Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Ireland Manager

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

They should consider Roy Keane (though I dont think they would).

He is our greatest ever player and will insist on the highest of standards in preparation. He also will not stand for any crap from the FAI.

He did a very good job with Sunderland and achieved promotion from an almost impossible situation and kept them up. He has set the groundwork for the current run.
    At Ipswich things havent gone well for him but that is at least partly due to the difficulty in getting top players to go there.

He is Irish and totally comitted to the cause and he has gained valuable managerial experience. In fact I dont think he would be as ultra conservative as Trapatoni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I'd say it'll be Tardelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

http://www.paddypower.com/football/football-specials/manager-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=368903

Hughton, Tardelli 9/2

MO'N, Brady, Jol 10/1

Venables 11/1

Allardyce 12/1

Mick McCarthy is 33/1 so flanzer seeing as you're so certain you might as well make yourself a pretty penny in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Chris Hughton if available. Would love to see Mick McCarthy back but I think his stock has improved in England as of late and he may even get a bigger job than Wolves if he plays his cards right.

Hughton would jump at the chance. Its just a matter of him holding out for it.

I wouldn't rule Tardelli out though just because he is Traps assistant. He could have ideas of his own on how to play the game so could well be a breath of fresh air. And one that commands instant respect for what he has achieved in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

There's been no mention of Mick O Dwyer yet.

Seriously Though i think tardelli should have a crack at it.

MR NINE wrote: »
    Venables 11/1

Sweet Jesus no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

F*cking Venables....Sven with a **** goatee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I definitely think Tardelli is being groomed for the position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Owen Coyle
    Mick McCarthy
    David O'Leary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

roy keane and john delany as assistant...........10000000000/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Big Sam? Surely he'd be more interested in the Reals, Barcas of the world. My opinion on Allardyce is, to quote Dunphy when Big Ron was mentioned a few years back, 'no Bill. No. Absolutely not.'

Hughton - for me ticks all the boxes. Former international, familiar with the set-up, is respected within the game as a good coach, I'd be fully behind him if he wanted it.

Coyle - unrealistic target imo as I think he is going to have no problem getting a Premiership club and it would hinge on him wanting to go into the international arena. He'd be great but is unrealistic.

MON - I think this is also unrealistic, though I reckon he'd be fantastic.

Mick - I'd be fine with him coming back for another go. I think that his tenure ended in a rather sour way with the Saipan aftertaste still around. Would he want it again though?

Keano - I'd be fine with him getting the job but tbh it would be a divisive one and might cause more damage in the long run.

Kerr - For me, no. I respect what he did and has done with the Fairies but I can't see it as a step forward. I don't think this would be met with much enthusiasm.

Tardelli - Wouldn't be my first choice and would be a bit underwhelming but if he got it he'd deserve a chance.

I'd be against anyone being linked who wouldn't be considered for a Premiership or Championship club, ie the Venables, Atkinsons, Robsons of the world. Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

amiable wrote: »
    I don't think Hughton is a flash in the pan myself. He was kept on for a very long time at Spurs by several managers as he knows his football. I don't think that was a coincidence.
    As for Coppell you have to be kidding. First crisis the man will walk again. I can't see him getting another job again after the way he treated Bristol City and Man City

I don't want Coppell either, I'm just saying that he'll be one of the main candidates.

The likes of O'Neill, Coyle etc will be in club management and the Irish job is not enough to lure them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Tony Adams might be an outside bet, rebuilding his name in Azerbijan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

One thing to remember is that the FAI finances aren't exactly rosey in the garden atm and most of those mentioned would likely get a hell of a lot more money at club level. We have Denis O'Brien more or less paying for Trap sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Paul McShane, player manager.

/thread.
    Jesus, you must've had some nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

My shortlist as things stand would be:

Mick McCarthy: passionate, knows players well, nice guy. Saipan should be buried for 90% of the fans at this stage. The 10% who still think Roy keane been a great footballer meant he had a type of papal infallIbility should stay away.

Roy hodgson: may favour a return to intl management after stress of Liverpool job. Pool job was too big for him but he showed at fulham he can manage players of a modest ability well.

Gordon strachan: won trophies at Celtic, disaster at middlesboro, got soton to an fa cup final and kept them in the premier league for three seasons. Kept coventry up as well for a few seasons. Risky appointment as he has a reputation of rubbing people up the wrong

Chris hughton has been the no. 1 at a club for 1 and a half seasons. Anyone who thinks that is sufficient experience of management to get the Irish job are setting the bar extremely low.

Owen coyle and martin o'neill would not be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Dots1982 wrote: »

Mick McCarthy: passionate, knows players well, nice guy. Saipan should be buried for 90% of the fans at this stage. The 10% who still think Roy keane been a great footballer meant he had a type of papal infallIbility should stay away.

Roy hodgson: may favour a return to intl management after stress of Liverpool job. Pool job was too big for him but he showed at fulham he can manage players of a modest ability well.

Gordon strachan: won trophies at Celtic, disaster at middlesboro, got soton to an fa cup final and kept them in the premier league for three seasons. Kept coventry up as well for a few seasons. Risky appointment as he has a reputation of rubbing people up the wrong

Chris hughton has been the no. 1 at a club for 1 and a half seasons. Anyone who thinks that is sufficient experience of management to get the Irish job are setting the bar extremely low.

Owen coyle and martin o'neill would not be interested.

Are yiu from Northern Ireland???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

why does terry venables get dragged up in these conversations all the time? the last thing he won was the cup at spurs in 91. since then he was manager of an england team that automatically qualified for euro 96. they probably had the best bunch of players at the tournament but germany were just a better team. he's overseen part of leeds demise to the 3rd tier and muddled about for a while at middlesborough.

knowing the usual bunch of chancers that turn up for the 'interview process,' we'll probably see mike walker's name popping up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paully D wrote: »
    I don't want Coppell either, I'm just saying that he'll be one of the main candidates.

The likes of O'Neill, Coyle etc will be in club management and the Irish job is not enough to lure them away.
    Nobody in their right mind would even look at Coppell anymore cos of his tendency to walk

Are yiu from Northern Ireland???

No

• Advertisement

why does terry venables get dragged up in these conversations all the time? the last thing he won was the cup at spurs in 91. since then he was manager of an england team that automatically qualified for euro 96. they probably had the best bunch of players at the tournament but germany were just a better team. he's overseen part of leeds demise to the 3rd tier and muddled about for a while at middlesborough.

knowing the usual bunch of chancers that turn up for the 'interview process,' we'll probably see mike walker's name popping up again.

He gets glowing references from nearly every explayer he's managed. For me he is too long out of the game and a lot of fans really seem to hate him so he would be too divisive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

QUOTE]

It's ****e like this, is the reason Irish football is where it is.

I suppose you think Phil Babb was world class do you.

Fooking Joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

It really depends on who is available when the job vacancy comes up.

Personally, I would love to see Chris Hughton get the job.

QUOTE]

It's ****e like this, is the reason Irish football is where it is.

I suppose you think Phil Babb was world class do you.

Fooking Joke.

think you misunderstood my comment. Roy keane Was a great footballer but for a few Irish fans this means that he can do no wrong.

It really depends on who is available when the job vacancy comes up.

Personally, I would love to see Chris Hughton get the job.

Two things; the fai should be sounding out candidates now rather than waiting till the
    job is available so we are not left without a manager for 3 months like has been the case before stan and trap got appointed.

Secondly, am I the only one who sees hughton as completely unqualified. He's been a manager for about 18 months. Being a coach or an asst manager is not at all the same thing.

Advertisement