Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

RandyMann wrote: »
    Yes D is correct, bulking up is not the goal. The goal is to get as strong as you possibly can and keep your weight as low as you can. ie have a good power to weight ratio.
    I have only put on about 2kg since I started sprinting and doing weights but my bodyfat has dropped to 8% from the intensive track sessions.
    You will not bulk much if you are doing the track sessions. You will grow lean muscle mass but it will be useful. I am 68kg for a height of 172cms

Currently my core work is hanging gar hammers(youtube) and I have done planks, pushups and crunches on a swissball in the past.

The main area to focus on for sprinting is the posterior chain(hamstrings, glutes, back) and the compound exercises like deadlift and its variations will be most helpful. Squats are also important. For upper body, I have done stuff like bench press, shoulder press, pull ups and dips.
    I have gone to a strength coach for a program recently and he has me doing what he calls a strength accumulation phase while also correcting imbalances. This is to get me ready for the olympic type lifts like power cleans and snatches etc. which he will coach me how to do. The reason I went to this strength coach is because I witnessed a rapid improvement in one of my club mates who has been going to him. If you can find a strength coach in Oz that has sprinting knowledge it would be a huge benefit. To do it safely and to learn how to do the power lifts with correct technique is paramount.

On a good week I try and get in 3 weights sessions which alternates between upper and lower body. I try and train 5 days a week with 2 track sessions and a jog over the weekend. Sometimes I do a double session on a Saturday if I dont have the time in the morning to finish my program. The trick is finding the right balance so I dont overdo it and run myself down.

While weights are important, proper coaching on the track is crucial(as you know) and this is how I am improving in conjunction with the gym.

Like I said, if you use your time during the off season getting strong in the gym, you will be improving your raw speed plus it will help with injury prevention for the increased demands you will put on yourself in training for a 55 400m

Last year a clubmate who is a 46 sec 400m runner stressed the importance of lifting over the winter and to get as strong as you can before racing season, so I followed his advice.
    I do believe that if you get strong you will definitely have the potential to run a faster 100m like a low 12 next season but it will only happen with the proper track coaching.
    I know you like your club and it will be a hard decision to make but as you mentioned yourself, finding a proper sprint group and coach may be the way to approach next season. I suppose it will really depend on how much you want to run a 55 400m !

Lot of good stuff in there, thanks. Yeh it is a hard decision, but I really can't leave a club. It is a d1ckhead thing to do. Complete betrayal of people who have been very good to me over the last 15 months. When I arrived in Melbourne I had no particular focus. I knew I wanted to run track and try out the sprints, but also had the idea of maybe trying for the sub 5 minute mile. I didn't really know what I was looking for except that I knew I wanted a club that was inclusive and where I wouldn't be the slowest there. I found that in Richmond. It was the first club that I came in contact with and just went with it. After that the 400m just sort of found me, and now I am probably not in the best club for that event. We are very much a middle distance club. Sure I'm ranked 5th in the entire club this year over 400m, and only 0.04 behind 4th place. So there's not the level of sprinters in my club as there would be in Melbourne Uni for example, who have a proper sprinting group. Even if the guys were too fast for me for starters, they have some useful women, including the state champion who ran 55.3, who would be close to my level. However I inquired about training with them and was told I can only train with them if I run with them so that ends that. I just have to do some more research. There's ways around this. A conversation with one of the coaches at my club is a must and I'll communicate exactly what I need next year in terms of advice and coaching.

Quick update. Core session yesterday, 12 minute run today. Nothing exciting. I'm enjoying the break. I didnt run the tuesday evening masters meet this tuesday as there was a 400m on the programme and I dont want to run a 400m when I am not training hard. This coming Tuesday we have a 60m though, which is something that is appealing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Dont think 60m would suit your style at all judging by the youtube videos as you seem to have a poor pick up but what have you got to lose.

If we have time, i'll show you the plyometric exercises when you're over for the olympics. There's a track 400m from my house. No need to ease off totally on the training while your over. Pretty much every holiday i've had has involved running for 5+ days a week :rolleyes:

Dont think 60m would suit your style at all judging by the youtube videos as you seem to have a poor pick up but what have you got to lose.

If we have time, i'll show you the plyometric exercises when you're over for the olympics. There's a track 400m from my house. No need to ease off totally on the training while your over. Pretty much every holiday i've had has involved running for 5+ days a week :rolleyes:

60m wouldnt be a strong event for me, but these tuesday night meets are just a bit of craic. The standard was awful last time and I won easily. Just using them to keep fit, and have never run a 60 before so theres that novalty factor about it.

Ah by then, I will be in the middle of pre-season training, and touch wood, will have found an ideal setup and will have already been shown the proper drills and all that. I won't easy up when I'm home. I wont be working and will have acres of free time. The big concern is the lack of tracks in any way near my house now that the muffinheads in UCD had demolished a perfectly fine track.

Think I need new footwear aswell. A new pair of flats, and maybe some middle distance spikes. A fair few people recommending middle distance spikes instead of sprint spikes. What's your take on that? Also 5mm or 7mm spikes?

Back to what I enjoy most this evening, running fast over very short distances :). Went out to my local Oval and did about 8-9 short sharp sprints over distances ranging from around 30m to 50m. Just to keep the speed ticking over. :) Looking forward to this 60m race on Tuesday actually. Something a bit different. Such a crazy short distance to race. I'd love to do one indoor, but alas no indoor athletics tracks in all of Australia, not that there is much need for one. Almost April and still hitting the high 20's. :D

10x40m hill bursts this afternoon, with about 45secs to 1 minute break between each rep. Pushed pretty hard today.

One of the girls in my club is leaving to go back to NZ next week so is having a going away 60 minute run followed by lunch tomorrow. I had considered the run but have thought better of it. Not only would it be of little benefit to me and my goals, it has also been almost 2 years since I have run for 60 minutes non stop. The Rotterdam Marathon would have been the last time. I'd probably die. :) So will just join after for lunch and a beer.

• Advertisement

This evening I took part in another one of the weekly masters track meets at the track in Collingwood. 3 events were on the menu for me this evening: 60m, 1200m and 200m:

60m:

I was drawn in the strongest heat. There were 5 of us in the race I think. I've been doing a few things with my block starts as I didn't do nearly enough work on it last year. Still not confident and comfortable with the technique one of the guys showed me a few weeks ago, but it will come with practice. Not something I need to concern myself with too much at this time of the year.

I got out a little sluggish, which in a race so short makes things difficult. However I picked it up well and was ahead of my nearest challenger early on and pulled away easily to win with a time of 8.20 seconds hand timed (the average of 3 hand times). I won by 0.65 seconds, a larger gap than what I beat the same guy by in the 110m two weeks ago, so I was happy that I got away from him a lot easier this time. Poor quality race in terms of competition but that's what I expected.

1200m:

Decided I'd do this as a training run. Wouldn't run it flat out but rather run comfortable the first 2 laps and then up it on the final 400m. There was about 15 of us in the race, a pretty big field. Within about 200m a large gap had already appeared between the top 5 and the rest of the field. I sat comfortable in 5th place. The top 2 gradually pulled away and we never got close to them. One of our coaches was in 3rd place pacing the guy in 4th place along. I didnt let the 2 of them get too far away from me. The gap got to 10m, and then it didnt grow. I kept running easy and coming to the bell the gap was the same and the guy in front of me looked to be tiring a bit so I decided to up it. Went past the 2 of them with 350m to go and darted away. The coach would kick my ass in a middle distance event if we were both going flat out, but while I was going easy, he was only running to pace one lad so he had no incentive to try chase me down. I finished 3rd in 4:27, about 4 seconds ahead of 4th and 5th. Sub 6 minute a mile pace. A decent run out.

200m:

I felt a little lacking in energy after the 1200m even though it wasnt run very hard. I again was in the fastest heat and grabbed lane 2. I've never run on one of the inside lanes so it was good practice. The guy I beat in the 60m was in lane 3. I didnt see any of the rest of the field after the first 20m as I darted past them. However it took me until about 80m to go before I went past this fella, which I was disappointed with. Wasn't quite the zip in the legs early on, but finished ok to beat him by 1.2 seconds in the end. My time was 27.83 hand timed (average of 3 hand times). Pretty ordinary to be honest, pretty much a second off my best and slower than every 200m I ran during the main season. Not concerned though. This isn't the time of year to run fast. Pretty hard to run well when virtually on a break. The 1200m wouldnt have helped either.

Perfect conditions tonight, absolutely no wind. Enjoyable evening. A real community feel to the whole thing.

Talking to the sprint/middle distance coach at my club the other day and he said pre-season will start back some time in May so I'd like to get in with the training group for that. He also introduced me to the gym expert. He said that he'd sort me out with a gym programme to strengthen the muscles in my legs. Come pre-season I'd be looking at (all going to plan) 2 gym sessions, 2 running sessions with the club (speed endurance and hills) and then I guess a jog by myself another day, along with 2 days rest each week. Free access to my club gym, though the location is a boll0x. However the price of gym memberships isn't cheap so I'll probably suck up the extra travel time and use my club gym.

So that's the good news. The bad news is I have a bit of a niggle to the right of my right heel. It has lingered for the last 2 months or so, and I haven't mentioned it here because it hasn't impacted on my running whatsoever. I do not feel it at all when sprinting, running or whatever. It is only when I stand on my right heel only and put pressure on it do I feel the discomfort. When I stand on my left heel there is no such discomfort, so there is clearly something going on there, albeit clearly very minor as it hasn't gotten in the way of me running several PBs. I just want to get rid of whatever it is as I'll be putting my body through severe training next season and I'll like to start with a clean, fresh body, with all niggles gone. However I don't want to spend a fortune on medical bills over something that feels only very minor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

04072511 wrote: »
    Talking to the sprint/middle distance coach at my club the other day and he said pre-season will start back some time in May so I'd like to get in with the training group for that. He also introduced me to the gym expert. He said that he'd sort me out with a gym programme to strengthen the muscles in my legs. Come pre-season I'd be looking at (all going to plan) 2 gym sessions, 2 running sessions with the club (speed endurance and hills) and then I guess a jog by myself another day, along with 2 days rest each week. Free access to my club gym, though the location is a boll0x. However the price of gym memberships isn't cheap so I'll probably suck up the extra travel time and use my club gym.

So that's the good news. The bad news is I have a bit of a niggle to the right of my right heel. It has lingered for the last 2 months or so, and I haven't mentioned it here because it hasn't impacted on my running whatsoever. I do not feel it at all when sprinting, running or whatever. It is only when I stand on my right heel only and put pressure on it do I feel the discomfort. When I stand on my left heel there is no such discomfort, so there is clearly something going on there, albeit clearly very minor as it hasn't gotten in the way of me running several PBs. I just want to get rid of whatever it is as I'll be putting my body through severe training next season and I'll like to start with a clean, fresh body, with all niggles gone. However I don't want to spend a fortune on medical bills over something that feels only very minor.

Thats good news about the gym and coach. Looks like a good training plan. Will you take a couple weeks rest before pre season to sort out any problems?

Thats good news about the gym and coach. Looks like a good training plan. Will you take a couple weeks rest before pre season to sort out any problems?

Yeh maybe I should ease it back a bit. Haven't done any running for the last 4 days since my races on tuesday. My friend who is a physical therapist back home gave me an online diagnosis (which obviously has to be taken with a garin of salt). He says it sounds like Achilles (retrocalcaneal) bursitis, so I need to do some strecthing of the soleus muscle, take some anti-inflamotories and also try icing it. So I've started doing all that today. Will try get some swims in over the next few days and leave the running for a small bit. No better time than now to miss out on some running.

Here's a pretty decent video of Day 1 of the State Decathlon back in February. Day 2 video to come soon I believe. I feature a bit at the start of this video:

Really nice video of Day 2 of the State Decath, in particular the very end which showed the great camaraderie among the athletes. One of the highlights of the year:

• Advertisement

Did a bit of a swim today. Nothing too hectic. About 500m in total I reckon. Will push harder and longer the next day.

Well the track season may have finished for many people at the start of February with the conclusion of the AV Shield, finished for myself early to mid March at the State Championships, but the 2011/12 Australian track and field season came to it's conclusion this weekend with the Australian National Championships. I didn't make the first 2 days but managed to get out this afternoon to enjoy some top athletics in 26 degree Autumn weather.

The highlight was Joanne Cuddihy who looked super impressve in destroying the field by 1.5 seconds to win the 400m in 51.69 seconds, just off the 51.55 Olympic A-Standard. It won't be long before she will be officially qualified for London, but I genuinely think she is capable of challenging for a place in the final in London if things go her way. Her sister Catriona finished 8th with a PB of 55.03.

No Sally Pearson or Mitchell Watt here which was disappointing. Some of the events were of a slightly disappointing standard. Jeff Riseley finished very strong to win the 1500m, but I found both 1500m races to be very boring. Basically 12 athletes looking at each other for 1100m and then a 400m sprint. I'm an avid fan of the sport and even I find that dull. I can't see how that can be sold to the unconverted. The sport needs people like Paula Radcliffe who are willing to give it a go from far out.

Just one Richmond athlete at the nationals, our middle distance girl who came 16th in the 1500m in 4:37, missing out on a place in the final by less than 3 seconds.

Feels weird that it is all over now until September/October. It has been a long and exciting season, but now the focus turns to Europe for the very elite, to the cross-country/ road racing season down here for the semi-elite distance runners, and for myself, well I am currently enjoying a bit of a break, with pre-season due to begin some time in May.

Will post up the final end of season Richmond rankings when I get hold of them.

I really do love a good set of stats. I'm a geek when it comes to analysing sporting data and numbers. :p So I thought I'd put together a ranking list of all my performances during the 2011/12 track season, from the Magpie Multis Decathlon in Septembers, to the relative highs of the State Championships in March. The list is compiled based on points from the 2011 IAAF Scoring Tables, and hand times for 100 and 200 are penalised by 0.24 seconds, while 400m hand times by 0.14 seconds.

1) 400m - 58.68 - 452
    2) 400m - 59.18 - 432
    3) 400m - 59.44 - 422
    4) 400m - 59.86 - 406
    5) 400m - 59.96 - 402
    5) 100m - 12.96 - 402
    7) 400m - 60.35 - 387
    8) 200m - 26.92 - 373
    8) Long Jump 4.32m - 373
    10) 400m - 60.90 - 367
    11) Long Jump 4.25m - 359
    12) Long Jump 4.24m - 357
    13) 200m - 27.13 - 355
    14) Long Jump 4.22m - 353
    15) Long Jump 4.20m - 349
    16) Triple Jump 9.28m - 344
    17) Triple Jump 9.18m - 334
    18) 400m - 61.8h (61.94) - 330
    19) 100m - 13.36 - 326
    20) Long Jump 4.08m - 326
    21) Shot Putt - 6.51m - 323
    22) Triple Jump 8.97m - 313
    23) 200m - 27.5h (27.74) - 305
    24) 200m - 27.6h (27.84) - 298
    25) 100m - 13.4h (13.64) - 278
    25) 100m - 13.4h (13.64) - 278
    27) Decathlon - 2290 Pts - 267
    28) 800m - 2:27.6 - 248
    29) 800m - 2:27.9 - 244
    30) 100m - 13.86 - 242
    31) High Jump - 1.25m - 229
    32) Shot Putt - 4.89m - 229
    33) Discus - 14.17m - 226
    34) Discus - 13.59m - 216
    35) 800m - 2:31.1 - 203
    36) 100m - 14.35 - 172
    37) Decathlon 1494 Pts - 155
    38) High Jump - 1.15m - 143
    39) 1500m - 5:27.98 - 132
    40) Javelin - 10.83m - 127
    41) Javelin - 10.22m - 119
    42) 1500m - 5:42.0 - 75

It must be noted that my slower 1500m was slightly more than a jog when coming back from injury as an endurance workout, and my faster 1500m was at the end of a decathlon. The Javelin is truly my worst event!

An update on my right heel. Spent a week taking anti-inflamotories, and iced the heel on average once a day also. Strected the soleus muscle regularly, and it has gotten better. But it hasn't completely gone. Bit of a mystery as to what it is but it aint serious. I just want to iron out all niggles before pre-season. Want to have no baggage starting off.

Have done nothing for the last 2 weeks or so. Have enjoyed a bit of a break. But went for a swim today. Did 40 lenths of the 30m pool, 1200m in total, including warm up and warm down. Pushed myself very hard on some of the lengths. Didnt do anything longer than 4 lengths without stopping, so I had some recovery time in between sets. Did mainly front crawl and breast stroke, but also a small bit of a back stroke and one length of butterfly. To break up the monotony I did some hybrid strokes aswell for fun. Breastroke arms with front crawl kick, which was very slow, and then Front Crawl arms, and breast stroke kick, which was very fast. Just goes to show where all the power comes from in those 2 strokes.

The last few days, the hunger is coming back, and I'm gunning to get into winter pre-season training, but I'll control that eagerness. It's a bit early yet to start pre-season when Nationals were only last week.

With some masters 3000m yesterday being the last of all track meets in Victoria this season, our club ranking list has been closed off and the following is where I ranked in each event during the 2011/12 track season:

100m: 12.96 - 3rd of 18
    200m: 26.92 - 4th of 17
    400m: 58.68 - 5th of 24
    800m: 2:27.6 - 13th of 27
    1500m: 5:27.98 - 17th of 26
    High Jump: 1.25m - 6th of 8
    Long Jump: 4.32m - 7th of 14
    Triple Jump: 9.28m - 4th of 12
    Discus (2kg): 14.17m - 6th of 7
    Javelin (800g): 10.83m - 9th of 10
    Shot Putt (7.26kg): 6.51m - 3rd of 7
    Decathlon: 2290 pts - 3rd of 3

I've attached our final season end rankings.

After lots of failed home remedies trying to help get rid of this niggle in my heel, and lots of internet research that has left me more confused than before, I have finally given in and booked an appointment with a sports podiatrist. I think I may have a bruised heel but it really is hard to know. It's not sore enough to be a stress fracture or heel spur. It's not in the proper part of the heel for it to be PF. At first I though it was Calcaneal Bursitis but don't think so now as the soreness is lower down at the back of the heel.

The cost of the appointment is $98, enough to make you just want to cry, and who knows how many times he will have me back, but at least I can claim it all (bar the first 45 euro) back off the VHI. It's just a pain in the ass process. It's such a minor thing but it is lingering and it is annoying me and messing with my head. Will report back afterwards with the findings.

So I went to the podiatrist today about my niggling heel. Turns out it has nothing to do with my sprinting, but rather my work/going out shoes that I wear a lot. I bought them back in January, which is not long before I noticed this niggle (It all seems so obvious in hindsight :rolleyes:) My right foot lands a bit differently to my left when walking and so needs more support. He put in some support into the shoe and some orthotic type device to correct the position of my foot when I walk (unsure of all the proper terminology). He said that even if that doesn't work, to not worry about it as it will not effect my running. :D

Some great photos of the State Decathlon which have appeared out of the woodwork recently.

202544.jpg

202546.jpg

202547.jpg

202548.jpg

Even though my 58.68 was my performance of the season, the State Decathlon was the highlight of the season in terms of pure enjoyment and nostalgia that it already brings. Who knows, maybe in the future, a few years from now, I may train specifically for one of these, but the reality is that I have too many sh1te events, and struggle badly on Day 2. In terms of fun though, the event is second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Some great photos of the State Decathlon which have appeared out of the woodwork recently.

202546.jpg

Even though my 58.68 was my performance of the season, the State Decathlon was the highlight of the season in terms of pure enjoyment and nostalgia that it already brings. Who knows, maybe in the future, a few years from now, I may train specifically for one of these, but the reality is that I have too many sh1te events, and struggle badly on Day 2. In terms of fun though, the event is second to none.

I think I like above picture the best for some reason....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looks more like an Aussie rules starting-line! They make 'em big in Australia.
    Spot the token hairy Irish guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Dedicated decathletes usually are big dudes.

Dedicated decathletes usually are big dudes.

Yep, that certainly is true. It's a very power and strength based event. 9 of the 10 events fall into this category. A few of us really do look a bit out of place amongst the big guns, but it was all a bit of fun, and there was normally one event somewhere where you could perhaps take the scalp of a better athlete. For example one guy who finished towards the rear of the field, finished 3rd out of everybody in the 1500m.

The hurdles is the one which seperates the men from the boys. This is not top quality hurdling :):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yep, that certainly is true. It's a very power and strength based event. 9 of the 10 events fall into this category. A few of us really do look a bit out of place amongst the big guns, but it was all a bit of fun, and there was normally one event somewhere where you could perhaps take the scalp of a better athlete. For example one guy who finished towards the rear of the field, finished 3rd out of everybody in the 1500m.

The hurdles is the one which seperates the men from the boys. This is not top quality hurdling :):

The lad who came last seems to be really happy :).

shels4ever wrote: »
    The lad who came last seems to be really happy :).

Ha, yeh that's one of the guys at my club. The jack of all trades. Excluding the race walk, there is not a single event ranging from 100m to Marathon that he hasn't done, including all the field events. He's in his late 40s so wasn't sure that he could clear the full height high hurdles, so the joy at the end of the race was akin to somebody crossing the finish line of their first marathon.

Kind of puts me to shame a bit for chickening out of it!!

Was talking to my coach today and he said that the pre-season running sessions (hills, tempo-endurance) will begin in about 3 weeks time, towards the end of May. He's hoping that our gym expert will be back on Monday so that that aspect of pre-season can kick off. So it looks like Monday will be my first day back training for the new season. :) The plan will be 2 days of around 30 minutes each in the gym to start with. Then once the running sessions start I'll build up to 5 days a week.

2 days gym
    1 day tempo endurance session
    1 day hill session
    1 day "long run" at weekend (anything from 2-5km I guess).

Starting to get excited about the pre-season now. The break has done me good, and the itchiness to get back out there is well and truly coming back :)

Adding to the above, I've changed slightly the title of this log. I feel it is time to remove the "Sub 60 400m" part and replace it with something more appropriate. After a few months of bringing my time down from 64.04 to 60.35, in the second half of the season I broke the sub 60 barrier on 5 occasions (59.44, 59.96, 59.86, 59.18 and 58.68). The goal of course is to keep bringing that time down and down, and hopefully by the end of the season be in the 55 second range. It won't be easy, and the faster you get, the harder it becomes to shave off those seconds, but that's the medium term goal anyway. But each time you set a PB you have to be happy so, everytime I go out there that's what I will be gunning for. Gradual improvement throughout the season hopefully (which may be just a half a season for me if I dont get sponsored to stay in Australia after my visa expires in late December, so I'll want to hit the ground running this coming season).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

2 days gym
    1 day tempo endurance session
    1 day hill session
    1 day "long run" at weekend (anything from 2-5km I guess).

Looks like a very good layout for pre season 400m sprint work will definitely stand to you

After I reached my peak on March 9th when I ran 58.68, I wound down for about 3 weeks or so, running some low key meets. For the last 5 weeks now I have been in total rest mode and haven't done any training (barring the odd swim) during that time. My body feels rested and raring to go again.

So tomorrow evening I will begin my winter training, with a short 30 minute session in the gym. I'm a complete novice with regards gym-work, so I will just do what I am told. It will probably take quite some time to build myself up, but baby steps. Come the end of the month I should be in full winter training, with 2 days gym, 1 day tempo-endurance, 1 day hills, and 1 day long run (sprinter style!), but for the next few weeks it will be mainly just gym, and very light and easy until I get used to it all.

Will report back tomorrow on my first gym session in donkeys years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

living up to your username there id say....lol

after spending time downunder there is defo a difference in appearence/attidude between aussie guys and irish guys...a bit generalised with that statement but there is something to it for sure.

there is a hint of a paddy on the far right too though.

Advertisement