Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting In The Blue Square North/South

Options
  • 07-01-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Right lads, I'm going to start a game in the Blue Square North/South.

I'm just wondering if any of you have done the same and how have you managed to get on? How long did it to take you to get to the Premier League if you even did? I like to spend a lot of time doing training schedules etc so it usually takes me about a week to complete a season as I don't play for long periods of time each day.

I think I'll start with Gateshead or AFC Wimbledon.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm doing one at the moment, managing Boston United. I've taken them to League 1 after four seasons. There's a few good players I've signed that I'd recommend for lower league clubs if you guys want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Done it with Telford, got them a few promotions, took the Notts County job, bad move :o

Things I learned:
    - keep it real simple. Standard 4-4-2, don't go crazy on player instructions. These lads won't know what you're talking about.
    - keep within the wage budget. If you need cash, invite bigger teams for pre-season friendlies. Then play your reserves a few times before season starts, to get morale back up.
    - getting good staff in is vital. Get good scouts, good coaches, and a great assistant who knows a good player from a turkey.
    - aim for a mix of young and old. Young players tend to be inconsistent at this level, so it's good to have 2-3 lads in the first team who are 28+ to keep a steady ship.
    - Physical and mental stats are really important at this stage. Fast strikers will do really well, don't worry so much about things like finishing, tackling, marking, crossing etc. Look at physical and mental.

If you get a good team together, playing simple tactics, and bringing in good free players that improve the team every window, and they're improving with good training, you'll get a couple of consecutive promotions.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Agree with the play it simple approach, it's important to look for players with good stamina and work rate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidc9546

Play a deep defensive line. It helps counteract the "long ball" tactic

Also, buy Febian Brandy. The boy's a beast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

markesmith wrote: »

Not a chance you'll get him for BSN/BSS

Lapira maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I guess I am doing this now as well, I started a game Unemployed and loaded up all the leagues in the US, England, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Ireland, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Wales, Australia and Brazil.

But despite all that I ended up with Havent & Waterloovile, had to holiday the game though as I set it to Sunday League Footballer, but it looks fun will be using this thread to rescue me I reckon :D

cson wrote: »
    Not a chance you'll get him for BSN/BSS

Lapira maybe.

Fair point, Brandy won't drop that far. David Cowan's a good bet to play on the right wing.

Probably the main point is: your players are cr*p. Get rid of most all of them, and start afresh. No matter what lower league club you pick, most of the players will be dross - same with the coaches and ass manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Getting a parent club is a must as well. You get some money from the parent team every season and you can get good players on loan from the parent club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

markesmith wrote: »

FIFA 10 legend with Accrington Stanley :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

i used editor to add leagues so im starting off in the 1st division of the northern league(its the eight tier of english football) not really sure who to be was thinking of mayb starting with a whole new team, give myself a good bit of financial backing and try get prem football within 10 years....with good finance i should be able to achieve promotion to football league after about 5 years(depends how much money i give myself)

cud be the hoffenheim of english football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Started in the Conference with Grays, very enjoyable experience. Got there through some amazing freebies and clever loan deals. However this strategy quickly falters once you get to the Premier League, no money, tiny stadium and you lose all your good players who move to better clubs. I couldn't win a game for love nor money and finished last.

Advertisement