Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Lots of advice coming your way today Pisco, so I will add my 2c.

If you want to improve your aerobic fitness (and I am not sure if you do) then don't start with 20 min jogs - they will have limited benefit, especially in your early season. Much better to do something like 10x200m off 2min.
    Here is some more on that:
    http://speedendurance.com/2011/08/22/clyde-hart-monday-200-meter-repeats/

And an alternative opinion:
    http://completetrackandfield.com/1149/400m-vs-mcdonalds/

As regards doing your 300m repeats faster (or with longer recoveries) that could be a valid progression as you go through the season. If you are already speed work (at faster than 400m pace), you should not panic. Talk to your coach about what he sees as progression through the long season.

Trust your coach, or get a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Weekly massage this evening followed by gym. Did all 13 exercises twice with the following changes:

1) Pull ups - 10 each time, up from 8 and 10 on Monday
    2) Circuit upper body - 40.5lbs up from 35lbs (assuming the bar is 15lbs)
    When I was running in my teens, this was a problem for me, I wasn't doing enough aerobic work in the winter, and this led to me having huge problems with running a heat and final in one day.

Even though I was regularly running 52.xx in one-off races, if it was a heat/final,, I'd take it as handy a I could in the final 150m to make the final, say 53 high, but no matter how easy I'd taken the heat, I don't think I ever ran faster in a final if it was on the same day. It was really infuriating, because the races that had heats were always the more important ones.

This was really brought home to me when I ran at the Scottish national (juvenile) indoors a few years back, the guy that won the 400m ran a heat, semi and final in the same day, all in 49.xx.

If you're in racing season Pisco, I wouldn't change massively, say do one 20min run a week, then build from there. But I do think aerobic base fitness is very very important!
    I'm intrigued by the track. How tight and slow is it? Is it only 200 meters?

45 second per 300 is 4 minute mile pace. I don't see how a bend on any outdoor track can make any difference over 300 especially as you presumably only run one of the bends.

If the track does make a difference then dump the watch and run off feel. You seem to be massively caught up on times and stats. Focus on working damn hard instead of hitting times and then analysing them.

You also seem to be aerobically lacking. 400 athletes need to be fit. David Gillick once ran a 4.32 mile leg in the Intervarsity road relays. He was/is incredibly fit. Well worth adding some 30 minute runs to your week.

Interesting discussion guys. Firstly looking at a time alone in isolation doesn’t tell much. It’s better to gauge my times against previous times under a similar environment (training environment with not the same level of adrenaline, with flats, on a particular track) and also against those who I train with. For example one day a few weeks back I did a 46-46-47 for 3x300. That same session our 50.1 second 400m runner managed his in 39-39-40. So he’s running at 52-53 second pace for just 300m, which is a pace a good bit slower than his PB. I don’t think this gives any indication that he couldn’t run a 52-53 second 400m in a race right now. He could probably do so with his eyes closed.

With regards the track I was chatting with our top 400m Hurdler who has a PB over 400 from a few years back of 50.01 and he said the track is so bad that he had to move his training to Box Hill as the bends were much too tight for hurdles.

I'm not sure I would agree I am aerobically lacking in terms of speed endurance. Last season I ran 58.6 off a wind assisted 26.9 for 200m and a very wind assisted 12.96 for 100m, so I think it's clear that my main issue is my top speed. I tend to finish strongly in 400m races. Again last Saturday I finished stronger than the 2 lads ahead of me, but I left myself way too much to do, not through lack of effort early on, but due to my current inability to get up to speed quickly. This is an area that requires focus. I don't see a great deal of benefit to me in running 20 minute long runs at this time of the year. I'll be doing 800m races over the coming months which will serves as a good aerobic workout.

With regards the heats and finals being in one weekend, I am a long long way off the stage where I need to worry about that. To make the B final of the State Championships I'd need a solid 51:xx, and to make the final of the Vic Country Championships I'd need a 53. These are the only events where there will be heats and finals during the season.

Interesting point about ditching the times, but for me I like to be able to track my progress. As I said above the times means nothing on their own and are only useful when compared to a similar session under similar training conditions. As for the analysing of the times well that's simply down to being a complete stats nerd, and that really is inbuilt into me. :D

dna_leri wrote: »
    Lots of advice coming your way today Pisco, so I will add my 2c.

If you want to improve your aerobic fitness (and I am not sure if you do) then don't start with 20 min jogs - they will have limited benefit, especially in your early season. Much better to do something like 10x200m off 2min.
    Here is some more on that:
    http://speedendurance.com/2011/08/22/clyde-hart-monday-200-meter-repeats/

And an alternative opinion:
    http://completetrackandfield.com/1149/400m-vs-mcdonalds/

As regards doing your 300m repeats faster (or with longer recoveries) that could be a valid progression as you go through the season. If you are already speed work (at faster than 400m pace), you should not panic. Talk to your coach about what he sees as progression through the long season.

Trust your coach, or get a new one.

Interesting articles there. I like the second one personally and would agree with it. It also reminded me of this quote from Emil Zatopek:

"Why should I practice running slow? I already know how to run slow. I want to learn to run fast."
    RandyMann wrote: »
    I would have to agree with the above. I think your intervals are too slow. I also think that the volume of all the exercises/reps in the gym is huge, like you do many reps and a wide range of exercises. Go for power, lift heavier with fewer reps/longer recovery, like the way your intervals should be.

Cheers for that. Will keep this in mind. Any changes I make to my gym routine need to be made very slowly and cautiously. I am still a newcomer to weights and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Interesting discussion guys. Firstly looking at a time alone in isolation doesn’t tell much. It’s better to gauge my times against previous times under a similar environment (training environment with not the same level of adrenaline, with flats, on a particular track) and also against those who I train with. For example one day a few weeks back I did a 46-46-47 for 3x300. That same session our 50.1 second 400m runner managed his in 39-39-40. So he’s running at 52-53 second pace for just 300m, which is a pace a good bit slower than his PB. I don’t think this gives any indication that he couldn’t run a 52-53 second 400m in a race right now. He could probably do so with his eyes closed.

Would you be able to put the 50.1 guy's session times up when you post if it's not too much trouble? I'd be aiming for that sort of time this year so it would be good to work off!

The getting up to speed issue was also one I had, and I would seriously consider changing your weights sessions to focus on power and high intensity.

Up the weight and try to do stuff like power cleans with low reps. 5x5 or 5x3, that sort of thing.

Would you be able to put the 50.1 guy's session times up when you post if it's not too much trouble? I'd be aiming for that sort of time this year so it would be good to work off!

The getting up to speed issue was also one I had, and I would seriously consider changing your weights sessions to focus on power and high intensity.

Up the weight and try to do stuff like power cleans with low reps. 5x5 or 5x3, that sort of thing.

Yeh no worries. I don't always hear what his times are. As far as I'm aware he did a 4x400m session yesterday with 5 minute recoveries and was running them in 56ish, but I'm not entirely sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

I'm not sure I would agree I am aerobically lacking in terms of speed endurance. Last season I ran 58.6 off a wind assisted 26.9 for 200m and a very wind assisted 12.96 for 100m, so I think it's clear that my main issue is my top speed. I tend to finish strongly in 400m races. Again last Saturday I finished stronger than the 2 lads ahead of me, but I left myself way too much to do, not through lack of effort early on, but due to my current inability to get up to speed quickly. This is an area that requires focus.

Yes this is what I was talking about. Your acceleration would be the issue. If you have good acceleration, it will enhance your top speed as you have the momentum behind you to get you there quicker and it will help you maintain it. It would be like pushing a moving car, a lot of power needed to get it moving initially but less effort to maintain movement once its rolling.
    I have no doubt that you will see an instant improvement in your 100/200 if you get lifting like deadlifts and split squats. Your gym work seems to be high volume with loads of different exercises which maybe be good for a more endurance athlete. Acceleration is all about explosive power. I have read that the deadlift is one of the most important exercises for sprinting. Even though my strength program incorporates a few other exercises like glute ham raises with upper body exercise like chin ups, shoulder press and bench press, deadlifts really have made the difference for me.
    To get the power for acceleration, lift heavy with less reps, longer recovery. A 12.5 100 would be a certainty which will do your 400 the world of good.

Sorry didnt see your reply above until after I wrote this :-)

Well the stupid train's were held up 15 minutes so no chance of making the session with the others. Given the fact I am racing a 400 on Saturday one of the coaches said to run 5x150m with short recoveries at around 400m pace.

However after doing my stretches out of absolutely nowhere appears a tightness in the area at the back of my right knee when I walked, the same area that I was having trouble with when I started my squats back in April, but on the other leg. Unbelieveable. Out of friggin nowhere. I must have over-stretched something when stretching. I talked to the coaches and they said to just run and forget about it and if it feels like its getting worse then stop. I guess their way of saying to HTFU and if you were to stop every time you got a niggle you'd never run. As it turned out I didnt feel it once when I ran or during my walk back recoveries. However when I finished my session and started walking a few minutes later I could feel it again. It doesn't seem like much of a deal, it's more the spontaneousness of it that's worrying. I've been icing it now so hopefully it will disappear overnight.

Session itself was fine. My recoveries were 2 and a half minutes. Focused on staying relaxed, moving fast but not straining. Got my pacing a bit slow the first 2 reps but was happy with the last 3:

22(high) - 23(low) - 22(mid) - 22(mid) - 22(mid)

So day off tomorrow and first round of the AV Shield on Saturday with a 100m and 400m on the menu.

You also seem to be aerobically lacking. 400 athletes need to be fit. David Gillick once ran a 4.32 mile leg in the Intervarsity road relays. He was/is incredibly fit. Well worth adding some 30 minute runs to your week.

Just thought about this a bit more. Gillick is a 44.77 runner for 400m and has run a 4:32 mile. To go sub 56 which I'm targeting, keeping the Gillick ratio of 400 to 1 mile I'd need to be running a 5:40 mile, something which I believe I could do in a race tomorrow no bother if I had to. As Randyman said the area that needs improvement is top speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Just thought about this a bit more. Gillick is a 44.77 runner for 400m and has run a 4:32 mile. To go sub 56 which I'm targeting, keeping the Gillick ratio of 400 to 1 mile I'd need to be running a 5:40 mile, something which I believe I could do in a race tomorrow no bother if I had to. As Randyman said the area that needs improvement is top speed.

I think what myflipflops might be referring to is the sheer drop off between say your 400 and 800 times. With 58 speed a sub 2.20 would be fairly reasonable target to indicate solid strength.

Acceleration is very likely an issue but I fear that if you get this your drop off in the last hundred will in fact be similar or more dramatic than the people you feel are dying off more than you.

Just an opinion and most likely given my distance background may be seen as just distance mentality but I have mentioned before that I feel your aerobic strength should not be ignored or seen as one of the less important aspects to work on at the current time.

I know you're getting a lot of advice thrown at you, but I'd have to agree with e.coli. on the 800m time.

I don't know what your 800m PB is, but a rule of thumb you should aim for is (your 400m time + 5 secs)*2 = 800m time.

I never got down to that, but my training was always unbalanced.

If you can run a 59 sec 400m, a 2.12-15sec 800m should be well within your reach.

• Advertisement

I know you're getting a lot of advice thrown at you, but I'd have to agree with e.coli. on the 800m time.

I don't know what your 800m PB is, but a rule of thumb you should aim for is (your 400m time + 5 secs)*2 = 800m time.

I never got down to that, but my training was always unbalanced.

If you can run a 59 sec 400m, a 2.12-15sec 800m should be well within your reach.

Its interesting that you mentioned that as a rule of thumb as the one I go by is very similar in terms of a well trained athlete:

PB at 1/2 distance (for 10k used 5k etc) x 2 + (2.2 seconds per lap) and have used it many times and find it shockingly accurate and would be quite similar to your estimations (admittedly 400/800 would be the bottom end of the scale this works at)

On another note I have seen Gregan do 1.15/1.16 for 600m time trials in early season so gives you an indication of the kind of strength I am referring to (to compare would be similar to you running roughly 1.30 for 600m)

ecoli wrote: »
    PB at 1/2 distance (for 10k used 5k etc) x 2 + (2.2 seconds per lap) and have used it many times and find it shockingly accurate and would be quite similar to your estimations (admittedly 400/800 would be the bottom end of the scale this works at)

On another note I have seen Gregan do 1.15/1.16 for 600m time trials in early season so gives you an indication of the kind of strength I am referring to (to compare would be similar to you running roughly 1.30 for 600m)

Yeah but Gregan is an animal. I ran against him once before in Nenagh at a juvenile competition, under 18/19 probably. Wasn't much of a race! He was just coming back after a year's injury and ran 48 seconds.

Hopefully I'll be able to put some decent 600m training runs in by around christmas. Have PLENTY of work to do in the meantime though...

ps Pisco, I've been reading through your log , looking at the interval type sessions you've been doing, and have decided to 'borrow' some of them. That's teh beauty of shared knowledge!! :D

Lads I dont agree with the 400 to 800 comparison. If ever there were 2 events more different it is those. My training partner is a 50.1 400m runner. What is his best 800m time? 2:08. I recall Claire Bergin (I think it was her but maybe it was one of the other relay runners) running a 2:12 800m at a Graded meet during the summer and she's a 53 runner. To be running 2:12 I'd need to be putting in mileage which wont benefit my 400.

Look at Michael Johnson. He could barely squeeze under 5 for a mile. Cant imagine his 800 would have been that great either. Didn't do him any harm. :)

Lads I dont agree with the 400 to 800 comparison. If ever there were 2 events more different it is those. My training partner is a 50.1 400m runner. What is his best 800m time? 2:08. I recall Claire Bergin (I think it was her but maybe it was one of the other relay runners) running a 2:12 800m at a Graded meet during the summer and she's a 53 runner. To be running 2:12 I'd need to be putting in mileage which wont benefit my 400.

Look at Michael Johnson. He could barely squeeze under 5 for a mile. Cant imagine his 800 would have been that great either. Didn't do him any harm. :)

I really don't agree with you here. My cousin, who's a few years older than me has a 48.xx PB over 400m from when he was 18, and his 800m PB, from the same season is 1.56-high. He was on for a 1.53 coming into the final 100m apparently, but blew up.

Then you have the 800m WR holder, Rudisha, who can do a 45.5s 400m or something. And Sebastian coe took a year out from running 800m to do concentrate on his 400m speed. His PB was 46/47s I think.

A 400m runner would be expected to do 600m repeats in winter training, so I don't see how stretching that out to 800m should be a masive problem. Obviously it's not your main focus, but it should be within your capabilities.

Johnson is a bit of a special case, he was a very speed-based athlete, and really is incomparable to anyone I can think of. Look at his physique in comparison to the guys winning the 400m these days; he was beast.

That's just my opinion!

I really don't agree with you here. My cousin, who's a few years older than me has a 48.xx PB over 400m from when he was 18, and his 800m PB, from the same season is 1.56-high. He was on for a 1.53 coming into the final 100m apparently, but blew up.

Then you have the 800m WR holder, Rudisha, who can do a 45.5s 400m or something. And Sebastian coe took a year out from running 800m to do concentrate on his 400m speed. His PB was 46/47s I think.

A 400m runner would be expected to do 600m repeats in winter training, so I don't see how stretching that out to 800m should be a masive problem. Obviously it's not your main focus, but it should be within your capabilities.

Johnson is a bit of a special case, he was a very speed-based athlete, and really is incomparable to anyone I can think of. Look at his physique in comparison to the guys winning the 400m these days; he was beast.

That's just my opinion!

You've hit the nail on the head here. Your points are relevant for endurance based 400m runners (or 800m runners in the case of some of your examples), those who can come down from 800 and run a good 400. This is not the case for speed based 400 runners. Our 50.1 runner is a bloody good athlete and he'll probably go sub 50 this year. I don't see how his 2:08 for 800 is going to hinder him. I personally think his 23 second 200m is far more relevant for what he can achieve.

You are comparing these speed based runners of a 200/400 background to yourself despite the continued comments that your strength is one of your best weapons.

I am not saying that you have to race 400/800 but simply if this is going to be one of your strengths which you rely on you have to be...... well strong in that area.

I agree with you there are plenty of 200/400 runners who cannot translate a fast 800m.

Being that stats freak you are I figure you might enjoy these stats:

Puts it into perspective that you really can't hide from aerobic base. I know I am coming from a distance perspective but I think Clyde Harts approach is one more suited to strength based runners and would look to the likes of Wariner, Niall Tuohy or Alberto Juantorena as more direct comparisons

ecoli wrote: »
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/training/energysys.htm

Puts it into perspective that you really can't hide from aerobic base. I know I am coming from a distance perspective but I think Clyde Harts approach is one more suited to strength based runners and would look to the likes of Wariner, Niall Tuohy or Alberto Juantorena as more direct comparisons

That link just brings me to nutrition website????

I agree with what you're saying though. Wariner has a very decent 200m time, 20.xx. He was immense over 300m, and I'd imagine he'd do a very good 800m too.

On a side note, I heard Oscar Pistorious broke the 800m WR a few times in training due to the fact that he doesn't tie up because he doesn't have calf muscles. Not quite relevent, but interesting nonetheless.

All interesting and valid points from the lads above.
    I really do think though that you have plenty of aerobic ability/work done for the distance you are running, I mean its only 400m, a sprint distance, half of it (the first 200) is anerobic, the second half is mostly aerobic - I Remember Colin Jackson saying this during the olympics :)
    Now I have only ran a 400 once as a relay on grass(61 aprox) so I dont have much experience and I have only done one complete season training for 100/200 but by purely doing speed work I ran a 32.8sec 250m interval a few weeks ago which would be 52.5 400 pace. I really do believe I could go under 55 for 400 with a months work of aerobic and speed endurance off the back of my speed which I developed with high intensity intervals and heavy lifting.
    I have very little aerobic fitness/strength but it would be an interesting experiment to try and prove my point. ie approaching the 400 from a speed based training perspective.
    Anyone can develope speed(to a point) its just a simple matter of getting more powerful. I know you said that the 100 is a very natural event and either you have it or you dont but you have not put the speed work in at the intensity required. With the approach you have taken all you are training your body to do is hold your speed for longer but no work is done on increasing your top speed or improving acceleration.
    I remember my first 200 last year where I ran 26.3 and this guy went by me like a train on the inside lane to run 24.8 I remember saying to myself at the time, Jesus I could never have that natural speed., he was in a different league, but a season later I ran 24.08
    To sum it up, if you want a shortcut to that 56 400, get your 200 down to 25, a very achievable time for you.
    Now I know you are only 26/27 years of age and you may be in no hurry, so the aerobic/endurance approach may suit you(you also may enjoy it more) and it may get you there over the next few seasons but the power/speed approach will get you there (a 56 400) quicker me thinks !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Interesting discussion above on short v's long approach to 400m running, where the "short approach" will favour the 100/200m sprinter moving up and the "long approach" is better for the 800m type. The reality is most people arrive at the 400 from one direction or another, depending on their background. With a bit of work, RandyMann could run a decent 400m purely from a sprint background, where ecoli could probably do a similar time off middle distance training. In a straight race, RM should be ahead for 300m with ecoli finishing strong - my money would be on the middle distance guy. Any chance of putting that to the test lads?

However for Pisco, I think he is jumping straight in at 400m, without a background in either short sprints or middle distance. In that case, I think he needs to work both ends of the spectrum. To get a 55.x 400m, you will need to improve both aerobic capacity/strength and speed/power.

The general guideline for 400m is that it is about 40% aerobic at the elite level but beware of drawing too many conclusions from that as it is based on 44-45s 400m guys. At that point a 56s guy still has 12s to run, and by then all you have left is the aerobic energy system so you end up well over 50% aerobic. We could argue about the %, but the key point is that you should not rely too much on comparsions with elite guys when you are running 25% longer than them.

In my opinion, the aerobic component is lacking in your program and while I said earlier, trust your coach you should also ask him about this. Personally I think you should have done this in your off-season but there is nothing to stop you doing aerobic work on your easy days without interfering with your quality sessions. [and by aerobic work I don't mean 20 min jogs]. On the other hand you may choose not to because you don't really enjoy that stuff !

Yeh no worries. I don't always hear what his times are. As far as I'm aware he did a 4x400m session yesterday with 5 minute recoveries and was running them in 56ish, but I'm not entirely sure.

Just looking back at this now. That is serious going.

Some of the toughest sessions I did were 6x400m with 4min jogging recovery, I'd aim for 60-61. The first 3 were always ok. the 4th tough, and the 5th and 6 were always a good bit slower and very very painful.

That 4x400m session sounds like something I should aim for.

• Advertisement

59.24 seconds for 400m today at the first round of the AV Shield. My 3rd fastest time ever, 0.56 off my PB and just 0.06 off my 2nd fastest time. Pretty delighted as I didn't run that fast last year until the 2nd last race of the season. Will certainly take that time this early in the season! :) Happy to see some sort of results from 5 months of hard work. Maybe, just maybe, at the next 400m race in 2 weeks time there might be a cheeky PB in it for me.

Earlier in the day I ran 13.35 for 100m. Don't know what the wind was yet but I think it was a headwind. Pretty happy to be honest. My PB of 12.96 is skewed by the fact I had a +4.3 tail wind. Today's performance is my best ever non-hand timed, non wind assisted 100m. Hopefully I can take that down over the course of the season. I need to.

Race report to follow tomorrow. A lot to talk about.

The long wait is over. The AV Shield is back. Run by Athletics Victoria the AV Shield is the premier inter-club athletics championships in Victoria, the equivalent to Ireland's National League. The competition is divided into 6 regions (3 of these located in the Melbourne Metro region, one in Ballarat, one in Bendigo and one in Geelong). Each region has 12 rounds of competition between now and February, and numerous divisions, including 3 for men, 2 for women, one for junior and one for masters. My club Richmond are in division 2 of the East region. In our division the top 4 from each club score points in all non-hurdle track races (its top 6 in division 1), with the top 2 scoring points in hurdle and field events. At the end of each round the points are added up and the clubs in each division are ranked based on these points and ladder points are awarded based on the clubs position at the end of that round. After 12 rounds of this, the top 2 clubs in each division qualify for the Shield Final in mid February against the top teams from all the other regions where 4 athletes from each club in our division (6 in division 1) will be chosen for each track event and 2 for field events. It's a great setup and it allows everybody to play a part in a club's success. No such thing as just 1 person representing your club per event like you see in Ireland. The points thing is a bit complex but one would hope that the guys who run this know what they are doing in that regard.

I got to the track early (around 12.45) due to getting a lift out to Box Hill so had a lot of sitting around which was a little tedious. I was only competing in 2 events, the 100m and 400m. The 100m was due to start just before 3pm and the 400m after 5pm.

The weather at this stage looked pretty nice. Sun was out, mixed with black clouds lurking creepily in the distance. When the sun was out it was warm. When it wasn't it got nippy. It would rain. Then it would shine. Then overcast, then more rain, then more sun. One of those typical Irish "make up your mind days" which October time Melbourne is so known for.

100m:

I had finished my breakfast at around 10am, and had a banana at around 1:30, but as the 100m starting to become more and more delayed, I realised I hadn't planned my race day eating very well. I felt hungry going into my race. But it was too late now to do anything about it, so my thoughts were, to shut it out, drink plenty of water to stave off the hunger, then eat immediately after the race, giving me enough time to digest it in time for my 400m.

Just as my race was about to start the sun came back out. There were 6 in my race, including a club mate of mine who has gone sub 13 last season, and a friend of mine from Collingwood who would normally be low to mid 12. The other 3 guys I knew nothing about, and as it turned out they didn't seem to know much about themselves either. Why sub 12 second runners chose to run in races with 12.5 to 13 guys I will never understand!!

The gun went off, and I was slow out of the blocks. Maybe I wasn't but it felt damn slow as these sub 12 guys stormed off like rollercoasters. I picked up the pace nicely from 40m on and at this stage it was always going to be a battle for 2nd last between me and my club mate. Started to get a bit untidy from 60m-80m. Hard to fully explain it but I felt a bit messy, but held the pace and finished nicely to easily beat my club mate, and finish only a few metres down on my friend from Collingwood. Definitely closer to him than I was in the 100m last week.

My time was 13.35 electronically timed, which was about 0.3 ahead of my club mate and about 0.6 down on the lad from Collingwood. The wind was -1.4. The 100m is a funny one as due to having so many hand times and wind assisted times it's hard to know what my true PB is. What I can say is that this run was my fastest non hand timed, non wind assisted 100m ever. Adjusting my timed to a 0 wind it is 13.19, while adjusting my 12.96 with a +4.3 to 0 it comes out as 13.25 on those wind adjustment calculators. I have to say I am pretty happy with this run. It's early in the season and I am at the level I was at the end of last season in the 100m, so hopefully I can kick on from here and legally get under 13 seconds over the coming weeks/months.

400m:

Quickly ate some lunch. Then there was that ridiculous worry that I ate too much so off I went for a walk to burn a small bit of it off. A prime example of thinking too much about small details. Anyway, warm up for the 400m proved to be a bit more of a pain in the ass than it was for the 100m as in 45 minutes leading up to my race the track was being used for 4x100m relays and women's 400m, so I was constantly hopping off and back onto the track between races. Lesson learnt, start warming up earlier next time. I didn't feel like I had done enough of a warm up entering my race and there was quite a bit of standing around before the race. By this stage the rain had given another light dusting, and the sun was hopping in and out at 2 minute intervals. I gave up thinking about the weather at this stage (it's torture looking at the sky in Melbourne). Zero control over it.

My last 5 400m races have been in the outside lanes, so I was delighted to get lane 2 this time. It gave me a nice view of the field, but avoided the tightness of lane 1. I was in the 6th of around 11 men's races. I didn't look to see who was in my race. Normally I would but on this occasion I didn't bother. My nerves were gone at this stage and I didn't want anything extra to think about. The sitting around all day waiting for my event, the very last on the programme is tough, but that's just the way it is, and will be thoughout the year.

However, a 16 year old lad from Collingwood was in lane 3 and he came up to me asking what pace would I be running at, as he hoped I'd be a makeshift rabbit for him to get him around to a sub 60. He ran an 800m PB of 2:19 last week, and a nice 1500m PB of 4:49 an hour or so earlier and felt having previously run 61 he was in the shape to go under 60. I had my private doubts that he was at this level yet, but regardless I was delighted he was in the lane outside me as it gave me somebody to chase.

With so many heats there was no chance to do a few strides from the blocks like you do at championships events. One race over, get the next one started is how it is run. So no chance to get the blood flowing a bit, and straight into the blocks I went. Gun went off, and I flew out. Felt like a very nice start and I could feel myself catching the guy outside me very quickly and after about 120m I was right up on him. Either I was going out like a train or he overestimated his 400m shape. (it was the latter as he finished in 61.99) However at around this point the guy in lane 1 came up on me and passed me, while it took another 40 metres or so before I properly went past the guy outside me as I cruised down the back straight at a healthy pace. With 200m to go I pushed all out and lengthened the stride and felt good. I was catching the lad in lane 1. Then out of nowhere with 130m to go I feel a spasm sensation in my right calf. WTF!! It wasn't sore and only lasted about 10-20m but for a brief half second I thought that it was game over, but I kept running and I was fine and I was able to continue the race to my full ability. However the last 100m was a complete blur as a result. In a twisted way this calf thing made me forget about the toughness of that last 100m. I passed the guy in lane 1 at some point in the last 100m and I closed on another guy but besides that I can't remember much.

Absolutely exhausted afterwards. Dizzy. But no pain or anything in the calf. One of my coaches timed me at 58.9, and a few minutes later my result was confirmed as a very pleasing 59.24 seconds, my 6th sub 60, my 3rd fastest time ever, and faster than anything I achieved last year right up until the second last race of the season. At this time of year I certainly aint going to say no to a result like that. Delighted. :)

However, the calf thing has played on my mind. I've got that sensation before in training, but always in the other calf, always not until after 4-5 reps, and not once in the last 6 weeks. It cant be cramp as cramp would be painful. It could be a minor calf strain but again that would surely have some symptoms of pain. I asked the question on letsrun and some guy said it sounds like a muscle spasm in the calf. I think my warm up could have been a problem. 400m are a bit of a nightmare in the AV Shield as you need to crowd around the guy giving out the lanes for each race to get yourself into a certain race. The races come thick and fast then so you dont have much time to get warmed back up again. There's no time to do a few strides out of the blocks like you have at championships. I'll just have to make sure to be extra warmed up and well stretched in the calf area next time, if indeed that is the problem.

Another thing which was pleasing was that I beat one of my training partners over 400m, our former 10.6 second guy. He only ran 60.4 or something. He ran a 100m earlier in the day in 12.01 with a -1.4 wind. But he is no 400m runner and died in the last 100m. Really goes to show that raw speed doesn't always equal good 400m performances.

Next weekend is Round 2 at Doncaster where I will have a 200m and 800m to negotiate.

A good confidence builder for you, well done. Nice 100 too! It proves that the weather was the main factor last time...

RandyMann wrote: »
    A good confidence builder for you, well done. Nice 100 too! It proves that the weather was the main factor last time...

Yeh pretty much. Also the better track this time would have helped. Conditions were far from ideal again, but a hell of a lot better than the previous week.

Much to the elation of RandyMann and Oregano State this evening changes were made to the gym routine. Had a discussion with the gym expert and he made some modifications. Back down to just 10 exercises now with the Lunges, clap push-ups and circuit upper body being ditched. He has brought in the leg press which he said I can alternate with my box squats. The big change was with the bench press. He put me onto the sort of routine that he and our 50.1 400m guy are doing. Basically it consists of finding out what the maximum you can bench press is, then doing the following

60% of max weight x 8
    65% of max weight x 8
    70% of max weight x 8
    75% of max weight x 8

On Wednesday that will start at 65%, and over time it will get heavier and heavier.

To my complete surprises I managed to lift 145.5lbs (66kgs) which is just over my body weight. I MAY have been able to throw another couple of kilos onto that but have left it at that as it's a good round number (145lbs) and we have a conversion chart in the gym which gives the percentages every weight at 5lb intervals.

Moving over to a different bar made a huge difference. It has more grip, is wider and just all round more comfortable and easier to lift. So the weights I lifted today were

8 x 87.5lbs
    8 x 95lbs
    8 x 102.5lbs
    8 x 110lbs

Got challenging towards the end but was able to manage 8 reps of them. Each of these were done around 15 minutes apart as I did other exercises in between at his advice.

The leg press I started easy today, at 30kgs, which felt way too light, but best to ease into a new exercise.

Other changes I made to the existing exercises was move the weight on my goodmornings up from 35lbs to 45lbs, and move from 5kg to 10kg on the body twists (no longer using a medicine ball, but now a weight).

So my current routine is as follows:

1) Goodmornings (45lbs) 3 x 5 (3 times)
    2) Leg Press (30kg) x 8 (3 times)
    3) Bench Press (8 x as mentioned above) (4 times)
    4) Crunches x 40 (3 times)
    5) Step-ups x 40 (2 times)
    6) Body-twists (10kg) x 20 (2 times)
    7) Heel Raises (2 x 11lbs dunbells) x 10 (2 times)
    8) Stomach Ball Crunches x 30 (2 times)
    9) Pull-ups x 10 (2 times)
    10) Side Sit-ups x 20 on each side (2 times)

Still finding it hard to stop my body rocking back and forth on my full extension pull ups. Crossing my feet sort of helps.

You know it makes sense..;)

That looks like a more sprint-focused weights plan, good stuff.

On the subject of rocking back and forth during pull-ups, that usually happens when you do them quickly. Your centre of gravity doesn't move in a straight line during pull-ups and that's what causes the rocking.

If you slow down the movement and pause at the bottom when your elbows are locked out, it should help stop this. It makes the excercise more difficult too, but sure the harder it is, the more benefit you get from it. ;)

Got to the track at a reasonable time this evening so was able to jump into the session during the others' 2nd rep. They had us running with the 800m runners this evening which was kind of fun for a change. Some different training partners. They had the them doing 5x300m off 4 minute recoveries. One of the sprinters just did 4, and I just did 3, as I didn't really want to put that additional stress on tired legs, especially given the shorter than usual recoveries.

Fet a bit awkward during my warm up jog. After effects of Saturday's races, but felt better during my drills and strides.

There were 2 groups of us going at 2 minutes apart so that there wouldn't be too many of us running at once (the track gets super busy on Tuesday nights). In my group there was one of my usual training partners, who is usually a good 2-3 seconds ahead of me on 300m reps. There was our 2:13 800m girl who is a 59.07 for 400m, and who ran 59.48 last weekend. I definitely think she has a lot to give in the 400 and is better suited perhaps as a 400/800 rather than a 800/1500. The other 2 guys were 800 guys who I dont know much about but pretty sure they are well below 2:10.

I wasn't ready for their first rep as was still warming up so I did my first rep when they were doing their second:

Rep 1: This rep went very well. Felt fast and smooth. I was actually cruising down the home straight and felt so good and didn't push to 100% to save some energy for the next reps with a short recovery. I ended up being the 2nd past the line out of the 5 of us, just a couple of strides down on the first lad (who strangely enough was not my sprinting training partner). I messed up the timing but the coach said the first guy went across in 44.5, so I was probably sub 45, or a very low 45. I was about a half second up on the girl, who I decided would be a good benchmark of where I am at, as she appears to be in great shape at this very early stage of the season. Of course it was there second rep and my first.

Rep 1: This didn't work out as smoothly. Some race walkers went passed just before we were about to start. I asked kindly would they move out of lane 2 into lane 3. One of them did, but dont think the rest heard me. I ended up having to run around one of them, but I can't use this as the sole reason for the slower time. I was this time about 3m down on the girl, although ahead of my usual training partner. Don't know what was going on with him. The time was a low 47.

Rep 3: This was a struggle. The lactic acid kicked in half way through. At around this time the girl ate up the stagger on me. I responded for a bit, then lost some ground between 120 and 80 to go, but fought back well and was only about 2m down on her this occasion. Time was slow though at 48 low.

They all went off for one more, and she died a fair bit on that rep finishing in 49.

All in all a good enough session though. First time this season that I have run off 4 minute recoveries. You can feel the difference.

Also interesting running with the 800 guys. You can really notice people's strength's and weaknesses when you mix us together.

Weekly massage this evening followed by a shortened gym session due to having to meet some friends for dinner.

Did the bench press 4 times, the leg press 3 times, crunches and goodmornings twice, and the other 6 exercises just once.

With regards the bench press I did 8x65% 8x70% 8x75% and 8x80% of 145lbs up from 60-65-70-75(%) on Monday. Heaviest weight was 115.5lbs. Funny enough I found the 3rd set harder than the 4th. Maybe I wasn't rested enough for that rep.

With the leg press for the first set I upped it from 30kg to 45.5kg but I still found this way too easy, so for the 2nd and 3rd sets I upped it to 75.5kgs which was much more challenging which is the way it should be. Will look to keep building slowly on that. I guess I underestimated the power and strength I have built up in my legs over the last 5 months!

Interesting comment from my physio this evening who is the 800/1500 coach. He said that for a guy like me he would, instead of seeing me run the 800m race this weekend, he would rather see me just run 500-600 of it flat out and either then drop out of the race or just jog the finish to score the club some points. Interesting comment. He said that by running the 800m I am only running at a slower pace which is of little importance to somebody who wants to run short and fast! I'll still be running the 800m on Saturday but I found this comment interesting, especially coming from a middle distance guy, and goes completely against what a lot of people have been saying here.

• Advertisement

Interesting comment from my physio this evening who is the 800/1500 coach. He said that for a guy like me he would, instead of seeing me run the 800m race this weekend, he would rather see me just run 500-600 of it flat out and either then drop out of the race or just jog the finish to score the club some points. Interesting comment. He said that by running the 800m I am only running at a slower pace which is of little importance to somebody who wants to run short and fast! I'll still be running the 800m on Saturday but I found this comment interesting, especially coming from a middle distance guy, and goes completely against what a lot of people have been saying here.

I think it is a good point but I am not quite sure that it goes against what people (me included) were saying.

The discussion was more to do with the drop off on times and the need for more aerobic work. I would agree that a 600m all out might not be a bad idea simply because the aeobic base is not there to sustain a higher intensity effort for 800m to get the aerobic benefit from it. It would be similar to why you wouldnt have someone starting out doing intervals in there first week of running (injury risk aside)

600m time trials were actually something mentioned before in the thread. Wouldnt be a bad idea if you are not interested in the 800m this weekend as long as it is not your 1st event (no point tiring yourself if you are chasing time in another event)

Advertisement