Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

having problems with xbox live

Options
  • 07-01-2011 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi guys ive been on to your broadband help desk several times over the last year with this problem and have finally narrowed the problem down be a lot more specific but i got the feeling that the last fella i was talking to was still trying to fix another problem (that wasn't really a problem) so i done a search and it brought me here

My problem is that my xbox keeps disconnecting after a period of time when using wireless (not sure about laptops they used to, but haven't noticed it in a while) any way after getting in to the router settings and changing my Re-authentication Timer to 9999 I am getting 9999 seconds on line before it cuts of so i know that this is the problem but the fella in the call centre is sending me out a new modem witch i dont think will solve it as it seems more like a setting problem than a hardware problem

any suggestions? i did read a post from Ant where he was telling some one to put it up to 9999 if hey were still having problems but he didn't go any further in to it as the particular case must of been solved

any way any info on it would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    Conor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

conora2b wrote: »
    hi guys ive been on to your broadband help desk several times over the last year with this problem and have finally narrowed the problem down be a lot more specific but i got the feeling that the last fella i was talking to was still trying to fix another problem (that wasn't really a problem) so i done a search and it brought me here

My problem is that my xbox keeps disconnecting after a period of time when using wireless (not sure about laptops they used to, but haven't noticed it in a while) any way after getting in to the router settings and changing my Re-authentication Timer to 9999 I am getting 9999 seconds on line before it cuts of so i know that this is the problem but the fella in the call centre is sending me out a new modem witch i dont think will solve it as it seems more like a setting problem than a hardware problem

any suggestions? i did read a post from Ant where he was telling some one to put it up to 9999 if hey were still having problems but he didn't go any further in to it as the particular case must of been solved

thanks
    Conor

Hi conora2b

I will look into this for you. I have asked you to PM me on your other issue and as soon as I get these details I can chase. Will ask Ant to expand on this previous post.
    Tony:)
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

thanks
    Conor

Hi conora2b,

Thanks for your query. I believe you have received your new replacement router. Part of the reason for it being replaced was it would give you options to configure Nat Entry settings.

If you need to change the re-authentication timing settings, these can be found under wireless LAN - Advanced settings. I'm told that setting the reauthentication timing to Zero should allow your games console (xbox) to stay connected over WPA authentication.

If this doesn't work, perhaps setting up WEP encryption, instead of WPA, will also help.
    Another option would be to increase the Entries per user from the default 512 to 2048.

You might also look at some links on Youtube - configuring the router for NAT and port forwarding.

You should also contact the games console vendor, as they may be able to advise on this.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Regards
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 14 conora2b

sorry ant i had been dealing with tony over PM and hadn't checked this thread in a while just noticed it now, that i have the issue sorted i had tried changing the re-authentication timer value to 0 but it just told me that 10 was the lowest so i ended up changing to a static WEP instead and that solved the problem as for the new router i tried it for a few hrs and it was the same as the other one with same firmware and all so i just sent it back as i knew it wasn't the issue

P.S. its great to have you on boards and you are running a very fast and friendly service here long may it continue so i dont have to listen to that robot or bollywood boys on your support line ever again :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

sorry ant i had been dealing with tony over PM and hadn't checked this thread in a while just noticed it now, that i have the issue sorted i had tried changing the re-authentication timer value to 0 but it just told me that 10 was the lowest so i ended up changing to a static WEP instead and that solved the problem as for the new router i tried it for a few hrs and it was the same as the other one with same firmware and all so i just sent it back as i knew it wasn't the issue

P.S. its great to have you on boards and you are running a very fast and friendly service here long may it continue so i dont have to listen to that robot or bollywood boys on your support line ever again :cool:

Hi,

Ok great, thanks for getting back to us :)

Regards, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Great to hear you have it sorted out now.

I called you a couple of times just to make sure everything was fine.

Glad our presence on boards is welcome and so far the reaction has been objective and fair.

I have to admit it's been good for us too. We want to be out there and we want to offer you guys more than just a customer service. We'd like to build a community and take the knocks with the blows, as well as nice comments.

all the best and let's know if I can help you with any thing again.

Ant

• Advertisement
Advertisement