Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

It was back to AV Shield action after the Christmas break. I had competed in the first 8 meets, but skipped meet 9 in favour of a High Velocity meet, so this was my first AV meet in what felt like quite awhile. Last time out in round 8 I ran 26.50 for 200m, which was just 0.18 off my PB. On this occasion, having run back to back low 56's and solid training I expected to go much quicker.

Weather was pretty perfect. Not too hot, not too cold. Around 25 degrees, and mainly overcast, so not much sun to have to deal with.

200m:

Towards the end of my warm up a mate of mine from Collingwood came over to me and insisted on the 2 of us going in the same heat for a bit of a head to head battle. I said "f@ck it, sure why not, let's do it". His PB was 25.7 so I knew I'd be up close to him and he'd drag me to a fast time. He's only 16 so I'm sure he'll improve hugely over the coming couple of years (is representing Australia next weekend at the Australian Youth Olympic Festival in the race walk).

I went into lane 5 and he took the lane outside of me. Perfect. A bit of banter in the queue was had, before I got down to focusing on the task at hand.

Gun went off and I got out well on this occasion. I drove hard, head down, arms pumping, knees up. Lifted the head after 40m to see he's moved a bit ahead of me. The track at Doncaster has very tight bends so as we entered the straight there was still a full 100m to go. At this point he has a good 4m on me, but now I am motoring and I am actually closing his gap with alarming efficiency. At this point it's a battle for 2nd in the heat of 8, as the African guy in lane 1 is well ahead (and goes on to win in 24.73). As I close on him I notice him looking into my lane. Error 1 0 1. Don't look around you. Focus on yourself, something which I told him after. With 40m to go and I am right up on him, neck and neck. I felt at this point that I was going to beat him. However he found and extra gear to remain with me and at this point I started to lose my balance. It's a weird feeling. I felt like I was losing control of my legs and there was very little I could do but check my stride to ensure I remained on my feet. I lost momentum, which ultimately cost me the victory against him. It was very close but I felt he got me.

I was initially a bit pissed off. I knew I was running a stormer and then it went pear-shapped at the end. I didn't know how much time I lost because of it but it left a bitter pill in the mouth. But then I thought that this may have been the product of going at a pace I have never gone at before.

We waited for what seemed like an eternity for the official results, which confirmed that he had indeed just pipped me, by the narrowest of margins, with him taking 2nd place in 25.61 seconds, a PB for him I think, and myself in 3rd place with 25.62 seconds, an enormous PB by 0.70 seconds. The wind was comfortably legal at +1.2 m/s. OTT energetic hugs and high 5's followed. He both pushed each other to our limits on the day and had an epic battle, one which I really enjoyed. That's what this sport is all about, racing. Beating people who are faster on paper than you, losing to those who you should beat etc. We've already teed up a re-match in round 12 over 200m. Just a shame we didn't think of this earlier in the season.

Coach said to me "55.5" referring to what he says I will run next week. Let's hope he's right. He was pretty nailed on with his 25.58 prediction from earlier in the week. Just 0.04 out.

One of the other coaches said to me that I was pushing too hard at the end for something which wasn't there which caused me to tense up which led to the balance issue. It's certainly a weird one. Hasn't happened very often thankfully.

4x400m relay:

I opted to help out the club by running the relay. I ran the 2nd leg but the plan was just to run at 800m pace, maybe in 72 seconds or something. Our lead off runner ran 59 (which is well off his season's best of 56). I tool the baton in 2nd last. However we had a big lead over Diamond Valley AC who were in last. If we were miles behind in last I would have just cruised, but because there was the possibility of beating a team I ran a bit quicker. Ended up keeping the distance between us to about 20m when I handed the baton over. One of the coaches timed me roughly at 67 or 68, which is encouraging given I wasn't really pushing and was in road running shoes. Perhaps there would be a semi decent 800m in me which I could have a shot at once the season is winding down.

Our 3rd runner kept pretty much the same difference to the team behind us, but they had a quick runner on their last leg and he just sailed past our last runner who was not the quickest, and we came last in the end by about 8 seconds. But we got points for competing which is more than what the clubs who didnt field a relay team got.

Shot Putt:

The Vic Decathlon is in just 4 weeks time, and while I know I will be going in undercooked in most events, I thought it would be good to at least get reasonable practice in in one of the field events so I did my 3rd shot of the AV Shield season. I threw 6.02 and 5.97 on the last 2 occasions. My first attempt on this occasion was 5.79m. Then I had to go do the relay. When I came back I improved to 5.97m on the 2nd attempt. For the 3rd attempt I tried something difference. Instead of just stand and putt, I took one step before putting it, which gave me that little bit of extra force, and I ended up with 6.13m, which is my 2nd best ever, after the 6.51m outlier from last year's Vic Decathlon.

Unfortunately we finished 3rd by a painfully tiny margin, with our rivals for the 2nd Shield Final qualifying spot taking 2nd and thus gaining on us by 1 point in the overall standings. Had we beaten them we'd be 4 points clear with 2 rounds to go and pretty much home and dry, but now we are just 2 points ahead. Still in our hands but the momentum is with them as they have closed heavily on us in the last few rounds, and they have much stronger depth. Should we finish level on points we are in a position to qualify based on some complicated percentage tiebreaker method. But as things stand it's very much touch and go whether we will be taking part in the Grand Final. I would love to run in it but it is out of my control for the most part.

I wont be around to help the club next Saturday as I am going to the tennis. Instead I will be running a 400m the following day at the High Velocity meet in Sandringham.

Have decided to enter the 200m at the Victorian Country Athletics Championships in less than 2 weeks time. It’s not until after the 400m so I have nothing to lose by entering (except $12) and if I’m complete toast after the 400m I can always just pull out.

So according to the provisional timetable I will be running the heats of the 400m on the Saturday at around 3pm. In the unlikely event that I make the final that will be just 3 hours later at 6pm. The heats of the 200m are then the next day at 12 noon. I don’t expect to reach the final but if I did then I’d probably scratch from the 200m.

Really looking forward to it now. Not long to go.

6x150m this evening with 3 of the others with around 4 and a half minute rests between each, with a 6 minute break at half way. I ranged from 3rd to 4th out of the 4 of us over the 6 reps. Felt I ran well and was getting pretty close to the faster guys but tired a bit towards the end of the session. But the coach says he's never seen me do a set of 150s like that, so he was pleased.

Weekly massage followed by gym session. Was a bit short on time so cut the core exercises and only did 2 sets of box squats rather than 4. Everything else was the same except:

1) Leg Press - 3x8 @ 386lbs (up 10lbs)
    2) Bench Press - 8x135.5lbs, 8x145.5lbs, 7x152lbs (up from 6), 4x157.5lbs

39 degrees tomorrow so the session will be an easy one.

Astonishingly hot day today, reaching 40 degrees at 6pm, the time when I was training. For my warm up strides I did them in my spikes so I could get a few runs in my new 7mm spikes before my race on Sunday. Maybe I should have done a few strides in flats before doing them in spikes, but I wanted to just get the whole session done asap so I could get out of that heat. So maybe not the smartest thing in the world and shins felt it a bit more than normal but didn't want to use the spikes for the session, so it had to be the warm up instead.

Session was quick. Just 2x200m with a 2 minute break (using flats). Coach timed me at 29 and 28. Maybe I held back a bit too much on the first one. Overall the times are slower than what I can do, but given the heat and the fact I was doing them on my own (wasn't ready to go when the others were) they aint too bad at all.

Tough day today. Extreme heat and then moving house this evening.

Tennis on Saturday and then my race on Sunday so good weekend to look forward to after a stressful week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    For my warm up strides I did them in my spikes so I could get a few runs in my new 7mm spikes before my race on Sunday. Maybe I should have done a few strides in flats before doing them in spikes, but I wanted to just get the whole session done asap so I could get out of that heat. So maybe not the smartest thing in the world and shins felt it a bit more than normal but didn't want to use the spikes for the session, so it had to be the warm up instead.

Do they allow 7mm spikes on the tracks there? Most tracks specify max 5mm, but of course no one checks and you would be ok as long as they were not 12mm. Any danger you lose traction with longer spikes on a hard surface?

57.26 for 400m today at the high velocity meet coming 3rd in my heat. Exactly 1 second slower than my PB from 2 weeks ago on the same track, in similar conditions, against some of the same guys. Disappointing. Felt I ran decent and was almost the exact same gap behind the guy who beat me the last time, but he ended up being a full second down aswell. I don't expect to PB every week but that was a bit too slow to be satisfied with. Anyway, onwards and upwards to the champs next weekend.
    dna_leri wrote: »

Do they allow 7mm spikes on the tracks there? Most tracks specify max 5mm, but of course no one checks and you would be ok as long as they were not 12mm. Any danger you lose traction with longer spikes on a hard surface?

Max is supposed to be 6mm but they never check. Everyone down here has been recommending 7mm over 5mm. Coach, gym coach, other athletes. Could be a coincidence that my first race with new spikes was a slower one, but what you said I was actually thinking. But more than likely its just because I made a balls of the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

57.26 for 400m today at the high velocity meet coming 3rd in my heat. Exactly 1 second slower than my PB from 2 weeks ago on the same track, in similar conditions, against some of the same guys. Disappointing. Felt I ran decent and was almost the exact same gap behind the guy who beat me the last time, but he ended up being a full second down aswell. I don't expect to PB every week but that was a bit too slow to be satisfied with. Anyway, onwards and upwards to the champs next weekend.

Max is supposed to be 6mm but they never check. Everyone down here has been recommending 7mm over 5mm. Coach, gym coach, other athletes. Could be a coincidence that my first race with new spikes was a slower one, but what you said I was actually thinking. But more than likely its just because I made a balls of the race.

Maybe fatigue? You have been busy lately and the fact that you had 2 massive PBs recently must factor on energy levels..

RandyMann wrote: »
    Maybe fatigue? You have been busy lately and the fact that you had 2 massive PBs recently must factor on energy levels..

I hope that was the reason but a part of me is worried that the spikes played a part. It's only 6 days until Country Champs and now I have to do some thinking on whether I will persist with the new 7mm spikes or just put the old ones back in.

What length and type of spikes do you use?

I hope that was the reason but a part of me is worried that the spikes played a part. It's only 6 days until Country Champs and now I have to do some thinking on whether I will persist with the new 7mm spikes or just put the old ones back in.

Thats a good question as I am a bit puzzled about it myself. Check out this link for my sprint spikes, you can enlarge/zoom in on the image. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ASW1873/ If you measure from the sole of the shoe to the tip of the spike, it is 7mm. The actual spike has a sharp bit but then it widens out at the base to a sort of flat rectangular shape. If you just measure the sharp, pointy bit, it is 5mm.
    I usually only wear these spikes for racing and I wear 5mm middle distance for training. I will probably use the sprint spikes next week in training to get used to them before next weekend.

• Advertisement

Thats a good question as I am a bit puzzled about it myself. Check out this link for my sprint spikes, you can enlarge/zoom in on the image. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ASW1873/ If you measure from the sole of the shoe to the tip of the spike, it is 7mm. The actual spike has a sharp bit but then it widens out at the base to a sort of flat rectangular shape. If you just measure the sharp, pointy bit, it is 5mm.
    I usually only wear these spikes for racing and I wear 5mm middle distance for training. I will probably use the sprint spikes next week in training to get used to them before next weekend.

They look like Christmas tree spikes.

I'm thinking of just putting back in the spikes I have been using for the last 12 months so I don't have to think about it anymore. Stupid of me to change spikes half way through the season. Even if it didn't make a difference, it has now gotten into my head! I feel like I may have wasted a race, and there's not many left.

Just did a bit of research and the spikes I use for racing are called christmas tree spikes..does that make any sense?
    The following is an extract from wikipedia.

While most spikes are between 3/16 inch (5 mm) and 1/2 inch (12 mm) long, the most common being 1/4 inch (6 mm), there are a number of specialty lengths, as well as minimal "blank" spikes used to cover a spike well. Spikes are generally metal or ceramic and come in three main types: the pyramid, the needle (pin), and the compression tier (Christmas tree). Pyramids are conical spikes that taper to a sharp point. They normally have a maximum diameter nearly equal to the diameter of the threads of the spike. Needles also have a sharp point, but a thinner cone diameter. The purpose of each is to derive traction by penetrating the track surface. Some tracks do not allow pin spikes and limit the length of pyramid spikes to minimize damage to the track. The alternate variant for synthetic tracks is the Christmas tree spike. It uses a terraced cone shape with a flat end to compress rather than penetrate the track below it and use the track's reaction force to return energy to the runner, increasing the runner's speed. It also reduces wear on the track and is less injurious to other runners in the event being "spiked."

They look like Christmas tree spikes.

I'm thinking of just putting back in the spikes I have been using for the last 12 months so I don't have to think about it anymore. Stupid of me to change spikes half way through the season. Even if it didn't make a difference, it has now gotten into my head! I feel like I may have wasted a race, and there's not many left.

Sorry just saw your post above. Yeah go back to the old spikes you were using. If it wasnt broke, dont fix it. You dont need any distraction at this stage.
    How many races left?

Sorry just saw your post above. Yeah go back to the old spikes you were using. If it wasnt broke, dont fix it. You dont need any distraction at this stage.
    How many races left?

Felt like I was in the shape to run 55 today, so to see a 57 is a head scratcher. The fact I had new spikes in makes me question them at least, and once there's doubts there that's not a good thing, so may be best to stop fiddling with what was working.

With regards 400m there's not many left now.

1) Vic Country Champs (next Saturday)
    2) Vic Decathlon (3 weeks time)
    3) Shield Final (4 weeks time) but it looks like my club wont qualify now.
    4) High Velocity (4 and a half weeks time), but with Vic Champs not far away this one will fill up and 56 prob wont get me a lane
    5) Vic Champs (6 weeks time)

So definitely 3, and a small chance of 4 more races. The Decathlon one is at the end of a long day though so not the one with best PB potential perhaps.

Felt like I was in the shape to run 55 today, so to see a 57 is a head scratcher. The fact I had new spikes in makes me question them at least, and once there's doubts there that's not a good thing, so may be best to stop fiddling with what was working.

With regards 400m there's not many left now.

1) Vic Country Champs (next Saturday)
    2) Vic Decathlon (3 weeks time)
    3) Shield Final (4 weeks time) but it looks like my club wont qualify now.
    4) High Velocity (4 and a half weeks time), but with Vic Champs not far away this one will fill up and 56 prob wont get me a lane
    5) Vic Champs (6 weeks time)

So definitely 3, and a small chance of 4 more races. The Decathlon one is at the end of a long day though so not the one with best PB potential perhaps.

It might be an idea to not go too intensive in the leg weights during race week. If you are going to do them, do less reps at least as I think it may have a bearing...

It might be an idea to not go too intensive in the leg weights during race week. If you are going to do them, do less reps at least as I think it may have a bearing...

Yeh I'm going to have an easier week of training this week so I am ready for Saturday. I'll be the only one in the group running at the Countries (I'm the only one who bothers to source out non AV Shield races) and with no 400m race for the others I know the coach is going to plan a hard week, so I am going to have to tell him to plan something different for me as this is one of my goal races.

Forgot to say, I'll do up a small race report probably tomorrow. Wasn't really in the mood to do one up this evening. Think I'd like to forget about today as much as possible, put my old spikes back, and just focus on next weekend.

It was back to High Velocity this weekend for another 400m. The AV Shield was taking place on Saturday on the new track in Nunawading but I gave that a miss in favour of my annual visit to Melbourne Park for middle Saturday of the Australian Open tennis (brilliant experience as always!). Stayed away from the booze so I would be in good nick for Sunday, but I was sitting in the sun for 9 hours straight on Show Court 2.

Round 4 of High Velocity was supposed to take place in Sandringham but got moved at the last minute to Knox, the same track where I set my 56.26 PB 2 weeks previous.

Conditions were pretty nice. High 20s, a reasonable breeze but not as strong as the last day, no clouds in the sky.

This was my first race with the new 7mm pyramid spikes (had been using 5mm pin spikes up to now), but I didn’t even think about it once. I had assumed they would make me go faster and didn’t give it another moment’s thought.

400m:

I was in the second of 2 heats, the slower one. 5 were in the heat and of the other 4, 2 I raced against 2 weeks ago: the guy who just pipped me to victory, and the 12-13 year old kid who ran 59.3.

A Sandringham athlete who said he was in 58 shape was drawn in lane 3, the Doncaster guy who beat me last time in 4, another athlete who I overheard say he was looking for 55/54ish in 5, myself in 6 and the kid in 7. I was hoping for an inside lane for a change so I could see the field, rather than have them inevitably come up on me in the back straight but no such luck at all. Same lane as the last day.

Gun went off and I felt like I didn’t power the first 60 the way I should have. The guy in lane 5 was ahead of me in no time. I cruised down the back straight and slowly ate up the stagger on the kid outside me which I eventually ate up after about 160m. The Doncaster guy went past me after around 120m, but then I rallied down the backstraight to take the stagger that he had eaten on me back off him. With 200 to go and the gap between first and the 2 of us has stopped growing. I am closer to the Doncaster guy at this stage this time than I was last time. I push to an all out sprint. The blisters are developing again (must be something to do with that track) and as I enter the straight I’m about 10m down on the leader and around 3m behind the Doncaster guy. But unlike the last day he didn’t tire as much in the home straight (or else I wasn’t as strong) and I could reel him in much in the last 80m. I crossed the line just behind him and saw this as a good omen. He felt he had gone well so I had myself convinced I PB’ed.

So when I saw the results I was very disappointed. The winner only ran 55.8ish, with the Doncaster guy in 56.9 (a full second slower than his time 2 weeks ago) and myself in 3rd in 57.26, a full second behind my PB from 2 weeks ago. The kid ran 58.6, a good 7 tenths faster than last time and the Sandringham guy brought up the rear with a 59.

I can’t say I am happy with the result. I don’t expect to PB every day, but 1 second slower is too much. Maybe the new spikes made a difference but hardly that much. Despite that I now have it in my head so from a mental point of view it might be best to revert back to the olds ones and finish the season in them. One less thing to be thinking about.

I had a heavy week of training so maybe my body wasn’t quite there. Not sure what positives are to be taken from it overall. It’s my 3rd fastest time ever. Suppose that would be one, and it’s a good tune up run ahead of the championships on Saturday. Time to move on and get myself ready for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Did you get to the tennis in the end? I've been following it here, seems to only really have got going today (Sunday).

pconn062 wrote: »
    Did you get to the tennis in the end? I've been following it here, seems to only really have got going today (Sunday).

Yeh I went after work on the Monday. Wandered around the courts for awhile and then stayed for the Baghdatis match which was an epic. At midnight it was only entering a 5th set and had to leave because of work the next day. The Cypriot/ Greek fans know how to support their player that’s for sure. Went for the whole day on Saturday and got some good matches. A 5 setter between Cillic and Seppi and then a pretty lively atmosphere for the Laura Robson game. I’d put tennis a close second to athletics in terms of live sport, and probably first in terms of craic. Would highly recommend it to anyone coming out here, or in London, NYC or Paris.

Was in such a pisser about my race yesterday I barely paid attention to the Djokavic V Wawrinka match and spent the entire evening reading up on spikes instead of watching an epic. Went to bed at midnight, and missed a marathon final set. Oh how I am regretting that now. Matches like that should never be missed!

With Country Champs just 5 days away I opted for an easier gym session this evening. No deadlifts, and significantly less leg presses and box squats:

1) Bench Press: 8 x 135.5lbs, 8 x 145.5lbs, 8 x 152lbs (up from 7), 5 x 157.5lbs (up from 4). Very happy with this.

2) Leg Press: 3 x 5 @ 386lbs, down from 3 x 8 at same weight

3) Box Squats: 2 x 8 @ 42.5kg, down from 4 x 10 at same weight

4) Goodmornings: 2 x 15 @ 30kg

5) Body twists: 50 @ 10kg

6) Crunches: 50

7) Side sit-ups: 20 on each side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yeh I went after work on the Monday. Wandered around the courts for awhile and then stayed for the Baghdatis match which was an epic. At midnight it was only entering a 5th set and had to leave because of work the next day. The Cypriot/ Greek fans know how to support their player that’s for sure. Went for the whole day on Saturday and got some good matches. A 5 setter between Cillic and Seppi and then a pretty lively atmosphere for the Laura Robson game. I’d put tennis a close second to athletics in terms of live sport, and probably first in terms of craic. Would highly recommend it to anyone coming out here, or in London, NYC or Paris.

Was in such a pisser about my race yesterday I barely paid attention to the Djokavic V Wawrinka match and spent the entire evening reading up on spikes instead of watching an epic. Went to bed at midnight, and missed a marathon final set. Oh how I am regretting that now. Matches like that should never be missed!

Djokovic v Wawrinka was a classic, shame Stan couldn't sneak it in the end. Love the tennis myself, great sport to watch. Good luck with the rest of the season, put the bad race behind you now and move on. During the summer I ran a couple of 18.40 5k's in quick succession and went to Bohermeen expecting a big PB, blew up and ran 18.50. A few weeks later I went to a small race with no expectations and ran 18.20. The 57 is still a good run and will stand to you in future races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Just saw your report. I really wouldnt put it down to the spikes to lose that kinda time. Tbh I would say sitting in the sun for 9 hours the day before a race would do way more damage. Dust yourself off and dont get too worried about it. Track seasons are long so there are always a few more chances at it sure look at Colvert last year chasing times anything can happen on any given day try not to get too bogged down with each one

Had hoped for an easy session today with Country Champs this weekend but the coach was having none of it, and he was 100% correct. I was wanting to be way too cautious and he reminded me it is only Tuesday. Good call on his part and I got on with the session that was planned.

3x300m with 10 minute recoveries between each session. Not flat out but not too far off was the intention. The plan was to run the 3 at the same time.

My times were:

43-43-46

Happy with the first 2 given that I was comfortable enough and kept a bit in reserve, but by the time the 3rd came around I was knackered. Funny that the last one didn't actually feel as slow as it was but probably because I was working harder by the end.

Clubmate who ran them with me went 41-41-43, though my guess would be high 41 because he wasn't 2 seconds ahead of me for the first 2. I wasn't that far behind. But for the last one I was a fair bit down on him. We were both in flats.

Impressive running from him. My 400 time is currently a few tenths faster than his this season, and this weekend I ran about a half second quicker than him, but this session indicates a return to form. Bit disappointed I wasn't a bit closer to him, particularly on the last rep.

Gym this eve. Completely identical to Monday's session. Track tomorrow and massage on Friday.

Another hot one today at around 36 degrees but thankfully the cloud came over as I started my session so it didn't feel too bad.

Session was 5 x 120m (60-20-40) with 3 of the others but I wasn't ready for the first one, and after 4 I called it quits as my legs have been feeling heavy today and I didn't see the benefit in doing the last one with a race on Saturday. Felt I ran the 4 reps pretty well and wasn't too far down on a couple of the others.

Massage tomorrow. Much needed.

Massage came at the right time. My lower body has been aching for the last 2 days, in numerous different spots. Feel better now but still aches down the left leg.

Had planned to get everything in order this evening for my trip to Geelong tomorrow morning and then disaster happened. I was taking out the 7mm spikes so I could put back in my old ones only to discover that one of the 7mm spikes would not come out! It was stripped already! Unbelieveable!! So now I had, in my left shoe, 1 spike significantly bigger than the rest! Nothing would take it out, so the only option was to hammer it down as much as I could so that it wouldn't be TOO much higher than the others. I was smacking away for a good hour or two at it, on and off while watching the tennis, and I managed to get it down to about 5-6mm in height, with the tip being a bit flat now, rather than spikey, and still a good 2mm higher than the rest. Not much more I can do with it now. It's located in the left shoe, about mid way up, on the right side. I can't imagine it would make a difference (at least I hope it wont) but what can you do but laugh at this! I'm having no luck with these spikes! Every time I touch them something happens it seems! Not the best way to spend the evening before a big race. Although I have to say I was pleased with how I didn't get too stressed over it.

So my first championship race of the season tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Not sure what to expect. Have put the work in so just need to go out and execute a good race and hope for a bit of luck along the way.

‎56.57 seconds for 400m at the Victorian Country Championships today, to place 10th overall, just 0.31 off the PB. Happy to get close to my best in a championship race. Was 1.22 seconds off a place in the final. Last year I came 13th in 59.44 seconds and was about 5 seconds off the final.

I was in a bit of no man's land in my heat and the other heat would have been better for me with 2 guys in that running 55, while in my heat the next guy in front of me was low 53. Them's the breaks I guess.

200m heats tomorrow at 12.30pm.

‎56.57 seconds for 400m at the Victorian Country Championships today, to place 10th overall, just 0.31 off the PB. Happy to get close to my best in a championship race. Was 1.22 seconds off a place in the final. Last year I came 13th in 59.44 seconds and was about 5 seconds off the final.

I was in a bit of no man's land in my heat and the other heat would have been better for me with 2 guys in that running 55, while in my heat the next guy in front of me was low 53. Them's the breaks I guess.

200m heats tomorrow at 12.30pm.

Solid performance, well done. Do you think you will have enough time to recover for tomorrow?

Solid performance, well done. Do you think you will have enough time to recover for tomorrow?

Hard to know really. I've nothing to lose though as it's not my main event this weekend. Nice tailwinds all day today for the 100s, hopefully the same tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Well done you are having a good season, but you really need some lubricant:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6292221_stripped-spikes-out-spiked-shoes.html

Advertisement