Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a DVI/HDMI carry sound

Options
  • 07-01-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell DIM5000 which I want to connect it to my HDTV. If I connect from the DVI output to the TV via HDMI input, will this also carry sound?
    I will have a 7.5m Premium Gold cable from LINDY.
    It is too far away from the PC to use the PC sound and hence I need to know if the sound will come through the TV.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

boccy23 wrote: »
    I have a Dell DIM5000 which I want to connect it to my HDTV. If I connect from the DVI output to the TV via HDMI input, will this also carry sound?
    I will have a 7.5m Premium Gold cable from LINDY.
    It is too far away from the PC to use the PC sound and hence I need to know if the sound will come through the TV.

No integrated Intel graphics cards are not capable of doing this as the DVI standard does not transmit audio. Only fairly recent ATI and NVidia cards can carry audio from DVI -> HDMI as they use propritory technology to do this. (Essentially they have an inbuit sound device on their graphics cards and use custom DVI-HDMI adapters to carry the audio from the DVI port to the HDMI cable. ).

You will need a new graphics card if you want to do this (and so may as well just get one with a HDMI output). Something like an ATI HD5450 which can be got for about €40 would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭boccy23

Cheers. Thanks for that.

As a complete novice, is it easy to change out the Graphics Card?

Does the PC automatically recognise same or are installations/drivers needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

A 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male jack will do the job for now.

31SXHSAQR9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Stick in your headphone socket and your TV should have a line in on the back.

€2 in power City.

but yeah upgrade anyway intel gpus are crap :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

boccy23 wrote: »
    Cheers. Thanks for that.

As a complete novice, is it easy to change out the Graphics Card?

Does the PC automatically recognise same or are installations/drivers needed?

Ah yeah it is quite easy to do, there is a section in the DIM5000 manual showing how to do it. (Scroll down to PCI Express card installation)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/en/sm/parts0.htm#wp1079933

You would have to install drivers afterwards but again this is a very straightforward job 99.99% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Read up a bit on electrostatic discharge (ESD) if you've never worked with electronic components before! :)

Also, download the latest driver from AMD / Nvidia before you install the card. They are large files so you dont want to be waiting around in the middle of an install.

The CD driver will most likely be out of date (although you can use it to get started than update after everything up and running).

• Advertisement
Advertisement