Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Some DOMS in my right glute after yesterday's new gym routine, but after warming up properly it was not an issue. Warm up consisted of 800m jog, drills and strides

This evenings session was a very tough one. A pyramid session of 100-150-200-250-200-150-100, all with just a slow walk back break between each rep. I feared I would not make it through the full session, given how little track work I have done over the last 3-4 weeks, but thought I'd see how far I could go.

Didnt get a time for the 100m but was about 3-4 metres back on one of the faster guys, but you could tell they were just stretching their legs for this one. The 150m was around 21 seconds which was satisfactory, although the gap back from the same guy was much greater as far as I can remember. The 200m was 30 seconds with a relatively similar gap back from the same guy. However after that I started getting closer. The 250m was completed in 37 seconds, and I was just maybe 5-6 metres down on him. The next 200m was 30 seconds again and a similar gap. On the next 150m I was flying and was about 5 metres back and felt that I was finishing strong, when I felt a calf strain coming on in my left calf, so I immediately stepped off the track as a precaution with about 40m to go. Skipped the final 100m as a result.

So my times were: ?-21-30-37-30-DNF-DNS

A little disappointed not to finish the session, but overall pretty happy as it was a very tough session on an absolutely miserably cold, wet and windy night, albeit we did have a tail wind on the home straight. From previous experience my calf should be fine for the next day. Just a light twinge. No point risking running through that though.

I had hoped that I could get in a proper 5 day week this week for a change but alas DOMS has prevented this. I've had difficulty getting 5 day weeks in as after my Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs my body quite often is too stiff at the weekend to get a 5th session in. This is obviously because of new sessions or routines being introduced that my muscles have not grown accustomed to yet. In this case I'm not sure whether my DOMS are caused by my new gym routine, or the fact I did my first tough track session in ages, or a combination of both.

Once the season gets close I'll want to have a solid routine week in, week out, and not be introducing new types of track sessions and new gym routines into my training, because no way do I want to be full of DOMS on a Saturday race day. It may get to the stage that if the session the club is doing on a Thursday evening before race day is something which may mess my body up for the race 2 days later then I'd be willing to skip it and do my own session. You obviously want to train hard, but also be right for race day.

Anyway, I'm hoping that after 3-4 weeks of very similar training from Mon-Thurs there will be no such thing as "Saturday DOMS" anymore.

Made a few changes today to my weight based exercises. My technique for the bench press is utterly appalling . My hand bends back a lot when lifting, so I asked for some advice today. I've now reduced the weight from 86lbs to 65lbs in order to focus on technique as I dont want to risk doing damage to my wrists. I then decided to reduce the weight of the circuit upper body from 45lbs to 35lbs for the same reason.

Overall I did the full routine twice, and then Squats, Bench Press, Crunches, Body Twists and Chin-ups for a 3rd time.

One other piece of info to note. I was incorrect with my measurement for my dunbells for my lunges. I'm actually carrying 11lbs (5kg) in each hand, not the 5.5lbs in each hand that I had first thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Made a few changes today to my weight based exercises. My technique for the bench press is utterly appalling . My hand bends back a lot when lifting, so I asked for some advice today. I've now reduced the weight from 86lbs to 65lbs in order to focus on technique as I dont want to risk doing damage to my wrists. I then decided to reduce the weight of the circuit upper body from 45lbs to 35lbs for the same reason.

Overall I did the full routine twice, and then Squats, Bench Press, Crunches, Body Twists and Chin-ups for a 3rd time.

One other piece of info to note. I was incorrect with my measurement for my dunbells for my lunges. I'm actually carrying 11lbs (5kg) in each hand, not the 5.5lbs in each hand that I had first thought.

Do you ever use dumbells for bench press?, more beneficial I think.

RandyMann wrote: »
    Do you ever use dumbells for bench press?, more beneficial I think.

Interesting. So bench pressing without the bar?

• Advertisement

Interesting. So bench pressing without the bar?

Yes, thats what I have been doing for quite a while. It also prevents imbalances as it gets your left and right side working independently rather than one side doing more work than the other to compensate yor weaker side with a barbell.

First hill session back with my group on our usual hill this evening. 8x150m with 3-4 mins walk back rest (about 6-7 mins rest between reps 4 and 5). There were only 3 of us there today, and for 2 of the reps just 2 of us. One of the guys is a 50.1 400m runner and I was about 5 seconds behind him on each rep. My times were:

29-30-31-31-31-32-33-31

Pretty happy with the times, especially the strong finish. Been awhile since I've done a hill session as intensive as this so wasn't sure if I would get through it all, so pleased with that. Was happy with the times which averaged at 31 per rep, until I looked at my times from an exact same session back in early June and seen that I wasn't a huge amount faster than I was back then which is a bit disappointing. These were my times then:

30-29-30-32-32-34-34-31

Around half a second faster on average per rep now than I was then. Not a huge amount.

I just have to keep the faith in the work I'm doing that it will lead to results.

My body is going to really feel sore tomorrow. It's already feeling stiff and it's only been a few hours. Have booked myself in for a sports massage before my gym session tomorrow.

Had a massage at the club before my gym session. First one I've had since starting winter training 4 months ago and what a mistake that was I have now realised. It was painful at times. He told me my right hamstring is not very happy with me. He said given the training I am doing I should be getting a massage every 1 or 2 weeks. He said that I'm not at the level yet where I can completely destroy my hamstring but I am at the stage where I can annoy it and that's what I've done. He told me to get these massages regularly, and to strengthen the hamstring (thought thats what I was doing in the gym!!). So I talked to our gym expert who has suggested adding in some goodmornings to strengthen the hamstrings. So I did a few of them before my session. Doing them free at the moment and will build up to using weight on my shoulders.

Did my full gym session 3 times which I was happy with.

Can't believe now looking back that during 4 months of quite intensive training I didnt even think to go for a massage. Shocking really. Learn from my mistakes I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not sure what the cost of a massage is like in Oz, but over here, you could expect to pay €50-€70/hour, which would add up pretty quickly with 1-2 week visits. Might be worth investing in a foam roller (or they might have one already in the gym) which might help reduce the frequency of the visits.

Not sure what the cost of a massage is like in Oz, but over here, you could expect to pay €50-€70/hour, which would add up pretty quickly with 1-2 week visits. Might be worth investing in a foam roller (or they might have one already in the gym) which might help reduce the frequency of the visits.

One of the coaches in the club (distance coach) gives massages every day in our clubhouse for $20. He's qualified to give them I know that (but what his actual qualification is I dont know).

• Advertisement

Ugh, another track session cut short by a twinge in the left calf. Second week in a row now!

6x160m today with 5 minute breaks between each. First rep a bit slow but got nicely into it then and felt like I was running well and getting closer to the others. 23, 22 and 22. Then on the 4th rep I felt like I was flying and was getting very close to one or two and then with about 10 metres to go I felt that twinge in the calf and I immediately slowed to a jog/hobble over the line. Funny thing was that despite having to slow down I still ran it in 23 seconds.

Very frustrating this. I wasn't in the least bit tired aerobically. Usually I feel like death at this stage of a session but I felt great, as if I could go on for another 4. Extremely annoying not being able to finish sessions.

Off to research extra ways to strengthen the calves. If it's not one thing it's something else! :mad:

After Thursday's calf incident I scrapped all plans to do a session at the weekend and took 3 days off. Back today for a gym session and to shake things up a bit I decided that instead of doing my routine of 10 exercises 3 times I would do a routine of 14 exercises twice.

So I brought back in the step-ups and stomach ball crunches, and made the following changes:

1) Goodmornings 3x5 free [NEW]
    2) Heel rises x 10 w/ 11lbs dunbells [NEW]
    3) Box squats w/ 25lbs, up to 2x10 from 2x8
    4) Lunges w/ 11lbs dunbells, up to 20 from 15
    5) Medicine Ball body twists x 20, using 4kg ball, up from 3kg

The Bench Press was the only exercise out of the 14 which I did for a 3rd time.

Back to my favourite 4x250m hills off 5 minutes recovery.

Just 3 of us were running the full 250m today. Our top lad was well clear, but the second lad was only 3-4 seconds ahead of me for the first 3 reps (could have been 5 seconds for the 2nd rep, and 2 seconds for the 3rd rep). He was stuffed after the 3rd and called it quits then. I marched on and got the last one done, but was absolutely in bits at the end of it. Reasonably close to vomitting. Definitely the tiredest I have been at the end of a session, and that's saying something.

My times were:

48-49-52-51

Gave it everything on that last rep. Wanted a 50 to close but I tensed up a bit towards the end and didnt keep relaxed.

This is the 4th time I have done this session and the 3 previous performances were:

51-51-54-55 = 211
    49-51-51-49 = 200
    49-51-53-50 = 203

And now

48-49-52-51 = 200

Maybe went out a bit too fast on the first 2 but overall I have to be happy with that. Furthermore, the lad ahead of me for the first 3 reps is in excellent shape right now. The coaches have been harping on that this is the first time they have seen him really properly fit. The coach today said to him that he wants to see him running 53 this season. The funny thing is that, while his natural speed is comfortably better than mine, I have better endurance. He doesn't stretch away from me after around 150m of the 250m reps and he struggles to finish the session. With this in mind I can be quite confident that I can put in some good performances over 400m this season. Whether it will be 55, well only time will tell.

Had my weekly massage today, and thankfully, it was not as sore as it was last week, so that's a positive. Incredibly stupid that I overlooked this important element of my training until last week, but am on the road to sorting out the muscle tightness now.

For my gym session afterwards I did all 14 exercises twice again today, and then the bench press for a 3rd time. The changes from the last day were:

1) Goodmornings - Using the bar now (15lbs I think), while before I was doing them free
    2) Bench Press - 70lbs up from 65lbs
    3) Crunches - 35 up from 30

Just seen that AV have published the Track and Field calender for 12/13. The full schedule for the 7 month long track season is ready for all to view, a month in advance of the start. It's well presented, super easy to follow, and allows every person to plan their track season from now all the way until the Championships in the Autumn.

http://www.athsvic.org.au/cache/NewsFile/6496AV%20Summer%20Calendar%203.09.2012.pdf

Now is that something particularly difficult to produce? No. Yet the numbskulls in the AAI can't manage something like this. A few months ago I emailed the competitions manager (will leave the name out but everyone knows who it is) asking for a 400m race and she replied stating that the AAI do not keep a calender of track races. Is it really that difficult to get all the main track events (championships, graded meets, county championships) onto one easy to follow adobe file like AV have!?

Rant over.

Back to the track this evening for the same session as last week: 6x160m with 5 minute recovery. After the last 2 weeks with my calf causing me hassle I have to say I was paranoid running this evening's session, worried that the same thing would happen. As a result I didn't fully run 100% all out for the first 4 reps. Though maybe that was a good thing as it helped me stay relaxed rather than push hard. The last 2 reps I pushed harder. I messed up the timing of the 5th rep which is annoying as it definitely felt like my best rep and was the only one in which I got very close to one of the guys ahead of me. My times were:

23(dead) - 22(high) - 23(low) - 23(dead) - ? - 22(high)

What were the chances of getting 23.00 twice!!! Anyway a good average would be 22 high, which is slower than my average the first time I did this session a couple of months back, but in this instance I timed myself, while the other time I was relying on times by the coach which to be honest could have been a bit off.

I didn't feel very tired after so I guess I didn't go hard enough, but to be honest I dont find sessions with the short reps as tiring as something like 3x300. The main thing is that I got through the session, so I can write off the last 2 week's disappointments. Now that I have got through this evening unscathed I can go ahead with a session on Saturday. I'm thinking 2x350m with 5 minute rest, but I'm not certain yet. The session will be done on my own. The rest of the group are doing 60's on Saturday morning but I feel like I need to get some longer reps in. This season is all about the 400m after all, not the 100m and 200m.

Back to the track this evening for the same session as last week: 6x160m with 5 minute recovery. After the last 2 weeks with my calf causing me hassle I have to say I was paranoid running this evening's session, worried that the same thing would happen. As a result I didn't fully run 100% all out for the first 4 reps. Though maybe that was a good thing as it helped me stay relaxed rather than push hard. The last 2 reps I pushed harder. I messed up the timing of the 5th rep which is annoying as it definitely felt like my best rep and was the only one in which I got very close to one of the guys ahead of me. My times were:

23(dead) - 22(high) - 23(low) - 23(dead) - ? - 22(high)

What were the chances of getting 23.00 twice!!! Anyway a good average would be 22 high, which is slower than my average the first time I did this session a couple of months back, but in this instance I timed myself, while the other time I was relying on times by the coach which to be honest could have been a bit off.

I didn't feel very tired after so I guess I didn't go hard enough, but to be honest I dont find sessions with the short reps as tiring as something like 3x300. The main thing is that I got through the session, so I can write off the last 2 week's disappointments. Now that I have got through this evening unscathed I can go ahead with a session on Saturday. I'm thinking 2x350m with 5 minute rest, but I'm not certain yet. The session will be done on my own. The rest of the group are doing 60's on Saturday morning but I feel like I need to get some longer reps in. This season is all about the 400m after all, not the 100m and 200m.

But a good 100/200 will benefit your 400. Do the 60s ;)

But a good 100/200 will benefit your 400. Do the 60s ;)

I haven't done nearly enough 300 reps. Everything the club has done recently has been shorter reps. I'm feeling a bit anxious about my lack of longer reps, as last year that was the bulk of my training, so I need to sort that out.

I haven't done nearly enough 300 reps. Everything the club has done recently has been shorter reps. I'm feeling a bit anxious about my lack of longer reps, as last year that was the bulk of my training, so I need to sort that out.

When was the last time you did 60s?

When was the last time you did 60s?

I did a set of 60s probably about 7 weeks ago. But for my Thursday track sessions everything of late has been 160s or pyramid sessions that go no further than 250m. Even on the hills, this Tuesday was the first session with longer reps in ages. I feel I need to get more longer reps in as they are key to being strong in the last 100m of a 400m.

I will do 60s over the coming weeks some Saturday, but only when the coach gives us longer reps on a Thursday. I want to keep a balance between longer and shorter stuff, and right now there isn't enough longer stuff, which is worrying me.

I did a set of 60s probably about 7 weeks ago. But for my Thursday track sessions everything of late has been 160s or pyramid sessions that go no further than 250m. Even on the hills, this Tuesday was the first session with longer reps in ages. I feel I need to get more longer reps in as they are key to being strong in the last 100m of a 400m.

I will do 60s over the coming weeks some Saturday, but only when the coach gives us longer reps on a Thursday. I want to keep a balance between longer and shorter stuff, and right now there isn't enough longer stuff, which is worrying me.

Oh I forgot, I also did a 2x40, 2x60 and 2x80 session with DSD when I was back.

• Advertisement

Oh I forgot, I also did a 2x40, 2x60 and 2x80 session with DSD when I was back.

Your speed endurance would be fine IMO but you probably have only a 27 flat 200 in you still. I really do think you need to be getting your 100 down to 12.7ish and your 200 down to high 25 to have a chance of hitting a high 55 at end of season.
    I am not saying to stop your long interval sessions but incorporate a short interval session at 100% effort once a week.
    I believe that if you can hit those 100/200 times the 55 400 will be automatic with some speed endurance work. You seem to favour the long interval stuff over the short interval work at close to 100% I know you think the raw 100 speed is purely natural but I honestly think if you put more work into it, your time will certainly come down.
    To add something, I would take the same approach to your lifting, heavier and less reps.

Your speed endurance would be fine IMO but you probably have only a 27 flat 200 in you still. I really do think you need to be getting your 100 down to 12.7ish and your 200 down to high 25 to have a chance of hitting a high 55 at end of season.
    I am not saying to stop your long interval sessions but incorporate a short interval session at 100% effort once a week.
    I believe that if you can hit those 100/200 times the 55 400 will be automatic with some speed endurance work. You seem to favour the long interval stuff over the short interval work at close to 100% I know you think the raw 100 speed is purely natural but I honestly think if you put more work into it, your time will certainly come down.

You're right. The short stuff is important. I just want to keep a balance between short and long. Right now everything seems to be short. Ideally if my body will allow me I'd like to get 2 track sessions a week done (that will become 3 when we stop the hills, but back down to 2 when racing starts), so one session longer and one session shorter would probably be the best way to go for 400m.

You're right. The short stuff is important. I just want to keep a balance between short and long. Right now everything seems to be short. Ideally if my body will allow me I'd like to get 2 track sessions a week done (that will become 3 when we stop the hills, but back down to 2 when racing starts), so one session longer and one session shorter would probably be the best way to go for 400m.

To clarify, when I mean short, I mean intervals for 100/200 like 30s 60s 120s

To clarify, when I mean short, I mean intervals for 100/200 like 30s 60s 120s

Ah rite. See I see anything under 200 as short haha :)

Well maybe next Saturday I'll get some 60s done (I have a beer mile later that day also). Definitely set on getting some 300s or 350s this Saturday though. I'm not happy about how few of them I have done the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

We all want a full race report (pics too :p ) of the beer mile, should be great craic

We all want a full race report (pics too :p ) of the beer mile, should be great craic

Oh there will most definitely be a race report (that is if I make it out alive). Rumours and pub talk tells me that one Craig "the Buster" Mottram will be the official starter of the Beer Mile. :D

Down to the Melbourne Uni track (home of next Saturday's dreaded beer mile) to do a session on my own. Usual warm up with jog, stretches, drills and strides, followed by 2x300m with 5 minute recovery. Wore the racing flats as always and times were:

48(high) - 48(low)

Mildly satisfied with the times. It's been a good while since I have done 300s so it took time to find my feet. Doing them on your own doesnt lend itself to fast times and I was running into a pretty nasty headwind the first 100m which killed my momentum. However the times do tell me that I am probably currently in very close to the sort of shape I was in back in March when I peaked for the State Championships, and if there was a race next week I'd expect to go a solid 59. First race is 4 weeks away however so plenty of time to improve. However 58.68 is not a soft target for me, so may take a couple of races before I take down that PB.

In any case, this week has been my first strong 5 day week. My body has finally managed it!!! :)

Exact same session today as last Wednesday. Hills tomorrow, 8x150m.

Just 5 days out from the Parkville Beer Mile now. Should be a bit of craic, but I'm a bit petrified. Completely going into the unknown here. I reckon I'll incorporate a decent training session on Thursday evening by cracking open a few cold ones. Keep that tolerence that I built back up on my trip back to Ireland and London! :D

http://pbmilersclub.wix.com/parkvillebeermile#!home/mainPage

First hill session back with my group on our usual hill this evening. 8x150m with 3-4 mins walk back rest (about 6-7 mins rest between reps 4 and 5). There were only 3 of us there today, and for 2 of the reps just 2 of us. One of the guys is a 50.1 400m runner and I was about 5 seconds behind him on each rep. My times were:

29-30-31-31-31-32-33-31

Pretty happy with the times, especially the strong finish. Been awhile since I've done a hill session as intensive as this so wasn't sure if I would get through it all, so pleased with that. Was happy with the times which averaged at 31 per rep, until I looked at my times from an exact same session back in early June and seen that I wasn't a huge amount faster than I was back then which is a bit disappointing. These were my times then:

30-29-30-32-32-34-34-31

Around half a second faster on average per rep now than I was then. Not a huge amount.

I just have to keep the faith in the work I'm doing that it will lead to results.

My body is going to really feel sore tomorrow. It's already feeling stiff and it's only been a few hours. Have booked myself in for a sports massage before my gym session tomorrow.

I did the above session again. A huge improvement on my performance 2 weeks ago (in bold above) which I am over the mood with :)

8x150m with 3 minute walk back breaks. Times were:

29-30-30-31(very low)-30-31(very low)-29(very high)-29

That's just over a 1 second average improvement from 2 weeks ago. Also I was getting very close to some of my training group in many of these reps. And when I mean close I mean close. I found an extra gear in the last 2 reps, and on the second last rep I was just a half step down on one of the guys (our former 10.6 second guy, but probably 11.6 now, and to be fair he was having trouble with his calves).

A lot of confidence to take from that session. Speed endurance is coming together now.

• Advertisement

Same gym session as last day, with the only difference being that I'm now holding 25lbs during goodmornings, up from 15lbs.

Had my weekly massage afterwards.

Advertisement