Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just 3 of our sprint group at the track today: Myself, our 50.1 second 400 runner and our 10.6 100m runner back in his prime.

3x300m with 10 minute recovery.

My times were:

46-46-47

The 50.1 second lad was:

39-40-40

And our 100m sprinter (probably at 11.5ish these days) went:

43-43-44

So we were all fairly consistent which is very important. I was 3 seconds behind him throughout which I'm happy enough with. I was getting very close to him on Tuesday at the end of the hills so maybe I thought I would get closer, but hills and track are two different beasts. On the first rep I lost a lot of ground to him on the first 100m. On the 2nd and 3rd reps I started better but lost a lot during 100m and 200m. On all 3 reps however I finished stronger than him so at least that bit is encouraging.

Speed needs improving so I'll be doing some 60s on Saturday before the beer mile. Will probably just do 2x(4x60).

Now I got to get myself ready for this weekends big beer mile race. Off to the bottle shop to get some training in. :D

With the beer mile coming up on Saturday this evening was the perfect opportunity for a quick training session.

I've decided to go with Hahn Super Dry which is 4.6%, 330ml, 1.2 standard drinks, but crucially lower carb. It doesn't meet beer mile criteria, but I wont be setting any records so who cares.

Decided to go for 2x1 Hahn Super Dry off a 5 minute recovery between reps.

Rep 1: Started off pretty well, kept the pace consistent but needed a couple of breathers. Finished strong to come home in 38 seconds.

Rep 2: Started off pretty well, but couldn't quite get into the same rhythm and about half way through I had a mini mishap where a bit nearly went down the wrong way. Composed myself however to finish solidly to cross the line in 50 seconds.

A few minutes later it all started hitting me at once, and I am now a bit pissed to be honest from just 2 beers off no running. Saturday is going to be incredibly difficult. I think all hope of a sub 10 can go out the window now and I just want to finish, and may need to walk.

Confidence has taken a small hit but this evening's session will stand to me in the heat of battle. But 4 beers and 4 laps really sounds like a bridge too far right now.

Managed to convince a mate to do the beer mile tomorrow, so the 2 of us went out for a session at my local oval. The session was a half beer mile: 1 beer, 400m, 1 beer, 400m.

Beer 1: Not off to as smooth a start as yesterday, and had to take a few more breathers than I would have liked. But the fast twitch fibres kicked in and despite the few breaks still cruised home in 39 seconds.

Run 1: First 100m was a slow jog where the emphasis was on burping out the gas. Very important for a beer mile as you dont want to keep that in your system. I ran comefortable throughout, barely breaking a sweat to be honest. In a race like this which is so alien to me you have to pace yourself. No time for this rep.

Beer 2: Small bit of heavy breathing from the run which made the 2nd beer rep trickier. Went off solidly but hit a few stumbling blocks over the first half as could only manage one mouthful at a time before stopping to breath. However I kicked home in the 2nd half and finished ok to complete the rep in 62 seconds.

Run 2: Again the first 100m was easy, getting the burps out to keep the stomach in check for the latter stages of the rep. After about 150m I upped the pace and lenthened my stride, but still never got out of 3rd gear. With about 75m to go I eased back and cruised home.

Half a beer mile completed and to be honest I felt fine after. Maybe it was the fresh air, maybe it was the good night's sleep, maybe it was yesterday's training session increasing my endurance but I am now 100% confident about completing tomorrow's race.

Warm down was 3 easy beers in 30 minutes each off a 5 minute recovery.

Just a day to go! Bring it on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Just 3 of our sprint group at the track today: Myself, our 50.1 second 400 runner and our 10.6 100m runner back in his prime.

3x300m with 10 minute recovery.

My times were:

46-46-47

The 50.1 second lad was:

39-40-40

And our 100m sprinter (probably at 11.5ish these days) went:

43-43-44

So we were all fairly consistent which is very important. I was 3 seconds behind him throughout which I'm happy enough with. I was getting very close to him on Tuesday at the end of the hills so maybe I thought I would get closer, but hills and track are two different beasts. On the first rep I lost a lot of ground to him on the first 100m. On the 2nd and 3rd reps I started better but lost a lot during 100m and 200m. On all 3 reps however I finished stronger than him so at least that bit is encouraging.

Speed needs improving so I'll be doing some 60s on Saturday before the beer mile. Will probably just do 2x(4x60).

Now I got to get myself ready for this weekends big beer mile race. Off to the bottle shop to get some training in. :D
    Hey Pisco, how old is your 100m mate and is he training for the 400m now?

RandyMann wrote: »
    Hey Pisco, how old is your 100m mate and is he training for the 400m now?

He's about 41 or 42 I think. Nah he's training for 100 mainly. He said that yesterday was his first ever 3x300 session in his life. I dont believe him though. :) The coach wants him to run some 400s this year. Wants to see hom doing 56s.

• Advertisement

He's about 41 or 42 I think. Nah he's training for 100 mainly. He said that yesterday was his first ever 3x300 session in his life. I dont believe him though. :) The coach wants him to run some 400s this year. Wants to see hom doing 56s.

Nice 1, keep me posted on his races please. Good luck tomorrow. If you throw up any beer is it a DQ?

RandyMann wrote: »
    Nice 1, keep me posted on his races please. Good luck tomorrow. If you throw up any beer is it a DQ?

Nah if you vomit it's just the one penalty lap. Pretty confident I can get through this. Not sure about the time though.

9:20 for my debut beer mile to finish 14th out of 36 finishers. A lot of craic, can't recommend it highly enough. Savage support along the track. Really made those last few beers go down that bit easier! Brilliant start to the Victorian track season!! :-)

Race report to follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PaullBradyy

Pisco, when is your next 400 race, in a few weeks you mentioned?

I reckon you can run 57/56 for starters With a few key sessions in the meantime.

Do That same 3x300m you did with all around 43 flat. Take same recovery for The next session but then repeat The week after with only 3 min recovery. That's 2 sessions in two weeks. If you have third week go for 2x200m with 2 min rec in 27.5sec standing start.

imo you don't need to worry about weights to run 55sec 400.

Gl anyways.

I'll do up a race report for the beer mile later but just wanted to log a session I did before the race. Just did 6x60m with a walk back break. Didn't want to knacker myself out too much with 4 beers and 4 laps 45 minutes later.
    Pisco, when is your next 400 race, in a few weeks you mentioned?

I reckon you can run 57/56 for starters With a few key sessions in the meantime.

Do That same 3x300m you did with all around 43 flat. Take same recovery for The next session but then repeat The week after with only 3 min recovery. That's 2 sessions in two weeks. If you have third week go for 2x200m with 2 min rec in 27.5sec standing start.

imo you don't need to worry about weights to run 55sec 400.

Gl anyways.

Ha, I'd love to be running 43 flat for a 3x300m. No point kidding myself though. I aint in that sort of shape at the moment.

I'd have to disagree about gym work not being needed to go 55. To knock 3 seconds off my PB from last year I need to get stronger, hence all the gym work since May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Hi Pisco, great thread. That beer mile sounds like a serious laugh. I don't know if I could manage to keep them down though!!

On the weights subject...

If you look at the best elite 400m runners these days, most of them aren't very bulky at all, apart from LaShawn Merritt maybe. If you take the Borlee twins as an example, or Jeremy Wariner, (who IMO would have beaten the WR years ago if it wasn't for injuries), or Gillick even, it's a very slight, but heavily conditioned build that tends to do well.

Now, I know you're probably talking about strength more than bulk/bodyweight but I still don't think a huge amount of very heavy weights are needed for a 55sec 400m.

Circuit type training is more what I think is needed. Something like 3 rounds of 8 exercises for 30-50sec, with 30-50 sec rest, 2min between each circuit.

I'm not saying heavy weights are bad, but specifically for a sub 55sec 400m they're not as important.

I was running under 55sec for 400m from the age of 16 onwards and I had never squatted before the age of 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did you practice with the bottles in the weeks/days leading up to the race? What kind of beer was it? (sticking to the important questions). :)

Hi Pisco, great thread. That beer mile sounds like a serious laugh. I don't know if I could manage to keep them down though!!

On the weights subject...

If you look at the best elite 400m runners these days, most of them aren't very bulky at all, apart from LaShawn Merritt maybe. If you take the Borlee twins as an example, or Jeremy Wariner, (who IMO would have beaten the WR years ago if it wasn't for injuries), or Gillick even, it's a very slight, but heavily conditioned build that tends to do well.

Now, I know you're probably talking about strength more than bulk/bodyweight but I still don't think a huge amount of very heavy weights are needed for a 55sec 400m.

Circuit type training is more what I think is needed. Something like 3 rounds of 8 exercises for 30-50sec, with 30-50 sec rest, 2min between each circuit.

I'm not saying heavy weights are bad, but specifically for a sub 55sec 400m they're not as important.

I was running under 55sec for 400m from the age of 16 onwards and I had never squatted before the age of 19.

Interesting stuff. I guess though if you're doing 55 at 16 with no real gym work then you probably had a fair bit of natural speed, and I would guess that you would have run a lot faster once you reached adulthood (correct me if I'm wrong). I guess aswell for anybody who is growing and still in their teens weights could be argued to be bad.

For myself though, being in my late 20s it would probably be a bit different. Having said that I'm not doing too much actual weights. Most of my gym work is with regards my legs and core, with things like step-ups, crunches, lunges etc. I've gotten a lot stronger since I started. I'm not trying to bulk up, and my weight has remained at 65kg (which is pretty light for a sprinter I think) in that time. But I'm much stronger and have a better muscle to fat ratio than I had last season. I'm hoping that this will enable me to get through the tougher sessions this year and stay injury free. To run a 55 I need to be running at a higher intensity and I need to be strong to get through such sessions injury free.

I'm no expert, but all my training group are in the gym twice a week, so I'm kind of just going with the crowd.

Did you practice with the bottles in the weeks/days leading up to the race? What kind of beer was it? (sticking to the important questions). :)

Yeh I had 2 training sessions (discussed in detail above). On Thursday I did a beer session with 2 x 1 beer off a 5 minute recovery between each rep. Felt pissed after but it was a vital session for getting me up to speed.

Then on Friday I had a half beer mile session, with 2 beers and 2 laps, and felt fine, and then eased back with 3 beers each in 30 minutes with a 5 minute recovery between each recovery beer. This laid the foundations for yesterday's top 15 finish.

Report coming very soon.

Interesting stuff. I guess though if you're doing 55 at 16 with no real gym work then you probably had a fair bit of natural speed, and I would guess that you would have run a lot faster once you reached adulthood (correct me if I'm wrong). I guess aswell for anybody who is growing and still in their teens weights could be argued to be bad.

For myself though, being in my late 20s it would probably be a bit different. Having said that I'm not doing too much actual weights. Most of my gym work is with regards my legs and core, with things like step-ups, crunches, lunges etc. I've gotten a lot stronger since I started. I'm not trying to bulk up, and my weight has remained at 65kg (which is pretty light for a sprinter I think) in that time. But I'm much stronger and have a better muscle to fat ratio than I had last season. I'm hoping that this will enable me to get through the tougher sessions this year and stay injury free. To run a 55 I need to be running at a higher intensity and I need to be strong to get through such sessions injury free.

I'm no expert, but all my training group are in the gym twice a week, so I'm kind of just going with the crowd.

I got down to 51.3s before I packed it in 3 years ago... getting back on the horse now though. I haven't decided whether I'm focusing on 400m or 800m yet though. Just building up a base at the moment.

65kg is a good weight I think (although I'm a fair bit heavier now, I was about 65kg at 17/18), how tall are you? Those exercises all seem sensible enough, and being with a group is always more fun. :D Are you still in Australia? And what stage of the racing calendar is it at the moment?

I got down to 51.3s before I packed it in 3 years ago... getting back on the horse now though. I haven't decided whether I'm focusing on 400m or 800m yet though. Just building up a base at the moment.

65kg is a good weight I think (although I'm a fair bit heavier now, I was about 65kg at 17/18), how tall are you? Those exercises all seem sensible enough, and being with a group is always more fun. :D Are you still in Australia? And what stage of the racing calendar is it at the moment?

My height is 5'10"

Here's the track calender for the season which starts in a few weeks.

http://www.athsvic.org.au/cache/NewsFile/6496AV%20Summer%20Calendar%203.09.2012.pdf

I have a race every weekend (bar 2 or 3) up to Christmas. Then my visa runs out, but I've just got a new job which is full time so there's a good chance I may get sponsored to stay on. But at worst I'll get half a season, and most of the grassroots stuff is before Christmas anyway. After xmas it is more dominated by championship events (which I'll definitely do if still here).

I have a race every weekend (bar 2 or 3) up to Christmas. Then my visa runs out, but I've just got a new job which is full time so there's a good chance I may get sponsored to stay on. But at worst I'll get half a season, and most of the grassroots stuff is before Christmas anyway. After xmas it is more dominated by championship events (which I'll definitely do if still here).

Wow, that's a fair few races so. Should give you plenty of opportunity to improve!

Weight does sound a bit light, but it's all about your build I suppose. I'm about 78/79kg at 6ft.

Background:

I've never been the greatest drinker. I was considered a lightweight in college, but over time built up a commendable (though not extraordinary) tolerance, which probably reached its peak in around 2007/08. I was never the best chugger of beer however, and was usually more of a slow burner when it came to the pints o' the black stuff! All in all, in drinking terms I am extremely average.

The running part is not better. I'm not much of a runner, and certainly am no miler, especially compared to the vast majority of my competitors in this beer mile. My best non-beer mile time was just before leaving Ireland in September 2010 when brianderunner paced me along to a 5:48, which was off almost no training. Right now, despite the fact my training is only for the 400m, I'd be confident that I could better that and maybe go sub 5:40, but in mile terms I'd be way down the list.

Target:

Given my mile PB and my lack of drinking prowess I set myself what at first appeared a realistic target of sub 10 minutes for the beer mile.

Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail

With 2 days until the race I was yet to do any specific training. Sure I had been out on the tear the weekend before, but sipping a beer in 30 minutes was not going to cut it at Melbourne Uni this weekend. So a contingency plan was put in place to get some last minute training in. After all, the facebook page for this event was gaining momentum, some athletes were flying in from a Tasmania for this specifically, and the event was even covered on Letsrun, so it would be wrong of me to not give it the respect it deserves. There were even bloody betting odds for this event!

Thursday night was focused solely on chugging. 2x 1 beer with 5 min recovery. First beer was swilled in 39 but I could only manage a 50 for the 2nd. 10 minutes later disaster struck. I was pissed. Confidence shattered, I went to bed that night thinking I had no chance of getting through this race in a respectable time, and sub 10 was nothing but a pipe dream.

I managed to convince a mate of mine to join in the festivities for the laugh. He's not a runner. He doesn't look like a runner. He hasn't competed in a single athletics event in his life. But he can neck a drink and hold it down well. We went for a training session Friday afternoon on my local cricket oval, a half beer mile. 1 beer, 400m, 1 beer, 400m, and then warmed down with a few crucially important recuperation beers. Confidence restored. We both safely negotiated this session. I now knew I was going to make it through the full mile, but a sub 10 still seemed a distant dream.

The beer:

Beer mile Kingston rules state a beer needs to be at least 355ml and 5% in volume. However I was never going to be setting any records so I just picked the best beer that would suit me (as did plenty of others). I decided for Hahn Super Dry, a lower carb beer with 4.6%, 330ml, 1.2 standard drinks. A full strength beer for sure, but slightly under the allowed amount, but unless you are at the pointy end of proceedings then it matters little. All training was completed with said beer.

The Race:

The atmosphere was hopping by the track. Approximately 40 competitors, and then probably twice as many spectators. There was music, and the sun came out. The excitement was building, but the nerves were also very much there, not just for me, but for some very good runners also. Running a sub 4:10 mile is one thing, but chugging 4 brews is another story entirely.

The gun went off and the crowd roared. I got off to a great start, but kept my enthusiasm in check. Took a few breathers but the drinking was pretty solid and I finished in 31 seconds, faster than any of my splits in training. However as I went off to run, I noticed I was towards the rear of the field with just 6-7 behind me. A lot of people went off like heroes and no doubt would suffer very soon.

First 100m was focused on burping. It's a key ingredient to successful beer mile-ing. Keeping all that gas in the stomach and going off at a blistering pace will destroy you body, mind and spirit. So burping out all the gas over the first 100m before upping the pace is necessary. Once this was completed I strided out and passed a few, but I was not running in any way hard, and indeed a few went past me.

2nd beer was solid. A little slower for sure, and more breathers, but just kept it conservative. At this stage you have no perception of where you are in the race as some of the top lads are nearly lapping you, and some are puking, and others are taking ages drinking their beer. So at this point it's just me versus the clock and afterwards you worry about where you finish. Kept the 2nd lap pretty conservative just like the first.

3rd beer was tougher than the first 2 but I heard my friend (I had a bit of a support crew) shout out encouragement which was greatly appreciated and it got me through this difficult moment. I plugged away, increasing the pace a little on the 3rd lap, but trying to hold myself together for the big last effort on the last lap.

4th lap and disaster strikes. I pick up the wrong beer. I opened somebody elses beer in my hazy confused state. One sip and I knew I was in trouble. This sh1t was dire, but what choice did I have now but to finish it! It was horrible tripe. How anybody would buy it I cannot comprehend. I can't remember the name of it and I'd like to keep it that way. I battle through, and burp like I've never burped before.

With 300m to go I knew I was not going to spew. It's a great feeling, knowing you are over the worst. At this point I put down the boot and overtake a few. I was finishing strong. With 400 to go the clock was less than 8 minutes on the clock. I knew sub 10 was a certainty. I couldn't believe it. I now just had to hold myself together and keep the alcohol down. With 150m to go and with the nearest person ahead of me well out of sight I eased back very slightly as the stomach was feeling a bit sketchy. Imagine the shame of vomiting in the final 100m and having to incur a penalty lap? I wouldn't let it happen and cruised home in 9:20. I was over the moon. In the provisional results I finished in 15th out of 38 finishers. My mate came home over 4 minutes later to finish ahead of about 15 people. Upon looking at the results I noticed I had beaten far superior athletes to myself. People I wouldn't be anywhere close to in a normal race. It just goes to show the importance of going out on the beer at least once a week. It's long term, lifelong training at holding one's beer.

Aftermath:

Once finishing and I caught my breath all the 4.8 standard drinks hit me at once and I was fairly hammered. What's the best cure for this? Crack open another beer. I didn't get home until 8 hours later. The drinking went on for the rest of the day and the craic was mighty. Good Irish representation aswell. Overall an excellent event, lots of fun and supremely organised. The only disappointment was Josh Harris failing to break the world record. He seemed to be in good form, but he had a bad day sadly and could only finish in 7th, way off his best. No doubt he's disappointed, but form is temporary, class is permanent, and he will be back at the forefront of world beer mileing for many years to come, that I have no doubt.

Advice:

Too many runners have tunnel vision with their training these days! Have a bit of craic. One beer mile won't kill ya. I'm back into my real training tomorrow and in no way will this weekend's events seriously hinder my performance over my upcoming races, but the enjoyment of this race will stay a lot longer in the memory than the guilt of one interupted Saturday afternoon session! Do it! :)

From watching the video I have got a rough idea of my splits. When I was drinking my 3rd beer the camera went off me so I dont know my 2nd run, 3rd beer and 3rd run splits so have to group them together:

Beer 1: 0:31
    Run 1: 1:45
    Beer 2: 0:35
    Run 2, Beer 3, Run 3: 4:17
    Beer 4: 0:44
    Run 4: 1:31

• Advertisement

Back to the gym today. Muscles a bit stiff from the weekend, which I am assuming is because of the hard 60s I did on Saturday, as opposed to the beer mile. As a result I went a little easier this evening. Instead of doing all 14 exercises twice like the last day, I did all 14 once, and then 7 of the exercises twice. The exercises I did twice were: Goodmornings, bench press, crunches, body twists with medicine ball, heel rises, one legged squats and chin-ups.

I made the following changes from the last day:

Bench Press: Upped the weight to 75lbs, from 70lbs
    Body twists with Medicine Ball: Used a 5kg ball, up from 4kg

Coach said we are on the track tomorrow. Hills are done now for the year!

First Tuesday evening track session of the year. Better buzz about the place on a Tuesday than a Thursday as there's a lot more going on with Collingwood Harriers, and the Masters stuff aswell. Despite this it was a pretty horrid evening. Pissing rain and puddles all over the track. Session was 3x300m with 10 minute recovery. There were just 2 others in my training group this evening: one did 3x400m, and the other the same session as me. The first lad would run the first 100m and we'd then join him for the rest of the lap. For the first rep I took off just 5-7 metres before he came towards us, but for the 2nd ad 3rd reps at the advice of my coach I went off about 20m before he got to me, and as a result before the other lad aswell, as both those guys are much quicker than me (50 and 49 second PBs respectively), so this way I can see them for longer and stay closer. Not sure if it really made much of a difference to be honest but it helped shake things up a bit. I messed up the time for my 2nd rep which I was annoyed with as I felt I ran that one well. My times were:

46-?-48

Was not very happy with the 48 I have to say, but it was a miserable evening, and I wasn't getting much grip on the soaked track with my flats so no point dwelling on it.

Sounds good.

I haven't done a track session like that in a couple of years, looking forward to getting back on the track in a week or two.

Training with people better than you I always found to be good, it shows you what you can achieve if you put the work in. Or at least aspire to!

Did all 14 exercises twice this evening. The one change I made from before was increasing the bench press back up to 80lbs from 75lbs. Besides that everything was the same.

Massage after which was much needed after 3 tough track sessions, 2 days in the gym, and the beer mile shenanigans.

The body is a small bit tired and after tomorrow's track session I'm going to take the full weekend off to recuperate.

6x160m this evening at the track with 5 minute recoveries. Quite a warm evening, and the track was dry, so much nicer conditions than Tuesday night. A few people were missing this evening, while others were nursing niggles and so did easier sessions. So just 2 of us doing the 6x160 this evening. My rough times were:

22.0 - 22.1 - 22.3 - 22.5 - 22.4 - 22.1

Was between 8 and 13 metres down on the other lad over the course of the 6 reps.

Pretty happy with this evening. Felt like I ran well and I was a hell of a lot tireder than the last time we did this session which shows I pushed harder this time.

However, I've never been convinced that we've actually been starting these 160s from the right spot and afterwards I went and measured what I run, and sure enough, it was only 153-154 that I was running, 155 at a stretch. Pretty gutted by this as I thought I was running these 160s at high 27 200m pace, but alas it is not to be. I'd rather know what I'm actually running rather than get a false sense of security. In any case, the distance I ran today was pretty much what I ran the last few times, so there definitely was improvement today.

6x160m this evening at the track with 5 minute recoveries. Quite a warm evening, and the track was dry, so much nicer conditions than Tuesday night. A few people were missing this evening, while others were nursing niggles and so did easier sessions. So just 2 of us doing the 6x160 this evening. My rough times were:

22.0 - 22.1 - 22.3 - 22.5 - 22.4 - 22.1

Was between 8 and 13 metres down on the other lad over the course of the 6 reps.

Pretty happy with this evening. Felt like I ran well and I was a hell of a lot tireder than the last time we did this session which shows I pushed harder this time.

However, I've never been convinced that we've actually been starting these 160s from the right spot and afterwards I went and measured what I run, and sure enough, it was only 153-154 that I was running, 155 at a stretch. Pretty gutted by this as I thought I was running these 160s at high 27 200m pace, but alas it is not to be. I'd rather know what I'm actually running rather than get a false sense of security. In any case, the distance I ran today was pretty much what I ran the last few times, so there definitely was improvement today.

Nothing worse than realising this, happened to me before doing 200s before I got to know the track. Good session regardless

Took the weekend off after some hard consistent training over the last few weeks to let the body recover a bit.

Back today with a bang. Did all 14 exercises twice, making the following changes:

1) Goodmornings - Bar now at 35lbs, up from 25lbs
    2) Box Squats - Bar now at 35lbs, up from 25lbs
    3) Crunches - 40, up from 35
    4) Lunges with dunbells - 25, up from 20
    5) Chin-ups - decided to, for a change, see how many of these I could manage rather than stopping at 10 all the time. Managed 20 which was pleasing, especially given then fact I could barely manage 2 the first time I did them 4 and a half months ago :). Just did the 10 the second time around, and will probably go back to doing 10s on Wednesday.
    6) Side sit-ups - 20 on each side, up from 15

Started a new job today which is obviously great news, but one of the minor side effects is that I can't get out until 5pm. By getting out at 5pm on the dot, and doing a bit of running around the corner to the station I can make a train that will have me arriving at the track at 5:30. Get changed quickly and I'd probably have 8-9 minutes to warm up. If I miss that train then I'll be late. It's a right pain to be honest that clubs do their training sessions so early out here. I don't want to be doing a short warm up and jumping into a session, but I also don't want to be running on my own as I won't improve that way. Could end up being a case of for example a 3x300 with 10 minute recovery I would miss the first 300, do the last 2 300s with the group and then do one on my own at the end to make up for the one I missed. We'll see how it all goes anyway.

Very sad about the Irish girl here in Melbourne who has gone missing. She was last seen only about a 15 minute walk from where I live :(

Took the weekend off after some hard consistent training over the last few weeks to let the body recover a bit.

Back today with a bang. Did all 14 exercises twice, making the following changes:

1) Goodmornings - Bar now at 35lbs, up from 25lbs
    2) Box Squats - Bar now at 35lbs, up from 25lbs
    3) Crunches - 40, up from 35
    4) Lunges with dunbells - 25, up from 20
    5) Chin-ups - decided to, for a change, see how many of these I could manage rather than stopping at 10 all the time. Managed 20 which was pleasing, especially given then fact I could barely manage 2 the first time I did them 4 and a half months ago :). Just did the 10 the second time around, and will probably go back to doing 10s on Wednesday.
    6) Side sit-ups - 20 on each side, up from 15

Started a new job today which is obviously great news, but one of the minor side effects is that I can't get out until 5pm. By getting out at 5pm on the dot, and doing a bit of running around the corner to the station I can make a train that will have me arriving at the track at 5:30. Get changed quickly and I'd probably have 8-9 minutes to warm up. If I miss that train then I'll be late. It's a right pain to be honest that clubs do their training sessions so early out here. I don't want to be doing a short warm up and jumping into a session, but I also don't want to be running on my own as I won't improve that way. Could end up being a case of for example a 3x300 with 10 minute recovery I would miss the first 300, do the last 2 300s with the group and then do one on my own at the end to make up for the one I missed. We'll see how it all goes anyway.

Very sad about the Irish girl here in Melbourne who has gone missing. She was last seen only about a 15 minute walk from where I live :(

20 chin ups in one set? That's really good! I'd say I could only manage 10-12 at the moment. How many reps do you do for the squats though?

Yes that news about the Irish girl is very sad. Her husband was on the radio a few minutes ago... :( There's been a lit of trouble for Irish people recently down under.

20 chin ups in one set? That's really good! I'd say I could only manage 10-12 at the moment. How many reps do you do for the squats though?

Yes that news about the Irish girl is very sad. Her husband was on the radio a few minutes ago... :( There's been a lit of trouble for Irish people recently down under.

Facebook page for her search is here. Horrible when you hear this happening to anybody, but when it's a fellow Irish person, and it happens in my very own local area out here it can be a bit hard to take: http://www.facebook.com/HelpUsFindJillMeagher

Yeh 20 in the one set. Had steadily progressed from a pathetic 2 on my first gym session in May, quickly up to 10 within about a month. Stopped then and kept it at 10. Decided the other day to give it a full crack and see what I could manage. Pretty delighted to get to 20 I have to say.

For the squats I am doing 2x10 twice during a gym session at the moment.

• Advertisement

Well for today there was no need to worry about rushing to the track after work in time for my session. Why? Because my training group took it amongst themselves to move their session forward from 5:30 to 4:30, as some of them are teachers and are on holidays at the moment so it suits them to start early. I wasn't informed until 3:30. Sound! Not that I or most people would have a hope of getting out of work so early anyway! Obviously wasn't happy but not much I can do about it. On Thursday they are training at the normal time again. Maybe they got a guilty conscience.

So this evening I was stuck training by myself. I asked the coach what the others did and he said 5x300m with 4 minute recovery, although only one of them managed the full session. I didn't want to risk such a session knowing I wouldn't be able for it, so the coach told me to do 3x300m with 5 minute recoveries. I liked the idea of this as it meant shorter recoveries from the 10 we usually do which will help further build the speed endurance. Short recoveries are not a problem for me to be honest. Last year all my 3x300m sessions were off 4 minutes and I actually find 10 minutes too long.

Times for today were:

47(low)-48(low)-49(low)

You could probably deduct the best part of a second from each if I was running with my training group so looking back on it, it was a pretty solid session. Felt a bit knackered starting off the last one so I guess no surprise I fell off a bit there.

A few weeks ago at Melbourne Uni I did a 2x300 session off 5 minutes on my own at my times were 48(high) and 48(low) so good to see the improvement here on a comparable session, although the bends are tighter at Melbourne Uni than at Collingwood so that could also be a factor.

Advertisement