Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Letterkenny

Options
  • 07-01-2011 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I may be moving to Letterkenny from Dublin sometime next year. I'm wondering what peoples opinions on living in the town are. I've been up for a good few visits and there seems a nice atmosphere to the place and a not so bad night life.

What are your views on life in Letterkenny for a 21 year old?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Good place to live. Its fairly cheap, easy going and the people are sound. Nightlife isnt as good as it used to be a few years back, but some good DJs and bands are starting to visit more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

What interests you in terms of nightlife (bands or djs, Late bars, nice bars or clubs). what area are you going to be living in do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kris44

Well I prefer a mix of everything you listed really, i'm not one who goes out every single weekend so i'd go to a club now and then and hopefully see a few decent bands playing too. Regarding the area i'll be living in, I don't know yet but it'll be as close to town as possible. My friend lived in the apartments up near the garda station and it was a nightmare! I love students and all but these were just morons!

Well for Clubs you have Pulse on Thurday and weekends, same with Grill but its better Sunday, Voodoo quite good they have bands downstairs every night i think, it also has a few different rooms upstairs playing different music. you're gonna find a lot of moron students around the town sadly but there is the student accomadation now down at other end of the town so that helps!

If you looking for big bands though for proper gigs you're outta look really unless you travel into Derry

Yeah the ability to travel to Derry is a big plus for me, I hear great things about gigs up there and most decent up and coming bands seem to stop off there! Thanks for the responses :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭suzerxxx

im 21 moved here from dub bout 2 years ago, nice here in the town plenty of shops and taxi's are dirt cheap (well most) only problem i have is that i know noone lol

suzerxxx wrote: »
    im 21 moved here from dub bout 2 years ago, nice here in the town plenty of shops and taxi's are dirt cheap (well most) only problem i have is that i know noone lol

Time for a boards beers me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chickah

i'm 22, moved up from meath to letterkenny in september and i have to say i love it, great for shopping and nightlife, but I kind of have the same problem as Suzer, i don't know that many people (yet) :P

danniemcq wrote: »

fosho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chickah

Sounds like a plan!

• Advertisement

Yeah thats kind of my biggest fear - not knowing anyone in the same age group!

Mental age everyone is in or around 21, physical age may differ! (25 y/o here!)

Haha good to hear ;) i'll be trying to get in with some of the college crowd, I don't fancy giving up the college lifestyle just yet!

ha ha im trying to get back into the whole college thing, i basically skiped that part and went stright to the having kids part :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

kris44 wrote: »
    Haha good to hear ;) i'll be trying to get in with some of the college crowd, I don't fancy giving up the college lifestyle just yet!

thats not hard in L'kenny......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

I had the same problem as those above. moved there for 6 months, nice place but didn't get to know anyone. In the end just moved home. No job was worth that.

Not knowing anyone seems to be quite a common problem. My mate is up there now and im pretty sure hes in the same position. Maybe its more the lack of clubs and stuff in the town for people to go to. I dont mean as in niteclubs i mean film clubs and stuff like that

Not knowing anyone seems to be quite a common problem. My mate is up there now and im pretty sure hes in the same position. Maybe its more the lack of clubs and stuff in the town for people to go to. I dont mean as in niteclubs i mean film clubs and stuff like that

YES! im forever trying to find something to do, especially with the kids seen as i dont get visitors it gets very boreing in the house!

There is a photography club on Monday nights (i haven't been in few weeks but still on their newsletter) they meet around 8pm in the culture center

I'll post more details on exact times later this evening

Is there no website available with a 'things to do in letterkenny' kind of section with lists of clubs and contact details? I'm doing web design at the moment and need stuff to work on so if anyone thinks something like this would be useful i'd happily help build it

• Advertisement

Is there no website available with a 'things to do in letterkenny' kind of section with lists of clubs and contact details? I'm doing web design at the moment and need stuff to work on so if anyone thinks something like this would be useful i'd happily help build it

haha no, I think this is the closest we have! It'd be a very good idea though and if you needed a hand i'd help out

Photo Club link

http://zero74.com/lkfoto/

oh that looks interesting!

a web page would defo be a hit!

haha no, I think this is the closest we have! It'd be a very good idea though and if you needed a hand i'd help out

Well im away at the minute but when i get back in a week or so ill start doing a bit of research to see if a site would be needed. Ill pm you danniemcq afterwards, are you living up there? Also anyone else in Letterkennny who thinks the website would be a good idea please say so - make a nice project out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Another Dub soon to be living in Letterkenny, will be moving up in a few weeks. Be interested to see what sort of stuff there is to do, if there's some (very) low level football team to join or something like that. I'm moving up on my own so won't know anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

danthefan wrote: »
    if there's some (very) low level football team to join or something like that.
    Plenty of football teams around.

danthefan wrote: »
    I'm moving up on my own so won't know anyone.
    Post here an odd time and Im sure someone will advise as to where to go and what to do etc.

Keep an eye on this forum for a beers night hopefully in the not too distant future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

i can believe that its very difficult for people from down the country getting to know new people up here. Im from Lk and going to college in Dub in September.

There is NOTHING to do up here....severe lack of social conventions, community and even decent nightclubs. They are all monotonous as f**k, with the same skill-less DJs spewing out the same crap in almost the same tracklist order every week. The only club i will credit is INK who are starting to get some big-name DJs every couple of weeks à la Ritual back around '07 time when they had Tony Watters as resident. One of the best DJs in the town and no club will give a residency. Basically sums up LK nightlife.

Personally looking forward to getting out of this town. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Personally looking forward to getting out of this town. :p

I said the same about Dublin in 2002 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Letterkenny is good for what it is - a small town but more to it than many would think
    I lived there for 4 years, enjoyed it but outgrew it.
    would still recommend it to people moving there though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Moved up just 2 weeks ago, loving it so far :) few my mates played in Voodoo on Saturday jus gone, was good to see them away from home :D

hoping the boards beers gets going soon, the only person I know here is my GF n I'm sure she'll be sick off me hangin outta her soon enough

Advertisement