Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it essential for a player to "love" a club to play for them?

• 07-01-2011 5:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the traitor thread (which itself was a follow on from the Keano thread), do you think it is essential for someone to love the club they are playing for?

I mean, I never understood why some supporters just presume that because some kid who grew up in the slums of Botswana and got an opportunity to make a shed load of money by playing for a football team, should be derided if he happens to move to a rival?

This does not mean a "Traitor" to me. I mean, it's the guy's job.

Back when there were less foreigners in the game I would understand. A lot of the squads were made up of local guys. But now?

if you go to that thread, you will see that most of the players being called "traitor" are in fact players of a different nationality playing in a foreign league. So why should they care deep in their heart just because the club happen to pay their wages?

Anyway.......... discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There's very few football fans who still think a player loves their club.
    If they do they are deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JPA wrote: »
    There's very few football fans who still think a player loves their club.
    If they do they are deluded.

Then why are players still called traitors and "Judas"?

Man United fans call Tevez a traitor. And they were calling Wayne Rooney a Judas... even though he never even left the club. Someone made up a story about him angling for Man City and United fans brought a sign saying "Judas" to Old Trafford.

Why is this?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Then why are players still called traitors and "Judas"?

Man United fans call Tevez a traitor. And they were calling Wayne Rooney a Judas... even though he never even left the club. Someone made up a story about him angling for Man City and United fans brought a sign saying "Judas" to Old Trafford.

Why is this?

Some fans feel that a player owes the club or is disrespecting the fans by moving to a rival but I don't believe most players feel like that. They tend to do what their agent and accountant recommends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Your club is your employer.

If you lost form they'd drop you.
    If you get into trouble with the law you could get sacked, yes notable exceptions like Rio Ferdinand

I expect an player to give as much loyalty as me or you give to our employer and we've a longer career then them.

Only a fraction of footballers are financially set for life at the end of their career.
    But lower league rivalries can be just an intense

However, you are expected to give effort during your contract. Sulking, going outside to the media or not even trying isn't acceptable

Just give effort and take your Bosman move if you wish

Your club is your employer.

If you lost form they'd drop you.
    If you get into trouble with the law you could get sacked, yes notable exceptions like Rio Ferdinand

I expect an player to give as much loyalty as me or you give to our employer and we've a longer career then them.

Only a fraction of footballers are financially set for life at the end of their career.
    But lower league rivalries can be just an intense

However, you are expected to give effort during your contract. Sulking, going outside to the media or not even trying isn't acceptable

Just give effort and take your Bosman move if you wish

But if you sulked and moaned and didn't put in the effort at your job you'd be sacked with a bad reference.

In football they'd get a move to another club desperate or delighted to take them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

There are very few players who love the clubs they are playing for. I would imagine teh exception would be palyers who supported teh clubs as kids and then went on to play for them.

It seems to be the thing to do to profess your love for the club your playing for. Stories like that are generally published on the official sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

love? no.

but player probably needs to respect the manager, and the staff around him, to be play to the best of his ability IMO.

which is why the role of the manager now is so so scrutinised. back in the day, a manager probably needed to be less savvy with players, because generally, they would have loved the club through thick and thin.

another reason why, when talking about players and managers from different eras, it's virtually impossible to compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's pretty rare and when the odd one comes along that does, it's special.

That said, I think there is something a bit strange with a top player that wouldn't test himself at a higher level just to stay loyal to a club even though it's still admirable. Like the big fish small pond syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

With the likes of Sol Campbell (at Spurs for 12 years from a youth level) and Ashley Cole (at Arsenal for 9 years from a youth level and supporting them as a child), then you really would expect them to. It all depends how long you're at a club really, but spending 10 years at a club you'd surely develop a certain animosity towards it's closest rivals, so to then turn around and sign for them is poor form to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Nevermind the club, I would say there is large amount of players who actually aren't that interested in football. They just see as how they make money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Make a list of players who you think genuinely love their club. You'd be hard-pressed to find 20, I'd say. Sure, you'll find the odd Neville or Adams, but for every Maldini and Del Piero there's a Robbie Keane or David Speedie (for younger members this guy moved clubs so fast nobody has ever been able to take a still image of him)
    David_Speedy.jpg

Advertisement