Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Ireland Manager

• 07-01-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I've looked thro all the treads and can't find one on who would you like to see as next Ireland manager?

With Traps era looking like it coming to a close after 2012 Euro's who would you like to see take over?

Personally I feel Trap has brought us a far a possible, & it was huge to lose Liam Brady. Also the exclusion of Reid and the defensive approach (Paul Green I'm still confused) are not what are needed. I thank him for all he has done but it will be time to move on before or after the Euro's.

Also who would you think would be a realistic target for the FAI?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Chris Hughton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brian Kerr and give him a fair crack at it this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Paul McShane, player manager.

/thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Roy Keane

So now it's been said we can all move on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've looked thro all the treads and can't find one on who would you like to see as next Ireland manager?

With Traps era looking like it coming to a close after 2012 Euro's who would you like to see take over?

Personally I feel Trap has brought us a far a possible, & it was huge to lose Liam Brady. Also the exclusion of Reid and the defensive approach (Paul Green I'm still confused) are not what are needed. I thank him for all he has done but it will be time to move on before or after the Euro's.

Also who would you think would be a realistic target for the FAI?

Right now, I would say Chris Hughton would be high on their wanted list, but who knows what will happen over the next year and a half. Heard rumours that the job is basically nailed on for Tardelli - don't know if that is actually the case though.

Really though, with about 18 months to go until it is an actual issue (i doubt the FAI will act before Trap goes) it is far to hard to call it - can't really think of any outstanding candidates that would be considered Irish, Hughton being the most likely as I have said. There will, of course, be press backing for Keane (don't want to start a debate on his talents or lack there of) but I don't think he or the FAI would go for it, unless there is massive change in the FAI over the next year or so- which will not happen. You could make a case for Owen Coyle - but I think he will be gainfully employed at a high level by then, and don't see him as a realistic shout because of that.

Of course the next manager doesn't have to be Irish - so that opens the can of worms, and then I really do have no idea who we could or should target.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Chris Hughton

I think Chris would be a good choice. I doubt you'd have to pay him as much as Trap either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I think Chris would be a good choice. I doubt you'd have to pay him as much as Trap either.
    He'd be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can we please not mention of the exclusion of Andy Reid on this thread.

We all have opinions on it but it probably the most pointless topic ever and has a thread of it's own if I'm not mistaken.

Hughton would be awesome but his stock is probably a bit too high.

Roy perhaps?

No doubt the FAI will go for someone totally off the wall though.

In positive news for Ireland though, three Irish MOTM in the premiership this weekend. Best - Coleman - Hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think Tardelli is being lined up

Is Hughton not a bit young?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Papa Smut wrote: »

Steve Staunton?

Papa Smut wrote: »
    He's in his 50's..... Is that too young or is that just compared to Trap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

If at all possible Mick McCarthy he's only become a better manager since he left all those years ago and he might think he has some unfinished business with us.

If not

Try hard for Sam Allardyce.

peabutler wrote: »
    If at all possible Mick McCarthy he's only become a better manager since he left all those years ago and he might think he has some unfinished business with us.

If not

Try hard for Sam Allardyce.
    Keep Fat Sam away at all costs IMO

amiable wrote: »
    Keep Fat Sam away at all costs IMO

I don't like Fat Sam but I sure reckon he can do a good job with limited players.

I don't like Fat Sam but I sure reckon he can do a good job with limited players.
    He'd walk away as soon as he got offered another premier league job

He's holding out for the Man united job anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

He's holding out for the Man united job anyway
    I thought it was the Madrid job he wanted

He'd be open to either i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Exactly. We need a manager who can make the most of limited players and Sam is that. Like with Trap, the football mightn't be pretty, but he'll guarantee results (although Trap has stopped that of late).

I think Sam would be an excellent choice. I don't like his personality or alot of the crap he talks but he's a good manager who gets the most from limited players. Exactly what Ireland need.

• Advertisement

He'd be open to either i'd say

He could surely do both? La Liga matches involving Madrid typically don't kick off until the late evening time on Saturdays and Sundays so he could easily accommodate 2 fixtures per weekend.

Champions' league matches could be the only problem, as kickoffs tend to be at uniform times.

Maybe he could position himself halfway between both matches and command activity simultaneously via 2 separate Madonna headsets attached to both ears?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    He could surely do both? La Liga matches involving Madrid typically don't kick off until the late evening time on Saturdays and Sundays so he could easily accommodate 2 fixtures per weekend.

Champions' league matches could be the only problem, as kickoffs tend to be at uniform times.

Maybe he could position himself halfway between both matches and command activity simultaneously via 2 separate Madonna headsets attached to both ears?
    I like the way you are thinking. More positive attitudes like that is needed in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Martin O' Neill if he can be convinced to manage an international team

He applied for the England job although that would have a lot higher of a salary. He would have been working with better players there also. He seems to want the chance to work with top quality players, which we have few off at the minute.

Before im attacked i am an Ireland fan i just seem to to think England have better players at their disposal.

You know what, even though he has left Villa in tatters financially and also dumped the club in a perilous position walking out 5 days before the season started, I'd actually love to see him manage Ireland and think he could do extremely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

You heard it here. It's gonna be Mick McCarthy.

Same lad told me Alan Pardew had the Newcastle job, a week before Chris Hughton was sacked.

He applied for the England job although that would have a lot higher of a salary. He would have been working with better players there also. He seems to want the chance to work with top quality players, which we have few off at the minute.

Before im attacked i am an Ireland fan i just seem to to think England have better players at their disposal.
    I heard at the time he was in for the England job that he had a condition that he wasn't obliged to pick Beckham cos the FA needed him playing for commercial reasons. Only a rumour at the time. I'd say he'd be interested in the Irish job at his age. Hard to know if he has the apetite for day to day club management anymore

You know what, even though he has left Villa in tatters financially and also dumped the club in a perilous position walking out 5 days before the season started, I'd actually love to see him manage Ireland and think he could do extremely well.

He is great at making average players punch above their weight. I would still be sceptical if he could do it at a top team. But Ireland wont be challenging for World Cups anytime soon and he would be ideal for us.

I heard at the time he was in for the England job that he had a condition that he wasn't obliged to pick Beckham cos the FA needed him playing for commercial reasons. Only a rumour at the time. I'd say he'd be interested in the Irish job at his age. Hard to know if he has the apetite for day to day club management anymore

I dont think the FA wanted such an outspoken manager. He is his own man and doesnt take sh1t from above. Thats why the FA went for MacLaren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Jim Gannon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Owen Coyle anyone, a former player!
    Martin O Neill? i like Brady but as manager not so sure. Sam me arse rather have stan back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Paul Jewell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Paul Jewell?

wasnt interested last time. Anyway going to ipswich to sort out Keanes mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Kinnear or McCarthy

Kinnear or McCarthy
    If the former got it we'd be be up shít creek without a boat never mind a paddle

• Advertisement

Billy Bingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

limerick been a good example but sure fat sam would even pat himself on the back for that one:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I think Liverpool will land O'Neill if money is available for transfers, he'd be deadly for Ireland but couldn't see it myself

I'd like to see Mick Mac back in the seat, no bull**** and wolves play good football.

Kinnear would be a sin & I wouldn't like to see Fat Sam takeover or double O Souness .

I heard Tardelli is ranked to succeed Trap, at least he's based in England but I'd rather see Mick Mac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

similarily to my fellow Villa fan despite leaving Villa in not exactley the best of ways/circumstances id like to see MON at Villa. I think he is a man who can like others mentioned get the best out of limited players and make them play above their usual ability so id be happy if he was an option.

My opinion of McCarthy has also vastly improved since he was Ireland manager and honestly id welcome him back for another stint but dunno why he would want it tbh unless he has a point to prove there.

I dont think anyone would dislike the idea of Hughton and if he stays out of employment till then he really would be the obvious choice imo.

Tardelli wouldent be bad but I would like a change after Trap and he would not be likely to bring that about.

Any of the first three id be happy with and they all have irish connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I wouldn't want Chris Hughton as I feel he's a flash in the pan, and he'll probably have a job in the Championship at that stage anyway.

The likes of Martin O'Neill and Sam Allardyce would likely be working, or we'd be in a situation where if we do get them that he'd leave to take a club job, a la Alex McCleish and Walter Smith.

The only type of candidates I think we'll be looking at are the Steve Coppell's and Mic Mac's. It's not a job that will set many managers hearts racing.

It'll be Coppell or Mic Mac (if he's unemployed) IMO.

• Advertisement

similarily to my fellow Villa fan despite leaving Villa in not exactley the best of ways/circumstances id like to see MON at Villa.

Aha!! The truth comes out!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

There is a rare blend of a serious lack of ambition (Kinnear) and delusion (MON) on this thread.

Trapp is there for the next 18 months. Tardelli is then a shoe in for a couple of years after. If anyone thinks the out of work English journeymen could do a better job than Trapp has with the worst group of Irish talent in 30 years, you are on cuckoo land.

I'd be off the opinion that be 2014 Ireland will be in a good shape, the 94' generation of players (I.E Kids who would have been between say 5-12 in 94) will be in their peak guys like McGeady,Gibson, McCarthy, Foley etc and the 02' generation will be young up and coming footballers who as of yet are only just making the break or are still unknown Joe Mason etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Well there 3 main names touted on this thread are the 3 I want to see get it. Not sure in which or of preference but it is Big Sam, MON and Chris Hughton.
    Big Sam already came out and said he would love to manage Ireland after Trap.

major bill wrote: »
    limerick been a good example but sure fat sam would even pat himself on the back for that one:)
    Limerick wasn't that much of a surprise. He actually had a few talented young players on the verge of going abroad when he was in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Mourinho. It could happen. Hear that, Delaney? Keep playing the EuroMillions.

Brian Kerr or Mick McCarthy would be good.

Owen Coyle anyone, a former player!
    Martin O Neill? i like Brady but as manager not so sure. Sam me arse rather have stan back.
    I think Owen Coyle is trying to work his way up the ladder to a big job. He always insists he wouldn't stop his players moving on to bigger clubs. Fair play to him. I do think he'd do a good job though

Paully D wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Chris Hughton as I feel he's a flash in the pan, and he'll probably have a job in the Championship at that stage anyway.

The likes of Martin O'Neill and Sam Allardyce would likely be working, or we'd be in a situation where if we do get them that he'd leave to take a club job, a la Alex McCleish and Walter Smith.

The only type of candidates I think we'll be looking at are the Steve Coppell's and Mic Mac's. It's not a job that will set many managers hearts racing.

It'll be Coppell or Mic Mac (if he's unemployed) IMO.
    I don't think Hughton is a flash in the pan myself. He was kept on for a very long time at Spurs by several managers as he knows his football. I don't think that was a coincidence.
    As for Coppell you have to be kidding. First crisis the man will walk again. I can't see him getting another job again after the way he treated Bristol City and Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I hear Roy Hodgson will be available pretty soon. Was once tipped as England manager...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Aha!! The truth comes out!! :eek:

hahahha whoops, typo
    There is a rare blend of a serious lack of ambition (Kinnear) and delusion (MON) on this thread.

either that or some of us have experienced MON as a club manager and despite the fact that our club enjoyed some good times under him the general consensus is that he wouldent get (deserve) a bigger job after his time at Villa but that he might actually suit international management where his flaws may not be as apparent i.e no transfers etc. Plus of course the fact that he is Irish (NI i know) and would like to spend as much time as possible with his family something which would be afforded to him in an international setup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement