Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered Letter to US

Options
  • 07-01-2011 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi ,

I sent a Registered Letter containing a Bank draft to the U.S on the 17th of november and it has'nt reached it's destination yet :eek:

An Post's tracker says it has left Dublin , And USPS tracker's says it's 'Origin Post is preparing shipment' -Anyone know what this means ?

Tried ringing An Post & USPS With no joy :rolleyes: (If anyone ever tries phoning USPS i'd advise against it - Greatest load of Sh1te ever)

I know I sent this letter during the time of the snow, But surely it would be there by now !??

Has anyone else experienced a LONG delivery time sending stuff to the U.S lately ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Yep - box sent from tennessee to Kildare on 1st Dec is currently in Brazil:D

Company has sent replacement.

You'll have to cancel draft and send new one - normally it should take 5-7 days for letter to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This won't help you OP but I'll give you my experience.

I sent a registered letter to a family member in Australia recently. It hadn't shown up after about 4 weeks, so I rang to find out where it was. I was told that once a registered letter leaves Ireland, An Post didn't have any responsibility for it.

I asked what the point of sending a registered letter is, and the agent told me 'well you'll know it left Ireland.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I sent a parcel to the states on 17th Dec.
    Its still showing as '22nd Dec dispatched Heathrow hub'.

I rang anpost yesterday and they said due to weather and Christmas, everything was delayed, especially to the U.S.

I insured mine, as it was a return.
    So I'm covered if it doesn't get where its going to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I asked what the point of sending a registered letter is, and the agent told me 'well you'll know it left Ireland.'

LOL. Good response.

Had an ordinary parcel sent from the US on the 15 Dec, arrived on 20 Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

dobsdave wrote: »

I rang anpost yesterday and they said due to weather and Christmas, everything was delayed, especially to the U.S.

The exact same happened to me.
    My postage cost just under 16Euro, but the insurance only covers up to a value of 34Euro.
    In addition to the weather, due to recent happenings with regard to parcel bombs, there is a huge delay in the US in processing parcels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Iconcurr

Happened to me last year. Bank issued new draft without any problem once original wasnt cashed. Calimed form An Post, and eventually (9 month wait) got max refund. Investigation revealed nothing except item missing on the US side.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

I was going to Cancel the draft ,and send a new one - But the bank want a crazy sum of like 40 odd euro the cancel the draft and issue a new one :eek:
    So it'd be a sickener if i paid that and then it ended up arriving !

How much did you get refunded off an post ? Did it cover all your costs ?

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Registered mail comes with a pre-set maximum insurance, unless you specify a greater amount. You should have a value printed on the postal receipt, and you can claim for this amount. Details are on the An Post website about how you go about making a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Iconcurr

Received €25.39 (max allowed when no value declared at time of posting). I explained the lost post to the bank and they didnt charge anything - I understood that this was one of the advantages of using a draft,

My letter is insured to a maximum of €35 ... You must have nice people in my bank , I explained to mine that it was more than likely lost in the post ..robbin feckers lookin for €40 to cancel it !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

dobsdave wrote: »

Still in Heathrow as far as anybody knows!

Just thought i'd update my situation .

Still no sign of the Registered Letter i sent on the 17th of November :eek:

I've since cancelled the bank draft,and been issued with another one which i posted on the 21st of January, and it still has'nt showed up in the US :mad:

WTF an post - You'd be quicker sending a feckin pidgeon !

Its the last registered letter i'l ever send, and surely it should'nt take this long for a letter to reach america .

I tracked it on usps's site (I know their tracking is meant to be crap) and it says that origin post is preparing shipment.

What's going on with usps ?? :(

Advertisement