Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hanging picture help please

• 07-01-2011 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    At work we have a photo exhibition every now and again.
    Picture frames are similar to this.

The pictures are hung on fish wire and a normal picture hook (like this).

But a few of them fell down. The space where they're hung has a slight draft.

Anyone have any suggestion how best to hang them so that they won't fall down? We change our exhibition every now and then so have to be able to remove the frames to change pictures.
    I'd guess replace the fish wire with less flexible cable? But what type of picture hooks would be best?
    Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Try using longer lengths of fish wire, so the picture hangs down lower, shifting the centre of gravity - should help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I've been using these lately, to great success. I picked a pack up on a whim in B&Q for about €4 a few weeks back. They're surprisingly strong and they come away without leaving any marks at all.
    I hung a couple of 12x10 frames last week with one on each side and it's perfect. Nicely hidden and fits virtually flush against the wall, so it might negate your draft issue completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

NakedDex wrote: »
    I've been using these lately, to great success. I picked a pack up on a whim in B&Q for about €4 a few weeks back. They're surprisingly strong and they come away without leaving any marks at all.
    I hung a couple of 12x10 frames last week with one on each side and it's perfect. Nicely hidden and fits virtually flush against the wall, so it might negate your draft issue completely.
    Cheers, I've tried them but our wall has a VERY thin coat of paint so they fall off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what about using a picture rail hanging system

that way its designed to change but is made from bars rather than fishing wire

the other option is put a little but of velcro at the bottom so the draft cant get behind them

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

Try these instead, if you move pics around every so often they wont leave much wall damage, the nail goes in at an angle, not straight like those plastic ones. There is a lot less of a chance of these falling down.

All the usual diy places stock these

02-picture_hooks-l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    At work we have a photo exhibition every now and again.
    Picture frames are similar to this.

The pictures are hung on fish wire and a normal picture hook (like this).

But a few of them fell down. The space where they're hung has a slight draft.

Anyone have any suggestion how best to hang them so that they won't fall down? We change our exhibition every now and then so have to be able to remove the frames to change pictures.
    I'd guess replace the fish wire with less flexible cable? But what type of picture hooks would be best?
    Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

do they fall off the hooks?
    what do you mean by fish wire? is it fishing line?

fishing line can be very springy and you need to knot it correctly, no granny knots.

Also I'm thinking that nylon fishing line on a nylon hook might easily slide off would you be able to tape the line in place after it was hung?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

Visuelle wrote: »
    Try these instead, if you move pics around every so often they wont leave much wall damage, the nail goes in at an angle, not straight like those plastic ones. There is a lot less of a chance of these falling down.

All the usual diy places stock these

02-picture_hooks-l.jpg

second that,

simple physics... a nail at an angle must be pulled "through the wall" those 4 straight nail versions can just pull straight out!

sheesh wrote: »
    do they fall off the hooks?
    what do you mean by fish wire? is it fishing line?

fishing line can be very springy and you need to knot it correctly, no granny knots.

Also I'm thinking that nylon fishing line on a nylon hook might easily slide off would you be able to tape the line in place after it was hung?

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    It's the nylon fishing line. The hooks stay in the same place, we just replace the pictures in the frames every now and again.
    I'm going to replace the wire with something better- what's best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Old fashioned picture rail - works best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    It's the nylon fishing line. The hooks stay in the same place, we just replace the pictures in the frames every now and again.
    I'm going to replace the wire with something better- what's best?

here is a proper knot for fishing line

there is also fishing (metal)wire that is secured with crimps (little metal cylinders that you squeeze unto the line with pliars) that could handle the tension no problem but is weakened if it gets twisted.

I assume there is a specific product for hanging pictures that does the same thing.

Are the pictures coming down because the knot on the line is breaking?
    or

is the line breaking at the point where it is in contact with hook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

call sisslings in dublin and ask them for a roll of picture hanging thread... they'll post it to you (they are a wholesale picture framing supplier) and d-rings for screwing to the frame....

Sisslings won't send ya that as they went out of business a few months ago.

The best thing to use is picture wire

• Registered Users Posts: 4 beckyboo5

i would defo use a picture hanging system once its up its fully ajustable , we got are's off sisslings but they went under there is another company that supplyed us with extra bits for are rails hangingsolutions.ie you can get a very small rail at the top of your ceiling and see-true wires so it doesnt stand out..

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I bought Brass Wire with steel core picture wire, similar to this.

Just wondering how's the best way to apply it to the frame? I have hooks for the wire to go through but do I just loop and loop it over once it's through the hooks?

Cheers,
    Pa.

you need to have a d ring on each side of the frame

then roop the end of the wire twice through the ring

then twist the wire round itself keeping it tight to the ring, about and inch of length of twists should be good

the wire should NOT be tight scross the frame, but at and angle of around 60 facing to the top of the frame

• Registered Users Posts: 4 beckyboo5

Hi try a perlon with loop it is part of a hanging system. it is see through but a lot stronger that cat gut or fishinh line and is designed to hold pictures not to expensive either www.hangingsolutions.ie :) hope the helps

Advertisement