Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

25.75 for 200m today at the Victorian Country Championships with a +1.3 tailwind to finish 11th. Second fastest time ever and just 0.13 off the PB. Happy with that after a tough 400 yesterday.

Two near misses with regards PBs this weekend but definitely a good championships.

Report to come later.

Public holiday today so went to the gym this morning to get it over with for the day. There's something mild going on in my left hip which sort of radiates some discomfort down to my left knee. It's been there for a couple of weeks now. Seems to be something I can train through but it's a bit of an inconvenience. It's particularly noticeable in the hip when doing goodmornings and box squats.

Session today was as follows:

Bench Press: 8 x 145.5lbs, 8 x 152lbs, 5 x 157.5lbs, 2 x 162lbs

Leg Press: 3 x 8 @ 396lbs

Box Squats: 4 x 10 @ 42.5Kg

Goodmornings: 2 x 15 @ 30Kg

Deadlifts: 3 x 6 @ 50Kg

Crunches: 50

Body Twists: 50 @ 10Kg

Side sit-ups: 20 on each side

Coach said that to get to the next level some very hard weeks of training are needed now, and no more freshening up for races. The only thing is there aren't really that many races left to freshen up for now.

In terms of 400m the following is all there seems to be as it is highly unlikely we will make the shield final:

Vic Decathlon - Sat Feb 9th
    High Velocity meet 5 - Thu Feb 21st
    Vic Champs - Fri 1st Mar
    Essendon Track Classic - Mon 25th Mar
    High Velocity meet 6 - Tues 26th Mar

The High Velocity meet 5 will be hard to get into and I reckon I will be only 50/50 to get a lane and I wont find out if I'm running until the day before! The last 2 races are a day apart so I realistically can only do one of them, and they are way after the State Champs, with no races in between to keep me race fit.

I really want that 55 by the end of the season and I know I can do it. Just running out of races now. Hopefully I can nail one of the upcoming ones and that everything goes right on the day. If it does I feel I should get the 55 with a bit to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    There's something mild going on in my left hip which sort of radiates some discomfort down to my left knee.

Sound like a tight ITB. Foam rolling and/or physio would be my advice, I'd say you should mention it to the guy you get your sports massage from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Also, I'd make one of those last 2 races your target, and gear your training towards that. I don't think you necessarily need loads of races to be in peak condition. Bolt doesn't race a huge amount in the build up to major championships, and it's only a 3 week gap anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

There's something mild going on in my left hip which sort of radiates some discomfort down to my left knee.

I have that too but it is an acute pain now. I feel it right in the front crease of my left hip and the pain radiates down the front sometimes to my knee also.
    I know when I did it, I felt something go when I was doing a heavy front squat prob cause I was not warmed up properly.
    It was a big factor racing the 60 yesterday, not so much in the 200 though.

Going to get it looked at tomorrow.....

• Advertisement

Will mention the ITB to him on Wednesday. Hopefully he can make some magic happen and sort it out.

I'd be a bit cautious with regards picking one specific race to target a fast time in, as you just don't know what the weather will be like on any given day. All things being equal the State Champs at the start of March would be the one I would most like to produce my best in as with the exception of the Irish National Champs (which I would love to compete in at some stage) this is the biggest competition I will ever compete in, as Australian National Champs requires a rather lofty entry standard of 49.5!

Will get my report of the Country Champs up tomorrow hopefully.

So the first big event of the season, the Country Championships, held at the John Landy Athletic Field in Geelong. The championships are for all clubs located outside of the metro Melbourne area but Melbourne clubs are welcome to compete, the only condition being that only 4 non-country athletes can make a sprint final, get an extra 3 throws/jumps etc.

My plan for the weekend was the 400m on Saturday and then the 200m on Sunday.

I arrived into Geelong about 2 and a half hours before my race. Enough time to relax and get settled before starting my warm up.

400m:

The weather on Saturday was quite cool. Nowhere near as warm as previous weeks. Quite nippy until the sun came out. By the time of my race though it felt warm, albeit windy, with a tailwind in the homestraight.

There were 22 entrants for the 400m but only 15 signed in. So there were 2 heats, with the top 3 qualifying along with the 2 fastest losers. I was drawn in heat 1 in lane 2, with lane 1 being vacant.

The guy the lane outside me in lane 3 had run 13.2 earlier in the day for 100m so I kind of knew he'd be easy enough to beat. In one of the inside lanes was a decathlon friend of mine who would be in the 51/52 range. There was a 49 second guy in the centre also. The rest I didn't know much about with the exception of a few quick google searches earlier in the week to see what times they were running.

Lane 2 would have been a perfect draw last week but in a race like this I would rather have been in the middle of the fast guys so I can maybe get dragged along more.

Gun went off and I got out well. Drove better than last week. After about 50m I eased the effort level and went into cruise mode. I felt great and the stride felt very economical. Coming up to half way and I pass the guy in lane 3, a bit later than I expected (he eventually died to a 64 which probably explains why!). Coming around the bend I kick to maximum effort and rely on my speed endurance to take me the rest of the way. The 4 guys in the middle look like they are all together in a line from where I am (obviously wasn't the case in reality). I go past a guy in the outside lane coming around the bend, so hitting the homestraight I basically in a race against myself. The top 4 guys are too far ahead of me, at about 25m back, and I am well ahead of the other 2. I finished strong and the gap between me and the guys ahead didn't appear to open any more. Lost a bit of form briefly towards the end but finished strongly overall to finish what felt like about 3 seconds behind the 4th place guy. My race was won in 51.7 but there was an error in the system so we had to wait over an hour for our results.

5th in my heat. I knew I'd be struggling to make the final with that. After seeing the next semi final won in 49 and how close the next 2 were to him, I felt it was unlikely I would nab a final sport and expected to come 9th or 10th.

The results eventually confirmed this. I finished 10th overall with a time of 56.57 seconds, which was 1.22 seconds off the final. I was happy with the time. Yes I wanted a PB, as always, and I'm disappointed to an extent that I didn't manage this, but I have to be pleased that I ran so close to my best in a big meet. My 3rd fastest ever and I have well established myself as a solid 56 runner now with 56.26, 56.28 and 56.57 to my name.

200m:

I stayed the night down in Geelong to save myself hassle. The next day was quite similar in terms of weather. My left hip was feeling tight (since suspected to be ITB related). I knew that today would be tough given the hard race the day before but I had nothing to lose. Conditions were perfect for a PB: Tailwinds, nice fast track, sunny weather.

I did my warm up as usual, then for some unknown reason they call the men's open 200m 15 minutes early, and start calling out the first heat line up. I naturally freak out and leg it from where I was warming up over to the start line. They told me to relax and take all the time I need, that I am in heat 2, and they wont go without me. There were no men's under 20 and over 50 heats so they were ahead of schedule. So basically the entire of my heat got held up a good 5 minutes until I was ready. I didn't feel bad about this though and rightfully took what time I needed to compose myself, do a couple more strides and get focused. They really should stick with the timetable. Otherwise they just mess with people's plans!!

Anyway once I toed the line that was all out of my head. I was in lane 5, with the guy I had demolished in the 400 the previous day in lane 8. I decided to use him as a gauge and expected to be past him quickly. In the lane outside me was the State high hurdles champion. Overall I expected to be less competitive here than in the 400 but felt ready for a good run.

Gun went off and I drove out well, keeping the head down. I noticed the guy on my inside come up and eat the stagger on me, and getting very close to me in the process. He must have been running on the outside of his lane and me close to the inside of mine. Lifted my head to find myself down on everyone, except the guy in lane 8 who I only passed entering the straight. I found this odd, but once I saw his time of 26.8 this wasn't surprising. I'm about 5m down on the guy inside me at this point but start to really eat into that margin. I'm finishing very well as always and closing all the time. A guy in lane 7 who was right at the front did sometyhing to his hamstring and slowed up and I went past. I tried hard to get past the guy in lane 4 but he got me in the end by about a metre.

My time was 25.75 seconds with a +1.3 m/s tailwind, not as strong as some other races. This was just 0.13 off my PB so I am pretty happy with this. Would have liked a PB but maybe it was asking a lot just 21 hours after the 400m. I finished in 11th out of 15, 1.5 seconds off the final.

Overall a very satisfactory weekend, but not without a hint of what could have been.

Coach said to me this evening that he doesn't particularly care about the 200m race on Saturday so there will be no easing up this week in preparation for it. Tough sessions in store this week.

This evening was 6x150m with 5 minute rests. I didn't time them. Focused on moving as fast as possible and on keeping my form right. I was a bit late to the track so wasn't ready when the others started. When I did my first rep 2 of the guys had already done 4 so I only got my first 2 with them. My next 3 were with one of the girls who is probably only in 30 second shape. I'd give her a bit of a head start so I would have somebody to chase down. My last rep was then on my own. Was pretty tired at the end of it all. Weather was perfect though. Around 22, nice cool breeze and sunny. More of that on training days please.

Weekly massage this evening. Got him to do some work on the left ITB. He spent a few minutes on it which were quite painful and then left it at that, so not to do too much too soon. Don't feel any real difference after, for better or worse. I guess staying on top of it is the main thing at this stage and hopefully after a few more massages it will get better.

Gym session straight after which maybe isn't the best medicine for the ITB but training cant stop. Exact same session as Monday except the following changes:

Box Squats: 4 x 10 @ 45kg, up from 42.5kg
    Bench Press: 8 x 145.5lbs, 8 x 152lbs, 6 x 157.5lbs (up from 5), 2 x 162lbs

Absolutely miserable evening in Melbourne. Rain pouring down. The first proper rainy day Melbourne has got this summer I think. Got absolutely drenched during my session. I was completely unprepared for it and didn't have suitable clothing. It was real Irish weather. I've been struggling with homesickness but days like this go some way towards easing it a bit. The thoughts of doing sessions in that weather all year around is not nice (though a lot easier if prepared for it). Makes me realise how good I have it weather wise with regards training. Nothwithstanding the disgusting hot days I've been running in great sprint conditions for most of the summer.

Anyway coach said to me he's not interested in my time on Saturday. Told me to do 3x200m hard at around 95% with 200m walk break (probably around 2 and a half minutes). I wanted to get out of the rain so rushed my warm up so I could run with the rest. A mixture of middle distance and sprinters this evening.

First rep wasn't the best, perhaps as a result of a quicker warm up. Second rep was better and I crossed the line just ahead of one guy who timed himself at 28.6. Given I was wearing flats on a wet track that wasn't too bad. Last rep I could feel the lactic acid in the legs but battled through to finish not too far behind the faster guys.

The middle distance runners wanted to jog the 200m recovery instead of walk, so they ditched us after the second rep. They didn't like the longer rests and one remarked "bloody sprinters" when she looked around and saw a few of the guys a good 30m behind her on our walk back. :)

Coach said afterwards that a good training session for me on Saturday is to do a 200m and then an 800m. He said it's something to consider. I hadn't thought about it, and I wasn't too enthusiastic about it when he said it, but I will give it some thought for sure. Depends how I'm feeling I guess.

• Advertisement

26.11 for 200m today into a -0.8 headwind. A good bit down on my recent performances which is disappointing. Though the wind seemed to be Into my face coming around the bend so not ideal conditions.

Then ran 2:23.8 for 800m in racing flats, a big PB by 4 seconds. Pretty delighted with that. Still not a great time but semi respectable now. Came 2nd in my heat and beat a training partner of mine by over 5 seconds. He's around the same as me over 400m, and went 24.6 for 200m today. Interesting result, though I personally wasn't surprised to beat him.

Threw 6.21m in the shot putt which I think is my 2nd best ever (will have to double check). Then I did a high jump to get some practice in ahead of next week's decathlon, but the starting height was 1.35m for this particular group, and they weren't flexible with it, so I NH'ed all 3 attempts. Didn't have a hope clearing it and not sure I gained much ahead of next week. Did provide some comedy to others though which is always nice.

Report to come tomorrow.

First time this season I have done a session the day after a race. Was out til all hours last night for the rugby so there was no way I was going to get up for a 9.30am session. So I got my coach to tell me what the session is and I would go do it myself in the afternoon.

Barely drank all of January, and had 5 pints last night so was a bit hungover today and tired. Body also a bit fatigued from yesterday's race. So when I heard the session I wasn't too thrilled. 500-400-300 with 12 minute recoveries. He said to do the 500 in 80 seconds, the 400 in 63/64 seconds and then whatever I have left for the 300.

Went down to Melbourne Uni track to do the session, first time I have been there since last September's momentous beer mile. For the 500 I ran like I would run an 800, sort of flat footed. I haven't trained my body to run on the balls of my feet for any more than 1 lap so I wasn't taking any chances. All 3 reps were done in flats, as always.

The 500 was bloody tough and managed it in 82 seconds, which is 2:11 800m pace. I went easier on the 400 trying to hit the times suggested, and probably only went at 85% but only managed 65. Then for the 300 I got 47. Not sure what it is about that track but I never record fast times there. The bend is extremely tight which could have something to do with it. It could also do with a resurface, with actual holes developing in part of the track. Was very windy out there today also.

Anyway, was delighted with the session. First time I have ever done that session and it was very tough, so I'm sure it will stand to me.

Will do up my report of yesterday's meet very soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just saw your time in the 10 round number thread. Didn't realise you'd nabbed that sub 58, sign that I don't read logs anymore. Serious improvement, well done.

The 12th and final round of the AV Shield held at Lakeside Stadium at Albert Park. A final chance for all clubs in all divisions to grab that coveted spot in the AV Shield Final, the highlight of the Victorian inter-club athletics calender.

Going into the final round Richmond were in 3rd place of Division 2, just 1 point adrift of Old Xaverians in 2nd place with only the top 2 teams claiming a spot in the finals. We had been in second all year long and at one point held around a 6-7 point lead over 3rd place but lack of depth has caught up on us as the stronger clubs have started getting their better athletes available and we haven't been able to compete.

Despite everybody's best efforts we were unable to overhaul them in round 12 and so we won't be represented in the Shield Final, for either men or for women which is a great shame. As a result in 2 weeks time I will have a weekend off racing.

From a personal point of view Round 12 was about the 200m and 800m.

200m:

Lanes 1 and 2 were being used for the women's 800 so there were 6 of us in my heat and I was in lane 5. I knew nothing at all about my opponents. As always at Albert Park there was a wind, which more often than not is a headwind in the straight given the position of the finish line in relation to the lake and sea (whoever designed that aspect of the stadium made a balls of it altogether!).

Gun went off and I got out ok. Could have been better. Don't think it was as crisp as last weekend. 2 guys inside me eat up the stagger on me quickly and a guy outside me is stretching away from me. Could feel the wind in my face coming around the bend which was reasonably strong. Felt that from 50-100m I felt very relaxed, maybe even too relaxed. Ate up the stagger on a guy outside me coming off the bend and entered the straight in 4th place, well down on the others. My final 80 or so felt great though and I closed on those ahead of me but never really seriously threatened to catch any of them and finished about 6 tenths down on the guy in 3rd.

Was disappointed when I saw my time of 26.11 seconds with a -0.8 m/s headwind. This was 0.49 down on my PB and 0.36 down on last week. However there was a 2.0 m/s differential between this race and the other 2, so the gap in reality was about 2 tenths less. When thinking about it more there was no way that -0.8 reading was reflective of what the wind was really like as it was into my face coming around the bend, so it must have been more of a cross wind than a pure headwind in the straight. My coach said that my time was worth a PB to me. That's all he said on the matter. Another guy I know said it was the best he had ever seen me run (he hasn't seen all my races though) and that I looked strong and held my form right to the end. So I guess on reflection it was a good run. Can't control the weather unfortunately.

With regards the 200m there may not be many more this season. I plan to compete at that distance at the State Champs but only if it is after the 400m. Besides that there is currently no other 200 in my calender for the rest of the season but that could change.

800m:

My coach suggested on Thursday for me to do the 800 as a form of training. This planted the seed, and with one of training partners doing it I thought I may aswell jump in his race. He had run 24.6 earlier in the day for 200m, into a headwind, a very impressive performance. However I've always found I have better endurance than him, and our 400s are therefore almost identical this year (with me having a slight quarter of a second lead). I was in no doubt I would beat him over 800m.

Unlike the 200m where I knew nobody, in my 800m heat I knew a fair few. Sharing lane 2 with me was a club mate of mine who I always beat over 800m, despite him having a slightly better PB than me. A mate of mine from Collingwood was in lane 3. He told me beforehand he was going to do none of the work and just sit on my shoulder and outkick me. :) He's pretty talented but doesn't really push himself and really just does athletics for the pure fun of it, and does almost every event. Then there was my training partner in lane 6.

First 100m I went out quick and then settled. Coming into lane 1 I am in 3rd place with my mate from Collingwood in the lead. Seeing fairly quickly that he wasn't interested in making much of a pace of things I went past him and into the lead after 180m and I took up the pace. First time in my life I've ever been in the lead doing the work in a distance race. Behind me were 4 others sticking very closely to me with my mate literally on my shoulder almost in lane 2. This felt like a real race. Like one of those ones you see on Eurosport! :) I felt like Paul Tergat with Haile just sitting on me waiting to pounce.

Jokes aside, I was feeling pretty comfortable and hit the bell at around 70 seconds. Now was the time to push on and shake the others off. With about 300m to go my mate goes past me easily, but upon a quick glance behind me I see a reasonable gap has opened on the rest. I have shaken them off. From now on it is digging deep and trying to stay as close to my mate as possible. He's moving away easily from me, but so am I from the rest. I push as hard as I can and finish about 20m down in second place.

My time was 2:23.8 which was a PB by 3.8 seconds, and a season's best by 4.6 seconds. I finished 5.2 seconds ahead of my training partner which was satisfying, and 5.4 seconds ahead of my other club mate.

Of course this time is nothing special and is way off my 400 time but I don't expect it to be near to that. I don't train specifically for 800 so I can't be expecting 2:10 or whatever. Coach said that it was a very good workout for me. I'd love to have one crack at sub 2:20 at the end of the season, either in a race or a time trial. An Irish mate of mine over here who is a fairly legit runner said he'd be happy to pace me.

Shot Putt:

With decathlon just one week away I opted for another go at the shot putt to get some valuable practice in. My first attempt was 6.00 and my second was a poor 5.7x. However I improved with my 3rd attempt to a 6.21m which is my second best throw ever. PB is 6.51m which hopefully I can better next week when it really matters.

High Jump:

There was just one high jump competition left for the day so I stuck my name down for a bit of practice for next week. However the starting height was 1.35m and despite my begging they would not change this. I knew I had no hope of clearing it as my PB is 1.26m (not that I do this often). I gave it a shot but it was a waste of time. I didnt get close and I really gained nothing from the experience ahead of next week.

So the AV Shield is over for this season. How those 12 rounds have flown. In total I managed to compete in 10 of them, and have done 4 100s, 6 200s, 4 400s, 4 800s, 2 4x100s, 4 shot putts, and a few 4x400s, so I know I have done my bit for the club.

Next weekend is Victorian Open Decathlon Championships, probably the best weekend on the AV calender.

Cut out the core work and half of my box squats as I was in a bit of a rush to meet people for dinner. The session was a tough one nonetheless. Quality over quantity.

Bench Press: 8 x 145lbs, 8 x 152lbs, 6 x 157lbs, 2 x 162lbs

Leg Press: 3 x 8 @ 406lbs, up 10lbs from the last day and first time ever over 400lbs!

Box Squats: 2 x 10 @ 45kg

Goodmornings: 2 x 15 @ 30kg

Deadlifts: 3 x 6 @ 50kg

Will go much easier for my Wednesday gym session with the decathlon this weekend.

Funny with all the talk on the 10 round numbers thread yesterday with regards aerobic work for 400 runners, the coach happened to have us in with the middle distance guys this evening. They were doing 5x300m off 4 minute recoveries. I was told to do the first 2 and last 2, therefore giving me close to a 9 minute recovery at half way.

My times were:

43-44-47-47

Extremely tough session especially in 30 degrees, but felt good once it was done. I did the first one a bit fast and after that sort of planned to just stay close to our 2:10 girl as I reckoned she'd have far more experience with this sort of session and how to pace. Her times were around 43 (a few metres behind me)-43-43-46-46. The last 2 reps I was beating a guy who has run 2:05 this year (beat him on the first rep also), though it must be remembered that I had one rep less than most of these guys.

So it's been a week and a half of tough training since Country Champs but with Decathlon this weekend the next few days will be very easy now.

Weekly massage followed by a lighter gym session today. Did the following:

Bench Press: 8 x 145lbs, 8 x 152lbs, 7 x 157lbs (up from 6), 4 x 162lbs (up from 2)

Leg Press: 2 x 5 @ 416lbs (up from 406lbs), planned to do 3 x 5 at 406lbs but after one set of 5 realised I had put the wrong weights on and was pushing heavier than I planned so only did 2 as a result.

Goodmornings: 2 x 15 @ 30kg

Box Squats: 2 x 8 @ 45kg

Crunches: 1 x 50

Side sit-ups: 1 x 20 on each side

After a lot of aerobic speed endurance stuff lately it was nice to have a speed session this evening. 6 x 60m with plenty of rest in between. Was doing them on my own as had to stay back late at work this evening. Focused on technique: powering out hard, lifting the knees, pumping the arms, and keeping the head down. Felt pretty good for most of the reps. The last one in particular felt good and had my head down for 35m, while the others were around 30m.

This weekend I have a set of 10 exams. A couple of them I have studied very hard for and have not missed a lecture all year (100m, 400m), others I haven't done any preparation for, but there's some cross over from the previously mentioned syllabus which will sort of get me by (Long Jump with regards speed on the track, Discus with regards strength work in gym). There is of course a subject which I haven't studied for but have attended regular lectures (Shot Putt), and then there's the one which has tough material, but the marking is extremely lenient that I should still score well despite very little prep work (1500m), while another I will be able to scribble some sort of content down onto the paper (High Jump). However, despite all this there remains a few subjects which I haven't opened a book for and am therefore royally screwed (Hurdles, Pole Vault, Javelin).

Let the games begin!

With the State Decathlon Champs in just 4 weeks time I thought for a bit of fun I would do up a bit of a target for the event. The main reason for doing it is to get another 400m race in before State Champs in March, but also because it’s incredible fun. And once you are taking part you want to do as well as you can, even in the events I don’t train for. So I have set myself a modest but challenging target of 2500 points, which would be a significant improvement on my 2290 from last year.

235687.PNG

100m: Bit conservative here. It would be a small PB, but you can never know what the wind will be like so best to be cautious.

Long Jump: Haven’t done the event all year. Jumped 4.32m last year. I’m faster and stronger now, so even without any technical improvements or any practice a 4.28m should be well doable.

Shot Putt: PB is 6.51m, but that was a bit of a freak. Next best is 6.02m so basing my target of 6.18m on that.

High Jump: Haven’t done this since September but I jumped 1.26m in appalling conditions that day so 1.28m should be realistic.

400m: Have predicted for 55.8. I expect to be in the 55’s by then, but with the event being at the end of a long day that’s bound to have an effect so I’ve chosen a high 55 here.

Hurdles: Won’t be attempting them, and even if I finished my time would be so slow I would receive zero points. No worth it.

Discus: Have thrown 15m before so no reason why I cant do it again.

Pole Vault: Will give it a shot but am hopeless at this.

Javelin: Have thrown 13m the first time I did it. Only 10m the other 2 times. Am fairly useless at this so modest target.

1500m: Finished the decath in 5:28 last year. Much fitter this year so 5:20 is realistic.

What sort of training will I be doing? Well I’m not taking the eyes off the main prize so very little. My training will cover me for 100m and 400m completely. The few 800s I have done and general fitness will get me through 1500m. All my gym work will hopefully help me somewhat towards the rest, and I will do another 2 shot putt’s at the Shield. But besides that I probably wont do any specific stuff for other events til Country Champs are over. Once they are done I may ask somebody to give me a crash course on the javelin and discuss, and it would be good to practice the high jump. All of this after my normal training of course. It’s just a bit of fun and something different in the end of the day. But I will come back to this post as reference closer to the time.

With decathlon champs tomorrow I thought I would dig up this post from a month or so ago and modify it slightly.

100m: If I get fair conditions I feel I am in the shape to run 12:7x. Why not? I'm in way better shape since my 12.92 which was my last 100m race, 2 months ago (seems like an age now). Expected points approx 500

Long Jump: I haven't done it all year but with my improved speed I should be able to consolidate last years performance of 4.32m. Expected points approx 250

Shot Putt: 6.21m last week. Getting better with every competition this season. Hopefully can smash out a PB tomorrow (current PB is 6.51m). Expected points approx 250

High Jump: Last week I did a comp starting at 1.35m which was a waste of time. PB is 1.26m, so will be starting at 1.10m to get a feel for it. Hopefully go close to 1.30m.Expected points approx 250

400m: Consistently at low-mid 56 now, so would expect that again. Probably in 55 shape now I believe, but 9 hours at the track and 4 events beforehand may have a bearing. Would be delighted with any sort of PB tomorrow and do believe I can do it. Expected points approx 550

Day 1 expected points: Approx 1800

110m Hurdles: I haven't attempted these before, and with Vic Champs in just 3 weeks I won't be engaging in such tomfoolery on Sunday. Expected points approx 0

Discus: Another event I haven't done in 12 months. I'm so much stronger now than I was then so I would expect an improvement on my 14.17m last year. Expected points approx 200

Pole Vault: I really really want to clear just one height, the lowest which is 1.50m which would score me around 50 points. But I haven't touched a pole vault in a year so this can only be seen as a bonus if it happens. I have cleared 1.75m before in practice (18 months ago) but in competition after 7 events is a different story. Expected points approx 0

Javelin: This event is one of my worst. I always seem to foul by having the wrong end hit the ground first. I tend to look foolish attempting this, when you've got people lobbing it 50m effortlessly without much of a run up. I only managed around 10m last year, but I did 13m before so I should target that at least. Expected points approx 50

1500m: I definitely think the 1500 target is a bit soft now given my 2:23 800m last week. 5:10 would be a better target, although hard to know how the body will react after 9 events. I hope to be ahead of a few of the better decathletes in this this year, as last year I disappointingly was way down in 5:28. Very lenient with points here so a great chance to boost my tally.Expected points approx 500

Day 2 expected points: Approx 750

Total Expected points: Approx 2550 (Lets make the overall target 2600 so)

Obviously the 400m and 100m are the priority events, but this is a fine competition with great people so the event will be treated with the utmost respect. There will be no tanking the high jump etc in prep for the 400m. There will be more 400m races but there's only one Vic Decathlon, the most enjoyable weekend on the calender. The only reason I am tanking the hurdles is simply because I can't do them and don't want an injury.

The next couple of days will no doubt be fun, painful and satisfying, and no doubt new friendships will be made just like last year. Will report all the thrills and spills over the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

400m: Consistently at low-mid 56 now, so would expect that again. Probably in 55 shape now I believe, but 9 hours at the track and 4 events beforehand may have a bearing. Would be delighted with any sort of PB tomorrow and do believe I can do it. Expected points approx 550

A PB would be a great achievement after a full day at the track. With the improvements you've been showing over the last few months, there's no reason you can't do it though. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Good luck tomorrow, a hard days work for sure...

Very good first day of Victorian Decathlon Champs. 12.82 for 100m (499 points) into a -0.7m/s headwind, a PB by 0.10, but in reality by a lot more given the headwind.

Then a PB in the long jump of 4.40m (273 points), a somewhat disappointing shot putt of 6.18m (259 points) and an unsatisfying high jump of 1.22m (200 points).

Finally a 56.39 for 400m (544 points) which was just 0.13 off my PB. Given the fact I was stuffed after the first 4 events, lacking in energy during the warm up, and got muscle spasms in my right calf 3-4 times during the race, that is possibly the best race I have ever run. This is the 3rd time I have raced a particular guy at Decathlon. The other 2 times he beat me by 1 second, today I smashed him by over 1.5 seconds. :) Don't think he was expecting that. Despite all that I'm a little gutted not to have PB'ed. It would have been an excellent occasion to have done it, but perhaps it was expecting a lot after 9 hours at the track and 4 events in the legs. 55 surely will come next time when running it fresh.

1775 points overall after Day 1, 102 points more than at this stage last year. Day 2 will be a struggle but looking good for an overall Decathlon PB.

Had the full ice bath/ warm bath treatment this evening. The decathletes and heptathletes were able to get into the excellent facility owned by the Victorian Institute of Sport located beside the track. It could be a lifesaver ahead of tomorrow. Things aren't going to get any easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Very Solid first day fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great going. Running such a solid 400 tired will definitely help your strength and bring you into 55 territory next time.

Well the wheels fell off today on day 2 of the decathlon. Nothing for the hurdles followed by 16.67m for the discus (210 points) which is a PB. Then jumped a dismal 1.30m for the pole vault (27 points) which I guess can be called a PB simply because it is the first time I have actually ever cleared a height. Next up was a disgraceful javelin of 8.37m (14 points), something which I am ashamed of.

Restored pride at the end with a 5:04.36 for 1500m (535 points) which beats a PB I set back in 2003 by 12 seconds (haven't ran many though). Pretty chuffed at that. Finished 9th out of 17 in that so was happy to beat some of the top decathletes in that event. I ran 5:28 at decathlon last year, so the improvement is extremely noticeable, all based on my 400m speed endurance training.

Overall score was 2561 points which is a PB by almost 300 points, so overall am happy. But the javelin left a sour taste in the mouth and it cost me that 2600. Also feel like I didn't fully do the decathlon because I didn't attempt the hurdles (ran up to the first hurdle and walked off). But it's a tough event and I got through it so I should be happy.

The bulk of my points came in 3 events, with 4 other events solid but not great, and 3 disgraceful events, so am far from being a proper decathlete, but it's a great event and love being apart of it. A lot of fun and a great group of lads to compete against for the 2 days.

Will do up an event report over the coming days.

Cleanman wrote: »
    Great going. Running such a solid 400 tired will definitely help your strength and bring you into 55 territory next time.

Thanks. This is actually the main positive I am taking from the race.

Emergency massage this evening after work. Body is in bits after the weekend. No gym session this evening. Hopefully will be good to get back into training at the track tomorrow but will see how I feel. It may have to be a light session.

Decathlon report coming right up.

• Advertisement

Last season one of the highlights, if not the highlight was the State Championship decathlon. I had so much fun at it that I ensured that it would remain a part of my plans for this season. The coaches thought I was mad to be doing it, but 1) it gives me another 400m race before State Champs, and 2) It is a lot of fun and a great way of meeting people.

So it was up bright and early at 7am to get ready for what would be an extremely long day. Arrived at the track at 9am to check in, get settled and then begin my warm up for an 11am start for the 100m. Like last year all multi-eventers (Decathletes and Heptathletes) were given an air-conditioned room to chill out in between events. It's a great place for bonding and having banter between events and to pass the time. However unlike last year when we were in a changing room, we were given the President's Suite this year, with a perfect view of all the action on the track (the Victorian Junior Championships were being held simultaneously with our events).

Weather was lovely. Sunny weather, not much of a breeze early in the morning (it would inevitably pick up later in the day), and pretty warm. Good sprinting conditions. All I needed was a tail wind and I'd be laughing.

100m:

In total there were 18 starters in the decathlon, so there were 2 heats of 9 for the 100m. I was drawn in lane 5, with significantly faster people to either side of me. A club mate of mine who has gone 12.79 this season was a few lanes to the right of me and I was determined to beat him.

There were 3 key things I was focused on remembering when the gun was to go off: 1) knees up from the start, 2) head down, and 3) pump the arms super hard. I had not run a 100m since my PB of 12.92 with a +0.6 tail wind back in December. I was worried I may have gone rusty but a good set of 60s on Thursday had the confidence up.

Gun went off and I got out well. Kept the head down for around 30m, and then lifted it to find the guys on either side of me pulling away from me. Never mind, I just focused on myself and noticed my club mate about level with me, or maybe slightly ahead of me after 40 or 50m. However my speed endurance told and I was able to hold my form and pace for longer and edged ahead of him in the second half of the race to beat him with a little to spare. It was close but I knew I had got him. I finished 7th in the heat in a new PB of 12.82 seconds into a -0.7 m/s headwind, with my club mate finishing in 13.00. I was delighted with the time. I ran extremely well and felt great. Just frustrating that I got a headwind. With a 0 wind that time was worth 12.75, and with a legal tailwind I'd be in the 12.6 range. That's the frustrating thing about 100m and 200m. If you are after PBs, you rely on the weather a lot more than other distances.

So 12.82 seconds and overall I came 15th out of 18 in this event and scored 499 points.

Long Jump:

Sadly one lad had to pull out of the competition during the warm up of the Long Jump so we were left with 17 competitors (Thankfully he was the only one to drop out and the rest of us made it through the 10 events).

I hadn't done a long jump since the opening meet of the season at the Magpie Multis, and that wasn't a serious effort as I just did it in flats to get through it so I could run my 400m. On this occasion I would be taking it seriously though, even without any practice. Last season I did numerous long jump competitions and the best I managed all season was 4.32m (at the State Decathlon). I always thought of my PB as 4.50m as I jumped that when pissing about in Belfield over a couple of years back. But I haven't got close to this since, so maybe I hadn't measured it properly. So it is probably best to let that 4.50m "PB" die and not count it anymore.

I put on the sprint spikes and did around 4-5 warm up jumps to get into the groove and practice getting on the board. My sprint form is infinitely better than it was the last time I did this which posed new challenges. I kept stepping over the board on my warm ups, so had to move my run up back further than I used to.

First jump I landed a 4.31m, just 1cm off last year's mark. Interesting. Not practice or competition all year and I was right up on the very best I did all of last season. It goes to show that all my sprint work and gym work can still play some part even without good technique.

This gave me confidence and the second attempt I went further to 4.40m, which is a competition PB, and I guess at this stage I may aswell call it an actual PB. The final attempt I was a bit over the board but was told it didn't look any longer than the previous one.

So 4.40m and overall I came 16th out of 17 in this event and gained a solid, though unspectacular 273 points.

Shot Putt:

While I felt great after the 100m, the Long Jump had done some damage. It's murder on the legs, particularly the shins, and already my legs were beginning to get heavy. The shot putt though would spare the legs for awhile. As the event involves less movement (for me) than the others, after the long jump was the ideal time to fill up on lunch. I wasnt the only one doing this though, as all the top decathletes had the same thought process going through their heads.

Last year I threw a complete fluke of a PB of 6.51m. I had never got within 1m before than and in my 2 throws after also. This season I have done lots of competitions and have been consistently over 6m, with a best of 6.22m coming last week. Despite that I hoped for a PB.

I tried some of this chalk/ powder stuff they use for this event. Not sure it made much difference. It certainly didn't enhance my performance as I was extremely flat in the first 2 throws with 5.94m and 5.91m respectively. I did not want to fail to break 6m in the one comp that mattered. Thankfully I landed a better effort with my final attempt and managed 6.18m, just off my season's best. I was a bit disappointed overall though. Down on what I would have hoped, and down on last year.

So 6.18m to finish 17th out of 17 gaining a score of 259 points.

High Jump:

The high jump is one of those events where the difference in class becomes noticeable with people starting at different heights. Thankfully they had 2 pits going at the one time but even still by starting at a low height I was still holding many people up. I began at 1.10m because I hadn't jumped properly since my 1.26m PB in awful conditions back in October.

I cleared 1.10m comfortably first time, and passed at 1.13m. I cleared first time at 1.16m, but grazed the bar with my arse. I was told that I needed to lift my backside up when flopping over the bar. I clearly hadn't the faintest idea what I was doing and was just going on instinct. I cleared 1.19m on my second attempt, and then nailed 1.22m on the first attempt. I was feeling decent about my chances of equaling last year's 1.25m, and then hopefully land a PB of 1.28m, but unfortunately it all came crashing to an abrupt half, as I failed on all 3 attempts at 1.25m.

I was out extremely early so it was back to the decathlon room to try to take a short power nap to try regain some energy ahead of the 400m, while the others were sweating it out in the heat for another 45 minutes. I was starting to feel quite jaded.

So 1.22m to come 17th out of 17 with a score of 200 points.

400m:

Our 400m was supposed to be on at the offensive hour of 8.45pm. We complained that this was unfair as we have such a long day, so they decided to put us on before all the Junior 400m finals at 7.30pm. However at 5pm an announcement was made that it was now on at 6.10pm. I jumped up from my snoozy state in a bit of shock, looked at my watched, and thought I better get myself prepared. Just aswell I didnt stuff my face with too much food at 4.30pm thinking I wasnt on until 7.30pm.

When warming up for the 400m I felt so tired. Easily the most jaded I have ever felt in a warm up for a race. I got most of my usual warm up done and went to the start line. Unlike last year when they seeded the 400m based on the decathlon standings, it was all done at random this year. I was drawn in heat 3 of 3. I was delighted with my draw. I had lane 3, with a guy outside me in lane 6 who I have been wanting to race since October. I have raced him twice before in decathlons, and on both occasions he beat me by 1 second (58.0 to 59.1 last year, and 59.3 to 60.3 in October), and both times he was inside me and came past me at the 200m mark. After losing to him in October I said to myself that I would beat him in February. I was determined to. Nothing personal at all. Nice guy, and very good all round athlete, scoring 4700 points overall, and extremely consistent across the board, and the best of the lot at 1500m. But I looked at him as a sort of bench mark of my own progress, and the next time I was to hopefully race him I would be in the 55/56 shape.

Gun went off and after a good start disaster struck after 40m, I was getting a very minor spasm in my right calf. I pushed through and it went away quickly, but would keep coming back briefly 3 or 4 more times during the race. This is something which at times prevented me from upping it to 100% effort (though perhaps this could have been a good thing as I felt a lot more relaxed in this race than usual). After 50m or so the guy in lane 2 has eaten up the stagger on me. 3 of the guys are not going to be a factor in my race (they ended up 51-52). It was all about the guy in lane 6. I watched him like a hawk. It's a great feeling having somebody quick to chase and knowing you will get him. Coming up to the half way mark and I'm almost up on him, and I eat up the stagger on him with 170m to go. At that exact point I felt the calf twitch again and I briefly (for maybe 1-2 seconds) eased the effort level. I had to live with it now and hope I could just run through it. Thankfully it was just a minor spasm and I was good to keep running. Coming into the homestraight and I have shaken the other guy off so it is just a case of pushing as hard as I can. I finish about 35m down on the winner, so I sort of felt it was another 56. Overall it was a very weird race, and I dont think I felt quite as tired after as I usually do.

My time was 56.39 seconds which was just 0.13 off my PB, and my 3rd fastest ever. The guy I beat ran 57.9, so it was a comfortable and expected victory. I dont think he expected me to go past him like that though. I genuinely feel that had that race been first thing in the morning I would have nailed 55, and it is extremely encouraging that I could run so close to my PB when feeling tired and the body going against me. I'm very confident of hitting 55 now. Just worried I am running out of races. I definitely have 2 more left and hopefully I can get into the High Velocity race to give me a 3rd. I need conditions to be good to maximise my chances of running my best so the more races I can have lined up the better.

So 56.39 seconds to come 12th out of 17 and to score 544 points.

After Day 1 I stood in 16th place out of 17 with a score of 1775 points, over 100 up on the previous year. However the dreaded Day 2 was ahead of me.

Day 2 report to come tomorrow.

Advertisement