience) , perhaps by opening my mouth ive done more harm then good, and if this is the case i wish to apologise sincerly as this was truely not my intention, all i wanted to do was share my thoughts. IF id had a bad experience i would have stated that also, no point in lying.

Hey PCPhoto.
    I was just doing my bit to help a friend out who seems to be getting stick he doesnt deserve. The unaccredited posters are one of the main reasons I did post (I dont usually tend to get involved) - I am here since 03, I am a mod, and I know shills, so for what it's worth (which doesnt have to be much, but is better than nothing) I was doing my part.
    As I said, we're all entitled to our opinion. Mine means I have three of Stu's prints hanging in my house. Yours means you wont use DPS. Each to their own! :) That's the beauty of boards!
    I think it's kinda neither here nor there at this stage, because the thread is serving to do more damage than good :/

Oh, for the record. I dont know the other teachers and have never done a course with DPS, I just know Stu as a legit guy trying hard to start a good business and on that basis was vouching (in what little capacity I have) in that regard.

So you are just sticking up for a friend - like I said on my previous post - you should inform your friend about this thread and let him know of the damage someone has done "trying" to promote his business..... we both agree this can be nothing but harmful to the reputation of the business and him personally due to his association with the website.

Sexy Lady wrote: »
    can i just clarify that i only commented cause i saw a discussion elsewhere, i didnt even realise i had a boards.ie account but when i went to reply it turned out i had. My main reason for bothering to reply was cause i hate to see someone/soemthing being picked on, unfairly, especially if by stating my opinion honestly i can balance things a bit.
    I also always voice my opinion, but i think, although everything i said was legit and correct (as per MY experience) , perhaps by opening my mouth ive done more harm then good, and if this is the case i wish to apologise sincerly as this was truely not my intention, all i wanted to do was share my thoughts. IF id had a bad experience i would have stated that also, no point in lying.

I'm sure the owners of boards would be interested in this source ..... seeing a thread elsewhere would not lead you to boards unless it was a mirror of the site.

So you are just sticking up for a friend - like I said on my previous post - you should inform your friend about this thread and let him know of the damage someone has done "trying" to promote his business..... we both agree this can be nothing but harmful to the reputation of the business and him personally due to his association with the website.

Yep, that's why ask pointedly asked for no one else to try come on and defend him because it looks so bad and fake. Non-boardsies / non-tech-y people don't get it. They see a friend, they jump to defend and dont realise they're making it worse. I had already encouraged people on FB not to post further. Which is why they havent ;)

I wouldnt encourage Stu or any of the others to post either, they'll just look hella shill-y too...

Eventually, I am sure DPS will have a body of work that will speak for itself and neither I nor others will have to defend!

I'm sure the owners of boards would be interested in this source ..... seeing a thread elsewhere would not lead you to boards unless it was a mirror of the site.
    You're just trolling now. She saw it on Facebook. Hardly a mirror site. "Discussion" != "Thread"
    *roll eyes*

Anyway, I'm going to bed and I think I've said all I can say on the issue without getting into a troll war / making matters worse.

For your photographic enjoyment:
    Troll-Face-LULZ.jpg

• Advertisement

You're just trolling now. She saw it on Facebook. Hardly a mirror site. "Discussion" != "Thread"
    *roll eyes*

Be warned!!!
    The boards.ie police are coming to get you!!!
    :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

At this point there is no evidence that the OP was anything but a genuine inquiry. Being from a low post account it can raise suspicion of being a Schill Post but we were giving it the benefit of doubt. That is still the case.

The initial replies made appear to be genuine and the opinions of those that made them.

It now seems that there were emails and a Facebook campaign to encourage posts to support the thread. This has had a negative effect and added to the feel of the thread being a Schill. I believe this has now ceased.

It should be noted that this forum should not be seen as tool to promote a business or service. Those that try normally end up having the opposite effect. We do have members of the community here that do get some promotion to their businesses. This is as they are seen as helpful and trusted posters and normally others here recommend them. If those involved with Dublin Photography School wish to become involved here they will be welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ultrasteo

I've seen a lot of the work online from the dublin photography school and i like it. granted everyone including "professional photographers" may not agree with me but any business starting up needs exposure and it's only fair to give them a chance. Professional courtesy goes a long way and from the shots i've seen the people involved with this school are good at what they do.

Also before anyone points out that i have a low post count, i do but that doesn't mean i'm not entitled to an opinion. I would recommend the dublin photography school and I'm planning on taking some lessons there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Can't you wait until you've finished the course to give a recommendation?

Very odd thread...

JustinOval wrote: »
    Can't you wait until you've finished the course to give a recommendation?

Very odd thread...

The guy has obviously done some research and is quite happy to do a course with the school.
    Anyway could you not wait to see his recommendation after he's done the course before making a comment????
    There are some very pass remarkable people on this forum!!!
    Someone always has to have the last word!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Boaz wrote: »
    There are some very pass remarkable people on this forum!!!

:confused:

/THREAD CLOSED.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement