Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super League 2011. General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Things are moving fast at wakefield this evening. Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/wakefield/9400430.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

It is a relief to know that Wakey have a future, albeit more than likely in the National League from next year.

The new signings are more to do with ensuring the club have enough players in the squad to be able to fulfil the fixtures. Apparently we have only 18 fit players to take to France for the Catalan match.

Huddersfield are attempting to ease their conscience of robbing us of Ferguson by giving us two junior players who they don't feel are going to make the grade (sorry for the blatant cynicism:rolleyes:)

It is a long hard season ahead for Wakey and it may take a long time (and a lot of drubbings) for the club to take the 4 point deduction and turn it into a positive number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Leeds a little lucky towards the end, coupla let-offs for high tackles with two tries in it and a knock on called against Hull when it wasn't.

amacachi wrote: »
    Leeds a little lucky towards the end, coupla let-offs for high tackles with two tries in it and a knock on called against Hull when it wasn't.

Yep, probably a wee bit lucky, but thought we controlled the game well throughout and deserved the win on balance. Timely win for Wakey in Perpignan last night. Saw the highlights, Catalans were utterly dire, appalling in defence and massive ill-discipline. Some of the tries they conceeded were embarrassing. I don't see matters improving for league lovers in France this season, in fact from the way they played over the last two weeks I reckon they are going to have a very, very lean time of it.

toomevara wrote: »
    Yep, probably a wee bit lucky, but thought we controlled the game well throughout and deserved the win on balance. Timely win for Wakey in Perpignan last night. Saw the highlights, Catalans were utterly dire, appalling in defence and massive ill-discipline. Some of the tries they conceeded were embarrassing. I don't see matters improving for league lovers in France this season, in fact from the way they played over the last two weeks I reckon they are going to have a very, very lean time of it.

Think even the most die-hard Wakey fans were surprised the team could score 7 tries in beating the Dragons. Agree with Toome, Catalan were dire and any team with a defence like that is going to find it a very tough season.

Hats off to Kear though, to get a performance like that from a very inexperienced young side, without a recognised scrum-half or stand-off is yet another fine example of his motivational, backs-against-the-wall style of coaching at which he excels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Good news and bad news for Quins. They make it 2 wins out of 2, and a crowd of 1700 turn out to see it. The end of the football season wont come soon enough from Quins point of view.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Good news and bad news for Quins. They make it 2 wins out of 2, and a crowd of 1700 turn out to see it. The end of the football season wont come soon enough from Quins point of view.

Does the attendance tend to improve in the summer? Good start to the season for them though.

Does the attendance tend to improve in the summer? Good start to the season for them though.

They pick up, a bit, they are competing with so many football teams in London and the South East, and the Rugby Union season. Making the Summer game one that starts in the summer would help too, IMHO. There just needs to be a few more people cop on to the fact RL is a great, fast moving game, and if the Quins have reasonable season it might encourage a few to try. Not holding my breath though.

Todays attendance isn't helped by the lack of away support from Crusaders, most other teams bring a few down to London. (Not that you can be successful relying on other teams to add to your crowd!!)

Keep on winning and they will come. I like Quins this year, looking very, very solid. Speaking of which, anyone catch Cas/Giants last night. Cas look good. Played some lovely old school rugby. Nice precision, good completion rate and a lovely kicking game. Seriously mean defence as well.

Just a heads up to any of ye who have sky+. In the 'Anytime' section there's an interesting debate Stevo V Barnes, RU v RL....worth a look if you can catch it.

• Advertisement

Not seeing it on mine. :(

Just getting an error on that link, must be UK only or something.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12610_6757795,00.html

This is the link you want. Which is weird cos it looks just like Tooms link, but I got an error on his link too. Stevo fights the corner quite well I think.

Hoping Jones-Bishop takes it easy on his former team-mates tomorrow night, he has started like a steam train this year. And will Quins continue the trend of all their points being scored by a Luke??

Hoping Jones-Bishop takes it easy on his former team-mates tomorrow night, he has started like a steam train this year. And will Quins continue the trend of all their points being scored by a Luke??

Jones-Bishop may well start at full back tonight. Be interesting to see how he goes. Also be interesting to see how McCarthy-Scarsbrook goes tonight for saints in their new home at Widnes. He's looking very, very good so far.

Though I have no doubt there will be a big turnaround in one of these games, the two away teams have started brilliantly so far.

Warrington 18 nil up, Harlequins 18 - 12 up at half time. Think Warrington will hang on and Quins will get shoed second half unfortunately.

Superb start by wire. Hope they can maintain it. Been listening to Leeds/Quins on radio..sounds like Quins good value for the lead.

Great first-half of rugby. Top class defending from Wires. Saints have been a little unlucky with the rub of the green but Wires deservedly in front.

What a poor ref Bentham is though season after season:(

Jaysis even Briers is looking for work in defence, surely Warries night?? What about Eastmond, his form has fallen off a cliff..one eye on bath/RU perhaps?

• Advertisement

Great score Anderson, surely even Saints cant come back from this.

GO on QUINS!!!! Finish the job.

GO on QUINS!!!! Finish the job.

Congrats Doofer, great stuff. Did a proper job on us. As I've said looking real good this year. Should get a few bums on seats and, more good news, next weeks game from the stoop is televised. Reckon you should make the trip!!!

toomevara wrote: »
    Congrats Doofer, great stuff. Did a proper job on us. As I've said looking real good this year. Should get a few bums on seats and, more good news, next weeks game from the stoop is televised. Reckon you should make the trip!!!

Amazed, we have had a great start to the season which should give our new coach a bit of confidence. Would love to go over and see them, might need a lotto win first though!!!

Absolutely delighted. :cool:

Another strange start to the season. Hope it's not another false dawn like last season and we get a few new teams truly challenging the old guard.

It is nothing new though for Saints to give the early season impression that they aren't as good as they used to be and then to gather momentum as the season progresses.

Always think that this is the best time to meet the 'big' teams and cause an upset before they get into their stride.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Another strange start to the season. Hope it's not another false dawn like last season and we get a few new teams truly challenging the old guard.

It is nothing new though for Saints to give the early season impression that they aren't as good as they used to be and then to gather momentum as the season progresses.

Always think that this is the best time to meet the 'big' teams and cause an upset before they get into their stride.

Way to rain on my parade!!! (You are probably right though!)

WakeyTyke wrote: »

+1. RL desperately needs this. I would love to see Quins, Cas, Wakey doing well this season. certainly really like what I'm seeing from Cas and Quins in particular (cant judge Wakey properly because that Catalans team last weekend were a bad joke), but the question is, do they have the strength in depth for a long attritional season. Anyway I certainly hope this is a sign of things to come.

Way to rain on my parade!!! (You are probably right though!)

Wakey have taken some big scalps at the start of the past few seasons but always fell away later in the season.

Afraid Toome that Wakey wont be challenging the elite this season, we might pull off a shock or two but the squad is very young, inexperienced and shallow.

Cas look a better bet as do Crusaders, really hope Quins make big strides but don't know much about them yet.

From what I could tell in my drunken stupor Warrington seemed to just smash Saints out of it. Also found Eastmond funny when he went a bit mad about handling errors, should be a laugh seeing him in RU. :pac:

Also, gwan the Quins! :D

• Advertisement

Also found Eastmond funny when he went a bit mad about handling errors, should be a laugh seeing him in RU. :

Yeah, he's either got his head at Bath, carrying an injury or suffering a catastrophic loss of form. There's no doubt he's a shadow of the player he was 12 months ago...he seems really reluctant to attack the line and isn't playing up as flat as he used to.....and some of those passes he was chucking about last night wouldn't look out of place on an RU field.

The Table as it stands today...just thought I'd pop that up for you doofer...enjoy!

1 Harlequins
    2 Castleford
    3 Leeds
    4 Warrington
    5 Wigan
    6 St Helens
    7 Hull KR
    8 Huddersfield
    9 Hull FC
    10 Catalans Dragons
    11 Bradford
    12 Salford